Questions regarding mental disorders and alternative medications

serotonin dopamine depression anxiety adhd

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Valijon

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:00 AM

I've spent years and years going to doctors for medical treatments for a few conditions. Anxiety depression and ADHD.

I'm a poor responder to SSRIs and SNRIs. I've been on Wellbutrin a couple times. It'd be great if I didn't need to do much all day long. A nice comfortable warmth and everything is slowed down. Too slow though and it comes with brain fog. So there I am feeling good but slow of mind and body.

Anything which increases serotonin is a no go. Too many side effects even weeks and weeks later. I don't seem to have a problem with low serotonin. I also think I have naturally high choline. Anything increasing choline caused brain fog and headaches.

Right now I'm trying to get by with nsi-189, Tianeptine, and noopept. These are doing a reasonably decent job keeping everything in check but, I still get anxious and depressed. Plus none of it helps me control my ADHD, I'm still inattentive and make what seem to other people as careless mistakes.

I need help controlling the lack of motivation, social anxiety, unexpected major depression etc.

#2 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:38 AM

Can you list everything you've been on?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Valijon

• Topic Starter
  • 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

Paxil, Trazadone, Effexor, Cymbalta, prozac, Wellbutrin, Buspar, Klonopin, a few other SSRIs I'm forgetting there somewhere and Adderall xr and it. Then there's Xanax and Ativan.

For non US pharmaceuticals I've tried Piracetam, Aniracetam, Oxiracetam, Adrafinil,Tianpetine both forms, nsi189, noopept. Many different vitamins and minerals.i just ordered some Bacopa to try next.
Oh yeah alpha GPC and 5htp

#4 psychejunkie

• 205 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:43 AM

I suggest trying Atomoxetine (Strattera)

• Agree x 1

#5 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:56 PM

Have you actually tried any of the classic stimulants? Amphetamine and Methylphenidate, that is. If you have ADHD, these two can actually do wonders.

With that said, make sure you don't have SCT, like me, because then it's probably Atomoxetine you need, much like PsycheJunkie said.

Read more about it here:

https://en.wikipedia...cognitive_tempo

SCT is a disorder of the Parietal Lobe (in contrast to ADHD which is mostly PFC-related), wherein norepinephrinergic circuitry in the brain is abberant, causing issues with wakeness and attention. If you space out and easily become fatigued, then chances are you have SCT.

#6 Valijon

• Topic Starter
  • 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:38 PM

Wow thanks! I've never heard of act. Methylphenidate yes, I get a range of horrific side effects. I end up focused on all the wrong things and in a rage. Definitely something to avoid. I've been on it long term twice now.It was wrong for my body chemistry. I'll look into sct right away. It's possible the adhd dx is wrong.

What about Nootropics for focus? I like noopept but, it's so short acting.

#7 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:56 PM

Wow thanks! I've never heard of act. Methylphenidate yes, I get a range of horrific side effects. I end up focused on all the wrong things and in a rage. Definitely something to avoid. I've been on it long term twice now.It was wrong for my body chemistry. I'll look into sct right away. It's possible the adhd dx is wrong.

Those are useless.

For those of us born with tremendous genetic aberrations in our brains, then those simply don't work.

The tried and true are the tried and true for a reason here - if you're ADHD then Amphetamine WILL work.

If you're SCT, then there's a good chance Atomoxetine will work. However, there's also a chance for Reboxetine or Viloxazine to work - they are NRI's as well.

#8 Lia-chan

• 53 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:06 AM

Those are useless.

For those of us born with tremendous genetic aberrations in our brains, then those simply don't work.

The tried and true are the tried and true for a reason here - if you're ADHD then Amphetamine WILL work.

If you're SCT, then there's a good chance Atomoxetine will work. However, there's also a chance for Reboxetine or Viloxazine to work - they are NRI's as well.

Viloxazine according to it's binding profile and how it acts on mAchr is also not an option...

Blockade of nAchr and first of all mAchr may cause dementia in the long term.

#9 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:54 AM

First of all, I would say you've seen what I call a 'standard pdoc'. One who doesn't know much beyond the typical SSRIs, SNRIs, and whatever shiny sample packets the pharmaceutical companies put in front of them. In terms of the range of pharmacopia out there, you really haven't tried much.

Don't fall into the trap around here of a simplified view of neurotransmitters, such as "anything that increases my serotonin" is a no-go. That would not be the case. It seems to be that drugs that are that are SSRIs or SNRIs don't work well for you. These drugs that work by increasing serotonin, don't actually relive depression by increasing serotonin. We now know that the serotonin theory of depression is false. We actually don't know how or why they help with depression, but theories include, downstream downregulation of the 5HT2a receptor, and increased allopregenolone.

You also have little way of knowing if you have "too much" or "too little" choline. No one really does, and it's rarely that simple.

I'd like to help you out, but I would need you to start with as few assumptions as possible. Also, how flexible is your doc in prescriptions?

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#10 Valijon

• Topic Starter
  • 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:24 PM

My Dr? A tight fisted miser about anything not big name brand or which has a generic form of big name brand mega pharma medication.

What are your suggestions onescrewloose? I feel like I've been on this merry go round forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users