New Epigenetic-Based Aging Marker

aging theory epigenetics

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JustGetMeIntoSpace

• 67 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:19 PM

One of the things I find troubling are the # of good aging markers that we have (unless I am really missing something).  Telomere length seems good for example, but how many others are there?  Looks like they may be onto something here tho:

https://www.nih.gov/...dict-longevity 

Also, notice that this is immune cell related.  It always seems to go back to the immune system, eh?

"The researchers tested different models of epigenetic age. Different cell types—even similar ones like various blood cell types—have different epigenetic patterns. As people get older, the mix of immune cells in their blood shifts. When these age-related changes to blood cell composition were factored in, the researchers’ epigenetic age model predicted mortality from all causes better than previous measures of epigenetic age. The relationship between epigenetic age and mortality was significant within both sexes and across all the ethnic groups in the study.

“Our findings show that the epigenetic clock was able to predict the lifespans of Caucasians, Hispanics, and African-Americans in these cohorts, even after adjusting for traditional risk factors like age, gender, smoking, body-mass index, and disease history,” says NIA’s Dr. Brian Chen, the study’s first author."

#2 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:07 AM

I think epigenetic measurements as a response to food intake, exercise would ultimately be a better measure of metabolic health.  I'm not sure there is enough data and an ability to reliability test, yet though.

I'm somewhat suspect of the telomere tests, because they specifically measure leukocyte telomere length.  While that measurement is well and good, it doesn't explain telomere length in many other tissues in the body.  

I've had the Life Length telomere test done, too.  I think I was one of the first handful in the US to order it.  I'm just not convinced it's all that useful, particularly for my own situation where I think I am at lower cancer risk than the average person.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 JustGetMeIntoSpace

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:26 AM

I think epigenetic measurements as a response to food intake, exercise would ultimately be a better measure of metabolic health.  I'm not sure there is enough data and an ability to reliability test, yet though.

I'm somewhat suspect of the telomere tests, because they specifically measure leukocyte telomere length.  While that measurement is well and good, it doesn't explain telomere length in many other tissues in the body.  

I've had the Life Length telomere test done, too.  I think I was one of the first handful in the US to order it.  I'm just not convinced it's all that useful, particularly for my own situation where I think I am at lower cancer risk than the average person.

Absolutely.  I want to get the Spectrocell test done, but I realize just how questionable it is.  I guess I feel that if I can halt or improve that, there I have a reasonable chance that I've halted or improved other tissue telomeres as well.  Maybe that's erroneous thinking though - love to hear from someone who  knows more.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:13 AM

Absolutely.  I want to get the Spectrocell test done, but I realize just how questionable it is.  I guess I feel that if I can halt or improve that, there I have a reasonable chance that I've halted or improved other tissue telomeres as well.  Maybe that's erroneous thinking though - love to hear from someone who  knows more.

I specifically had the life length test done because it evaluates critically short telomeres in addition to median telomere length.  That was kind of interesting.  It didn't just tell me that I had longer telomeres than average, but that I had a very small percentage of critically short teleomeres and there is some data out there suggesting it is the portion of critically short telomeres that signal danger.

Something to consider, if you decide to get it done.  

Edited by prophets, 06 November 2016 - 11:14 AM.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 JustGetMeIntoSpace

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:03 PM

I specifically had the life length test done because it evaluates critically short telomeres in addition to median telomere length.  That was kind of interesting.  It didn't just tell me that I had longer telomeres than average, but that I had a very small percentage of critically short teleomeres and there is some data out there suggesting it is the portion of critically short telomeres that signal danger.

Something to consider, if you decide to get it done.  

Noted and much appreciated.  The "only thru a physician" part bugs me when it comes to anti-aging, but anyway:  what's the cost and how accessible is this for those in the U.S.?  Didn't see that anywhere.

Pretty good resources here on their site for those int'd:

http://lifelength.com/telomeres-101/

Edited by peak Testosterone, 06 November 2016 - 09:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users