- - - - -

How Does LED Therapy Remove Wrinkles?

crosslinks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eighthman

• 155 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:40 AM

It seems that red LED therapy can improve skin condition and reduce wrinkles.

I thought wrinkles were a direct effect of cross-links and AGE products.  Is there any chance that light therapy somehow removes cross-links?

Gets macrophages to eat 'em?  I can't find any suggestions of this in studies.....

• Needs references x 1
  • unsure x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#2 mrkosh1

• 232 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

What would be significant is if LED therapy could somehow result in the breakdown of glucosepane.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 eighthman

• Topic Starter
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

Exactly.  I don't know about any studies on this that offer any answers.

#4 Oakman

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

Sorry to be captain obvious here, but try googling your statement, "red LED therapy can improve skin condition and reduce wrinkles", from your 1st post, as I did.

One example - https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3926176/

#5 eighthman

• Topic Starter
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:35 PM

I can't find clear answers in the study.  It seems to say that macrophages are stimulated but what is the practical effect of that?  Is there more collagen formed or something more - as with AGE junk removed somehow?

I would appreciate looking younger but I'd appreciate losing senescent cells or crosslinks even more.

#6 Oakman

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

Well, the discussion kinda says ... something here - I don't fully understand, but there are lots of references to go to if you want... But isn't this an answer concerning increasing fibroblast proliferation and motility??

"Previous findings were able c toorrelate fibroblast activity and dermal matrix remodeling processes, with an increase in intradermal collagen density and reduced signs of aging.18 The proposed underlying mechanisms include the photostimulation of terminal molecules in the electron transport chain and the subsequent adenosine triphosphate (ATP) concentration increase,14 along with the selective light-driven activation of water molecules,19 thereby enhancing metabolic exchange and influencing the ion transporter systems found in cellular membranes.20 Detailed analysis of the gene expression profiles in human fibroblasts revealed an influence of low-intensity red light with a 628-nm wavelength on 111 different genes that are involved in cellular functions, such as cell proliferation; apoptosis; stress response; protein, lipid and carbohydrate metabolism; mitochondrial energy metabolism; DNA synthesis and repair; antioxidant related functions; and cytoskeleton- and cell-cell interaction-related functions.21 A specific role of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in increasing fibroblast proliferation and motility has recently been reported, suggesting that the elevation of ROS via photodynamic therapy can enhance the cellular functions of dermal fibroblasts through specific mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) signaling pathways in vitro.22 The light-induced free radical formation in human skin has been investigated in detail, demonstrating that red light with 620 and 670 nm wavelengths increases the concentration of ROS even without the influence of external photosensitizers.23"

#7 eighthman

• Topic Starter
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:05 AM

Yeah, I don't see any clarity here.  OK, we get fibroblast activity but are we saying that's all of it? It mentions cytoskeleton and cell-cell interaction-related functions but more explanation is needed. That stuff might be cross-link or AGE related.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users