* * - - - 3 votes

Mood drops, hit with sudden depression right after eating

depression meal

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#31 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:09 AM

Guys.. I have some vitamin, amino acids, mineral deficiencies due some gene mutations. 

gif-how-did-you-know-that.gif

• Agree x 1

#32 glws

• 6 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:07 AM

I have this problem too and I agree with the hypothesis of 'reactive hypoglycaemia'. I've seen it described as a 'post-prandial dip' or 'mid-afternoon slump'. I experience it less when I'm more physically active, which leads me to think it's related to insulin sensitivity. Apart from being more physically active, apple cider vinegar seems to help when taken about 30mins before a meal. Here's a study that shows how much ACV attenuates insulin response and blood glucose spikes after a meal.

http://care.diabetes...ontent/27/1/281

Edit: I take ACV in tablet form, which really helps with adherence. It's affordable, too!

Edited by glws, 01 January 2017 - 10:10 AM.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Dichotohmy

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:04 AM

I have this problem too and I agree with the hypothesis of 'reactive hypoglycaemia'. I've seen it described as a 'post-prandial dip' or 'mid-afternoon slump'. I experience it less when I'm more physically active, which leads me to think it's related to insulin sensitivity.

The problem is that one's glucose does not necessarilly reach the level of hypoglycemia. I have tested my blood glucose numerous occaisions when the post-prandial malaise hits, and have never observed a hypoglycemic state. I recall the OP also mentioning that actual hypoglycemia doesn't occur.

At best I can say for me it is the natural fall in glucose, folliwing the postprandial peak, that produces symptoms. Either the endocrine system is freaking out inappropriately to a natural fall in glucose, and causing idiopathic postprandial syndrome-like symptoms, or some other poorly understood physiological phenomenon is occuring. It does seem to for me that symptoms follow this 1-2 hour delayed pattern. Perhaps for others like the OP, who describe symptoms within minutes of eating, theres something totally different happening. No doubt there are a variety of possible causes and insulin resistance or oversensitivity is another factor to consider.

Edited by Dichotohmy, 02 January 2017 - 06:05 AM.

• like x 1

#34 glws

• 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:53 AM

I have this problem too and I agree with the hypothesis of 'reactive hypoglycaemia'. I've seen it described as a 'post-prandial dip' or 'mid-afternoon slump'. I experience it less when I'm more physically active, which leads me to think it's related to insulin sensitivity.

The problem is that one's glucose does not necessarilly reach the level of hypoglycemia. I have tested my blood glucose numerous occaisions when the post-prandial malaise hits, and have never observed a hypoglycemic state. I recall the OP also mentioning that actual hypoglycemia doesn't occur.

At best I can say for me it is the natural fall in glucose, folliwing the postprandial peak, that produces symptoms. Either the endocrine system is freaking out inappropriately to a natural fall in glucose, and causing idiopathic postprandial syndrome-like symptoms, or some other poorly understood physiological phenomenon is occuring. It does seem to for me that symptoms follow this 1-2 hour delayed pattern. Perhaps for others like the OP, who describe symptoms within minutes of eating, theres something totally different happening. No doubt there are a variety of possible causes and insulin resistance or oversensitivity is another factor to consider.

It might be a complex interaction between insulin, cortisol and glucose levels. Insulin itself has a range of actions, chief of which (in relation to blood glucose levels), is upregulating GLUT4 receptors on cell membranes, increasing the influx of glucose into cells. Cortisol blocks this effect, contributing to insulin resistance in a chronic stress model. In an insulin resistant state, the blood glucose levels may be normal or even on the high side but the cells are unable to take it in and utilise it, causing brain fog, lethargy, hunger/excessive eating. That's why "starvation in the midst of plenty" is sometimes used to describe the diabetic state. 

I'm still not sure how this relates to a seemingly well-regulated normoglycaemic state post-feeding which you just described, but it tells me that it is possible to experience hypoglycaemic symptoms without actually becoming hypoglycaemic. 

Another explanation I can think of is the suppression of Orexin-A after a blood glucose spike. Orexin-A is a neuropeptide that stimulates wakefulness and feeding. Fasting increases plasma OXA and high glucose levels inhibit it. It may be possible that a high enough spike in glucose after a large meal or an insulin resistant state is robbing the brain of this stimulatory neuropeptide.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/11283317

http://diabetes.diab...ontent/52/1/111

In summary, I am thinking that the more we are able to control blood glucose spikes, the lesser the post-prandial dip. I would experiment and tackle this myself through:

1) Enhancing insulin sensitivity: supplements and/or physical activity

2) Eating more prolonged release carbs and/or optimising ratio of carbs to protein/fats

3) Modifying meal times and sizes

• Good Point x 1

#35 RYAN474

• 45 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:02 AM

Not sure if this was mentioned but in addition to the selfhacked post about fatigue after meals, it's worth looking into SIBO. And the Autoimmune Paleo Diet. Massive improvement for me when started the AIP.  

#36 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:21 AM

The physical symptoms [of high norepinephrine] may include rapid fatiguemuscle tension/cramps,irritability, and a sense of being on edge. Almost all anxiety disorders involve norepinephrine elevations. Severe and sudden increases in norepinephrine are associated with panic attacks.

Suspected idiopathic postprandial hypoglycemia is associated with beta-adrenergic hypersensitivity and emotional distress.

I'm wondering, OP, do you fit any of those symptoms?  If so, consider the usage of DBH inhibitors to lower NE.  Your options include ginseng, wheat, the california poppy, st johns, a diet low in copper, as well as one low in tyrosine/phenylalanine when combined with DRIs such as ginkgo, tea

Edited by gamesguru, 03 January 2017 - 03:30 AM.

#37 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

One of the 100s of supplements I took trying to fix my depression inadvertently cured my esophagus / gut ache issue. 

which one is it if i may ask?

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1

#38 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:37 PM

I have this problem too and I agree with the hypothesis of 'reactive hypoglycaemia'. I've seen it described as a 'post-prandial dip' or 'mid-afternoon slump'. I experience it less when I'm more physically active, which leads me to think it's related to insulin sensitivity. Apart from being more physically active, apple cider vinegar seems to help when taken about 30mins before a meal. Here's a study that shows how much ACV attenuates insulin response and blood glucose spikes after a meal.

http://care.diabetes...ontent/27/1/281

Edit: I take ACV in tablet form, which really helps with adherence. It's affordable, too!

It might be a complex interaction between insulin, cortisol and glucose levels. Insulin itself has a range of actions, chief of which (in relation to blood glucose levels), is upregulating GLUT4 receptors on cell membranes, increasing the influx of glucose into cells. Cortisol blocks this effect, contributing to insulin resistance in a chronic stress model. In an insulin resistant state, the blood glucose levels may be normal or even on the high side but the cells are unable to take it in and utilise it, causing brain fog, lethargy, hunger/excessive eating. That's why "starvation in the midst of plenty" is sometimes used to describe the diabetic state. 

I'm still not sure how this relates to a seemingly well-regulated normoglycaemic state post-feeding which you just described, but it tells me that it is possible to experience hypoglycaemic symptoms without actually becoming hypoglycaemic. 

Another explanation I can think of is the suppression of Orexin-A after a blood glucose spike. Orexin-A is a neuropeptide that stimulates wakefulness and feeding. Fasting increases plasma OXA and high glucose levels inhibit it. It may be possible that a high enough spike in glucose after a large meal or an insulin resistant state is robbing the brain of this stimulatory neuropeptide.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/11283317

http://diabetes.diab...ontent/52/1/111

In summary, I am thinking that the more we are able to control blood glucose spikes, the lesser the post-prandial dip. I would experiment and tackle this myself through:

1) Enhancing insulin sensitivity: supplements and/or physical activity

2) Eating more prolonged release carbs and/or optimising ratio of carbs to protein/fats

3) Modifying meal times and sizes

interesting discussion here.

i have some of that too, but mostly in AM. i feel much better (short term) if i skip breakfasts, but that makes me very hungry in PM and i tend to overeat at nightime, gain weight, have sleep apnea, and feel much worse long term.

i'll go ahead and measure blood glucose every 15 minutes after breakfast tomorrow to see if any trends.

i'll get that ACV tablet too, because drinking it (even diluted) messes up my teeth.

• Ill informed x 2

#39 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

there is also very good discussion here: https://www.quora.co...ue-after-eating

there are my hypotheses:

1. people predisposed to depression are pushed easily even by physiologic function of digestion (see the first answer on parasympathetic system).

2. lowish orexin function getting worse after eating (not sure how to test for that, short of loading on modafinil before meals).

3. postprandial dip in glucose (should be easy to test), but i have it with either high carb or low carb breakfasts.

4. all of the above.

i don't buy the food allergy part because i have it even when avoiding offending foods (gluten and dairy).

i also don't have diabetes either (i'm positive, LOL).

Edited by jack black, 06 January 2017 - 06:16 PM.

• Ill informed x 2
  • like x 1

#40 Madman

• 45 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

If gut function is less than optimal, often without obvious symptoms this could easily be to blame, if required nutrients are not being absorbed and or only a few specific kinds are being absorbed properly creating imbalances, then brain chemistry will suffer and resulting mood.

Many people have less than optimal gut functioning, but because they have become accustomed to it over a long time, they think its a disorder of the brain or any other labeled condition and want to find a medical treatment/supplement rather than treat the simple cause.

A huge amount of labeled conditions can be caused by gut issues and or poor/faulty diet without needing drugs with horrible side effects.

Edited by Madman, 06 January 2017 - 09:24 PM.

• like x 1

#41 glws

• 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:39 AM

Good discussion going in the quora thread!

A sluggish digestive system might also be to blame. I don't buy the hypothesis that PNS activation causes the kind of fatigue in post-prandial dips. If so, deliberately activating the PNS through means such as deep breathing, meditation, taking hot showers etc should trigger the same feeling but they don't - in fact they make you feel refreshed and gives you a calm focus. Also, vagal nerve stimulation works on the principle of stimulating the PNS, and it's used to treat depression. If anything, the lack of a PNS response in a stressed individual might slow digestion. PNS activation stimulates release of digestive enzymes and mucus in the gut. With slower breakdown and transit of food in the gut, more energy is expended for longer to break it down (through paracrine signalling to coordinate peristaltic movements etc). Perhaps this is responsible for the energy drain. Longer gut transit times also mean more exposure to toxins in the food (hypothesised to be the connection between low fibre intake and colon cancer), slower breakdown of potential allergens, and altered gut flora balance - all of which might affect the mental state.

Why now and why us? I don't remember being bothered by this in the past. Sometimes I do wonder if fillers in supplements contribute to a poorer digestion and absorption e.g. magnesium stearate. I didn't used to be bothered by post-prandial dips in the past when I paid no attention to supplementation. But it might be the blessing of a youthful physiology or differences in attentional focus on my physiological state. Perhaps life stressors have taken a toll on our digestive systems. Or maybe we are leading more time-pressured lives and we are pushing ourselves harder, squeezing more minutes out of each day and getting frustrated and upset that our body isn't keeping up with our demands. 

With all this being said, perhaps another potential remedy to explore is digestive enzyme tablets +/- probiotics.

Edited by glws, 07 January 2017 - 08:47 AM.

• like x 1

#42 Madman

• 45 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

Glws - Why now and why us ?

Hormones play an important part in gut / digestive health, as an individual ages gut lining deteriorates, due to declining testosterone levels and Growth hormone, both help keep the gut functioning optimally, (sorry I have not got any references), obviously these hormone balances are slightly different in women, but the result is deterioration of gut function and more inflammation as we age, leading to sluggish digestion / poor absorption and possible leakly gut.

This cascade is preventable and can be reversed with TRT for men and treatable with L-Glutamine and a collagen powder supplement (provides source material for gut repair and health), pro / pre biotics, fibre rich diet with vegetables, and the peptides TB-500 with or BPC157 (both repair the the gut)

Edited by Madman, 07 January 2017 - 10:48 AM.

• Agree x 1

#43 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

today i started my experiment with postprandial glucose, even though i overslept "a bit" on this cold weekend.

pre-breakfast glucose 96mg/dl.

i tried to replicate yesterday breakfast (that made me very tired) as closely as i could: a big cup of steamed cabbage with broth, butter, and eggs; one slice of gluten free bread with mayo and turkey: a total of 570kcal, 42g fat, 32g carbs, 22g proteins (way more than i though it would be before calorie counting).

15min after bkfst: 113mg/dl.

30min after bkfst 120mg/dl.

45min after bkfst 128mg/dl (this is when i started to feel a bit tired).

60min after bkfst 120mg/dl (mildly tired).

80min after bkfst 86mg/dl (mildly tired).

I will continue this, but there are some differences between today and yesterday. i'm way less tired after eating today. but this was brunch rather than breakfast and unlike at work yesterday, i'm comfortably resting at home.

Edited by jack black, 07 January 2017 - 05:40 PM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1

#44 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

i got even more tired 125 min after bkfst with glucose of 94mg/dl. but it was after a short walk.

here is what i'm thinking. the tired feeling started exactly at the time of max blood glucose levels. I suspect 2 things happened:

1. insulin release facilitated tryptophan transport into brain and hence increased serotonin production. i googled and it's apparently common for diabetics to feel tired after insulin injections.

2. higher glucose inhibited orexin production.

i'm still not 100% sure as i remember a similar or worse reaction after eggs only breakfast (low carbs).

• like x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#45 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

Guys, for it's definitely not a gut issues. If anything I digest the nutrients in my foods way too fast. Unless a fast acting gut is an issue.

I believe my issue lies in either, sulfur, methionine (sulfur precurosr), or a neurotransmitter imbalances due to deficiencies in inhibitory neurotransmitters like gaba etc.. What I'm absolutely sure about is that I'm intolerance to sulfur. All sulfur base amino acids make me feel like total shit, (nac, methionine, ala, glutathione, same) cofactors to make sulfurs like zinc and b6 make me feel messed up too.

Edited by iseethelight, 07 January 2017 - 09:43 PM.

• unsure x 2

#46 glws

• 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:08 AM

I supplement with Tryptophan and 5-HTP from time to time but it doesn't give rise to fatigue. Lazy from feeling overly content with life yes, but not fatigue. In fact sometimes it hits me with a wave of positivity that helps me get started on things I've been procrastinating on. I'm aware that my experience can't be generalised to everyone though.

Perhaps try to work with Orexin? This guy gives a list of suggestions https://selfhacked.c...igue-naturally/

A word of caution though - that is web opinion given by a biohacking enthusiast. Whenever I read claims like that, I question whether the writer has jumped to strong conclusions based on essentially ambiguous or weak research findings. Or, if an association is found, how strong is it? E.g. how much of ___ do I have to take in order to increase ___ by how many %? What sort of clinical/noticeable/subjective/objective response would that give rise to and to what magnitude?

From his list, I know Kombucha works reliably for me in boosting mood, energy, alertness, and feeling of well-being. Best way I can describe the feeling it gives me is the subjective experience of my head and body receiving a breath of cool fresh air - I can think more clearly, my limbs feel lighter as if my cells are generating more energy. I haven't used it specifically to remedy a post-prandial dip though, and it isn't convenient enough for me to use it regularly. But it makes me think this - what if its effects are indeed to do with the lactate and butyrate content?

This paper shows how supplying lactate, pyruvate to slices of mice brain inhibits the inhibitory effect of glucose on Orexin cells. http://onlinelibrary...1.217000/full. 

The data suggests electrical activity of orexin neurons is more potently inhibited by glucose when intracellular energy levels are low, and that they progressively cease to sense glucose as intracellular energy levels increase. This was supported by the data showing increasing energy levels (in the form of cytosolic levels of pyruvate, lactate, or ATP) progressively block glucose responses.

However, this study was done on slices of mice brain and the substrates were directly added to the cells. It showed that addition of 5 mM of lactate reduced Orexin cell response by 26%; 5mM of pyruvate reduced the response by 95%. What doses do these translate to if we were to ingest these substrates directly? If taken orally, how much of it makes it to the human brain?

It also gives me another thought. Some strains of gut bacteria naturally produce this by fermenting the food we eat. What if post-prandial dip hits some people harder because their gut flora is altered in such a way that they have less lactate/butyrate producing strains. This means a higher 'signal-to-noise ratio' of glucose over other metabolic substrates (lactate, butyrate) hitting the brain, causing a stronger Orexin suppression response. Again, this would support the use of pre/probiotics and dietary modifications (not simply the glycemic index or carb/protein/fat ratio) to influence energy metabolism in our brain and body.

Edited by glws, 08 January 2017 - 04:26 AM.

• like x 1

#47 Madman

• 45 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

Guys, for it's definitely not a gut issues. If anything I digest the nutrients in my foods way too fast. Unless a fast acting gut is an issue.

I believe my issue lies in either, sulfur, methionine (sulfur precurosr), or a neurotransmitter imbalances due to deficiencies in inhibitory neurotransmitters like gaba etc.. What I'm absolutely sure about is that I'm intolerance to sulfur. All sulfur base amino acids make me feel like total shit, (nac, methionine, ala, glutathione, same) cofactors to make sulfurs like zinc and b6 make me feel messed up too.

Your belief that you digest way to fast could possibly point to a leaky gut or other gut problem, too fast is not normal for gut health.

Also why do you believe your having problems with sulfur, do you perhaps have egg flavored burps sometimes ? (No offense meant) - This could point to a gut flora issue, a gut flora problem could also be causing your problems with neurotransmitters.

A poorly functioning gut will cause all the problems you describe including neurotransmitter inbalances due to poor absorption and or a leaky gut.

If you took a supplement in the past and it helped your intestines positively its highly likely now that the problem is still there or in a worse condition, fixing a gut takes a long time to get into a healthy state, its not a quick fix kind of process.

Edited by Madman, 08 January 2017 - 11:04 AM.

• Agree x 1

#48 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:23 PM

Sulfur intolerance has nothing to do with burps or smells. Sulfur induces depression, fatigue, anhedonia in people with sulfur metabolism issues due to cystathionine beta synthase disorders... 

Edited by iseethelight, 08 January 2017 - 04:25 PM.

• unsure x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#49 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

i see that my glucose measurements are rated as dangerous and irresponsible. i guess it'll keep it to myself then. this is the only problem i have with this forum. it takes a few passive aggressive types to spoil the whole thing.

over and out. good luck folks!

• Ill informed x 1

#50 Madman

• 45 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

Sulfur intolerance has nothing to do with burps or smells. Sulfur induces depression, fatigue, anhedonia in people with sulfur metabolism issues due to cystathionine beta synthase disorders... 

Sulfur smells like eggs, sulfur smelling burps are a common issue with bacterial overgrowth in the intestines but obviously your referring to individuals with sulfur metabolism issues as you so politely explained :)

How do you know you have a sulfur intolerance ?

How do you know you have genetic mutations causing your mineral deficiencies ?

From your posts above its seems you feel bad eating just about anything, fats, protein, carbs etc, everything you eat seems to trigger these symptoms.

Its obvious you don't want my help or any other help that conflicts with your own theory, so I will leave this post to you.........good luck.

Jack Black - I agree, there was nothing wrong with your glucose measurements at all, I was surprised by the negative feedback on your post also.

Edited by Madman, 08 January 2017 - 05:49 PM.

• like x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#51 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

I did genetic testing to find my mutations. Did 23andme then ran data thru geneticgenie.

• unsure x 1

#52 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:29 PM

i see that my glucose measurements are rated as dangerous and irresponsible. i guess it'll keep it to myself then. this is the only problem i have with this forum. it takes a few passive aggressive types to spoil the whole thing.

over and out. good luck folks!

Dude you can't worry about people's ratings, continue to do your testing. I've got more negative ratings than positives in this thread but i don't give a fuck, I will speak what I feel and believe in at the moment. You can't allow online ratings to affect you like that, it's weak..

• Unfriendly x 2
  • Agree x 2

#53 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:06 PM

Dude you can't worry about people's ratings, continue to do your testing. I've got more negative ratings than positives in this thread but i don't give a fuck, I will speak what I feel and believe in at the moment. You can't allow online ratings to affect you like that, it's weak..

I definitely agree, ratings don't matter at all - this isn't Reddit. You are making great contributions, Jack, keep it on!

• Enjoying the show x 1

#54 Chris12123

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

I've had simular problems after eating. The things that made me feel bad were sugar, most carbs and animal fats. Porridge and buckweat (i.e. groats, soba noodles, pasta) were the only carb sources I could eat without feeling totally awful. Having said that I could add other things to the buckwheat and feel ok i.e. chopped tomatos, kidney beans (you have to boil them for about 1 hour out of the can if you decide to eat a lot of them), vegetables. Fish was fine but I needed to eat it with buckwheat. Cheese and milk made me feel bad. Exercise helped hugely. The supplement ionic chromium helped a lot. 

Most peolpe didn't believe I was having a real problem but try it if you are desperate. It isn't expensive to have a bowl of porridge and go for a run =) (I had mine with rice milk. it's carby but I still felt ok).  I remember that if my energy was messed up (i.e. anxiety, couldn't think clearly, lacking physical energy etc) and I had some porridge it took a while for me to feel normal again... hours. Good luck :)

Edit: I think your problem might be the same as mine i.e. sugar intolerance. Buckwheat apparantly has a chemical in it that reduces blood sugar levels and it worked for me. Even brown rice made me feel terrible, even chickpeas. Cinnamon is suppose to lower blood sugar levels but every time I tried it my energy would tank way too much. There's this guy called Dr.udo and he says that saturated fats (there's a lot in aminal fat, but I guess you already know that) gets used in our cell membranes and then it's more difficult for sugar to get into the cell. I have no idea if that's true but I did feel terrible after eating animal fat and the energy deficit afterwards would last for days even if I went back to my normal (aminal free) diet. 

I don't know anything really apart from: eating the way I described really helped me, along with doing loads of exercise :)

Edit: I had to eat regularly too, about every 3hrs in fact, to maintain my energy levels. Thanks gamesguru.

Edited by Chris12123, 09 January 2017 - 01:01 PM.

• Informative x 1

#55 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

re: chromium.  According to wiki, several other things may help... regularly eating (grazing, 3 hr spacing), eating a wider variety of colorful and high-fibre foods, exercising, practicing intermittent or low-carb fasting, and stress reduction/use of adaptogens.  I didn't find any evidence here for cinnamon.

Effects of supplemental chromium on patients with symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia

Richard A. Anderson , a, b, cMarilyn M. Polansky a, b, cNoella A. Bryden a, b, cSam J. Bhathena a, b, cJohn J. Canary a, b, c

Abstract

To determine if chromium (Cr) is involved in hypoglycemia, eight female patients with symptoms of hypoglycemia were supplemented with 200 μg of Cr as chromic chloride for three months in a double-blind crossover experimental design study. Chromium supplementation alleviated the hypoglycemic symptoms and significantly raised the minimum serum glucose values observed two to four hours following a glucose load. Insulin binding to red blood cells and insulin receptor number also improved significantly during Cr supplementation. These data suggest that impaired Cr nutrition and/or metabolism may be a factor in the etiology of hypoglycemia.

Edited by gamesguru, 09 January 2017 - 12:57 PM.

• like x 1

#56 Chris12123

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

http://www.webmd.com...ts-for-diabetes

Several small studies have linked cinnamon to better blood sugar levels. Some of this work shows it may curb blood sugar by lowering insulin resistance.

In one study, volunteers ate from 1 to 6 grams of cinnamon for 40 days. (One gram of ground cinnamon is about half a teaspoon.) The researchers found that cinnamon cut cholesterol by about 18% and blood sugar levels by 24%. But in other studies, the spice did not lower blood sugar or cholesterol levels.

They also warn about taking cinnamon together with chromium, which I was. 

http://www.webmd.com...manage-diabetes

New research shows that the extract of buckwheat lowered meal-related blood sugar levels by 12%-19% when given to rats bred to have diabetes.

Researchers say if further studies confirm these results, buckwheat may be used as a nutritional supplement or incorporated as a food into the diets of people with diabetes to help manage the disease.

Not very conclusive, being that rats were used in the study but it worked for me. :)

Edited by Chris12123, 09 January 2017 - 01:40 PM.

• Informative x 1

#57 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

Porridge and buckweat (i.e. groats, soba noodles, pasta) were the only carb sources I could eat without feeling totally awful.

What kind of Porridge? Oatmeal?
  • Ill informed x 1

#58 Chris12123

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

Porridge and buckweat (i.e. groats, soba noodles, pasta) were the only carb sources I could eat without feeling totally awful.

What kind of Porridge? Oatmeal?

Yeah, Oatmeal

• like x 1

#59 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:32 PM

What about barley or wild black rice?  I'm pretty sure the dark german rye bread is also low GI (the stuff that comes in a square package with no end slices).  Sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, non-starchy vegetables, most fruits, lentils and beans are also fine.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Chris12123

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:43 PM

What about barley or wild black rice?  I'm pretty sure the dark german rye bread is also low GI (the stuff that comes in a square package with no end slices).  Sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, non-starchy vegetables, most fruits, lentils and beans are also fine.

I don't know about wild black rice. I know that german rye bread I think, it could be ok. I couldn't eat fruit, peas, sweet potatoes or carrots by themselves but I could have them with buckwheat in moderation. 

Buckwheat is weird to eat because in my experience there's no sugar "bump" like when eating bread or rice. It feels very unsatisfying to eat if you're on a sugar downer and are craving that "sugar bump" and it doesn't matter how much you eat, you won't get that "carb fix". 

This is the last comment I'm allowed to post today =)

Edited by Chris12123, 09 January 2017 - 04:58 PM.

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, meal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users