• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Sulforaphane and Nicotinamide Riboside: The best combination for maximizing AMPK and the SIRTULINS?

sulfora sulforaphane nicotinamide riboside nad+ sirt1 ampk nrf2 pgc1a bioavailability potency

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
537 replies to this topic

#391 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:37 PM

Yeah I will work towards doing that more often. I have sprouted the seeds now and then, but rarely because I don't find it convenient. I will say the sprouts do taste significantly better than the crushed seeds. I need to get something more proper to sprout them in, have been using a protein shaker I laid on the side with the plastic strainer left, not the best setup but it works.

With the seeds what I have done is take 1 teaspoon (5 grams in my case) and mix it with some defrosted frozen green kale and an orange or white grapefruit, and eat this a few times per week. I don't know if it is the bitter taste at play but I feel somewhat more energized having eaten it.

From the reports I have seen a typical intake of erucic acid varies (just from regular diet). Some on that in these links (I haven't read it all yet) http://onlinelibrary....2016.4593/full

http://www.foodstand...d monograph.pdf

Edited by Keizo, 16 December 2017 - 03:47 PM.

#392 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:44 PM

then freeze them (which enhances sulforaphane) 

Hi Nate,

Do you have a source you can point me to?  I seemed to have missed that one.

Mike

#393 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:47 PM

The seed husks can cause mild nausea...I assume as a deterrent to predators.  I use a spaghetti strainer to remove as many as possible.

#394 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:58 PM

The seed husks can cause mild nausea...I assume as a deterrent to predators.  I use a spaghetti strainer to remove as many as possible.

Useful to know, thank you. I was wondering what was making me feel ill. Any tips for improving on the taste generally? 

#395 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

Removing the husks greatly improved the taste for me.  My wife adds a little salt and pepper to hers.  I also follow Rhonda Patrick's method of heating the sprouts to maximize sulforaphane as described earlier in the thread.

Edited by mikela, 17 December 2017 - 04:54 PM.

#396 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

In most seeds the protective substances form inside the husk if it suffers external damage. The nucleus mainly consists of starch providing the shoot and the root with food until they can operate independently. Though I can quote no source on broccoli seeds, I think you had better eat the husks if you insists on eating broccoli seeds for SFN. (For those who have read far back in this thread: this is probably what dr. Fahey meant to say).

Meanwhile you can easily ingest a lot of sulforaphane by regularly eating watercress,  radishes and also the crucifer vegetables that need to be cooked. Just precut them and let them sit on your counter beforer preparing them!  Easy as pie and delicious.

Additionally you may like or not like to do some sprouting every once in a while. Why not? If it's not a weekly chore it's no hassle....

• Needs references x 1

#397 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:29 PM

The nucleus mainly consists of starch providing the shoot and the root with food until they can operate independently.

It also consists of glucoraphanin the precursor to sulforaphane.  glucoraphanin is also found in the main body of broccoli although in less quantity than in sprouts.  I have seen nothing (Fahey included) that indicates that the husks contain this precursor.  Having said that, I would be interested in any resource you can provide which says otherwise.

#398 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:34 PM

then freeze them (which enhances sulforaphane) 

Hi Nate,

Do you have a source you can point me to?  I seemed to have missed that one.

Mike

I think it was an interview with a physician researcher at Johns Hopkins with Rhonda Patrick. When you freeze anything, any water expands, this is why cryogenics for humans doesn't really work well. It breaks the cells open destroying them, which, in broccoli sprouts, is exactly what will release the glucoraphanin and myrosinase enzymes. This will start producing sulforaphane but I'm not entirely sure as of yet whether this only begins after thawing or what. Doesn't matter because as soon as you pour regular temp water over the top of it to blend it prior to adding other smoothie ingredients, it's all going to happen anyway.

• like x 1

#399 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:40 PM

The nucleus mainly consists of starch providing the shoot and the root with food until they can operate independently.

It also consists of glucoraphanin the precursor to sulforaphane.  

That may or may not be so, but we  would be interested to read your source for how much glucoraphanin is in the husk and how much is in the starch.  Meanwhile keep life simple....

• Agree x 1

#400 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:52 PM

It also consists of glucoraphanin the precursor to sulforaphane.  

That may or may not be so, but we  would be interested to read your source for how much glucoraphanin is in the husk and how much is in the starch.  Meanwhile keep life simple....

Every study I have seen states the Glucoraphanin is in the broccoli plant material...no mention that x% is in the husk.

• unsure x 1

#401 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

anybody have a recipes? eating a big portion of broccoli sprouts every 2 days is pretty grueling...

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#402 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

anybody have a recipes? eating a big portion of broccoli sprouts every 2 days is pretty grueling...

I would put them in a blender with an orange or white grapefruit, and maybe a little bit of water or juice. I think if you can make it fluid enough to drink that would be preferable.

• like x 1

#403 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:30 PM

I would put them in a blender with an orange or white grapefruit, and maybe a little bit of water or juice. I think if you can make it fluid enough to drink that would be preferable.

I would hold the grapefruit and maybe put a banana and blueberries. Grapefruit inhibits the p450 enzymes that sulforaphane induces, canceling out some of its benefits.

#404 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:32 PM

I just eat them as part of a big raw vegetable salad and they're enjoyable. But sprouts are just one type of food. I won't eat four ounces of raw sprouts everyday forever, why do that when other good healthy food is also available? Broccoli sprouts are healthy, but so are loads of other sprouts, other vegetables, other food depending on seasonal freshness, and what my taste buds tell me. Vary it up. I tried blending broccoli sprouts and drinking it mixed with other stuff -- ONCE -- and I'm not doing that again, lol. Pretty damned disgusting, my sprout concoction. Growing your own sprouts adds another dimension to the behavior, I'm like wow these I grew mindfully, now I'm gonna eat and enjoy them with gratitude.
  • Good Point x 1

#405 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

Earlier in this thread we mentioned the importance of eating SFN in the protection of pericytes( e.g. post #85). Pericytes are cells that protect our arteries and veins. The article I point to below does not offer any new facts about SFN but can motivate us to keep on  eating our crucifers and/or taking Prostaphane.

https://www.eurekale...c-hoa020218.php

#406 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:42 PM

Yeah it seems so far no matter how I grow the sprouts they end up tasting disgusting, burn the back of my throat and cause an upset stomach unless I take ginger with it. I don't know if I'm just doing something wrong or whether this is just how broccoli sprouts taste. I'm guessing this is why I hate broccoli so much.

So either I stick with broccomax and hope it's just as good, or I find some way to cover all that up somehow. I wonder if it's the sulforaphane itself or something else in the sprouts. I got more seeds in hopes that maybe it's just that the seeds I got were bad or something.

I also thought that maybe I could take 100g of the sprouts, add a small amount of water, just enough, and blend it, and make it sort of like a shot, similar to how they do that disgusting wheat grass shot at whole foods.

Edited by Nate-2004, 06 February 2018 - 01:51 PM.

• Cheerful x 1

#407 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:01 PM

Actually, I hardly ever eat sprouts anymore. It is too much of a bother. Some recipes make it sort of palatable: sprinkling them on baked potatoes and melted cheese, or dipping the sprouts in hummus.

Because I like vegetables, I can score some SFN by having large salads( watercress, garden cress, radishes) daily in addition to boiled or steamed cruciferous vegetables at dinner time.

#408 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:50 PM

OP ( is he still following?) started this thread by focussing on synergy of SFN and Nicotinamide Riboside. IIRC this involves NCQO1. So extra interesting for us to follow this recent newsletter from IPL:

http://lpi.oregonsta...fw17.pdf#page=1

• Informative x 2

#409 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:49 PM

NAD+ is the master regulator of almost all longevity genes including AMPK. Taking NR will make other plant based supplements pretty much useless. Save the money for NR.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...8&from=nad ampk
  • Ill informed x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Needs references x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#410 mrkosh1

• Topic Starter
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:45 PM

I check this thread from time to time.

Sulforaphane still seems extremely promising to me, but I'm very slightly concerned about the fact the HDAC properties of sulforaphane produce mitochondrial fusion instead of mitochondrial fission. There is at least one paper which discusses how sulforaphane produces giant mitochondria. I do not know if this is ideal. Nicotinamide Riboside and Alpha Lipoic Acid both promote mitochondrial fission. 

I really wish a study would be performed on cells and/or animals to determine the effects of combinations of Sulforaphane, NR, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and other substances. My guess is that some substances would synergize and others would not. What I'm curious about is if other supplements could prevent the giant mitochondria from forming. 

• Good Point x 2

#411 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:46 AM

Interesting point, Mr Kosh, though I don't think you need to worry about this. Can you point us to the paper that raises this concern? Thanks!

Edited by Harkijn, 19 February 2018 - 05:47 AM.

#412 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

I've been supplementing BroccoMax by Jarrow Formulas after a combination of listening to Dr Rhonda Patrick's podcasts, and moving to a city with pollution levels higher than I would like. I'd love to know what the best supplement is currently (easily) available on the market right now. I do plan to get into the broccoli seeds/sprouts route at some point but too busy right now. 

After some reflection, I've decided to avoid broccoli sprouts, due to the real risk of pathogen ingestion. 

I like the BroccoMax formulation, as it contains both the SGS [aka Glucoraphanin], as well as Myrosinase Enzyme from broccoli seed powder.

What I've read on sprouting websites is that if you buy organic seeds that are for sprouting, keep the seeds clean, and clean your sprouting jars well there is little chance of getting sick. However, some sprouting websites say that if you are worried that you should dip your seeds in 3% hydrogen peroxide (food grade) for five minutes at 60C and then rinse them.

www.foodsafetysite.com/resources/word/factsheets/FSAlfalfaSprouts.pdf

This is too much work for me unfortunately. Still looking for the perfect supplement on this one. Any updates?

#413 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:48 PM

e Volution said:

What I've read on sprouting websites is that if you buy organic seeds that are for sprouting, keep the seeds clean, and clean your sprouting jars well there is little chance of getting sick. However, some sprouting websites say that if you are worried that you should dip your seeds in 3% hydrogen peroxide (food grade) for five minutes at 60C and then rinse them. This is too much work for me unfortunately. Still looking for the perfect supplement on this one. Any updates?

My guess is that most of the maximizers and optimizers that posted in this thread have realized that sprouting or blending, or grinding sprouts is too much work. Those of us who are in this for the longevity haul will have upped their consumption of cruciferous vegetables. However, if you cannot buy those where you live see if you can buy Prostaphane. I do not use it, am not affiliated to it but it seems legit.

#414 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:01 PM

My guess is that most of the maximizers and optimizers that posted in this thread have realized that sprouting or blending, or grinding sprouts is too much work. Those of us who are in this for the longevity haul will have upped their consumption of cruciferous vegetables.

Sprouting is kinda easy -- nature does most of the work. I grow seeds on my inner city ghettoish porch using a few plastic two-tiered sprouting trays. I grow more than I can possibly consume, so I give to neighbors. Neighbors politely say oh thanks.

Blending sprouts into some green smoothie or another is ok; grinding and eating broccoli or radish seeds (as if they're flaxseeds) frankly makes me queasy.

The subjective problem here is that benefits don't really jump up and down and scream at you -- wow you're cured of aging. Eat them day after day, week after week, months, years, mulishly chomp-chomping away, and despite dedication and love, aging gallops drags along anyway. Cell by cell...

Eventually people interested in extending lifespan will realize there just ain't no damn cure for aging to be found by attempting to outwit metabolism. Hundreds of millions of years these bodies have naturally selected. Like I'm gonna eat sprouts and miracles are gonna happen. Sorry to be a sprout-chomping bummer, but anti aging is like being in the desert, oh look at the pretty mirage oasis. This science needs a few public senescent-clearing triumphs, that would be a nice start for hundreds of millions of people.
  • Good Point x 2

#415 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:21 PM

My guess is that most of the maximizers and optimizers that posted in this thread have realized that sprouting or blending, or grinding sprouts is too much work. Those of us who are in this for the longevity haul will have upped their consumption of cruciferous vegetables.

Sprouting is kinda easy -- nature does most of the work. I grow seeds on my inner city ghettoish porch using a few plastic two-tiered sprouting trays. I grow more than I can possibly consume, so I give to neighbors. Neighbors politely say oh thanks.

Blending sprouts into some green smoothie or another is ok; grinding and eating broccoli or radish seeds (as if they're flaxseeds) frankly makes me queasy.

The subjective problem here is that benefits don't really jump up and down and scream at you -- wow you're cured of aging. Eat them day after day, week after week, months, years, mulishly chomp-chomping away, and despite dedication and love, aging gallops drags along anyway. Cell by cell...

Eventually people interested in extending lifespan will realize there just ain't no damn cure for aging to be found by attempting to outwit metabolism. Hundreds of millions of years these bodies have naturally selected. Like I'm gonna eat sprouts and miracles are gonna happen. Sorry to be a sprout-chomping bummer, but anti aging is like being in the desert, oh look at the pretty mirage oasis. This science needs a few public senescent-clearing triumphs, that would be a nice start for hundreds of millions of people.

Regardless of whether lifespan is extended via sulforaphane, youthspan is most likely going to be significantly affected here given all the changes that happen when sulforaphane is consumed. Especially with the expulsion of benzene and other pollutants and Nrf2 activation. I also wouldn't eat it every single day, your mitochondria need quality control and for that, fission is one of the mechanisms.  Maybe 3 to 4 days a week. I balance that with NR.

You always seem to have these moods of positivity and then moods of negativity in your posts, but I appreciate the balance.

Edited by Nate-2004, 20 February 2018 - 07:28 PM.

• unsure x 1

#416 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:41 PM

... I also wouldn't eat it every single day, your mitochondria need quality control and for that, fission is one of the mechanisms. Maybe 3 to 4 days a week...

We should stop talking about mitosis... It's such a divisive issue.

Hey, if I ever go to prison, I’m gonna change my name to mitochondria… I want everyone to know I’m the powerhouse of the cell.

You always seem to have these moods of positivity and then moods of negativity in your posts, but I appreciate the balance.

Thank you, Nate! As you so artfully described in your depression guide, depression sucks up and down. It's bodywide, too, not just in the brain, happy then depressed neurons flood like stars. In fact, depression needs its own astrological symbol because astrology is just as effective as psychiatry at this point here in 2018.

sthira's moody guide to anti aging is now available, btw: don't smoke tobacco; wear your seatbelt if you insist on being trapped inside a metal box surrounded by glass that's hurdling through space inches from other speeding insane boxes; and don't get fat; or thin; but jog around the block every now and then, but don't get knifed or shot; avoid dealers, the bored, the gangs, the blistered stand alones. Stand on your head with proper alignment and lengthen the exhales. I can't believe how you shrugged off yoga in your guide, Nate, it's one of only two depression lifters I've ever found. I should write for you. I only do comedy, though, which you see is tragic. Shit I've wandered off topic... Eat Broccoli Sprouts!
  • Cheerful x 5
  • Good Point x 1

#417 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:06 PM

@Sthira - The comedy is a nice and welcome break from the divisive posts elsewhere in the forum.  ;)

• Good Point x 2

#418 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:54 PM

... I also wouldn't eat it every single day, your mitochondria need quality control and for that, fission is one of the mechanisms. Maybe 3 to 4 days a week...

We should stop talking about mitosis... It's such a divisive issue.

Hey, if I ever go to prison, I’m gonna change my name to mitochondria… I want everyone to know I’m the powerhouse of the cell.

Thank you, Nate! As you so artfully described in your depression guide, depression sucks up and down. It's bodywide, too, not just in the brain, happy then depressed neurons flood like stars. In fact, depression needs its own astrological symbol because astrology is just as effective as psychiatry at this point here in 2018.

sthira's moody guide to anti aging is now available, btw: don't smoke tobacco; wear your seatbelt if you insist on being trapped inside a metal box surrounded by glass that's hurdling through space inches from other speeding insane boxes; and don't get fat; or thin; but jog around the block every now and then, but don't get knifed or shot; avoid dealers, the bored, the gangs, the blistered stand alones. Stand on your head with proper alignment and lengthen the exhales. I can't believe how you shrugged off yoga in your guide, Nate, it's one of only two depression lifters I've ever found. I should write for you. I only do comedy, though, which you see is tragic. Shit I've wandered off topic... Eat Broccoli Sprouts!

LOL go one liners.

I haven't shrugged off yoga. There's an under construction section on it but it wasn't part of the protocol that helped me conquer depression. I think it's optional, somewhere between exercise and meditation, sort of. I'm building out a section on meditation though which will include Yoga, as it's pretty relevant to meditation. On its own though, as with everything else, it really only counts for a point or two on the Hamilton scale, compared with nutrition and exercise.

I'm taking broccomax, the broccoli sprouts really upset my stomach and taste like I've just downed a vat of bleach.

• unsure x 1

#419 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:47 PM

LOL go one liners.

They're not original, just fully disclosing because I'm a good bot. They're copied and pasted from searching google, as you advised to do in other threads here: giyf.

I haven't shrugged off yoga.

I have. Shrugged, I mean. But that's because I'm experimental, I have no arms and legs, was built on a recurrent neural network, coded in Python and Scala, etc, etc. Retract that, though, because Boston Dynamics will soon install 40 twisting arms and legs all over me. I'm soon a super advanced yogi. Peace and love, humanoids, peace and love to all y'all, namaste.

I'm taking broccomax, the broccoli sprouts really upset my stomach and taste like I've just downed a vat of bleach.

I've noticed my homegrown sprouts are very potent, way sharper than store container sprouts. So you're right. I don't eat these things everyday because my digestion says no don't please don't eat them again today. But I do grow other random sprouts, and wonder if I shouldn't eat random sprouts everyday, too? Do you mean don't eat sulforaphane-loaded sprouts daily, or don't eat all varieties (even those with lesser sulforaphane concentrations daily)? Human metabolisms are so tricky.

@Sthira - The comedy is a nice and welcome break from the divisive posts elsewhere in the forum. ;)

Well, I see a certain stock is down like 6% today, so, ahem about the moodier thread authors here.
  • Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#420 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:35 AM

"Sulforaphane is one of the most potent phase II enzyme inducers isolated from edible cruciferous vegetables with potent activity against cancer progression..."

https://www.hindawi....i/2018/4159013/

Good read here on in vitro and in vivo effects of fifteen Nrf2-interacting natural compounds -- tocotrienols, curcumin, epigallocatechin gallate, quercetin, genistein, resveratrol, silybin, phenethyl isothiocyanate, sulforaphane, triptolide, allicin, berberine, piperlongumine, fisetin, and phloretin -- on cellular senescence and uses in cancer therapy.
  • Informative x 4

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sulfora, sulforaphane, nicotinamide riboside, nad+, sirt1, ampk, nrf2, pgc1a, bioavailability, potency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users