Ichor C60 research update

c60 ichor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kmoody

• Guest, F@H
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

Hello everyone. I have received dozens of inquiries about the status of Ichor's C60 research program. I wanted to provide a brief update on our plans for 2017.

DISCLOSURE: Ichor is developing C60 as a potential pharmaceutical product. I have an equity position in our C60 program. Ichor does not currently sell any C60 product. I do not hold financial positions in any company that does sell C60 products.

Update:

We are repeating several of our pilot studies to confirm our preliminary findings that most C60oo suppliers provide product that contains toxic by-products. These results should be in by the end of January 2017. Assuming our initial findings hold up, we will compile our existing data and publish these findings in a peer-reviewed journal. We are drafting the paper currently, but our major focus at the moment is preparing for our series A investment for our lysoSENS AMD program, which is much further along than the C60 program.

The take home is that no product tested in my laboratory from any vendor has consistently met quality control parameters claimed. Most vendors cannot provide any quality control data. Those that have, provide data of poor quality that cannot be replicated in my hands with sample tested. I am supremely confident in our analysis. My analytical chemistry team is top notch.

Based on our pilot work (which suggests C60 is viable, but will be involved to develop properly), much of our recent focus has been identifying a translational path for C60 as an anti-aging drug. This is complicated by many factors. For example, olive oil is not chemically defined and is a poor vehicle from a QA/QC perspective. C60 is clearly not stable in olive oil and its by-products are toxic, so alternative vehicles should be tested. Existing regulatory strategies to develop anti-aging drugs do not exist. The mechanism of action for C60's positive effects is unknown. C60 persists in the body and does not seem to be eliminated in a significant way. C60 is not found in appreciable quantities in any foodstuff so development as a supplement or nutraceutical is not viable. C60 must be developed as a drug to make a reasonable business case for the development costs. It is unclear what specific non-aging indications C60 may be useful for treating (i.e. we need a conservative business case using a traditional drug development strategy to de-risk the anti-aging moonshot). Answering these questions will require additional advisers, licensing several major patents in the space, etc.

We are sorting through these issues now and have a very solid plan emerging. I expect to make an announcement about this by July 2017, hopefully sooner.

I do apologize for being tardy on replying on this forum. We've been super buried with our research. If you have specific questions please do feel free to reach out to us at info@ichortherapeutics.com.

• Informative x 3
  • Ill informed x 1

#2 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:06 PM

Thank you for the update, and none of it sounds fishy to me at all.
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 Valijon

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:26 PM

Hi Kelsey,

Thanks for the feedback. You've been very informative and forthcoming regarding C60. Is there anything which points to how long C60 might stay in an organism? Does it look like C60 might hang around for a lifetime? I look forward to reading the data you're releasing soon.

#4 kmoody

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:59 AM

Hi Kelsey,

Thanks for the feedback. You've been very informative and forthcoming regarding C60. Is there anything which points to how long C60 might stay in an organism? Does it look like C60 might hang around for a lifetime? I look forward to reading the data you're releasing soon.

We do not see significant reduction over time. It may well not be removed in appreciable quantities, but our data is preliminary at this point and needs to be repeated and statistically powered before we can make definitive statements about this. As you can imagine, for a compound that takes a substantial amount of time to be eliminated from the body, it would take a substantial amount of time tracking it to see trends to infer long term biodistribution from.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#5 Valijon

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:24 AM

Ok, thank you

#6 Graviton

• 150 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:02 PM

Hi, Kelsey,

Thanks for updating.

What are those toxic by-products? Are they all known chemicals and structures? How are they known to interact in the body with organs and cells?

Somehow, Baati's study shows almost the doubling of lifespan extension in rodents, and do you think/guess Baati's C60oo contains such toxic by-products as well?

#7 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for the update Kelsey. As I had highlighted many times from the beginning, the original study (Baati) was tiny (n=6). It has not been replicated, as far as I am aware (in the last 5 years!). Ichor seems to be the only lab in the world focusing on the "nitty-gritty" behind C60 as a potential therapeutic.

I hope everyone can appreciate how hard it is to produce beneficial medical results and useful pharmaceuticals.

#8 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

For those waiting on a real longevity drug instead of the witches-brew offered by mom-and-pop shops, keep in mind that the average development time from lab to patient is 10 years. And even after that, less than 12% entering clinical trials are approved.

Biopharmaceutical Research & Development: The Process Behind New Medicines

#9 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

Hi Kelsey,

We do not see significant reduction over time. It may well not be removed in appreciable quantities, but our data is preliminary at this point and needs to be repeated and statistically powered before we can make definitive statements about this. As you can imagine, for a compound that takes a substantial amount of time to be eliminated from the body, it would take a substantial amount of time tracking it to see trends to infer long term biodistribution from.

It seems that the body has an enzyme that can degrade fullerenes (and carbon nanotubes as well).

The biodegradation of fullerene C60 by myeloperoxidase

It is shown for the first time that the mammalian enzymes can cause the degradation of the C60 fullerene molecules. This biodegradation is caused by the action of а hypochlorite generated neutrophil enzyme myeloperoxidase of fullerene molecule and leads to the loss of the topology of the fullerene core.

and a previous paper on nanotubes and the same enzyme--

Carbon nanotubes degraded by neutrophil myeloperoxidase induce less pulmonary inflammation.

Here, we show that hypochlorite and reactive radical intermediates of the human neutrophil enzyme myeloperoxidase catalyse the biodegradation of single-walled carbon nanotubes in vitro, in neutrophils and to a lesser degree in macrophages.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#10 samstersam

• 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:36 PM

Any update on this thread? Its been over half a year...

• Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c60, ichor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users