• 26 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:10 PM

http://www.sciencedi...304394016309211

• like x 1

#2 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:55 AM

Highlights

Extract of Padina pavonica (EPP) and Opuntia ficus-indica (EOFI) investigated.

EOFI or EPP improved viability of a yeast model of Alzheimer’s disease (AD).

EOFI or EPP treatment ameliorated lifespan and mobility defects in AD flies.

Survival of Parkinson’s disease but not wild-type flies is enhanced by EOFI or EPP.

Either extract mitigates toxicity of Amyloid-β and α-synuclein aggregates.
Abstract
A signature feature of age-related neurodegenerative proteinopathies is the misfolding and aggregation of proteins, typically amyloid-β (Aβ) in Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and α-synuclein (α-syn) in Parkinson’s disease (PD), into soluble oligomeric structures that are highly neurotoxic. Cellular and animal models that faithfully replicate the hallmark features of these disorders are being increasing exploited to identify disease-modifying compounds. Natural compounds have been identified as a useful source of bioactive molecules with promising neuroprotective capabilities. In the present report, we investigated whether extracts derived from two ubiquitous Mediterranean plants namely, the prickly pear Opuntia ficus-indica (EOFI) and the brown alga Padina pavonica (EPP) alleviate neurodegenerative phenotypes in yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and fly (Drosophila melanogaster) models of AD and PD. Pre-treatment with EPP or EOFI in the culture medium significantly improved the viability of yeast expressing the Arctic Aβ42 (E22G) mutant. Supplementing food with EOFI or EPP dramatically ameliorated lifespan and behavioural signs of flies with brain-specific expression of wild-type Aβ42 (model of late-onset AD) or the Arctic Aβ42 variant (model of early-onset AD). Additionally, we show that either extract prolonged the survival of a PD fly model based on transgenic expression of the human α-syn A53T mutant. Taken together, our findings suggest that the plant-derived extracts interfere with shared mechanisms of neurodegeneration in AD and PD. This notion is strengthened by evidence demonstrating that EOFI and to a greater extent EPP, while strongly inhibiting the fibrillogenesis of both Aβ42 and α-syn, accumulate remodelled oligomeric aggregates that are less effective at disrupting lipid membrane integrity. Our work therefore opens new avenues for developing therapeutic applications of these natural plant extracts in the treatment of amyloidogenic neurodegenerative disorders.

It's a interesting read, thanks for sharing.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Simi

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:46 AM

You are welcome!

I think what's key here, beyond having the potential to inhibit brain diseases like Alzheimers and Parkinsons, is what is only alluded to below (in italics and bold):

Either extract mitigates toxicity of Amyloid-β and α-synuclein aggregates.

Supplementing food with EOFI or EPP dramatically ameliorated lifespan and behavioural signs of flies with brain-specific expression of wild-type Aβ42 (model of late-onset AD) or the Arctic Aβ42 variant (model of early-onset AD). Additionally, we show that either extract prolonged the survival of a PD fly model based on transgenic expression of the human α-syn A53T mutant. 

-basically, as you age most people (like almost everyone) will generate Amyloid-beta and alpha-synuclein aggregates - generating some level of toxicity.

EOFI and EPP inhibit that, even if you are particularly healthy and have lower levels of Amyloid and Synuclein.

Inhibiting this not only lowers the chance of certain neurological diseases, but also:

-increases LIFESPAN.  (..at least in fruit flies subjected to the plaque, but almost certainly in Humans as well).

Something like this should do the trick (..it's even mentioned in the article that off-the-shelf products were already available), but I don't know in what concentration for human consumption for optimal effect:

https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/B008QKCLJ4

Edited by Simi, 11 January 2017 - 07:05 AM.

• Well Written x 1

#4 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

this gives new meaning to the phrase 'prickly pear.'  Brown algae is the other one, for all you peeps too lazy to read

#5 Simi

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

Here is another plaque buster (synthesized squalamine):

http://gumc.georgeto...in-animal-model

#6 Simi

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

I just tried the prickly pear product after I mentioned to my mother (who I got the product for) that I was having some memory problems (short-term).

I thought it wouldn't have any real effect until after several months of use, instead for me the effect was "immediately" noticeable (..or rather within about an hour I started having a physical reaction).

Blood felt "warmer", face flush, head warm, ears warm, extremities warm (mostly fingers and toes) - not unlike hard alcohol consumption.  It was a staged-effect in that order for me.. weird.  

In addition, after about 3 hours my thought processes are "clearer" - particularly when tracking multiple thoughts simultaneously with out getting "bogged-down". Vision is also improved a bit. Also, not as tired as normal at this time of night. :)

-I'll continue to use it and try and report back within a month or so.

#7 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:47 AM

what prickly pear product is this, some random pills or the actual prickly pear ?

#8 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:49 AM

actually im more interested in the squalamine product because it has better more reliable studies to back it up. i sent email to the researchers on the articles regarding it with no information where to get it. seems interesting and out of reach :(

#9 Simi

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:37 AM

-well the article on squalamine is the synthesized stuff, and I don't think that's readily available.  However Shark Liver Oil is the natural source for it (and one of the older "supplements" in history), so presumably some higher purity Shark Liver Oil supplement..

The prickly pear supplement I've been taking is this (..and the dose seems way to low to me, so I wouldn't recommend it. EDIT: at 1 gram its not bad, similar to 3-4 drops of extract assuming a similar concentration of prickly pear):

https://www.amazon.c...8C2WR8G3JV0PC6A

However IF you can follow a regimen of the concentrated juice that I linked to a few posts above, then I think that would be far more ideal.

My guess is that alternating Shark Liver Oil and Prickly Pear concentrate/juice would be even better (..some people like myself have a strong tendency to naturally thwart/defeat the effects of a regular intake of drugs/supplements - and in my case this extends to topicals as well).  ..and perhaps even adding-in a supplement based on brown algae on occasion (as a substitute for Prickly Pear extract)

Edited by Simi, 13 March 2017 - 04:35 AM.

#10 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:42 AM

i have seen this prickly pear extract being sold in various international food stores and it claims to support glucose metabolism (mostly to do with diebetes) i assume you probably have blood sugar problems relation to brain fog and maybe thats why this specific extract might be helping you. other than that, i cannot find a single vital part of it in any studies being identified as having any nootropic effects

#11 Heyguy

• 50 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:55 AM

Curcumin, bacopa, both inhibit beta amyloid plaque formation

Edited by Heyguy, 14 March 2017 - 01:58 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#12 Simi

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:01 AM

i have seen this prickly pear extract being sold in various international food stores and it claims to support glucose metabolism (mostly to do with diebetes) i assume you probably have blood sugar problems relation to brain fog and maybe thats why this specific extract might be helping you. other than that, i cannot find a single vital part of it in any studies being identified as having any nootropic effects

-I'd thought that nootropic generally references cognitive enhancement in healthy people. I don't think a diabetic would necessarily be considered healthy.

In any event, I've recently had a "battery" of standard tests performed and blood sugar was only slightly high, though still within a normal range.  On the other hand my cholesterol level was a bit above the average healthy range (..to the point where the nurse-practitioner was telling me to exercise HARD daily with a high pulse-rate for a minimum of 10 minutes without rest or a significant decrease in stress during that 10 minutes).

Still, you might be correct - I really don't know.  (..it might also be reacting to plaque build-up - amyloid-beta and alpha-synuclein aggregates, which I'm genetically predisposed to.)  I'm pretty sure it wasn't the very small amount of calcium in the supplement (..having taken calcium supplements before without noticeable effect).

My best guess (just thinking about it, THANK's - :) ) is that it reacted with my blood pressure medication - somewhat negating their effects.  (I'll be monitoring blood pressure before and after taking the supplement starting tomorrow.)  (..I should note that my blood pressure medication is taken early in the morning 1-2 am and I take the supplement with dinner around 7 pm.)

#13 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:37 PM

simi, except this one, have you tried other supplements for brain boost and did you notice anything from either of them?

#14 Simi

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:45 AM

No.  It never really occurred to me to do so.  (..and I'm not taking this supplement for that effect - at least not as a primary condition, rather: in hopes of lowering plaque.)

I do experience drowsiness and lack of focus for about 5-6 hours after taking one of my blood pressure pills: clonidine (..which is why I take all of my pills together at night before sleeping). That effect is usually "gone" in the morning, or at least far less noticeable.

I'll be taking my blood pressure without the supplement tonight and for the next two nights to get a better idea of any change in measured blood pressure (..and then start back into the supplement with a few days of continued blood pressure measurements).

#15 Simi

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:45 PM

Ok. It seems that my clonidine has that drowsiness side-effect throughout the period between doses (I just wasn't really aware of it as the effect lessened over time), and that the Nopal "prickly pear" cactus supplement was reducing that side effect (but NOT effecting blood pressure).

I've no idea why this is the case though.

I can say that the effect is now far more subtle (both the mental clarity and the "hot flashes"), likely because the first time I used it - it was a foreign element.

I still get some of that blood-"heating" feeling that comes and goes within the first hour or so - but now most of it is ears, around the ears on the neck, brow, nose, and far more rarely my finger tips.

-of course I couldn't say if it's started effecting my plaque levels in a positive way or not (..which is the reason for taking it). :wacko:

More detail on brain plaque:

http://newatlas.com/...ctor-xii/48539/

Edited by Simi, 22 March 2017 - 07:49 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 Simi

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

Apparently this supplement is also taken for its high B3 (NIACIN) - and this is likely why I experienced an immediate effect.  (..others have reported similar responses from higher intake of B3).

My guess is this is just another effect of the supplement, and not the hopeful effect of prolonged use reducing plaque.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users