- - - - -

Frozen for centuries

cryo

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:35 AM

Regardless of what I or anyone would pay a Cryonics Institute to freeze me, I imagine that todays money, while hugely expensive (at least for some) may be pocket change in the future.

So what happens to someone who has invested tens of thousands of dollars to preserve themselves 'run out' of money for their maintenance upkeep? Maybe they have no heirs (or any that would be interested) to keep them frozen for centuries more. So do they just shut you down and then 'your dead (again) or do they try and unfreeze you with what they have available (if only for doing research in a cryo reversal process to better the understanding and chances for future patients

Is anyone who is interested in Cryonics, bothered by the fact they have to die first (which would add a very serious and perhaps deal breaking guarantee to bring you back to life should a cure for your disease or cancer be found in the future). Hard enough finding the cure. Harder still to reverse the Cryogenics while still able to keep you and all your tissues alive. But now they are faced with the added complication of reversing death itself?

The way I see it (although would be classed as 'murder') the best way would be when someone has been diagnosed as terminally ill or receives news that he has incurable cancer (lets say pancreatic cancer as that's usually a death sentence and a very painful one at that) that they walk into a C.I facility and do a process while they are still alive. Once you die and your brain starves of oxygen for only a few minutes, you'll probably never be the same in any case.

Another thing I wonder is, so you paid all this money, but the next day you cross the road and get creamed by a bus. Do you get that money back? Because there is a good chance they wont cryo preserve you if they had to scrape your bits off the road.

Does anyone here right now truly believe that despite the fact they have to die first, that there is any chance they can wake up centuries from now, with all their past memories and have the same personality as before.

I'm interested in this process pure from a science FICTION point of view. I don't think we have advanced the process yet to allow this to be feasible to work the way people think it could. (and a lot of that reasoning is because this is not considered an acceptable form of euthanasia - change that, and maybe it could be pulled off)

Edited by shifter, 12 January 2017 - 07:36 AM.

• Agree x 1

#2 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:10 PM

All you are (your memories, personality, etc.) is in your brain. So yes, in theory cryonics would work. The biggest concern, of course, is the tissue death that occurs in the time between when you die and when you're frozen.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cryo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users