inositol experiences?

inositol ocd

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 5000

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:31 AM

Any one have experiences with inositol? Just tried it today took 2mgs myo-inositol powder from bulk supplements and got diarrhea. I know this is supposed to be one of the side effects and I was wondering if anyone has experience with that going away or any suggestions to help combat that. Im using inositol to attempt to try and slow down my ever racing thoughts. 

#2 Catwoman

• 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

I've you are taking it for OCD (you tagged this topic with 'ocd') than expect to build up to at least 12 grams a day.
Yes, grams. Not milligrams. For OCD (I'm not sure whether we are talking about Pure O with intrusive thoughts and obsessions only or the OCD with compulsions as well) there's enough anecdotal reports that suggest you need to take 12 to 18 grams a day to feel any benefit. 
Racing thoughts isn't exactly the same as obsessive thinking or intrusive thoughts. Some people have scary distressing thoughts about things they would never do but afraid they want to do them, some people just can't stop thinking about all kinds of stuff they worry about, there are people who have random intrusive thoughts that come up without any triggers (or by just looking at a person) and there are people with h-ocd (afraid they might be homosexual) and relationship-ocd ("I'm afraid I don't love my partner anymore, but I do love him/her, I'm sure!")

What I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure how much you should take. I have no experience with inositol, but I'm sure 2 mg isn't enough as a therapeutic dose. Even if you meant 2 grams that's still quite low.
Diarrhea is a known side effect of inositol. People report that it does go away. It can start working right from the start, but I've read that you have to stay on it at least a month to conclude if it works for you.

More info: https://examine.com/...ments/inositol/

Edited by Catwoman, 20 January 2017 - 10:26 AM.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 pecanpie

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

For depression it made me feel worse, instantly  almost.  Took about a teaspoonfull, probably 5 grams or so. Too bad their isn't a swap meet or something because I have about two pounds I'd trade for something useful. Fuck I'd give it away to a good home.

#4 5000

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:59 AM

I've you are taking it for OCD (you tagged this topic with 'ocd') than expect to build up to at least 12 grams a day.
Yes, grams. Not milligrams. For OCD (I'm not sure whether we are talking about Pure O with intrusive thoughts and obsessions only or the OCD with compulsions as well) there's enough anecdotal reports that suggest you need to take 12 to 18 grams a day to feel any benefit. 
Racing thoughts isn't exactly the same as obsessive thinking or intrusive thoughts. Some people have scary distressing thoughts about things they would never do but afraid they want to do them, some people just can't stop thinking about all kinds of stuff they worry about, there are people who have random intrusive thoughts that come up without any triggers (or by just looking at a person) and there are people with h-ocd (afraid they might be homosexual) and relationship-ocd ("I'm afraid I don't love my partner anymore, but I do love him/her, I'm sure!")

What I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure how much you should take. I have no experience with inositol, but I'm sure 2 mg isn't enough as a therapeutic dose. Even if you meant 2 grams that's still quite low.
Diarrhea is a known side effect of inositol. People report that it does go away. It can start working right from the start, but I've read that you have to stay on it at least a month to conclude if it works for you.

More info: https://examine.com/...ments/inositol/

thanks for the reply. I did mean 2 grams** and I am taking it for pure intrusive thoughts and obsessions and plan to get up to the 12g dose area and see now that works. Have you found anything that works for you?

#5 Catwoman

• 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

Apart from the the SSRI's I took nothing really works for me. NAC was helpful for a few weeks and omega 3 fish oils seem to help with mood.
In the past (before I went on medication) I had a lot of acupuncture sessions and traditional Chinese herbal mixtures. There are still some supplements I wanted to try before getting on the meds again like inositol, SAM-E, curcumin, bacopa, ashwaganda maybe...

I am still on 1200 mg NAC, magnesium L-threonate, zinc and untill a few weeks ago also ginko biloba. These aren't bad, but they wont make the intrusive thoughts go away nor do they help with the feelings or emotions towards unwanted thoughts.

Now Im on sertraline. Not too much side effects fortunately. I did not have much side effects on escitalopram or fluvoxamine either. They worked great untill poop out.

#6 pecanpie

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:44 AM

I recommend Lithium. People freak because they think it's heavy duty and it can be
But you can microdose it.
Lithium Orotate 120 mg contains a very small amount of lithium and is sold OTC
Lithium will tend to amplify the meds and supplements you are on. I highly recommend.

#7 Catwoman

• 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

I recommend Lithium. People freak because they think it's heavy duty and it can be
But you can microdose it.
Lithium Orotate 120 mg contains a very small amount of lithium and is sold OTC
Lithium will tend to amplify the meds and supplements you are on. I highly recommend.

Is this your personal experience or do you know where to find more anecdotal reports on this?
I've heard of Lithium Orotate but not as an augment for OC-spectrum disorders. Are there any studies done on lithium orotate?

I'll check examine.com later on...

#8 GiGi

• 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

I tried lithium orotate, 5mg dose. First week to 10 days seemed really good (felt very calm), then I gradually ended up feeling tired and spacy. I've read that you have to team it up with Vit. B6 (or P5P)

Just an anecdote on inositol; I was taking subQ MIC shots (methionine, inositol, choline 50/50/50 per ml) along with my healthy lowish carb diet to boost metabolism/support liver, and developed reactive hypoglycemia. My blood sugar would take a dive after eating a meal; had chills, nausea and would faint, it was horrible. Never had problems with hypoglycemia before. Stopped the MIC shots and the hypoglycemia attacks went away. My daughter did the same shots and she was fine. I know inositol affects blood sugar so if you're prediabetic or insulin-resistant maybe keep an eye on how you feel afterwards.

#9 pecanpie

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

[quote name="Catwoman" post="803383" timestamp="1485166577"
Is this your personal experience or do you know where to find more anecdotal reports on this?
I've heard of Lithium Orotate but not as an augment for OC-spectrum disorders. Are there any studies done on lithium orotate?

I'll check examine.com later on...[/quote]

http://psycheducation.org/?s=Orotate

This doctor is very good and has hundreds of pages about treating the mood spectrum.

Personally, no I wouldn't fuck around with tiny doses of Lithium. I take big doses, 900 mg of LiCO3. It turns the volume waaay up on meds. Even at this dose for my chemistry it's still acting an an augmentation agent not a mood stabilizer. Low dose Lithium is more of a nootropic. So good they should put it in the drinking water. Which actually they do but not intentionally.

Edited by pecanpie, 23 January 2017 - 10:22 PM.

#10 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

How very bizarre. I took a higher than usual dosage of inositol (1g) and it actually did the opposite of what it normally does to me (reducing 5HT2A function), worsening my ocd, fatigue and "depression" ever so slightly. 

#11 AstralStorm

• 94 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:40 AM

Inositol has a very weird n-shaped dosage curve. It works conversely to mood stabilizers at low dose while it has mood stabilizing effects at high dose (I'd check the studies for dosage, but remembering it was >12g/d).

One of the potential mechanisms of mood stabilizers is to reduce CNS levels of inositol signalling in crucial places. (This including lithium, carbamazepine, valproate and a few others.)

High dose inositol may have (has in rats) a similar effect due to blocking endogenous production, and has a similar effect to stabilizers.

Endogenous production is about 6g/d in people with healthy kidneys.

On the other hand, inositol-depleted diet has also been shown to be effective in a pilot study.

Typically stabilizers only mildly improve depression but mostly help with mania, so for e.g. bipolar an atypical antidepressant is also often required.

Edited by AstralStorm, 20 March 2017 - 07:56 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#12 Chee Hong Tart

• 16 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:18 AM

it works, but not that great

it become a torture to tolerate the powdery taste at 18g daily

dropped it because diarrhea was too common

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#13 AstralStorm

• 94 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

Why take it as a powder? It tastes much better as a solution, that also helps with the "diarrhea" thing, which I suspect is just it pulling plenty of water in the intestine. It's less of a problem than polyol artificial sweeteners.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inositol, ocd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)