Looking for a safe antioxidant

antioxidant

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Plastic Pea

• 7 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:13 AM

Hi,

I am looking for some natural antioxidant that is quite safe. Can you please recommend one?

My inner ear is exposed to oxidative stress and I want to counteract that. My goal is to be healthy overall but reduce OS as much as I can.

I was taking 200 IU vitamin E which mainly contained d-alpha-tocopherol, and I stopped it because I read about the balance between different types of vit. E and how lower levels of gamma-E's can cause problems.

I was thinking about berry extracts, but I am unsure if anthocyanin or the others in them are good antioxidants.

Currently I am taking:
2*500 mg vitamin C in some kind of time release capsules, brand: Cetebe
2000 IU D3
120 mcg K2 MK-7
100 mg LEF Nicotinamide-riboside(-chloride)
magnesium-citrate
calcium-citrate

I also read that taking too much antioxidans can be pro-oxidant. How can I avoid that (i.e. what is the limit)?

Thanks.

Edited by Plastic Pea, 21 January 2017 - 07:17 AM.

• unsure x 1

#2 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:05 AM

Mmm, how do you come to the conclusion that your inner ear is exposed to oxidative stress???

I would say mixed polyphenols from as many sources possible are your best bet. But I wouldn't use supplements for that.

Edited by Dolph, 21 January 2017 - 09:06 AM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mrkosh1

• 232 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

R Alpha Lipoic Acid can prevent noise induced hearing loss. I'd also recommend the substance because it has a great safety record and has many other benefits.

#4 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:03 AM

I am looking for some natural antioxidant that is quite safe. Can you please recommend one?

Hydrogen Water

Recent Progress Toward Hydrogen Medicine: Potential of Molecular Hydrogen for Preventive and Therapeutic Applications "Despite the clinical importance of oxidative damage, antioxidants have been of limited therapeutic success. We have proposed that molecular hydrogen (H2) has potential as a “novel” antioxidant in preventive and therapeutic applications [Ohsawa et al., Nat Med. 2007: 13; 688-94]. H2 has a number of advantages as a potential antioxidant: H2 rapidly diffuses into tissues and cells, and it is mild enough neither to disturb metabolic redox reactions nor to affect reactive oxygen species (ROS) that function in cell signaling"

Edited by RWhigham, 22 January 2017 - 12:04 AM.

• like x 1

#5 Plastic Pea

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for the replies

#6 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

Hydrogen Water

Recent Progress Toward Hydrogen Medicine: Potential of Molecular Hydrogen for Preventive and Therapeutic Applications "Despite the clinical importance of oxidative damage, antioxidants have been of limited therapeutic success. We have proposed that molecular hydrogen (H2) has potential as a “novel” antioxidant in preventive and therapeutic applications [Ohsawa et al., Nat Med. 2007: 13; 688-94]. H2 has a number of advantages as a potential antioxidant: H2 rapidly diffuses into tissues and cells, and it is mild enough neither to disturb metabolic redox reactions nor to affect reactive oxygen species (ROS) that function in cell signaling"

i read about it and i still havent figured out where to buy it. and making your own seems a huge chore...

#7 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:10 PM

NAC is good but a bit powerful for constant use. I take 600mg mondays tuesdays and wednesdays. Cycle it.

I would also recommend Resveratrol, literally everybody would do well taking that. It's probably the most powerful anti-ager after Rapamycin.

Edited by Skyguy2005, 27 January 2017 - 05:15 PM.

#8 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:40 AM

skyguy in what way is NAC too powerful for constant use? i was taking it before constantly for liver health (not sure it ever helped) but i didnt notice a huge problem

#9 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:17 PM

NAC is good but a bit powerful for constant use. I take 600mg mondays tuesdays and wednesdays. Cycle it.

I would also recommend Resveratrol, literally everybody would do well taking that. It's probably the most powerful anti-ager after Rapamycin.

NAC may cause PAH. One Type Of Antioxidant May Not Be As Safe As Once Thought . You could settle the question for us by having a cardiologist introduce a catheter into your heart through a vein in your groin and monitor your pulmonary artery pressure while you take 600 mg of NAC. Please do so. It would be a good thing to know.

Resveratrol & NAC on lifespan:

The following article contains a table of lifespan of rodents from Spindler's literature survey: Review of the literature and suggestions for the design of rodent survival studies for the identification of compounds that increase health and life span - Spindler 2012

Table 1 in supplementary material shows the survey results: (The following will download a doc file)

Table 1 Summary of all published compound testing studies using healthy, long-lived rodents and lifespan as an endpoint   This is a great resource for what might possibly work.

Table 1: NAC

"Both concentrations of NAC significantly increased the LS of male but not female HET3 mice (n=16 of each sex). Both food and water consumption were reduced by NAC treatment, suggesting NAC may induce voluntary CR."

"Evaluation: NAC increased mouse LS significantly in males, but this effect may be due to voluntary CR."

Table 1: Resveratrol

"Resveratrol fed at 3 concentrations beginning at 12 mo of age had no effect on the LS of male B6 mice consuming a standard diet AL or EOD."  (ab libitum or every other day) 

"Resveratrol administered from the age of 9 mo had no effect on the LS of AL fed, male and female HET3 mice."

Edited by RWhigham, 28 January 2017 - 07:01 PM.

#10 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:11 PM

Here is a prior discussion of NAC. http://www.longecity...-safety-update/

I am willing to forego NAC in an abundance of caution. I saw my dog die of cardiac hypertrophy which was caused by chronic PAH, and it was a long slow process. I'll pass.

Edited by RWhigham, 28 January 2017 - 10:30 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:33 PM

Here is a prior discussion of NAC. http://www.longecity...-safety-update/

I am willing to forego NAC in an abundance of caution. I saw my dog die of cardiac hypertrophy which was caused by chronic PAH, and it was a long slow process. I'll pass.

If NAC had been shown to extend the lifespan of rats by means other than voluntary CR, then I would consider the risk/reward ratio in a different light.

When a lifespan study talks about a "significant" effect, I don't get too excited. (Some "significant" effects are barely detectable under high powered statistics.) When they say 10% like with rapamycin, then I take notice.

Edited by RWhigham, 28 January 2017 - 11:40 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antioxidant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users