• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does potassium deficiency resolve on its own?

potassium deficiency

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Plastic Pea

• 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:36 AM

Hi

I think I have developed potassium deficiency during the use of a prescription drug, which I have stopped taking 3 weeks ago.

I eat 2.3 to 3 grams of potassium daily (the RDA is 4.7). Do you think this amount is enough for the deficiency to resolve on its own, or do I need to improve my diet?

I get about 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise every day. Sometimes I have muscle spasms/twitches randomly or repeatedly in a muscle.

My magnesium, calcium and sodium intake is about ok.

Thanks.

#2 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:52 PM

I am looking at all the foods that contain potassium, and then what the established RDI is, and I get the impression that almost everyone must be getting less than the RDI. Conversely we get way more sodium that what we need.

Not many people have a diet that has the equivalent of around 10 bananas a day (a food touted as being 'high' in potassium). You have to eat really healthy and a variety of vegetables every single day to touch the RDI. I imagine most people fall short of this and because supplements are regulated to 99mg (3% RDI), its not something you can get much of in supplements either.

As I'm doing a Keto and calorie restricted diet I imagine my shortfall over the last few weeks is huge. I have ordered the powdered potassium to help out and also bought a 'lite salt' that replaces half of what would be sodium, with potassium instead and sprinkle it liberally over food and even a little in water. Of course though, I have to be careful with the dosage of the potassium powder. :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:02 AM

I eat 2.3 to 3 grams of potassium daily (the RDA is 4.7). Do you think this amount is enough for the deficiency to resolve on its own, or do I need to improve my diet?

I get about 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise every day. Sometimes I have muscle spasms/twitches randomly or repeatedly in a muscle.

My magnesium, calcium and sodium intake is about ok.

Calculating one's intake can give some indication, but isn't accurate enough about possible sufficiency or deficiency. Due to varying metabolism and synergisms or antagonisms.

For example suffer from severe muscle cramps due to long term magnesium deficiency despite getting about 600 mg/d of magnesium from diet. Only orally supplementing an additional 2000 mg/d of elemental Mg ceased the muscle cramps. However, even after years serum and whole blood Mg haven't improved, hair tissue mineral analysis just a bit.

Also supplement with either powdered potassium bicarbonate or citrate 3 times a day dissolved in water, which gives about 2 g of elemental potassium per day. Each is different.

#4 ketogeniclongevity

• 23 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:48 AM

Eat a potassium-rich dietbeef,milk, and extra virgin oils.

#5 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2022 - 02:48 PM

Depends on the cause, in this case likely. 

also nutritional hormonal can affect nueonrtransmitters which can affect yoru strength and looks etc

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: potassium, deficiency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users