Cheating your absorption pathways?

mixing food with supplements

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

I wonder, is there any studies which involve combining foods which contain the same minerals vitamins you take?

Example, taking zinc with pumpkin seeds, taking vitamin c during eating an orange, taking vitamin A while eating beef liver, taking niacin while eating a chicken brest, or even taking tocotrienols suplement during eating red palm oil?

Woud this cheat your absorption pathways, that you actually eat the food and absorb much more?

Please link a study of this kind if you know!

#2 dazed1

• Topic Starter
  • 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

67 views and no input?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:32 AM

Please link a study of this kind if you know!

Probably nobody wants to google for studies of so many different kind of nutrients - of which is kind of common knowledge that either taking them with food or without food enhances their absorption. For example some minerals, like magnesium, or individual amino acids, are better taken without food to avoid competition with calcium and other proteins in foods. Fat soluble vitamins, like A, D, K, CoQ10 or tocotrienols are better taken with the largest fat-containing meal of the day. Again other minerals are better taken with meals for avoiding stomach upset.

But to your examples: Niacin is sufficiently absorbed in high enough doses, you can even directly feel it through the niacin flush, which the bid from chicken breast breast would add only insignificant amounts. At least if you take niacin for its pharmacological effects. Nevertheless, you still better take niacin with meals to dampen the flush a bit.

Nothing compares to oral vitamin C absorption than mega-doses of ascorbic acid powder in water on a empty stomach. On the contrary, the sugars in Oranges would even compete with vitamin C absorption.

Then liver has many times more vitamin A than many supplements, you wouldn't indulge every day.

#4 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:10 PM

The only "cheating" I can think of is the use of piperine, which I believe uses up a certain enzyme that would otherwise interfere with the absorption of certain flavonoids. I might be describing this slightly wrong.

Other than that, if there are plant-based nutrients you want, then taking them in conjunction with the whole food might increase bioavailability. That's because plants often contain co-factors that help in the stabilization or absorption or activity of the primary nutrients. Curcumin and EGCG and sulforaphane come to mind, no doubt there are lots of others.

#5 dazed1

• Topic Starter
  • 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:12 AM

I know and i understand, what i meant was for the best foods that contain the mineral/vitamin, example lemons and vitamin c? red palm oil and tocosorb?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users