• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Stopped taking Lexapro last year; how screwed am I?

lexapro ssri genetics

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FullOfBones

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:05 PM

About three years ago, I started on Lexapro to control some long-standing issues I've had with social anxiety and occasional panic attacks. This worked pretty well for a couple of years, and then the panic attacks started up again. So about this time last year, I started slowly weaning myself off of it over the course of about three months. Coming across articles on Tardive Dysphoria only cemented my decision. To help figure out why I've been having so many problems with anxiety through my whole life, I got 23andme results and pushed them through Promethease to get a better breakdown of the SNPs.

Among those results, I see that I'm GG on rs6323, which corresponds to 75% higher MAOA production. As MAOA breaks down dopamine, serotonin, GABA, and a few others, being low on all of those is probably not great. Am I wrong in this interpretation? If not, is it possible the serotonin downregulation caused by the SSRI simply compounded the issue? After weaning myself off of it, I postulate that my serotonin is now reduced by 75% + the downregulation effects. After stopping the Lexapro, I've had constant problems with sleep onset and sleep maintenance I've never had before, and while I can't link these, the correlation is enough to at least investigate.

Another data point I found interesting is that I had a minor surgery about a month ago, and needed general anesthesia. For about a month afterwards, my sleep was almost normal again. From the recent studies on Ketamine use for depression, I have to wonder if other anesthetics have similar effects, and if that's what explains my month of freedom. I do have a psychiatrist, but she's basically a rubber stamp for throwing meds at me, and is not really helpful for interpreting anything. I'll be bringing this up with her, but so far her only suggestion is to go back on the Lexapro. I admit that would probably solve my immediate problem, but not the long-term issues it created to begin with.

So am I totally boned? Will the serotonin eventually up-regulate again? Is there anything I can do?

#2 Lia-chan

• 53 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:27 PM

I think, that you have a trouble with 5HT-2A receptors, Lexapro just as any other antidepressant messes up with it, so I suggest you to try either trazadone or mirtazapine either both of them, they are gonna fix your long-term issues.with sleep, caused by lexapro with no doubr. I hope this gonna help you.

I also had very similiar issues as you, that's why I recommend you, what did help me. Also BPC-157 is also gonna help you really fast, you'll need, maybe a 10 injections and after that, I hope, that you gonna be healed. Get well, bro.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 FullOfBones

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

I think, that you have a trouble with 5HT-2A receptors, Lexapro just as any other antidepressant messes up with it, so I suggest you to try either trazadone or mirtazapine either both of them, they are gonna fix your long-term issues.with sleep, caused by lexapro with no doubr. I hope this gonna help you.

I also had very similiar issues as you, that's why I recommend you, what did help me. Also BPC-157 is also gonna help you really fast, you'll need, maybe a 10 injections and after that, I hope, that you gonna be healed. Get well, bro.

Thanks. I've already tried Mirtazapine. Unfortunately it's an antihistamine and I have paradoxical reactions to those regarding sleepiness. Every single last one I've tried, from Benadryl, to Hydroxyzine, to Mirtazapine, always wake me up or only make me groggy but unable to sleep. I haven't tried Trazadone yet, so I guess that's an option. I see the psych on Thursday, so I'll ask about it.

Regarding BPC-157, I think I'm going to stay away from any injections for now. Just the thought of it makes me feel kinda sick to my stomach.

Also for what it's worth, I've never taken a nap in my entire life. My brain is just incapable of shutting down on command. Even with the last year of meditation I've been doing, I can only reduce the chatter slightly. As a result, I can't fall asleep in less than 30 minutes. When I was a kid, I would sometimes just stare at the ceiling for hours waiting to get tired. Once I am asleep, I used to be very hard to rouse, but the Lexapro ruined that. I'm getting kinda desperate, here.

#4 Catwoman

• 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:54 PM

I've always been a good sleeper. I have been on SSRI's for about 10 years, been off Lexapro for about 5 months and last month started Zoloft. My sleep is still the same as pre-SSRI's or during my drug holiday.

I do think alot about what escitalopram (or fluvoxamine/Luvox) has 'done' to my brain. Especially now that Zoloft doesn't seem to do the same job as Lexapro did. I've been on it for 5 weeks, so I'm not sure what to do just yet.

I wish we all could shut our brain down on command. This something I recognise when I'm really stressed or tense about something. My thoughts start racing the minute I close my eyes.
Meditation or relaxation techniques could help, but since this only seems to help you a little...

Do you exercise? I wouldn't recommend it in the evening, this could be too stimulating for some.

Edited by Catwoman, 10 February 2017 - 01:55 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#5 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:17 PM

I thought citalopram and esc were among the safer, more tolerable ones?  Not my area of expertise, but iirc that is what area-1255 said? He always liked venlafaxine and vortioxetine too (iirc)

It's terrible how unpredictable antidpressant responses are.  A third of a chance you get no improvement, a third of a chance you get worse.  These quacks will conveniently have you play Russian roulette and pay for it all out of your own pocket?  I'd rather fluff a duck and take my chances on OTC supplements (which dont fux with teh genome as mach).  Thanks for your opinion tho, Doc.  I'll be sure to consider it next time I'm involuntarily hospitalized.

If you're having problems with mania during stressful periods, consider Gerolsteiner water or lithium orotate off Amazon.  Works wonders for me, especially since ginseng always pushes me toward mania.  Indian snakeroot (resperine) and red onions (quercetin) would theoretically help as well.  According to WebMD, also BCAAs, and (with lesser evidence) lechitin and magnesium.  Light therapy and lappaconitine may also have their place.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lexapro, ssri, genetics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users