- - - - -

how bad is microwaving meals?

chemicals

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:37 PM

At my firm I cook all my meals in the microwave. People have told me that this is bad for you but I am not sure if that's true.

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:54 PM

If you don't use plastic wrappers/containers, no harm.  All microwaves do is heat the water molecules in your food, inside as well as on the surface.  other cooking methods heat from the outside, and heat radiates to the interior of the food.

The plasticizers in plastics outgas with heat, possibly contaminating your food, with who-knows what effect.  Even microwave safe plastics might not be; mostly it means they won't melt in the microwave.

Metalized plastic pouches used to package some foods are probably OK.  As long as the metal layer keeps the plastic from the food.  Which might be the case.

Some plastics may be stable at the heats encountered in your microwave.  But it is still possible to overheat.

Microwave radiation won't stay in the food to poison you, as one bat-shit crazy lady I know claims. 

• Agree x 3
  • Needs references x 1
  • like x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chemicals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users