- - - - -

Low dose l-theanine has anti-serotonin/no serotonin effects

theanine serotonin

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

Low dose l-theanine (under 100mg) not only appears to not cause those typical effects associated with the 5ht2a receptor and other receptors, which I am extremely vulnerable to, but also seems to protect against them.

#2 monowav

• 66 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

is there a study to support that?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:02 PM

If you read Wikipedia you will find that there are studies that indicate both a decrease and an increase. I made this thread because I believe the decrease (or no effect) is with lower dosages. whereas higher dosages does potentially increase serotonin (but not really sure).

https://en.wikipedia...harmacodynamics

Theanine increases serotonin, dopamine, GABA, and glycine levels in various areas of the brain, as well as BDNF and NGF levels in certain brain areas.[15][19][24][25] However, its effect on serotonin is still a matter of debate in the scientific community, with studies showing increases and decreases in brain serotonin levels using similar experimental protocols.[14][26] It has also been found that injecting spontaneously hypertensive mice with theanine significantly lowered levels of 5-hydroxyindoles in the brain.

• like x 1

#4 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

Gosh. Now I don't even know. I took theanine, eye-balled the dosage, almost certainly under 100mg, and now the 5ht2a receptor is overactive or some other close relative serotonin receptor. Is there anything in pharmacology that's certain?

#5 monowav

• 66 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

Hmm I notice for sure that more pronounced effect on the DA side, less than 5ht. Although it is all subjective. Maybe there are more anecdotes around longecity to help.

#6 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

Hmm I notice for sure that more pronounced effect on the DA side, less than 5ht. Although it is all subjective. Maybe there are more anecdotes around longecity to help.

I agree with dopamine side though it's not stimulating or motivating at all for me. It's just later in the day I begin to feel a little like I do if catecholamines are too high and I need to sleep.

Now that I ask, how long does it take for the dopamine-increasing effects to deminish? In other words, how long to break down all the dopamine theanine creates? If you take theanine once daily and it has a 4 hour half-life, can the increase in dopamine persist and build up over days (I wouldn't want this, could explain my insomnia after multiple days)?

#7 monowav

• 66 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

Well technically, it depends on the amount of COMT protein you have and DBH. I'm not sure if it causes insomnia, since there are a few studies showing it helps with insomnia, as it helps with mine too when taken a few hours before bed. Though it may be dose dependent. https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/22214254

Edited by Jacob Gordon, 15 February 2017 - 05:01 PM.

#8 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

Well technically, it depends on the amount of COMT protein you have and DBH. I'm not sure if it causes insomnia, since there are a few studies showing it helps with insomnia, as it helps with mine too when taken a few hours before bed. Though it may be dose dependent. https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/22214254

Yes it helps with insomnia and significantly improves sleep quality but my issue is that like with p5p (coenzyme vitamin b6) if I take it for multiple days then it gives insomnia, almost certainly from increased catecholamines. In fact, I began to hallucinate very mildly (but more strongly than normal) after taking p5p for multiple days.

So, can catecholamine production build up over days?

#9 monowav

• 66 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

No but vitamin b6 is stored in the body for a while. Have you done genetic testing?

#10 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:24 PM

No but vitamin b6 is stored in the body for a while. Have you done genetic testing?

If you mean SNPs, unless you do all then it's not worth much. The mutations you're thinking of (mao-a, comt) are extremely normal. They may have an impact but it's not worth much in terms of talking about reasons for unusual reactions.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 monowav

• 66 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:44 PM

if not comt, then SNPs for DBH. I produce a lot of the enzyme so I produce a lot of NA instead of DA.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: theanine, serotonin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users