• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What are the best ways to raise naturally low dopamine levels?

dopamine genetic genie 23andme braverman test methylation

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 lilbub

• 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

I recently did 23andMe and got these results from Genetic Genie. Quite a few of my methylation results point to naturally low dopamine production. 

I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the scientific validity of methylation analysis, but interestingly enough I did the Braverman Test before I got my 23andMe results back and it indicated that I have a major dopamine deficit and a moderate GABA deficit. I have a lot of physical and mental symptoms of low dopamine too, so I wouldn't be surprised if my analysis is dead on.

What are some good ways to naturally raise my dopamine levels? I've tried google searching this, but it's either connected to a website that is scientifically dubious, confusing, or trying to sell me something and I figured you guys would be a lot more trustworthy. I'd appreciate any and all advice, especially from those who have experience with this.

• Ill informed x 3
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:33 PM

i tell you what. i did 23&me 2 years ago and still not sure what the results mean. Not from the lack of trying though. the results you posted are similar to mine. I'm also homozygous for VDR and CBS 360, but I don't have that MTRR. I'm also heterozygous for 2 COMTs.

VDR means you need to take D3 supplements. I do, and not sure if it helps.

CBS 360 means squat IMHO.

being -/- for all three COMTs basically means you metabolize dopamine and other neurotransmitters well, maybe even too well leaving you with low levels. But you should be functioning well under stress and not so well without one. are you an adrenaline junky?

however, you can't just increase dopamine, as the receptors will down-regulate and negate the increase. the best thing you can do is use some dopaminergics (tyrosine supplement would be a good start, some people combine it with tryptophan/5HTP) on your hard school days only and going without most days of week. some other poster developed a differing stimulants rotation schedule that works for him. healthy lifestyle is always a must. Good luck and love you.

Edited by jack black, 14 February 2017 - 07:36 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jaiho

• 521 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

The most powerful ways are regular exercise & a meditation practice.

Supplements wont make much difference here.

Unless of course you have a MTHFR gene defect or other major dopamine production problem. In which case maybe using dopamine agonists or stimulants would help, but i dont know about them being a long term solution.

Edited by jaiho, 14 February 2017 - 10:30 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • like x 1

#4 lilbub

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

i tell you what. i did 23&me 2 years ago and still not sure what the results mean. Not from the lack of trying though. the results you posted are similar to mine. I'm also homozygous for VDR and CBS 360, but I don't have that MTRR. I'm also heterozygous for 2 COMTs.

VDR means you need to take D3 supplements. I do, and not sure if it helps.

CBS 360 means squat IMHO.

being -/- for all three COMTs basically means you metabolize dopamine and other neurotransmitters well, maybe even too well leaving you with low levels. But you should be functioning well under stress and not so well without one. are you an adrenaline junky?

however, you can't just increase dopamine, as the receptors will down-regulate and negate the increase. the best thing you can do is use some dopaminergics (tyrosine supplement would be a good start, some people combine it with tryptophan/5HTP) on your hard school days only and going without most days of week. some other poster developed a differing stimulants rotation schedule that works for him. healthy lifestyle is always a must. Good luck and love you.

Haha, it's all pretty confusing. I've looked a little at Self Decode, but I'm not sure how much I trust it.

And yes, I definitely have aspects of being an adrenaline junky and I preform much better under stress. It's a positive, though sometimes I think I don't "feel" things as much as other people - it takes a lot to get me excited or to hold my attention.

Good to know about the dopaminergics. I figured that simply raising my dopamine wouldn't make sense. I actually take Vyvanse right now, which is I think gets me to a really solid baseline, but unfortunately my insurance changed and a 30 day prescription is now a whopping $230. I'll take a look at tyrosine, that's something I've seen a lot in my research on this. My diet is really healthy for the most part - I don't like sweets and I cook most of my own food. Admittedly exercising is an area I'm been slacking a lot in, I have no motivation for it.

Thank you for your advice!

• like x 1

#5 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

Do you even know what dopamine is?

</those threads>
  • Unfriendly x 3
  • Enjoying the show x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#6 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:24 PM

Do you even know what dopamine is?

</those threads>

well, at least we know who is the troll that slaps people with the ill informed insults.

• Agree x 3
  • Ill informed x 2
  • unsure x 1

#7 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:52 AM

Don't blame me for that shit. I barely visit this board.

Edited by Aolministrator, 16 February 2017 - 12:53 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#8 Doc Psychoillogical

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:49 AM

Using Dopamine Supplements to Hack Motivation: the Neurobiology of Ambition

How to Increase Dopamine Naturally: 5 Proven Strategies - Corpina

THE DOPAMINE Rx = GOOD CHOICES OR BAD - Living an Optimized Life

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#9 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:57 AM

Nah, your results aren't that bad.  Your COMT and MAO-A are fine.  With mutations, you really need a big combo of factors for them to significantly affect your life

Here's mine, feel free to laugh, I know I did.  My whole life, all my weird bullshit, makes more sense now.  After combing through a lot of internet nonsense about these things, I actually did manage to use this to my advantage through restructuring of diet, prescriptions and supplements. 

Attached File  genetic genie hl.PNG   101.76KB   2 downloads

Attached File  detox hl.PNG   109.29KB   2 downloads

Maybe you could try uridine.

But there's really not much substitute for eating whole foods, maintaining adequate sleep hygiene, and reducing your sedentary habits.  For example, instead of taking tyrosine alone, just increase your protein intake so that you get more phenylalanine in addition to tyrosine.

I can't say much more because you didn't mention any specific symptoms.  With these little gene tools, you can't go by them alone because things aren't that simple.

Edited by Duchykins, 16 March 2017 - 07:54 AM.

• Agree x 1

#10 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

Did you also take your 23andme results through Promethease?  It's just 5$ and you save the report you your computer to look through later.  Helped me figure out why certain Rx drugs never worked for me, or worked horribly for me

Edited by Duchykins, 16 March 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#11 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:13 AM

im still not seeing any good reliable suggestions for uplifting dopamine...

#12 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:57 AM

im still not seeing any good reliable suggestions for uplifting dopamine...

Really?  There's not much for "uplifting" dopamine that's better than exercise.  Especially when we don't really know what the hell is going on with the OP - not enough information was given.

Someone also mentioned tyrosine and D3, and I mentioned uridine.  All four of these things are relatively harmless compared to what's out there, while at the same time are known to support dopaminergic function in one way or another.

Were you expecting someone to come in here and recommend an amphetamine right off the bat, or something like that?  

Edited by Duchykins, 18 March 2017 - 03:58 AM.

#13 Doc Psychoillogical

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:37 AM

17 Random Dopaminergic Supplements - Brain Health - LONGECITY

Need help repairing dopamine/reward system. - Brain Health - LONGECITY

#14 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:24 PM

Jinjco bilabao, tyroseen and lyseen, kataubu, phlowering qiunce, Qiunoa, mary-jew-wanna, kaaffeene, and shillajit

Edited by gamesguru, 18 March 2017 - 12:27 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#15 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

*sigh* yeh i did expect something similar to cocaine :s

the only thing exercise raises in me is injury threshold and pain, not dopamine

Edited by hazy, 18 March 2017 - 09:22 PM.

• Agree x 1

#16 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

*sigh* yeh i did expect something similar to cocaine :s

the only thing exercise raises in me is injury threshold and pain, not dopamine

Something as innocuous as a daily walk can get all endorphins going.  It doesn't even have to be a brisk walk.  

The point in this particular case is not to build muscle, or lose weight, or train for anything specific.  Exercise doesn't necessarily mean get out a mat or a bike or any special equipment or do anything difficult right off the bat.

The only point here is to reduce sedentary habits; even just a good 20 minute daily walk or a lazy 20 min swim (good for people who need low-impact exercise) all by itself can achieve that much.

You can even just go window shopping; it's still getting you moving around.

And this might sound silly, but just cleaning around the house for a half hour can do something very similar.  There is a good reason why some people respond to stress, anxiety or anger by cleaning something, and I'm not talking about OCD.    The physical activity releases all the usual endorphins and makes them feel better.  It gives them an outlet too but the most important thing is all the normal good things that comes from getting off your rear end.  There is also has the added bonus of having a nicer environment which is known to have some small therapeutic effects.

I mention all these things because I have trouble with exercise too.  I used to be a lifeguard and then I was in the Army for a bit, but all that is behind me, I'm a student and a mother now, and I don't work out anymore.  But walking around or cleaning with my headphones is much better; there's just not much substitute for reducing one's sedentary habits.  My arthritic back hurts no matter I try to do, what but my mood is always improved afterward.

Edited by Duchykins, 18 March 2017 - 10:04 PM.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 metabrain

• 302 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

What prompted you to get the test in the first place?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dopamine, genetic genie, 23andme, braverman test, methylation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users