- - - - -

Special Report: New Study Finds Performance-Enhancing Drugs for Chess

nootropics

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:52 PM

The drugs are methylphenidate, which is most commonly marketed as Ritalin (by Novartis), and modafinil, which is sold as Alertec, Modavigil and Provigil. The study also measured the effects of caffeine and found, not surprisingly, that it also had an ameliorative impact.

When adjusting for an unexpected side-effect of the drugs on decision-making behavior – paradoxically, that they made the subjects play slower — the study found modafinil improved the players’ performances by an average of 15 percent, methylphenidate by 13 percent, and caffeine by around 9 percent.

https://worldchess.c...rugs-for-chess/

Okay, fine, just modafinil, which we already knew about, but the exact pattern is interesting. Modafinil makes people take longer to make their moves, but the moves are ultimately better. That suggests that its advantage is not increasing IQ per se, but in giving people the increased attention span/concentration to work harder on finding good moves. I think this elegantly ties together a lot of stuff into a good explanation of modafinil’s cognitive-enhancing properties.

http://slatestarcodex.com/

Edited by VP., 15 February 2017 - 12:53 PM.

#2 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:42 PM

Poker players have known that for years!

At first they started with amps and coke-- bad idea because of the increase in impulsivity!

Now, Moda...that is the poker hack.  Especially with combined with a few of the other favorite nootropics here.

Interesting that they were able to quantify the increase in performance to 15 %-- pretty drastic, especially when improvement among trained players is much harder to come by than trained; same as with athletes.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 MichaelTheAnhedonic

• 179 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:08 PM

I'm using Ritalin and I can confirm that it's definitely enhancing my performance in cognitive-demanding tasks. 

#4 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:23 PM

I'm using Ritalin and I can confirm that it's definitely enhancing my performance in cognitive-demanding tasks.

Ritalin is definitely a double edged sword.
Eventually it does the opposite in some people.

Edited by Ark, 15 February 2017 - 05:24 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:55 AM

At first I found the thought hilarious, that it would be cocaine. Then I clicked the thread, to find its four times more potent brother.

That was even funnier.

Edited by Aolministrator, 16 February 2017 - 12:57 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users