• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

So called "ethicists" talking prohibitions around CRISPR

crispr editing genes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

Nothing quite pisses me off more than religious puritans disguised as "ethicists" trying to regulate our bodies with fear mongering and moralizing around new science and technology.

https://www.washingt...m=.d0273d2fb2e1

• Agree x 2
  • Disagree x 1

#2 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:20 PM

When it comes to humans and genes in general I think the quite obvious connection that should be made is that indeed there are many people who do not like to think of humans as being subject to the same laws as animals and plants. They are in many cases so called secular people, although I actually have begun to question if secularism really exists to any major degree anywhere among people. As a person once said "God is dead but the music is still playing"

One concern I have about this sort of thing is what will happen to the global power-balance if China eventually enhances its population through various technology, and the rest is left far behind in competitiveness because of a lack of adoption of technology.

"Ethicist" always struck me as a rather redundant and strange profession. Surely it is good to think about the implications and dangers of technology, however "ethics" is not really about some sort of fundamental practical concerns that one might imagine secular leaders be terribly interest in the construction of a functional society, it always seems like something beyond those concerns and perhaps it is by definition. 

Edited by Keizo, 26 March 2017 - 12:24 PM.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crispr, editing, genes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users