After trying hundreds of supps for depression, only these two simple supps work

depression;folic acid;ehtanol

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:47 AM

Folic Acid, not methylfolate, just folic acid.

Alcohol, not all alcohol, but grape based ones like wine, cognac, armagnac.

WHAT DOES THIS SAY ABOUT ME or OTHERS who respond similarily? not yelling.

Edited by iseethelight, 18 February 2017 - 05:07 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#2 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:45 AM

Man, if you want something real, try psychedelic.
The research on it didn't lie. Best time of the life. I didn't even know I was a fun person.

Edited by jack black, 18 February 2017 - 05:49 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 3
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:52 AM

iseethelight, you should visit this thread; http://www.longecity...ohol-hangovers/ lots of people speak of this issue, alcohol and use of folic acid. it seems to be related to genetic problem

#4 Mr Serendipity

• 979 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:09 AM

Have you tried liquid ionic magnesium?

That's the only thing that cured my depression (anhedonic), didn't really feel anything.

I only use Good State Liquid Ionic Magnesium. Cheap and you get plenty of it.

I'm sure you know most other forms of magnesium pretty much have low absorption and passes straight through you. Hence why it's much better to use liquid ionic magnesium.

One way to tell if your magnesium deficient, is if you get cramps after drinking alcohol. I use to get the worst calf muscle cramps, you would not believe.

Another way to tell, is if you screw up your foot really hard, and force yourself to get a foot cramp. Now when I do this, it is impossible for my foot to cramp up.

• Needs references x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#5 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:01 PM

have you tried phenylalanine and tyrosine, ginkgo, tribulus, ginseng, resveratrol, Shuyusan, Apocynum, Cudrania, or Piper laetispicum?

• Good Point x 1

#6 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

manny there are many different forms of magnesium that can have different absorption rates, as far as i know the oxide and sulfate form pass right through the body. not sure how ionic magnesium is much different to have such good absorption rate, at least i havent seen studies on this

#7 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

Magnesium oxide passes straight through?  Maybe if you have a retracted ilium.  You take enough of it, and some will absorb.  In other news, liquid magnesium is pre-dissociated and superior in absorption to glycinate and all forms.  Immediately absorbed in part by the mouth and esophagus, liquid mag is the MOST bioavailable form and everybody who's anybody is on the Gerolsteiner or Concentrace.  Not claiming it would reverse anhedonia on its own, but as a piece of a larger stack it shouldn't hurt.

#8 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:21 AM

have you tried phenylalanine and tyrosine, ginkgo, tribulus, ginseng, resveratrol, Shuyusan, Apocynum, Cudrania, or Piper laetispicum?

Yep  have tried the first 4  minus tribulus, many times in long trials. Dopamine precursors make my anhedonia and depression worse. l dopa was the worst... Resveratrol had no effect but made my teeth super sensitive.

iseethelight, you should visit this thread; http://www.longecity...ohol-hangovers/ lots of people speak of this issue, alcohol and use of folic acid. it seems to be related to genetic problem

Yep, I participated in that thread...

Man, if you want something real, try psychedelic.
The research on it didn't lie. Best time of the life. I didn't even know I was a fun person.

Come on man. I'm trying to be healthy here..

#9 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:39 PM

These things have no toxicity, unlike the alcohol you self medicate with.

Edited by jack black, 27 February 2017 - 07:40 PM.

• Unfriendly x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#10 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:10 AM

alcohol hasa thin line between toxicity and benefit. you cant just say all alcohol at all doses is always toxic

#11 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:20 AM

Agreed.  I even like hazy's tone more than yours, Jack.  Far less condescending.  May I ask how often/how long, Mr. Jack, you've used these things and whether you still get a benefit from them?

The studies, so far, have suggested ONE-time use to have lasting benefits on near-dear anxiety or stubborn cases of depression.  But nobody warns you if used irresponsibly they could have the exact opposite effect, of making you horribly, horribly depressed.  And when compared against alcohol, they appear to aggravate such conditions in a wider subset of the population.. at a still lower frequency of use!!  Therefore it's pertinently important to distinguish between acute physical toxicity (LD50) and long-term psychiatric outcomes.  Alcohol reportedly has more of the former and less of the latter.  While I only have a glass or two of wine per month, and I don't personally find it does anything for anxiety or esteem, I still wouldn't go so far as to say drinking wine has more "toxicity" than taking a relatively unknown compound.. although I am amused by the fact that you do

And psst, OP, there's a few more things you could try.  Bacopa and saffron, there's a few others too but they're too top secret.  I could tell you but my boss might make like, I don't know, kill you or something

#12 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

I made this thread to try to find out what in the alcohol is making me feel cured so I can take it as a supplement instead of drinking alcohol....

Also I drink wine moderately, so it's actually healthy....

#13 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

I made this thread to try to find out what in the alcohol is making me feel cured so I can take it as a supplement instead of drinking alcohol....

GABA: Alcohol affects the GABA system in a manner similar to valium leading to relaxation and drowsiness

Endorphins: Alcohol affects the endorphin system in a manner similar to opiates, acting as a pain-killer and giving an endorphin "high"

Glutamate: It is alcohol's effects on the glutamate system which lead to staggering, slurred speech, and memory blackouts

Dopamine: All drugs which lead to dependence appear to affect the dopamine system. Stimulants like amphetamine and cocaine affect dopamine directly whereas other drugs appear to affect it indirectly. In this article we will review the research on the effect of alcohol on dopamine

Norepinephrine: Also known as noradrenalin. Alcohol causes a release of norepinephrine in the brain which is one reason why alcohol acts as stimulant and not just as a depressant.

Adrenaline: Alcohol causes the adrenal glands to release adrenaline--this is another reason why alcohol has stimulant properties. The adrenaline is carried to the brain via the bloodstream.

Alcohol does not lead to an increase of dopamine throughout the brain; it only causes an increase in dopamine in the area of the reward pathway (Boileau et al 2003). This reward pathway is comprised primarily of the nucleus accumbens, the VTA (ventral tegmental area), and a part of the prefrontal cortex as shown in Figure 1.

http://hams.cc/dopamine.pdf

#14 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

Glutamate: It is alcohol's effects on the glutamate system which lead to staggering, slurred speech, and memory blackouts

Interesting info on anty NMDA action. I was not aware of this. The other actions are fairly well known.
Not sure of the slurred speech/memory/ataxia part. Don't benzos do it via GABA?

Edited by jack black, 01 March 2017 - 01:24 PM.

#15 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:01 AM

GABA: Alcohol affects the GABA system in a manner similar to valium leading to relaxation and drowsiness

Endorphins: Alcohol affects the endorphin system in a manner similar to opiates, acting as a pain-killer and giving an endorphin "high"

Dopamine: All drugs which lead to dependence appear to affect the dopamine system. Stimulants like amphetamine and cocaine affect dopamine directly whereas other drugs appear to affect it indirectly. In this article we will review the research on the effect of alcohol on dopamine

Norepinephrine: Also known as noradrenalin. Alcohol causes a release of norepinephrine in the brain which is one reason why alcohol acts as stimulant and not just as a depressant.

Adrenaline: Alcohol causes the adrenal glands to release adrenaline--this is another reason why alcohol has stimulant properties. The adrenaline is carried to the brain via the bloodstream.

Alcohol does not lead to an increase of dopamine throughout the brain; it only causes an increase in dopamine in the area of the reward pathway (Boileau et al 2003). This reward pathway is comprised primarily of the nucleus accumbens, the VTA (ventral tegmental area), and a part of the prefrontal cortex as shown in Figure 1.

http://hams.cc/dopamine.pdf

It's none of these because I've tried to increase each one (gaba, glutamate, dopamine, etc), and they make me even more anhedonic. I think histamine is the key here.

#16 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

Alcohol is anti glutanergic not pro.
What about histamine? What's the connection here? Have you tried carnosine?

#17 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:32 AM

I'm finding it curious that no one seems to think it weird that OP considers alcohol to be a supplement.

I'm also finding it curious that OP claims to greatly benefit solely from folic acid supplementation since we know that folate deficiency is not uncommonly seen in alcoholics because alcohol causes the body to accelerate the dumping of folate out through urine in addition to interfering with folate absorption.

What is OP's history with alcohol?

Should probably ascertain what's going on before doling out "advice."

Edited by Duchykins, 12 March 2017 - 03:49 AM.

#18 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:44 AM

A lot of people that say they drink alcohol "moderately" don't really know that they're gradually falling into a hole, and some have no idea that they're already in the hole.  If I hadn't witnessed such a thing with my own eyes I would never have thought it possible, that it was only some stereotype you see in the movies.

I'm not making accusations, and not trying to put you down, but maybe we could just try to get a little more specific.  That would help us puzzle things out a little.

Edited by Duchykins, 12 March 2017 - 03:46 AM.

#19 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:07 AM

It's none of these because I've tried to increase each one (gaba, glutamate, dopamine, etc), and they make me even more anhedonic. I think histamine is the key here.

Histamine, you say?

Okay, here's a simple, cheap and fairly harmless experiment:

We know alcohols, especially wines, not only contain a lot of histamine, but also contain chemicals which trigger systemic histamine release in the body.  This is one of the reasons I don't touch alcohol as a migraineur  (the other reason is the tyramine content of alcohol).

Eat high histamine foods and see what happens.   So something with vinegar, aged foods (meats, cheeses), walnuts, cashews, chocolate

Also try foods that contain chemicals that trigger systemic histamine release, especially citrus fruits, tomatoes, chocolate

And try things that contain DAO blockers like black tea (inhibit the breakdown of histamine)

Alcohol does all three of these things with histamine.

But keep in mind your problem might not be just GABA or just histamine or just one other thing.  It could easily be a combination.  Or something else entirely could be going on

Edited by Duchykins, 12 March 2017 - 04:08 AM.

• Needs references x 1

#20 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

I agree it's a combo of things more likely. The issue with eating the high histamine foods vs alcohol is that I have food  and other amine sensitivities, so there are other things in these foods that will make me feel sick thus overwhelming the effect of the histamine.  I've tried your suggestion numerous times. I tend to get a slight boost but then chemical sensitivities set in and I feel like shit. That's why I can only drink a very limited kinds of wines and liquor. The wrong kind makes me feel worse. 

• Needs references x 1

#21 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

I agree it's a combo of things more likely. The issue with eating the high histamine foods vs alcohol is that I have food and other amine sensitivities, so there are other things in these foods that will make me feel sick thus overwhelming the effect of the histamine.  I've tried your suggestion numerous times. I tend to get a slight boost but then chemical sensitivities set in and I feel like shit. That's why I can only drink a very limited kinds of wines and liquor. The wrong kind makes me feel worse. 

I'm skeptical about that because alcoholic beverages are chock full of tyramine which is the number one reason alcohol is infamous among migraineurs.  Migraineurs are very amine sensitive.  

The more aged and fermented the liquid is, the more tyramine it contains.  And you just happen to prefer all of the most aged alcohols.

You are apparently not sensitive to histamine.   

Tyramine and histamine are the most significant offenders in those who are amine sensitive.

I'm afraid your judgment is leading you astray.

I can't help you.

Edited by Duchykins, 12 March 2017 - 06:57 PM.

#22 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

Just curious, OP: how does your depression react to caffeinated coffee? Not tea: coffee.

#23 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

Just curious, OP: how does your depression react to caffeinated coffee? Not tea: coffee.

I can't tolerate coffee. It doesn't make me more depressed but it makes me dizzy, nauseaus, sweaty, and anxious.. It also worsens my short term memory.

#24 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

I agree it's a combo of things more likely. The issue with eating the high histamine foods vs alcohol is that I have food and other amine sensitivities, so there are other things in these foods that will make me feel sick thus overwhelming the effect of the histamine.  I've tried your suggestion numerous times. I tend to get a slight boost but then chemical sensitivities set in and I feel like shit. That's why I can only drink a very limited kinds of wines and liquor. The wrong kind makes me feel worse. 

I'm skeptical about that because alcoholic beverages are chock full of tyramine which is the number one reason alcohol is infamous among migraineurs.  Migraineurs are very amine sensitive.  

The more aged and fermented the liquid is, the more tyramine it contains.  And you just happen to prefer all of the most aged alcohols.

Tyramine and histamine are the most significant offenders in those who are amine sensitive.

I can't help you.

Dude, there many different amines and other things you find in foods that are not in alcohol, vice versa. Plus the distillation of alcohol removes many of those things, and also the base used for the fermentation matters ( grain vs grapes, kinds of grain and grapes etc) Like I said, I can tolerate certain alcohols fine, and I can tolerate certain foods fine. It is what it is. My case is not an easy one.

#25 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:04 PM

I can't help you.

Dude, there many different amines and other things you find in foods that are not in alcohol, vice versa. Plus the distillation of alcohol removes many of those things, and also the base used for the fermentation matters ( grain vs grapes, kinds of grain and grapes etc) Like I said, I can tolerate certain alcohols fine, and I can tolerate certain foods fine. It is what it is. My case is not an easy one.

Right.  Made more complicated by your denial.  

I can't help you.

• Unfriendly x 1

#26 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:06 PM

I can't tolerate coffee. It doesn't make me more depressed but it makes me dizzy, nauseaus, sweaty, and anxious.. It also worsens my short term memory.

No doubt because your electrolytes are screwed up from daily alcohol consumption.

• Unfriendly x 1

#27 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

No doubt because your electrolytes are screwed up from daily alcohol consumption.

Now you're coming off as an ignorant prick who doesn't know what he's talking just spewing nonsense. I have never been able to tolerate coffee in my life. It used to be worse when I was younger where I would have to lay down for a few hours to recover from coffee..I only started drinking alcohol consistently recently, a couple of months ago..Before that I would drink a few times a year. And when I was younger, never drank it.

• Unfriendly x 1

#28 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:30 PM

Now you're coming off as an ignorant prick who doesn't know what he's talking just spewing nonsense. I have never been able to tolerate coffee in my life. It used to be worse when I was younger where I would have to lay down for a few hours to recover from coffee..I only started drinking alcohol consistently recently, a couple of months ago..Before that I would drink a few times a year. And when I was younger, never drank it.

I've been drawing you out.  You're shutting everyone down, bringing everything back to booze and defending it.  No one can come up with ideas that you wouldn't immediately dismiss.

When was the last time you saw a doctor?  The fact that you appear to be better on folic acid indicates that you have a larger alcohol problem than you realize.

Edited by Duchykins, 12 March 2017 - 10:32 PM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#29 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:28 AM

How about small amounts of dark chocolate (say >80% dark and maybe like 30/g only) what does that do to your depression?

I've been drawing you out. You're shutting everyone down, bringing everything back to booze and defending it. No one can come up with ideas that you wouldn't immediately dismiss.

When was the last time you saw a doctor? The fact that you appear to be better on folic acid indicates that you have a larger alcohol problem than you realize.

She's correct here, you realize. Alcohol, if you're fighting depression, has a 0% batting average (don't know why I'm quoting American baseball haha) but what I mean to say is alcohol is not your friend in this fight, and if you abuse it, or even drink measured amounts, it's not going to be of any help. Sorry: it's a false friend -- and the clinical trials and epidemiology regarding the mixing alcohol and depression are overwhelmingly negative.

Edited by sthira, 13 March 2017 - 12:38 AM.

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users