• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Lethargy and anhedonia despite Vyvanse

adhd lethargy vyvanse anhedonia dopamine depression drpression adhd vyvanse depression

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NinefingerJoe

• 65 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:27 PM

Hello all, I've been lurking here for the past two years and I've learned a lot from you guys. Just wanted to say a quick thank you.

Onto the matter at hand…

I suffer from adult ADHD co morbid with Bipolar Disorder and GAD. I currently take vyvanse 50mg along with Abilify 20mg and buspirone 10mg. I'm supposed to take the buspirone 3X daily but instead combine it with melatonin at night. (This combo has done wonders for my anxiety and "residual" depression)

The issue I'm having is with the vyvanse. My doctor insists I take this as opposed to adderal. However, it makes me incredibly spacey. On days I don't take it, I'm so tired I can hardly move. This tiredness continues when I take it, but turns into the spaciness I endure. I can barely stay awake. Yesterday I literally fell asleep standing up at work. My performance is suffering and likewise is my marriage and my abilities as a father. My wife says she doesn't want me watching our kids anymore because I don't - or rather can't - take care of them properly.

Nothing makes me happy although I don't feel depressed anymore. Before, even with the Abilify as a mood stabilizer, I felt soul crushing depression that killed my motivation and self esteem.
Now it feels like although the depression is gone, the physical effects of it are still prominent.

Does anyone have any insight into my problems? I'm planning on talking to my psychiatrist next month but I'm not sure if I can hold out that long.

#2 logicmuffin

• 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:57 PM

Are you confident that the Vyvanse is to blame? It seems to me that the abilify and buspirone are much more likely to result in the side effect you reported (anhedonia, demotivation, fatigue). 

Depression is a weird animal. Antidepressants/mood stabilizers have always seemed to me to control the "sense of impending doom" and general angst associated with depression but never addressed the negative symptoms like apathy and hedonic tone.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

Hm, difficult to tell what is going on.

You get an antipsychotic against bipolar and GAD I suppose(?), then some of the weird psychotropics against anxiety that are sort of unpredictable.

Vyvanse is just retarded Adderall. It doesn't do anything different.

Rest assured you are taking stuff that largely cancels each other out. Work on your mania without any drugs at all, that's my best advice. The amphetamine will always push you into mania eventually. Swallowing as much lithium as to make the stimulant useless is dumb imho. You could work on your GAD as well with nootropics. Piracetam, Selank and such. Key is working on your disorders, not indefinitely drowning yourself with psychotropics. That's maybe good for a doctor's business, but not for your health.

Edited by Aolministrator, 26 February 2017 - 02:47 PM.

• dislike x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adhd lethargy vyvanse anhedonia dopamine depression, drpression, adhd, vyvanse, depression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users