Milk as a nootropic?

milk

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Serendipity

• 979 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:04 PM

I'm lactose intolerant, with normal milk, yogurt, or cheese I get stomach cramps, painful bowl movements.

But in the UK, they have a brand of milk called Lactofree. Which is normal pasteurized milk, but with the lactase enzyme added. And I have no problem consuming this milk. I have had raw milk before too, and I get the same lactose problems from that as I do regular milk. So I don't agree with people who say that because there is a natural lactase enzyme in raw milk, lactose intolerant people should have no problem drinking it.

Anyway recently in my life (I'm 28 btw) I get mentally fatigued very quickly. However I find drinking Lactofree Milk instead of eating, keeps me more awake and clear headed. Now super awake or clear headed, but helps.

I'm wondering, is milk a brain food at all?

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#2 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

I find milk calming, especially in PM before sleep. I think it's serotonin production because carbs in milk. YMMV
  • like x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:08 PM

Milk is bad for you in many ways, google the latest research.

It's the equivalent of junk food.
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • Ill informed x 2
  • Disagree x 2

#4 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:01 PM

Yeah milk causes significant oxidative stress, blocks the uptake of iron, and the proteins and carbs are responsible for multiple food sensitivity/inflammatory syndromes.  Perhaps a single cup of warm milk every few days is the most I can recommend.  Even so I'd just grab the yogurt or kefir.

• Disagree x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

#5 truboy

• 178 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:25 AM

I am either way around - any dairy is antinootropic for me.
Brain fog, worse impulse control, nootropics less effective, etc.

I didn't try this brand of milk though.
  • WellResearched x 1

#6 Plasticperson

• 246 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:32 AM

ive dranken milk everyday of my life pretty much

think it helped make me smarter definetly dont feel dumb or unhealthy

• Needs references x 1
  • like x 1

#7 Plasticperson

• 246 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:33 AM

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • like x 1

#8 Plasticperson

• 246 posts

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • like x 1

#9 Plasticperson

• 246 posts

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • like x 1

#10 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:21 AM

So many neg reps from people brain washed by the milk industry's pr campaign.

Next google search for you guys after Milk, should be "cognitive dissonance".
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#11 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:24 AM

https://www.google.c...biw=598&bih=280
http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/3550063
  • Ill informed x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#12 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 979 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:48 AM

@Plasticperson - Could you expand on your experiences?

Some things I'd like to know: 

1. How much milk do you drink within a day.

2. Do you drink it most days of the week?

3. Where do you live? Just because milk quality could be different depending on regulations of that country.

• Unfriendly x 1

#13 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 979 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

@Ark - When I first started using the Internet back in 1998 and onwards. I read a lot about this anti-dairy and anti-pastuerization movement, and believed it for most of my life. However if the cows aren't on antibiotics or on growth hormones, and you're not lactose intolerant like I am, I can't really see anything wrong with milk personally. Sure it may not have all the claims of building better bones, and it can be bad for you in some other ways as science has shown. But overall I think pasteurized milk (without the antibiotics or growth hormones) is a beneficial to the normal lactose tolerant person, rather than detrimental. It's not a poison, it's a food. 

In fact I've literally only recently started drinking milk after a very long time of actively avoiding it. And I'm pleasantly surprised how great it is as a snack or meal replacement. My stomach and body feels fine and light. I don't end up feeling ill or sick at all (unlike when I have high quantities of other food), and I'm drinking over 2 liters of the semi-skimmed stuff a day.

• Needs references x 1
  • unsure x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#14 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

oxidation: http://naturalsociet...nearly-useless/

eczema: https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/12487205

asthma: https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3279269/

cancer: https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/2300498

immune: https://www.scienced...71210104002.htm

and kefir has the opposite effect on the immune system: https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23621727

But for those with more metabolic issues, it might actually be good.  Really it's a case of not being for everybody.

The inflammatory score was significantly positive for the entire data set, indicating an anti-inflammatory activity in humans. When the subjects were stratified according to their health status, the IS was strongly indicative of an anti-inflammatory activity in subjects with metabolic disorders and of a pro-inflammatory activity in subjects allergic to bovine milk. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the omega 3s.  In that case, yogurt is just as good, and cheese and butter are even better (for me at least) because they cut out the offending proteins and carbs.

The content of oleic acid, conjugated linoleic acid, omega-3 fatty acids, short- and medium chain fatty acids, vitamins, minerals and bioactive compounds may promote positive health effects. Full-fat milk has been shown to increase the mean gastric emptying time compared to half-skimmed milk, thereby increasing the gastrointestinal transit time. Also the low pH in fermented milk may delay the gastric emptying. Hence, it may be suggested that ingesting full-fat milk or fermented milk might be favourable for glycaemic (and appetite?) regulation. For some persons milk proteins, fat and milk sugar may be of health concern. The interaction between carbohydrates (both natural milk sugar and added sugar) and protein in milk exposed to heat may give products, whose effects on health should be further studied, and the increasing use of sweetened milk products should be questioned. 

• Well Written x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#15 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:50 PM

Don't forget this one...

http://www.jaad.org/...0131-1/abstract
  • Ill informed x 1

#16 Plasticperson

• 246 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

-just think about all the civilizations that were dependent on milk throughout history LOL

-Theres not really a good source for vitamin b2 other than dairy

-Tried stopping drinking milk and actually had sleep problems and anger issues.. don't care about any study you post my body was designed to drink milk

• Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

#17 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 979 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

@Plasticperson - Could you expand on your experiences?

Some things I'd like to know: 

1. How much milk do you drink within a day.

2. Do you drink it most days of the week?

3. Where do you live? Just because milk quality could be different depending on regulations of that country.

4. What health benefits do you personally attribute to milk / what is your health like now?

5. Are you overweight at all?

Hey Plasticperson, I don't know whether you missed my questions directed at you or didn't want to answer them.

Whatever the case I'm reposting those questions as a quote just to be sure, I've also added a forth question fifth question.

It would be great if you could answer them or at least some of them, but I understand if you don't. 

Also I ask the weight question, because I had a friend at university who use to drink gallons of milk every day (along with eating normally) and was skinny. 

Edited by manny, 24 February 2017 - 04:44 PM.

#18 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:03 AM

@Ark - When I first started using the Internet back in 1998 and onwards. I read a lot about this anti-dairy and anti-pastuerization movement, and believed it for most of my life. However if the cows aren't on antibiotics or on growth hormones, and you're not lactose intolerant like I am, I can't really see anything wrong with milk personally. Sure it may not have all the claims of building better bones, and it can be bad for you in some other ways as science has shown. But overall I think pasteurized milk (without the antibiotics or growth hormones) is a beneficial to the normal lactose tolerant person, rather than detrimental. It's not a poison, it's a food.

In fact I've literally only recently started drinking milk after a very long time of actively avoiding it. And I'm pleasantly surprised how great it is as a snack or meal replacement. My stomach and body feels fine and light. I don't end up feeling ill or sick at all (unlike when I have high quantities of other food), and I'm drinking over 2 liters of the semi-skimmed stuff a day.

I feel like your response indicates you can't be educated by friendly debate, because you already think your right, and have ignored the evidence.

Like I said, milk or "store milk" is like a junk food, fresh milk might be okay. That being said I drink clear sodas, but I do so many other things that counteract the potential draw backs, that I can safely say I don't feel any blowback.

Yet, I don't see this as proof to soda being a health snack.

My point being just because someone lives their whole life, smokes a pack a day and is fine, doesn't mean smoking is safe or good for you.

If you would provide current references via the web to back your claims of milk's benifits, I'll take back my claim that milk is junk food.

Cheers,
Ark

Edited by Ark, 25 February 2017 - 05:19 AM.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#19 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:24 AM

-just think about all the civilizations that were dependent on milk throughout history LOL

-Theres not really a good source for vitamin b2 other than dairy

-Tried stopping drinking milk and actually had sleep problems and anger issues.. don't care about any study you post my body was designed to drink milk

Genes vary as far as what certian cultures can tolerate food wise. The fact you won't read any data related to the subject is pretty disrespectful considering your still claiming to be correct. I wouldn't put LOL after making that statement, it double shows how ignorant you are.

Edited by Ark, 25 February 2017 - 05:26 AM.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#20 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 979 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:08 PM

I'm not for debating much to be honest these days, but for the sake of argument I opened all the links you and the other fellow posted, and read the research.

---

Milk & Asthma - https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3279269/

If you open the link and read it, the conclusion at the bottom says:

"Current evidence does not directly link milk consumption and asthma. Hence, physicians should continue to encourage parents to follow Health Canada’s recommendation for regular consumption of milk for all children."

So basically this wasn't showing milk caused asthma at all, but rather there was currently no evidence for the link.

----
Milk and Risk of Cancer - https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/2300498

"Abstract

The reported milk consumption habits of 3,334 cancer patients and 1,300 comparable control subjects seen at Roswell Park Memorial Institute were studied. The cancer patient group included persons diagnosed with cancers of the oral cavity, stomach, colon, rectum, lung, breast, uterus, cervix, prostate, or bladder. Data were obtained by means of a standardized admissions questionnaire. As a group, control patients were more likely to report never drinking whole milk; cancer patients more often reported frequent consumption of whole milk. Relative risks of different patterns of milk consumption for specific cancer diagnoses, adjusted for sex, age, smoking history, education, and county of residence, were calculated with multiple logistic regression analysis. Elevated risks for frequent consumption of whole milk relative to not drinking milk were observed for cancers of the oral cavity, stomach, colon, rectum, lung, bladder, breast, and cervix. Reduced risks for frequent consumption of 2% milk relative to not drinking milk were observed for cancers of the oral cavity, stomach, rectum, lung, and cervix. Preference for exclusive consumption of reduced-fat milk was linked to significant risk reduction for oral and cervical cancers, and drinking only whole milk was linked to significant risk increases for cancers of the oral cavity, stomach, rectum, lung, and breast. Some associations were observed for a computed index of milk fat intake, but the overall pattern of effects was not fully explained by variations in fat content. The effects observed for some sites may be confounded by other dietary or nondietary correlates of risk."

So basically the questionnaire showed people with higher milk consumption had a higher risk of all sorts of cancers, as long as it is whole milk (full fat 2%). Reduced fat milk had a significant risk reduction of all those cancers. 

So first of all, this is really saying only full fat milk increases risk of cancer, not reduced fat milk. So you can't bundle all milks in one boat and say they're bad for you can cause cancer. Secondly this isn't a controlled study, it's a questionnaire and data analysis of risks. Which brings me to my third point. Since it's not a controlled study, we have no idea how the milk was produced or sourced.

In my opinion, this relates to what I said earlier: "But overall I think pasteurized milk (without the antibiotics or growth hormones) is beneficial to the normal lactose tolerant person, rather than detrimental. It's not a poison, it's a food." We know there is a link between cancer growth and excessive growth hormones. We also know in modern dairy practices, cows are given antibiotics and growth hormones (especially in the USA). And we also know fat is the most likely thing to store high levels of hormones in.

So this could explain the correlation of high fat milk consumption and cancer risks. But it doesn't prove it's down to the milk causing this. It could be the farming practices. The EU have banned many hormones given to cattle for the last 20 years, which are still legal in the US today and some manufacturers have only slowly phased out. Since we lack the data of how the milk was produced, we can't conclude just because of the correlation, that non treated, organically produced full fat milk would have caused this at all. For all we know, the generation of milk drinkers they got their data from, could be a product of the hormonal treatments the dairy industry used on their cattle over the years.

---

Milk and Eczema - https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/12487205

"Food allergy has a role in at least 20% of the cases of AEDS in children younger than 4 years. Cow's milk is usually the first food given to an infant, and cow's milk hypersensitivity is often the first symptom of an atopic condition...

After consumption of large amounts of cow's milk, 45% of 10-year-old children who had become tolerant of cow's milk, but also 15% of control subjects, still had gastrointestinal complaints. The presence of cow's milk allergy during infancy increases the risks for development of other food allergies, respiratory atopy, and persistence of AEDS.

CONCLUSION:

Adverse reactions to bovine proteins have an important role in AEDS."

So basically if your child has a cows milk allergy, and are fed cows milk when they're younger, they are more likely develop other allergies including eczema. Well that doesn't seem to hard to believe. But this isn't saying milk is bad. This is saying milk is bad for children who are allergic to it. There's nothing in this research to say that children without these milk allergies will suffer from these problems.

---

Milk and Teenagers with and without Acne  - http://www.jaad.org/...0131-1/abstract

"Limitations

Limitations include self-report of diet and portion size, and association does not determine causation.

Conclusions

Consumption of low-fat/skim milk, but not full-fat milk, was positively associated with acne."

First look at the limitations of this study I've underlined and bolded it.

Ignoring the limitations and going on the conclusion, if teenagers suffer from acne, then they may need to reduce or stop milk consumption. Doesn't mean milk is a junk food as you put it. Just mean's teenagers with acne should probably avoid it. 

It's like me. I actively avoid dairy because I'm lactose intolerant. Doesn't mean yogurt is a junk food. Just means my body can't handle it.

Also like me, I never suffered from acne when I was younger or going through puberty. And I use to drink milk back then, I only became lactose intolerant when I reached my 20's. 

---

The Huffington Post Article Ark linked to (Harvard Milk Study: It Doesn't Do A Body Good) - http://www.huffingto..._n_3550063.html

Is title is pure hyperbole and clickbait. The study in discussion is this one: http://jamanetwork.c...bstract/1704826

Which says: 

"In light of research linking sugar-sweetened beverage consumption to obesity, the US Department of Agriculture, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and other organizations have formulated recommendations on healthy beverages. These guidelines consistently recommend limiting consumption of all calorie-containing liquids, except reduced-fat milk, of which people in most age groups are encouraged to consume 3 cups daily. This article questions the scientific rationale for promoting reduced-fat milk consumption at these levels in children and adults and reconsiders the role of cow’s milk in human nutrition."

If you read the article, it mostly talks about how it's bad to give sweetened reduced fat milk to children. While whole fat unsweetened milk would benefit them more as it would fill them up. Then he talks about how humans have no nutritional requirement for milk and calcium can be gotten from better food sources. I could day the same with oranges. Humans have no nutritional requirement for oranges, because they can get those nutritional requirements from 100's of other foods.  

As we can see this piece was against US Department of Agricultures recommendation, because of sweetened milk. And nothing against regular milk being bad for you. In fact as I said previously, he mentions how unsweetened regular whole fat milk would be beneficial to prevent weight gain, vs sweetened low fat milk.

---

How Bacteria In Cows' Milk May Cause Crohn's Disease - https://www.scienced...71210104002.htm

"The team found that a bacterium called Mycobacterium paratuberculosis releases a molecule that prevents a type of white blood cell from killing E.coli bacteria found in the body.  E.coli is known to be present within Crohn’s disease tissue in increased numbers.

It is thought that the Mycobacteria make their way into the body’s system via cows’ milk and other dairy products.  In cattle it can cause an illness called Johne's disease - a wasting, diarrhoeal condition. Until now, however, it has been unclear how this bacterium could trigger intestinal inflammation in humans."

First look at the title and the words "May Cause". Secondly if we look at the research, the bacteria "is thought" to make it's way to humans via cows milk and other dairy products. Thirdly, we are talking about infected cows here. I'm sure consuming any animal (or it's byproducts), which is infected or disease ridden, is going to cause problems in human. How many people cook and eat gone off chicken where bacteria has multiplied? They are risking health problems. The same as if you get milk from a cow which is infected by mycobacteria and is possibly suffering from Johne's disease. I'm sure if anyone says this milk came from a cow who has Johne's disease or is infected by mycobacteria, people would pass. This research doesn't prove milk is bad, just infected milk might be bad. It's the same situation with eggs and salmonella.

---

I've kind of run out of steam at this point. But as for the last article on milk/yogurt reducing anti-oxidants in food by binding to them. If you look at food and beverages in general, there are so many interactions and bindings happening all the time and all over the place. I wouldn't call it huge cause for concern. This food reduces absorption of this, that beverage reduces absorption of that, doesn't mean they're junk food or poison. It just means you either have to be careful when combining certain foods, or don't worry about the reduction so much unless you think you're developing a big nutritional deficiency.

Edited by manny, 25 February 2017 - 02:26 PM.

#21 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 979 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

If you would provide current references via the web to back your claims of milk's benifits, I'll take back my claim that milk is junk food.

Cheers,
Ark

I think Ark, it's time to take back your claim that milk is a junk food at this point, as debated in my previous message, your claim doesn't stand.

And I don't need to back up my claims of the benefits of milk, as they are already well established. Milk is a food, and food is composed of nutritional values. And those nutritional values have plenty of research behind them, whether they are protein, vitamins, fats, mineral, etc...

Edited by manny, 25 February 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#22 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 979 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:42 PM

Also Ark, I looked at your profile, and see you have Bible scripture and charities in on there.

From this, assuming that you are a Christian. Why would you think milk is a junk food, when it is referenced so often in the Bible as a blessing.

https://www.kingjame...=milk and honey

God said Israel was a land which flowed with milk and honey. I'm sure what God has deemed as blessing, wouldn't be a junk food.

Posted in the quote are only some of the many verses:

Deuteronomy 11:9 - And that ye may prolong your days in the land, which the LORD sware unto your fathers to give unto them and to their seed, a land that floweth with milk and honey.  

Leviticus 20:24 - But I have said unto you, Ye shall inherit their land, and I will give it unto you to possess it, a land that floweth with milk and honey: I am the LORD your God, which have separated you from other people.   

Isaiah 7:22 - And it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give he shall eat butter: for butter and honey shall every one eat that is left in the land.  

Ezekiel 20:6 - In the day that I lifted up mine hand unto them, to bring them forth of the land of Egypt into a land that I had espied for them, flowing with milk and honey, which is the glory of all lands:

Edited by manny, 25 February 2017 - 02:44 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#23 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:51 PM

Cheers,
Ark

I think Ark, it's time to take back your claim that milk is a junk food at this point, as debated in my previous message, your claim doesn't stand.

And I don't need to back up my claims of the benefits of milk, as they are already well established. Milk is a food, and food is composed of nutritional values. And those nutritional values have plenty of research behind them, whether they are protein, vitamins, fats, mineral, etc...

Umm, I don't see you proved me wrong at all.

..??.?

Also the milk from the bible and the milk you grab from 7-11 are different all together. Honestly do you work for the milk industry?...
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Agree x 1

#24 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 979 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:15 PM

So let me get this straight. In post #20, I went through and showed that every article you and gamesguru linked to (7 in total), doesn't prove milk is a "junk food".

And you can't see how I proved you wrong?

You said to me earlier: "I feel like your response indicates you can't be educated by friendly debate, because you already think your right, and have ignored the evidence."

Are you sure you're not outwardly projecting that you cannot be educated by friendly debate, because you already think you're right, and have ignored the evidence presented to you?

Then you say things like: 

"Also the milk from the bible and the milk you grab from 7-11 are different all together. Honestly do you work for the milk industry?... "

and

"Like I said, milk or "store milk" is like a junk food, fresh milk might be okay."

So are you defending the milk produced in Bible days or not? Is Bible days milk "junk food" or not?

And why do you say fresh milk "might be" okay? This implies you think fresh milk could be just as bad as the "junk food" milk on the shelf stores today? By saying this you're creating ambiguity and blurring the lines, on whether we're debating milk based on the farming methods used today, or whether all milk is in itself a inherently and naturally flawed food?

So Ark, which is it?

Edited by manny, 25 February 2017 - 06:20 PM.

• Agree x 2

#25 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:39 PM

You didn't debunk anything guru or I said.

Sorry this is pointless you obviously have a invested interest in being correct. I won't waste any more of either of our times and respectfully am inclined to let you continue on with your milkstash.

Cheers,
Ark
  • dislike x 1

#26 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 979 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:16 PM

I feel like your response indicates you can't be educated by friendly debate, because you already think your right, and have ignored the evidence. - Ark

Once again I'm quoting you from earlier. Where is the friendly debate you wanted? I made all my points in post #20 on the 7 articles you and guru posted, and I awaited you response to this debate. But all you can state is I didn't debunk anything. Even some of the articles which "debunked" themselves, such as the conclusion the scientists came to in the asthma study (there is no direct link between milk consumption and asthma). 

Sorry this is pointless you obviously have a invested interest in being correct. I won't waste any more of either of our times and respectfully am inclined to let you continue on with your milkstash. - Ark

I have an invested interest in finding the truth. You have an invested interest in being correct, hence why you won't give me the friendly debate you asked for. I didn't ask to debate.

Next google search for you guys after Milk, should be "cognitive dissonance". - Ark

Maybe you never wanted a friendly debate? Maybe you wanted to insult anyone who didn't believe you, call them "brain washed" and suffering from "cognitive dissonance.

If you would provide current references via the web to back your claims of milk's benifits, I'll take back my claim that milk is junk food. - Ark

I provide you rational logic why milk is good for you. It's a food, it has nutritional value, and the body can utilize it (as long as you're not allergic or intolerant to it). Are you too proud to "take back your claim" that milk is a junk food?

But this all comes down to one simple question Ark, which you have failed to address so far. 

Is fresh milk or Biblical times milk junk food too? Or is it only modern milk you claim is junk food?

Edited by manny, 25 February 2017 - 11:40 PM.

#27 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:33 AM

I feel like your response indicates you can't be educated by friendly debate, because you already think your right, and have ignored the evidence. - Ark

Once again I'm quoting you from earlier. Where is the friendly debate you wanted? I made all my points in post #20 on the 7 articles you and guru posted, and I awaited you response to this debate. But all you can state is I didn't debunk anything. Even some of the articles which "debunked" themselves, such as the conclusion the scientists came to in the asthma study (there is no direct link between milk consumption and asthma).

Sorry this is pointless you obviously have a invested interest in being correct. I won't waste any more of either of our times and respectfully am inclined to let you continue on with your milkstash. - Ark

I have an invested interest in finding the truth. You have an invested interest in being correct, hence why you won't give me the friendly debate you asked for. I didn't ask to debate.

Next google search for you guys after Milk, should be "cognitive dissonance". - Ark

Maybe you never wanted a friendly debate? Maybe you wanted to insult anyone who didn't believe you, call them "brain washed" and suffering from "cognitive dissonance.

If you would provide current references via the web to back your claims of milk's benifits, I'll take back my claim that milk is junk food. - Ark

I provide you rational logic why milk is good for you. It's a food, it has nutritional value, and the body can utilize it (as long as you're not allergic or intolerant to it). Are you too proud to "take back your claim" that milk is a junk food?

But this all comes down to one simple question Ark, which you have failed to address so far.

Is fresh milk or Biblical times milk junk food too? Or is it only modern milk you claim is junk food?

Milk from the bible could be goat, cow or camel, fresh milk depending on your genes may be good for you. That being said, as far as health benifits, the evidence for supermarket milk commonly available is that it's junk food.

Still even fresh milk from cow's, seems to leach vitamin D from bones, and the store stuff is full of boiled puss. You say you debunked the most recent research, you should consider contacting Stanford scientists and let them know.... ;-)

Edited by Ark, 26 February 2017 - 01:35 AM.

• Unfriendly x 1

#28 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:40 AM

P.s. Japan has the lowest intake of milk globally, and the lowest risk of heart disease.
  • Ill informed x 1

#29 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:42 AM

7 Reasons Milk Is Bad For You

By RACHEL KRANTZ Jan 25 2016
I stopped eating dairy completely about six months ago. Though I was already a vegetarian, I was still putting cream in my coffee, and enjoying the occasional pizza and ice cream. But when I learned more about the dairy industry, I realized that for me, there was no way I could ethically continue to eat milk or cheese and feel good about where my food was coming from. I decided to cut out animal products out altogether, which was actually much easier than I thought it would be — especially because I can still eat delicious vegan pizza and rich coconut milk ice cream. Yes, it's a moral improvement for me, but it's also a physical one: because milk is actually pretty bad for you.

When I eat a ton of vegan food, I just don't feel stuffed or bloated in the same way I did when I would eat dairy. I just feel ... lighter. Perhaps that's because I, like many people, was not as good at digesting dairy as I thought I was. I know my mom is lactose intolerant — she has stories about being force-fed milk in her preschool, back in the '50s — and so are most Ashkenazi Jews. And most people of color. And ... basically everyone besides certain white europeans. As it turns out, that's because dairy — especially cow's milk — just isn't very good for your health, and most of us aren't made to process it.

If you've been thinking about cutting down on dairy, or you're wondering if you're sensitive to it, read on for seven health reasons why you might want to consider eliminating milk from your diet.

1. You Probably Can't Digest It Properly

You might not be diagnosed as lactose intolerant, but an astonishing three-quarters of us actually lack the enzyme to properly digest cow's milk, and suffer digestively from the stuff. Most people begin to produce less lactase, the enzyme that helps with the digestion of milk, when they stop breastfeeding, around two years old. If our families don't come from someplace that has raised dairy cows for centuries, it's just not in our genetics to be able to process it. An estimated 98 percent of Southeast Asians, 90 percent of Asian-Americans, 74 percent of Native-Americans, 70 percent of African-Americans, and the majority of Jewish, Latino, and Indian people all suffer from lactose intolerance.

Often, symptoms might be subtle enough that you won't notice how much better you feel until you cut dairy out. But people who suffer from asthma, headaches, fatigue, and digestive problems have also been shown to experience marked and often complete improvements in their health after cutting milk from their diets. One study removed dairy from the diets of 48 people suffering from either migraines or asthma — and 33 of them reported their condition improved significantly.

2. It Actually Makes You More Likely To Have Osteoporosis & Break Bones

It sounds counterintuitive, I know: the dairy industry has done an excellent job of equating milk with strong bones and preventing osteoporosis — but the research doesn't back it up.

High cow’s milk intake is associated with increased risk for bone fractures as well as death, according to a recent study in the British Medical Journal. Among women, those who consumed three or more glasses of milk per day had a 60 percent increased risk for developing a hip fracture and a 16 percent increased risk for developing any bone fracture.

Studies also indicate that when it comes to preventing osteoporosis, milk may actually increase women’s risk of getting the disease. A Harvard Nurses’ Health Study, which followed more than 72,000 women for 18 years, showed no protective effect of increased milk consumption on fracture risk. Instead of promoting bone health, animal protein in dairy products can have a calcium-leaching effect. Prof. T. Colin Campbell, professor of nutritional biochemistry at Cornell University, puts it this way: “The association between the intake of animal protein and fracture rates appears to be as strong as that between cigarette smoking and lung cancer.”

You should, of course, get enough calcium — but experts say you're much better off getting it from dairy-free sources that don't carry all these risks. On average, we absorb just 30 percent of the calcium found in milk, yogurt, and cheese; but we absorb twice the amount of calcium if we eat veggies like kale, broccoli, bok choy, spinach and lots of other plant-based foods that are really good for you in lots of ways.

3. There Are Lots Of Hormones In Milk

This is true even if your milk and yogurt is organic. Because dairy cows are kept on sex hormones or pregnant for their entire lives in order to lactate for humans year-round, when you consume dairy, you're also taking in a significant amount of the sex hormones estrogen and progesterone. We know that an increased exposure to estrogen increases the risk of cancer, and dairy accounts for 60 percent to 80 percent of estrogens consumed by humans today.

"Among the routes of human exposure to estrogens, we are mostly concerned about cow's milk, which contains considerable amounts of female sex hormones," Dr. Davaasambuu Ganmaa said in a talk at Harvard. Hormones in milk might also be to blame for the rise of "man boobs": A 2010 Japanese study found that men's testosterone levels decreased after they began drinking milk.

When it comes to non-organic milk, your risks are even higher. In addition to the natural hormones and growth factors produced within a cow’s body, milk contains synthetic hormones such as recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH) which is commonly used in cows to increase the production of milk. Once introduced into the human body, these hormones may also affect your normal hormonal function.

4. It Increases Your Risk Of Cancer

If you have a history of cancer in your family, you might want to seriously watch how much dairy you're eating. In 2006, Harvard researchers published the results of a meta study that looked at 100,000 women aged 26 to 46. Those who had the highest intake of meat and dairy products also had the highest risk of breast cancer (33 percent more than those who consumed the least). For men, over 20 studies have established a strong link between prostate cancer and milk consumption.

A more recent study published in the British Journal of Cancer, which followed 22,788 lactose intolerant participants from Sweden, showed that low consumption of milk and other dairy products is linked with decreased risks of lung, breast, and ovarian cancers. It makes sense — less exposure to excess sex hormones, less cancer risk.

5. There Are Lots Of Contaminants In Milk

Dairy products contribute from one-fourth to one-half of most people's dietary intake of dioxins. "Dioxins" is a catchall word for any highly toxic compound produced as the result of some manufacturing processes. All of these toxins do not readily leave the body and can eventually build to harmful levels that may affect the immune, reproductive, and the central nervous systems, and have also been linked to cancer.

Other contaminants often introduced during processing of milk products include melamine, which is also found in plastics, and negatively affects the kidneys and urinary tract due to its high nitrogen content, and carcinogenic toxins including aflatoxins. When farmers treat cows for conditions such as mastitis, an inflammation of the mammary glands that's incredibly common because of the constant milking cows suffer, antibiotics are used — which means you also might be drinking those.

6. It Makes Your Skin Break Out

Dairy products and foods with a high glycemic index are the leading causes of acne, according to a review published in a 2013 issue of the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Researchers examined the link between acne and diet and have found that certain products, especially cow’s milk, produce and stimulate hormones linked with acne. This study supports previous findings from the Harvard School of Public Health and lots of other studies linking dairy and acne.

7. It Doubles The Risk Of Parkinson's Disease For Men

Another study conducted on 7,500 men showed that those who drank more than two glasses of milk a day were twice as likely to develop Parkinson's disease as those who didn't. Yikes. Researchers aren't sure why it increases the risk so dramatically — and only in men — but they think it has something to do with the pesticides present in milk.

The Bottom Line

Clearly, you're probably better off trying one of the many other milk alternatives out there. Many of these health risks apply to dairy consumption in general as well — not just milk — so if you want to do yourself, the environment, and those poor female cows a solid, it's certainly worth trying to cut back on your dairy consumption. Who knows, you might just feel a whole lot better. I know I did.
Copy pasted
  • Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 orion602

• 83 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:59 AM

P.s. Japan has the lowest intake of milk globally, and the lowest risk of heart disease.

Japan has one of the lowest milk intake for a reason,

Countries with highest per capita milk consumption don't fare too bad, top 5 have life expectancy around 80 years and above. https://en.wikipedia...tion_per_capita

but note the geography of those countries.. I would say milk drinking and its impact on health is highly dependent on individual ancestry.

img.jpg

• Agree x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: milk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users