• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

A Harvard expert shares his thoughts on testosterone-replacement therapy

hormone replacement therapy testosterone replacement therapy testosterone harvard expert

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Karlovsky

• Guest, Moderator
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:04 AM

Doctors are starting to wake up about hormone replacement therapy... unfortunately the medical industry is coming from an overtly conservative starting point. TRT can save lives, and improve quality of life. 

Unfortunately in Australia, where I live, what is considered low testosterone is below 200ng/dL! This is ridiculous, as low testosterone symptoms can start as high as 450ng/dL.

I hope the undecanoate ester becomes cheaper and more widely available, as it seems like the most time-efficient reliable replacement.

"When most doctors learned about testosterone in medical school, they learned about total testosterone, or all the testosterone in the body. But about half of the testosterone that’s circulating in the bloodstream is not available to the cells. It’s tightly bound to a carrier molecule called sex hormone–binding globulin, which we abbreviate as SHBG.

The biologically available part of total testosterone is called free testosterone, and it’s readily available to the cells. Almost every lab has a blood test to measure free testosterone. Even though it’s only a small fraction of the total, the free testosterone level is a pretty good indicator of low testosterone. It’s not perfect, but the correlation is greater than with total testosterone.

I think that the biggest hurdle for most physicians prescribing testosterone is the fear that they’re going to promote prostate cancer. [See “Incongruous findings,” below.] That’s because more than six decades ago, it was shown that if you lowered testosterone in men whose prostate cancer had metastasized, their condition improved. (It became a standard therapy that we still use today for men with advanced prostate cancer. We call it androgen deprivation or androgen-suppressive therapy.) The thinking became that if lowering testosterone makes prostate cancer disappear, at least for a while, then raising it must make prostate cancer grow. But even though it’s been a widely held belief for six decades, no one has found any additional evidence to support the theory.

I think that the importance of testosterone for cardiovascular health is going to be increasingly recognized. In the past, because men die of heart attacks more often than women and men have more testosterone, the fear has been that testosterone causes heart problems. But every single study of whether testosterone is bad for the heart has been negative, and what people haven’t pointed out in most of those negative studies is that there may be a beneficial effect.

I think we’ll also find out in five years that there very well may be general health benefits of having normal testosterone compared to low testosterone. There are growing data for all-cause mortality that men who have low testosterone die earlier than those who have normal testosterone. A study by the Veterans Administration reported about a year ago showed low testosterone levels were associated with a dramatically increased mortality rate. It’s hard to know why that is, but I think we’ll be focused on that in the coming years."

http://www.harvardpr...acement-therapy

Other than testosterone, the industry should be looking more into mixing transdermal creams with Undecanoate and Nandrolone. Creams can help replicate the circadian rhythm of testosterone and estrogen, while Undecanoate can prevent serum crashes, and Nandrolone's progesterone affinity could be useful for many men. Further adjuncts to be considered are: pregnenolone, dhea, ibutamoren and boron.

Who here is on HRT, and what are people's opinions on the matter?  

Edited by Adam Karlovsky, 17 March 2017 - 02:34 AM.

#2 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:09 AM

When I ran large doses of T and nandrolone, I felt fantastic. Nandrolone has done much to heal soft tissue injuries that I have suffered from.

Nandrolone, even in small doses will raise RBC counts and throw your lipids into the gutter. Steroids are not for everyone. I can't imagine a doctor prescribing nandrolone for HRT. nandrolone can also grow breasts in men. I am not sure what a safe dose is before gynocomastia becomes a concern. It does this via progesterone. You have to take ancillaries when running nandrolone and you have to run it with T else you run the risk of deca dick.

I don't see anything wrong with older guys taking T. Its a marvelously wonderful hormone that does a lot of good for the body. As long as its used in safe doses of <= 100mg weekly I say go for it. Forget the GNC commercials showing men taking T boosters and then climbing mountains. Its a vital hormone that helps maintain muscle and does some other good things,that's it.

Edited by Rocket, 19 March 2017 - 01:13 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:59 AM

Nandrolone is very anabolic and low aromatizing (turning into estrogens) but suppresses endogenous testosterone big time even at tiny dosages.

Nandrolone alone isn't a smart choice, it has always to be paired with higher amounts of testosterone or one will suffer all the side effects of extremely low testosterone.

Actually nandrolone is used in bodybuilding because less concerns of developing gynecomastia than with testosterone when in high dosages but anti aromatase are a must anyway at such dosages.

In the majority of cases for our scope testosterone is just fine, scopes (and dosages) of bodybuilders are different.

Right amounts of progesterone are helpful in order to regulate testosterone/estrogens ratio.

DHEA alone isn't likely a smart choice.

Ibutamoren does make a difference and well worth considering.

• Needs references x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:23 PM

It's not conservative governments that want to make everything illegal and prescription-only, it's liberal governments. The more liberal, the more all-encompassing regulations.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • unsure x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

#5 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:17 AM

So your point is that the original post should read "the medical industry is coming from an overtly LIBERAL starting point"? That doesn't make any sense.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#6 kench

• 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:59 PM

I'm an old guy(68) doing TRT (Androgel 50mg packets) for a year.

Trying to see if it improves muscles, cognition, well-being.

Maybe some improvements. Total T didn't budge from 390.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

I'm an old guy(68) doing TRT (Androgel 50mg packets) for a year.

Trying to see if it improves muscles, cognition, well-being.

Maybe some improvements. Total T didn't budge from 390.

You can't use androgel for muscle building. It is very weak. You need injections, there are subq injections..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hormone replacement therapy, testosterone replacement therapy, testosterone, harvard, expert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users