• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Showers: Inhaling chloramines/flouride/etc, and seeking filters and/or other solutions

shower showers filters filter fluoride chlorine chloramine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainJ

• 24 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:10 AM

Folks may or may not realize that the steam in their showers, especially from munincipal water supplies here in the US, can be more toxic than drinking the tap water they are careful to avoid.  I just read that after the typical shower you can have the same amount of chlorine in you as you'd get from drinking a gallon of the same water.  Skin and hair contact with it aren't particularly helpful either. 

Ive been looking into getting a new filter for the first time in a long while, and now see that the one I purchased in the past, no longer claims to remove fluoride, nor do any I can find.  While homeowners can use whole home filtration system, it's frustrating for those of us who rent.  Ive also read that many munincipalities now use chloramines(chlorine combined with ammonia) istead of chlorine, and like fluoride, shower filters can't filter them out(with the possible exception of vitamin c shower filters, which must be replaced rather quickly).  Apparently the water needs to remain in contact with the filtering media far longer than happens than with a shower filter.

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on the vitamin c filters which supposedly remove both chlorine and chloramine?  

I was surprised not to see much, if anything, concerning this subject on here(or anywhere online, so far!).  Ive seen the tenacity some folks on here address some subjects, and if I could see half of that level aimed at this, I would very happy!  For the vast majority of Americans(at least), this would seem as important as whether or not they are drinking untiltered tap water.  I would appreciate any solutions anyone would be willing to share.  

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2 Russ Maughan

• 167 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:18 PM

Still no response? I've been researching best I can about this, just bought a PUR system will have to do. Wish I was as good a biochemist as other things. Anyone? ...or is this addressed elsewhere?

#3 recon

• 192 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:40 AM

I’ve been using Vitamax shower filter and Vitagel Vitamin C filter from the same company.
They are from Korea and are purported to rid chlorine and chloramine.

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users