• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Light transmission thru colored plastic containers?

light spectrum absorption transmission container bottle green

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kabb

• 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

I take Swanson's Premium Riboflavin which is supplied in green plastic bottles.  The green color does not look like it would hold back much of the sort of blue/violet light known to significantly degrade Riboflavin (wavelength 340 to 480 nm).  The color green itself is on the very limit of the type of light which degrades Riboflavin.

Am I worrying too much or are these green plastic containers not really suitable for the job?

Of course this applies to several other light-sensitive supplements too.

#2 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:51 PM

Even though Swanson's is really cheap and they probably store their products for very long before selling, I find that they're almost always very good quality products. It's a weird combination of things.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

that's everything sweeping from slight ultraviolet to slight green.  chlorophyll does a good job absorbing extremes of the spectrum, including unltraviolet and infrared.  green is sort of sandwiched in the middle royGbiv.  swanson must have paid someone hundreds of thousands of dollars to tell them this.  it's also doubtful they store it in direct sunlight, and not advised that you do either

#4 Kabb

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

This is the spectral spread of light absorption for Riboflavin which shows sensitivity to light of wavelength 340 to 480 nm:

https://openi.nlm.ni...066408.g002.png

This page show roughly which colors have those wavelengths:

https://en.wikipedia...um#Spectroscopy

A significant unknown factor is the amount of useful blue-violet tinting contained in the green plastic of the bottle.

I too consider Swanson reputable but their green bottles used in the cheap Premium range may not be great.  Riboflavin can lose almost all its potency after 24 hours exposure to 3000 lux (which is approx as bright as direct sunlight).  I want to keep my bottles of Swanson Premium Riboflavin for a few months in a room which, from time to time, will be brightly lit by the sun.

A messy option is to put the Riboflavin capsules into a darker bottle and make a note of label information such as batch number and manufacturing date.

#5 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:15 PM

This is the spectral spread of light absorption for Riboflavin which shows sensitivity to light of wavelength 340 to 480 nm:

https://openi.nlm.ni...066408.g002.png

This page show roughly which colors have those wavelengths:

https://en.wikipedia...um#Spectroscopy

A significant unknown factor is the amount of useful blue-violet tinting contained in the green plastic of the bottle.

I too consider Swanson reputable but their green bottles used in the cheap Premium range may not be great.  Riboflavin can lose almost all its potency after 24 hours exposure to 3000 lux (which is approx as bright as direct sunlight).  I want to keep my bottles of Swanson Premium Riboflavin for a few months in a room which, from time to time, will be brightly lit by the sun.

A messy option is to put the Riboflavin capsules into a darker bottle and make a note of label information such as batch number and manufacturing date.

Why can't you just put the bottles in some kind of box or bag? Like one of those paper bags used to store potatoes in? Wouldn't that be a simple solution...?

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 27 March 2017 - 08:16 PM.

#6 Kabb

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

Why can't you just put the bottles in some kind of box or bag? Like one of those paper bags used to store potatoes in? Wouldn't that be a simple solution...?

The problem is that I'm dosing Riboflavin (in addition to other light sensitive supplements) 4 or 5 times a day, so using extra boxes or bags becomes a recurring nuisance.

#7 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

The problem is that I'm dosing Riboflavin (in addition to other light sensitive supplements) 4 or 5 times a day, so using extra boxes or bags becomes a recurring nuisance.

I honestly don't think it's an issue. Isn't there something with riboflavin changing color to blue when exposed to direct sunlight? I had a yeast starter stay in direct sunlight and after a couple of hours it turned blue. These yeast produce B vitamins

Or if not blue it was some other color, I can't remember which exactly.

Edited by PeaceAndProsperity, 29 March 2017 - 12:44 PM.

#8 Kabb

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

I honestly don't think it's an issue. Isn't there something with riboflavin changing color to blue when exposed to direct sunlight? I had a yeast starter stay in direct sunlight and after a couple of hours it turned blue. These yeast produce B vitamins

Or if not blue it was some other color, I can't remember which exactly.

Hello PeaceAnd prosperity.  I understand  riboflavin is astonishingly sensitive to light.  See this poster presentation of a research paper which is where I got the figure of 3,000 lux for 24 hours for 50% degradation that I quoted earlier.

http://kb.osu.edu/ds...C Poster_RF.pdf

Riboflavin is an essential vitamin and present in milk, eggs and meats. Riboflavin is stable during processing and storage in dark, but it is very sensitive to light. The rapid destruction of riboflavin in foods under light has significantly adverse nutritional impact and lowers the quality of foods. The mechanisms of rapid destruction of riboflavin and the protection of riboflavin under light have been extensively studied since riboflavin was discovered. The objectives were to separate and identify the compounds formed from riboflavin under light and to study the mechanisms for the formation of compounds from riboflavin to minimize the destruction of riboflavin in foods under light.

Edited by Kabb, 30 March 2017 - 12:05 PM.

#9 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

Well maybe you're right but I've bought riboflavin before and never had issues... orange color.

#10 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

It's not hard find a spot in a room where no sunlight hits.  It's a process of trial and error.  Just when you think your plastic gallon of water is safe you get home from work and discover to your horror a beam of light shimmering down from the heavens, photo-degrading those phthalates all up in your drinking water.  Time to find a new spot bruh.  If riboflavin is truly as sensitive as you're making it out to be, it's doubtful whether even amber glass in a paper bag would protect against long-term exposure

Or you could just, you know, eat food? https://ods.od.nih.g...rofessional/#h3

#11 Kabb

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

It's not hard find a spot in a room where no sunlight hits.  It's a process of trial and error.  Just when you think your plastic gallon of water is safe you get home from work and discover to your horror a beam of light shimmering down from the heavens, photo-degrading those phthalates all up in your drinking water.  Time to find a new spot bruh.  If riboflavin is truly as sensitive as you're making it out to be, it's doubtful whether even amber glass in a paper bag would protect against long-term exposure

Or you could just, you know, eat food? https://ods.od.nih.g...rofessional/#h3

Hello GamesGuru.  If all it took is a spot where no light strikes then all supplements would come in clear glass bottles.  Earlier in this thread I have addressed points like amber light, sensitivity to degradation, and how food would be insufficient.

#12 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:41 PM

Hello GamesGuru.  If all it took is a spot where no light strikes then all supplements would come in clear glass bottles.  Earlier in this thread I have addressed points like amber light, sensitivity to degradation, and how food would be insufficient.

Maybe try coenzyme riboflavin which you only need tiny bits of so assuming most of your riboflavin was biodegraded it wouldn't matter.

https://www.amazon.c...vin 5 phosphate

#13 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

Removing it from sunlight is the easiest solution.  I mean what do you guys live in, a glass house?  And I think the reason supplements tend not to come in clear bottles has more to do with the legibility of print and the unsightliness of capsules.  The labels tend to match the color scheme on the bottles

The body is pretty good at recycling and conserving riboflavin.  If you start having problems, make a minor change in your diet and no more problems

#14 Kabb

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

Maybe try coenzyme riboflavin which you only need tiny bits of so assuming most of your riboflavin was biodegraded it wouldn't matter.

https://www.amazon.c...vin 5 phosphate

Hello PeaceAndProsperity.  I sometimes do take R-5-P if the mood takes me and I want to give the riboflavin a rest.  

I established that a 100mg dose of Riboflavin works well for me (and I repeat that four or five times a day) but I haven't established a dose for R-5-P because it doesn't seem to have as distinct an effect as Riboflavin does although I may need to experiment more to be certain about this.  I take exactly the same Swanson R-5-P you kindly provided a link to.

Are you saying that R-5-P is usually taken in much smaller doses than Riboflavin ?

Edited by Kabb, 31 March 2017 - 11:26 AM.

#15 Kabb

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

Removing it from sunlight is the easiest solution.  I mean what do you guys live in, a glass house?  And I think the reason supplements tend not to come in clear bottles has more to do with the legibility of print and the unsightliness of capsules.  The labels tend to match the color scheme on the bottles

The body is pretty good at recycling and conserving riboflavin.  If you start having problems, make a minor change in your diet and no more problems

Hello GamesGuru. I have seen your posts and they are usually well informed so I am at a loss why you are making incorrect statements here.

My last delivery of BCAA tablets came in a clear plastic bottle container and the supplier seems set to extend the use of clear bottles, so I doubt this is just a marketing or cosmetic consideration.  Amber lightproof bottles are widely used by pharmacists in medicine and have been for well over a century to prevent UV light degradation.  I am questioning the sufficiency of green bottles which when used as beer bottles are known to be highly deficient and permit quick spoilage.

Riboflavin is notorious for light degradation and texts discussing industrial use of vitamins sometimes devote a chapter to overcoming the problem.  I have given links here to a study which quantifies this and have quoted from it.

The notion that dietary Riboflavin is sufficient to overcome a mitochondrial disease, which I have, is so incorrect that I feel you might want to check into the source of your repeated advice to see where the misunderstanding has occurred.  In normals riboflavin deficiency is considered rare but that is not what this whole forum is about and not what I am using riboflavin for.

By the way do you have any proof for the  statement that the body is good at conserving riboflavin?  Riboflavin is converted to other flavins and maybe you are referring to them instead.  However even those flavins are not recycled for a very long time.

Edited by Kabb, 31 March 2017 - 11:29 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

most supplements aren't as perishable as beers.  Even beer used to be kept in clear glass, and it didn't cause much problem in the wintertime or when you kept it out of direct sunlight..  You can't deny clear bottles with white labels would just look odd.

B2 gets stored in enzymes and freely dissociates as needed.  As well, it serves at a catalyst in many oxo-reducto reactions (including ones for apoptosis and programmed death) similar to how platinum works in your catalytic converter or CFCs in the ozone layer.  Usually the people showing deficiency are the ones who swear off white bread, pastas and other commonly enriched foods.  And of course if you have a malformed riboflavin transporter you will need more than you get from your diet.  Not that B2 is the be-all end-all to mitochondrial issues..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users