Depression and apathy on Latuda

latuda antipsychotic

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bill123456789

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:09 AM

Hello, I was discussing the topic at hand with Duchykins and was wanting to further the conversation. She was recommending things I could try with it such as theanine. Latuda manages my mania well but I feel less capable of enjoying things now. Maybe along with lowering mania it is normal to feel slightly apathetic and depressed? Any thoughts appreciated. I just miss feeling more alive and have gone so far as to question if something such as orgasms are causing my high prolactin levels in me (currently 30 in whatever units they use, normal male is 15) which in turn is causing depression. Thanks.

#2 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

I take Latuda for schizophrenia and it really helps more against apathy than Zyprexa or Risperdal. The depression for me is hard to say, correct me if I'm wrong but Latuda is also used as an adjunct to fight depression. I'm on a mix of Mirtazapine and Latuda, they interact really bad and I haven't found another option for the Mirtazapine because it helps me sleep. But that combination makes my depression worse and more noticeable.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 bill123456789

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:43 PM

Yeah, that's what I don't get. It's supposed to act like an antidepressant but I've not experienced that.

#4 Visson

• 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:57 PM

Latuda does great things for my depression and I have no idea how it effects my hypomania/mania as that was already pretty under control with epival. I experience hallucinations whenever I'm not eurythmic and it does a fantastic job of taking care of those as well. I usually respond pretty quickly to meds and this one was on the long end of things for me, and it was slow sort of drift upwards. I do notice within hours if I've missed a dose. Increased prolactin was a side effect I was told to watch out for.

I do have occasional moments of emotional flatness I didn't experience at lower doses though. If it isn't working for you why keep using it? Its expensive as hell. 

#5 bill123456789

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

Well it manages my mania really well to the point that I can hold a job. I don't want to give that up. I hated abilify which is what my doctor wanted to switch me to. The alternatives don't look so great I guess. I just wish I had a way to boost mood while on Latuda.

#6 bill123456789

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:20 PM

I too can tell very quickly when I've missed a dose. I think it's doing a great job keeping me normal and I'm just missing euphoric mania. Not sure though.

#7 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:26 PM

If you live in the US switching to Vraylar might be an option, it's supposed to work for bipolar, depression and little more than other antipsychotics for negative symptoms too.
If you live in the EU you have to wait a couple of months more before Vraylar is on the market.

Edited by YoungSchizo, 22 April 2017 - 10:30 PM.

#8 Visson

• 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:21 PM

Well it manages my mania really well to the point that I can hold a job. I don't want to give that up. I hated abilify which is what my doctor wanted to switch me to. The alternatives don't look so great I guess. I just wish I had a way to boost mood while on Latuda.

I too can tell very quickly when I've missed a dose. I think it's doing a great job keeping me normal and I'm just missing euphoric mania. Not sure though.

I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly. Are you saying that your left depressed, or that you miss the euphoria and life without it is kinda dull?

I don't know what kind of lifestyle you live but one thing that has consistently annoyed me about not having euphoric hypomania in my life is that I have to go out of my way to find the right balance of non-substance stimulating activities to feel upwards. I can't just sit back and marinate in good feelings, I have to find the environmental "price" for them. And they are of a different nature, a different flavour.

#9 bill123456789

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

That's what I'm wondering. I'm not sure. I feel depressed but deep down I think I'm normal and just missing euphoric mania.

#10 Visson

• 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:20 AM

You would know for sure, better than me. Good luck though

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#11 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:27 PM

Why did you hate Aripiprazol (abilify)? It actually LOWERS prolactin you know - if you have problems with high prolactin, then it should have made you feel TONS better.

Have you considered trying BREXpiprazol (rexulti) otherwise? It doesn't lower prolactin, alas (unlike it's cousin, aripiprazol aka abilify), but it's supposed to be more effective for depression. First officially approved antipsychotic for the treatment of depression!  = )

References:

---------------------

Brexpiprazole: so far so good

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4749739/

Normalization of Risperidone-Induced Hyperprolactinemia with the Addition of Aripiprazole

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3004714/

Effects of aripiprazole on prolactin levels in subjects with schizophrenia during cross-titration with risperidone or olanzapine: analysis of a randomized, open-label study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/19038534

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users