Plz help.Cognitive dysfunction/negative syptoms

cognition negative symptoms depression

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shiny

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:13 AM

Hi all, my name is Shiny and I am 31 years old.

In 2015 i ended up in the mental hospital for a month for drug induced psychosis (marijuana).i was on some antipsychotic which was an injectable and after a month i got out of the hospital i was totally fine,no more delusions or hearing voices. Stupidly enough I went back to smoking pot (previously i smoked for 5yrs and had great memory and was super motivated and considered myself pretty inteligent),but after smoking for a month or two i noticed that i literally had no thoughts whatsoever.so i kept smoking and smoking hoping i would get the same effects i used to get but nothing...zero thoughts about anything.i would just sit and stare stoned. I did that for a whole year :(

Recently i went to a psychiatrist and he told me i have negative symptoms of schizophrenia and put me on solian (amisulpride)50mg and 20mg prozac. I didnt want to take them together so i tried prozac first and it made me very sedated and suicidal so i went off it. Then i tried solian,first day was stimulating,i was singing and dancing but without thoughts. The second,3rd day were very sedating,4th day to my surprise i had a THOUGHT!i thought hey it would be cool to go to the city and that one day i might have a bf.these are the first "original" thoughts i have had all year. I then decided to have a glass of oj and within minutes i went back to being the way i was without motivation and thoughts.I took solian for a bit longer and still found it sedating and without any thoughts and decided to stop it.
I read online that poverty of thought is caused by either severe depression,negative symptoms of schizophrenia or dementia. So seeing as negative symptoms are untreatable i was hoping its just major depression (have suffered dep since i was 15) so decided to try luvox because my ex said it was helpful in the past. I found it to be sedating but on 5th day i woke up in the middle of night from a tooth ache,took some aspirin and went back to bed and to my amazement for the first time in a whole year i couldnt fall asleep because i actually had continuous thoughts! I was so excited because i thought to myself wow for all the people with poverty of thought that i have come across online THIS is the answer,luvox! I was so happy. I went back to sleep and the next day again for the first time in a long time i had that inner monologue!after a few morning cigs...all of a sudden BAM nothing,it all just went away and i was empty brained staring. I did read online that there is nicotine interaction w luvox. I took it for a few more days(didnt have thoughts tho)and decided that i should try an ssri that isnt sedating something i can take in the morning as i wasnt motivated after luvox. I went to my psychiatrist and even tho i said i wanted an ssri to take in the morning he put me on Endep(amitryptaline). Its good for sleeping but i feel even more stupid on it. I have read today that Endep is an anticholinergic and is very bad for cognitive functions,where as Luvox is pretty good due to the sigma 1 receptors. I am stopping Endep today!

I was wondering if I should try zoloft as it has those sigma receptors which i beleive are helping me think,or stick with Luvox (has more sigma receptors?),but i do find it sedating. Or take luvox for longer and maybe sedation will wear off? It is a true miracle that something has worked to give me thoughts.

Also i wanted to add that another psychologicst told me i have bipolar and going through a depression. This is the guy that gave me Endep.

Any comments about my situation would be SO much appreciated. Over a year i have been sitting and smoking once cig after another without random thoughts through my head like a normal person. I am literally like a zombie :(

#2 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

Are you sure you have Schizophrenia with predominantly negative symptoms, and not just drug-induced DEPERSONALISATION/DEREALIZATION? Do you have any other cases of Schizophrenia in your family?

Read up on it here:

https://en.wikipedia...zation_disorder

I would talk to your Dr. about being evaluated for this disorder as well - the reason I mention it, is because your symptoms sound so similar to several others on this forum, and they all have DP/DR - there's also the fact that an SSRI, Fluvoxamine (luvox) helped - SSRI's are among the two single drugs which have shown efficacy in treating DP/DR - the other one being LAMOTRIGINE - an antidepressant and mood-stabiliser, but also anti-epilepsy -mediction - unlike SSRI's, which predominantly affect Serotonin, Lamotrigine mostly affects Glutamate.

DP/DR is believed to be a disorder of the glutamatergic and Opioid networks in the brain.

Now, I don't want to say too much about your potential negative symptoms of Schizophrenia yet, because IMHO, that's not a sure-fire thing - you should get a second opinion on your symptoms. But, rest assured, there ARE medications which affect negative symptoms! It can be treated, at least to some extent - it's just that the treatment is often complicated and often ends up involving several different drugs. But, more drugs and evidence regarding which of the older drugs work, are coming in every day - some stuff has finally started moving on that.

Don't give up hope.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cognition, negative symptoms, depression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users