- - - - -

Lower Back Pain

pain

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#31 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:38 AM

I agree with both of you to some degree but I'm with Aconita that we shouldn't have to feel pain and it means something is wrong for sure. What I think is wrong is that I've been walking upright and using my back for 42 years (43 tomorrow). I think age has worn down the disks but more so there's a lot of inflammation that began back in my heavy weight lifting days.

Wait, your birthday is on 420? Haha, well of course there's sour diesel for lower back pain, and it fucking rocks for pain. Medicinal marijuana, yes yes yes. But there are side effects, and of course sweet mother plants aren't really curing what ails you. She's just masking the pain, she might be more fun than boring ole ibuprofen, but I still think that modern otc pharmaceutical anti-inflammatories are pretty fucking great. Here's an instance -- ibuprofen -- of a drug that actually works (at treating symptoms). Yet "treating symptoms" is sometimes really good because it teaches the brain to stop sending stupid pain signals to areas of the body where no defect exists to cause pain. I'm back to saying pain in the body is often learned response.

And happy birthday! Birthday on 420 makes you one of the cool kids.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • like x 1

#32 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:02 PM

Where am I going to get old innertubes lol? Not trying to be difficult, I'll figure it out even if I just buy the voodoo bands.

That wall pose looks like it might feel good but needs a video, written words are way too confusing when trying to explain how you physically do something. Maybe YouTube has something, I'll find it. 

My gym probably has something.

This morning I woke up with it bad. Like, I can lay in this bed for a good 3 hrs and be fine, but 8 hrs and suddenly I'm in pain. It's hard to tell if it's the mattress or just the fact that being in one position for too long is the problem. If it were the mattress I'd have found one by now that doesn't do this, but maybe it hasn't been invented yet. All I know is changing mattresses has never helped for all the many times I've done it.

I'll definitely stop doing crunches. Are planks bad? Side planks?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

I agree with both of you to some degree but I'm with Aconita that we shouldn't have to feel pain and it means something is wrong for sure. What I think is wrong is that I've been walking upright and using my back for 42 years (43 tomorrow). I think age has worn down the disks but more so there's a lot of inflammation that began back in my heavy weight lifting days.

Wait, your birthday is on 420? Haha, well of course there's sour diesel for lower back pain, and it fucking rocks for pain. Medicinal marijuana, yes yes yes. But there are side effects, and of course sweet mother plants aren't really curing what ails you. She's just masking the pain, she might be more fun than boring ole ibuprofen, but I still think that modern otc pharmaceutical anti-inflammatories are pretty fucking great. Here's an instance -- ibuprofen -- of a drug that actually works (at treating symptoms). Yet "treating symptoms" is sometimes really good because it teaches the brain to stop sending stupid pain signals to areas of the body where no defect exists to cause pain. I'm back to saying pain in the body is often learned response.

And happy birthday! Birthday on 420 makes you one of the cool kids.

Yeah my birthday was yesterday, I definitely vaped a lot of CBD:THC 2:1 mix of a lot of cannabinoids that I got from Colorado my last time there. I went to a concert and the back pain was hardly a problem. CBD:THC is ok for pain but I can't be high all the time lol. 

#34 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

Planks are great, side planks are, too. Consider working on flexibility -- lengthening the backs of legs (hamstrings), the sides of legs (Iliotibial bands) and the fronts of legs (lengthen your quads and psoas). Hips are also areas to focus on. These are often troublesome areas for males in particular -- especially "built" males who've spent time lifting in order to develop specifically valued visible muscle tone.

Also I didn't mean to discourage seeing a sports orthopedist. In Philadelphia you've got some great doctors. If nothing else, you'll gain more information, areas to focus upon, and perhaps physical therapist connections.

And then there's massage and chiropractic, which although I've discouraged chiropractic in comments above, few are the veteran professional performers and athletes who've not at least experimented with a wide range of stuff.
  • like x 1

#35 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

Hmm, what about squat jumps and one legged squats? Like, without weights I mean. I do HIIT and that's part of the routine which focuses on lower body. Here's an example. I need to build leg muscle somehow and regular squat rack style squats were just making things worse so I quit lifting weights altogether in favor of bodyweight calisthenics. This is part of that. I also do "step ups" on a tall stool that they have at the gym for a similar, equivalent workout. I always stretch after a workout, hams, quads, calves, usually while I'm in the sauna.

Edited by Nate-2004, 21 April 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#36 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:45 PM

Oh I found this:

Now I just gotta find a wall in my apartment. They're all blocked by furniture or molding.

Edited by Nate-2004, 21 April 2017 - 05:46 PM.

#37 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:21 PM

Unlike you I'm very tall and heavy. However for me the issue pops up randomly and can last for a day to days to months and then magically seems to disappear. I have yet to make sense out of this lower back pain/ache/lockup. It changes randomly even when I do the same apparent movements each day, even when I don't bend my back.

#38 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:29 PM

Unlike you I'm very tall and heavy. However for me the issue pops up randomly and can last for a day to days to months and then magically seems to disappear. I have yet to make sense out of this lower back pain/ache/lockup. It changes randomly even when I do the same apparent movements each day, even when I don't bend my back.

Yeah I wish I could lock down what it is in particular that I'm doing at these times when it goes away so mysteriously. I usually attribute it to one thing and then it just comes back despite doing that one thing. No idea how to really narrow it down. I'm definitely not going to do crunches anymore. I will just do front planks from now on because historically, whenever I add in side planks I've noticed it comes back. I found that video above and tried it up against my door, it certainly feels better after doing that. I bet I can do it in the sauna. Maybe there's something similar to that hanging by rubber thing that the guys are doing in the other videos, that I can do at my gym. I don't think they have one of those inversion things for whatever reason. I definitely can't buy one right now, no room for it.

Edited by Nate-2004, 21 April 2017 - 07:31 PM.

#39 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:18 PM

So when I try to copy the woman in the legs up wall pose video I noticed my middle to upper back was feeling strained instead. I kept adjusting the support but no such luck. Must be doing something wrong.

#40 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:06 AM

So when I try to copy the woman in the legs up wall pose video I noticed my middle to upper back was feeling strained instead. I kept adjusting the support but no such luck. Must be doing something wrong.

Experiment until you find it comfortable. Generally, the blanket should support the lower back so that your butt would go into the space between the wall and your lower back. You could try more than one blanket. Be attentive to how you fold the blankets -- there's method to this which initially seems silly -- you want the folds even and neat so that when you rest on it your body is evenly situated.

If your hamstrings are tight, try pulling the blanket(s) farther from the wall. Also if you're super-tight, just aim for less than five minutes. The more you practice and do it the more you figure things out and benefit.

You can also try using no blankets, and just the hard floor. And, if your bed is up against a wall, try it in bed.

They teach this stuff in restorative yoga classes with great specificity to alignment that's focused on you. Try a classs, any teacher will be happy to guide you.

#41 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:33 PM

Experiment until you find it comfortable. Generally, the blanket should support the lower back so that your butt would go into the space between the wall and your lower back. You could try more than one blanket. Be attentive to how you fold the blankets -- there's method to this which initially seems silly -- you want the folds even and neat so that when you rest on it your body is evenly situated.

If your hamstrings are tight, try pulling the blanket(s) farther from the wall. Also if you're super-tight, just aim for less than five minutes. The more you practice and do it the more you figure things out and benefit.

You can also try using no blankets, and just the hard floor. And, if your bed is up against a wall, try it in bed.

They teach this stuff in restorative yoga classes with great specificity to alignment that's focused on you. Try a classs, any teacher will be happy to guide you.

Yeah I keep trying multiple ways, multiple thicknesses, multiple types of pads and blankets, I even have a memory foam thing for this very purpose and that doesn't work, I feel tight pain in my mid back when I do this legs up the wall thing. I wish my bed were up against a wall but alas. I will look for classes for that type of Yoga you were talking about earlier. Frustrating. I want this to work because I can feel *why* it would work but I guess I have to wait and pay somebody to help.

#42 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

..I feel tight pain in my mid back when I do this legs up the wall thing. I wish my bed were up against a wall but alas. I will look for classes for that type of Yoga you were talking about earlier. Frustrating. I want this to work because I can feel *why* it would work but I guess I have to wait and pay somebody to help.

Wow you're in luck, you must be living right: in the Philly scene, you've got Joan White, who's been practicing Iyengar yoga since 1968: http://www.joanwhite...m/JoanWhite.htm

Evidently she broke her back horse riding in 1970s, and sustained serious spinal injuries. She suffered from temporary paralysis and slowly began to recover through yoga. Then again, she "had another horseback riding accident, which left her with a broken back, eight broken ribs, a destroyed shoulder and a punctured lung. She has also had to learn how to work with both aging and injuries."

I'd definitely hit her up for some formal training, and if not with Joan herself, then any one of her teachers will have mad skills.

Lucky you! Philadelphia Magazine labeled her the "doyenne of yoga." Just meeting her in person would be pretty cool.
  • Informative x 1

#43 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:39 PM

Nice, she's not far from me, I'm at Logan Square she's just behind the Art Museum.

#44 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:36 AM

You may go both for a horse ride together...:)

#45 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:10 PM

Antibiotics could cure 40% of chronic back pain patients:

http://www.longecity...-pain-patients/

Basically the same bacteria that cause acne are systemic, but do very little until new blood vessels are formed to naturally repair back (and probably other) issues. 
They like this new internal environment of new veins/arteries and proliferate. (Because new veins/arteries are similar to new skin I suppose)
The inflammation they cause sabotages your body's attempt at self repair.
Kill the bacteria and your body will be able to fix its-self/back.

Edited by Logic, 23 April 2017 - 04:18 PM.

#46 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

Nice, she's not far from me, I'm at Logan Square she's just behind the Art Museum.

If you decide to do this, I'd be interested in how it affects you. Be advised that "yoga" might not be what you think it is. You won't find much spandex, svelte showoffs, and cooing pseudo-spirituality in Iyengar. Iyengar himself was a tough, intense man with zero interest in bullshit. The Iyengar method is all about aligning the body, and in this sense it's much closer to physical therapy than it is whoopsie-doo instagram poses. Iyengar attracts broken athletes and dancers for a reason -- it works.

Give it time and patience, and you'll redefine your relationship with your body.
  • Informative x 1

#47 cecowe

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/0446557684

Take a look. Thank me later.
P.S. I don't drink beer.

#48 drgs

• 26 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:30 PM

First find out if its spine- or muscle-related

In my case I have a tight quadratus lumborum (deep muscle inside abdominal wall) from sitting all the time, and esp. sitting with my legs crossed. Sometimes weak glutes and back muscles can be the cause.

Apparently quite common, but no supplements will help you here

#49 DbCooper

• 137 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:20 AM

Low back pain my entire life, even had surgery.  Only thing thats ever worked for me is manually releasing my psoaz and Mobic. 

#50 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:51 PM

So the back pain is getting worse and I really have no idea why. I quit doing crunches days ago.

It's weird, for a whole 2 months the infrared light was really helping in a dramatic way and then it just stopped working. Placebo isn't usually that lasting or effective.

I've been doing the legs up wall pose every day, sometimes twice a day, I figured out the right place for the support.

I've been doing more stretches and poses for the last 2 days like these: 

While I do feel better right after, it comes back fairly quick.

I've been stretching my hams in different ways while in the sauna. Sometimes like this:

Other times like this:

Everybody seems to have their opinion on how to properly stretch that I'm not sure really who to trust.

My appointment wasn't till May 2nd so I am still waiting on the Orthopedic.

I do a lot of jump squats and one legged squats and lunges during my calisthenic exercises for leg mass, I wonder even that is exacerbating the problem.

• Enjoying the show x 2

#51 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:53 PM

manually releasing my psoaz

Releasing your whuuuuuuuuuut?

That sounds super dirty.

and Mobic

Cox inhibitors (NSAIDs) aren't my first go to just because they're so awful for the gut that the trade off in lowered inflammation isn't really worth the damage it does.

Edited by Nate-2004, 27 April 2017 - 09:54 PM.

#52 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:45 PM

I will say again, people who have back pain should try bpc-157. I can't say it will work for you or work for everyone. It probably will not help much with disc or stenosis problems. It seems to work wonders, for me at least with tendon and connective tissue problems. Even if you have a disc  or joint issue, you may also have connective tissue pain. 

My experience was that the day after I took a reasonable dose, my carpal tunnel symptoms went away and have stayed away. Also lower back aches and pain have gone and not returned. I know that is an anecdote but for me its amazing and even if it didn't work for anyone else it works for me. Others have reported good results too. I do not post my source since my report is kind of over the top and sounds like spam, lol. You can order it from many places.

#53 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:04 PM

There is a saying that a doctor's office should have two doors: one for the patient to enter, and the second for the doctor to leave if the patient says he has back pain.

A review of different modalities found Yoga to be more effective than other treatments, including Chiropractic. 

I've had intractable low back pain for many years, since being struck from behind by a panel truck while riding a bicycle. Chiropractic was no help for me. Two things have helped.  One is Vicodin and the other is Tai Chi. Once one learns the form, it aligns the body and improves one's balance, and range and means of locomotion.  It's not for everyone and it takes time.

Nate-  Do you have MRI images?

• like x 1

#54 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:09 AM

Not yet, MRI images are coming next week or week after hopefully.

I will say again, people who have back pain should try bpc-157. I can't say it will work for you or work for everyone. It probably will not help much with disc or stenosis problems. It seems to work wonders, for me at least with tendon and connective tissue problems. Even if you have a disc  or joint issue, you may also have connective tissue pain. 

My experience was that the day after I took a reasonable dose, my carpal tunnel symptoms went away and have stayed away. Also lower back aches and pain have gone and not returned. I know that is an anecdote but for me its amazing and even if it didn't work for anyone else it works for me. Others have reported good results too. I do not post my source since my report is kind of over the top and sounds like spam, lol. You can order it from many places.

I've never actually heard of this until now but I'll look around for it. 

#55 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

Buy a leg raise/pull up platform where you rest you elbows on the cushions while being suspended in the air. It obviously doesn't need to have the pull up platform. But buy it and let your legs dangle and loosen up. It will really stretch out your lower back, it is probably the best way. This is because walking creates suppression and this does the opposite. Sway your legs a little bit to get them loosened up at first and then just let them dangle. 

You could buy some Slow Kratom from Kratom Sensation as well. But only take it when you are home and not doing anything, like before bed or something or when you are just relaxing at home.

Edited by Jiminy Glick, 29 April 2017 - 11:21 AM.

#56 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

You mean hang upside down from a chinup bar?

#57 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:07 PM

I think the right exercises are important for recovering from back problems. Some conditions can be cured by this, or improved. Surgery should be a last resort, doctors often recommend it as a first line of treatment. They make no money if you exercise at home, operations are big bucks. 

Nate, like I said in other posts, no one can guarantee you will be cured or even improved with bpc 157 but all I know is it was a godsend to me. My bad wrist which bothered me every day and forced me to do things with the other hand and use a brace, now no longer gives any problem. That is a genuine miracle in my book. It seemed to happen overnight which is more or less unheard of, unless you mean pain pills. I'm using it more now, have stopped using the brace and it still feels fine. 

My lower back no longer bothers me, I did feel a twinge now and then but its much better. The elbow too gives some twinges, I've been using it more, putting weight on it and so on but its a lot better too and I  only started this wonder substance less than 2 weeks ago. I plan to use the rest of my vial then take 2 weeks off to evaluate and then decide what to do. I keep the spare vials in the freezer, my solution is stored in the fridge.

One other thing I noticed is that I do not wake up in the middle of the night not able to get back to sleep. This used to happen somewhat often, its a little early to say that is fixed but I read a study where it was shown to rejuvenate some gaba receptors. I think it was in the brain health or mental health forum. Its also a bit too soon to assume my back, wrist, etc are cured forever. All I'm sure of is they don't bother me anymore, I dont plan to stress test those areas, just do some exercises and hope to slowly build up without a relapse. So far so good.

#58 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:22 AM

No let your legs dangle as you hold yourself up with your elbows on the cushion that is used for leg lifts. 

#59 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

No let your legs dangle as you hold yourself up with your elbows on the cushion that is used for leg lifts. 

I'm no good with descriptions, I'll try to find a video if there's a name for this thing.

• Enjoying the show x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:29 PM

I'm no good with descriptions, I'll try to find a video if there's a name for this thing.

hqdefault.jpg

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users