Diet Soda tied to increased risk for dementia and stroke

diet soda stroke dementia

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:57 PM

http://stroke.ahajou...EAHA.116.016027

Results—After adjustments for age, sex, education (for analysis of dementia), caloric intake, diet quality, physical activity, and smoking, higher recent and higher cumulative intake of artificially sweetened soft drinks were associated with an increased risk of ischemic stroke, all-cause dementia, and Alzheimer’s disease dementia. When comparing daily cumulative intake to 0 per week (reference), the hazard ratios were 2.96 (95% confidence interval, 1.26–6.97) for ischemic stroke and 2.89 (95% confidence interval, 1.18–7.07) for Alzheimer’s disease. Sugar-sweetened beverages were not associated with stroke or dementia.

Conclusions—Artificially sweetened soft drink consumption was associated with a higher risk of stroke and dementia.

• Informative x 2

#2 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:42 AM

Anybody else think they didn't need a study to know this?

• dislike x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:49 PM

Studies based on the self-reporting of lifetime consumption of a particular food are always questionable, but for me the main problem is that there are a lot of different sweeteners and presumably they have different physiological effects. Looking at the full study on Sci-Hub, the researchers don't seem to have explored this at all.

Also the data for dementia and for the risk of stroke in general aren't really that compelling, but the numbers for ischemic stroke specifically are impressive; almost all P values < 0.01.

• Good Point x 1

#4 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:15 AM

I :)

But I admire the study, because now it is clear as black and white.

#5 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:32 AM

Studies based on the self-reporting of lifetime consumption of a particular food are always questionable, but for me the main problem is that there are a lot of different sweeteners and presumably they have different physiological effects. Looking at the full study on Sci-Hub, the researchers don't seem to have explored this at all.

Also the data for dementia and for the risk of stroke in general aren't really that compelling, but the numbers for ischemic stroke specifically are impressive; almost all P values < 0.01.

In one book about cancer prevention and experimental oncology from the 80's it is written, that

"the new compounds and substances, that invade our life appear so fast, that we" - he probabbly means the experimental oncolgysts - "can't check their biological effect on the human cells not mentioning providing studies for long term usage .. ".

This has been the situation in the 80's :) Now I suppose, that it is worse.

We are being constantly bombarded with new molecules from everywhere - colorers, sweeteners, new compounds for plascics, softeners, desinfection ingredients, cosmetic substances, conservants, whatever you can imagine. And everything this we eat, drink, touch, even breath every day without even knowing that it can cause many negative side effects for the health, including cancer.

That most probabbly is true, and I have seen it in my practice in the form of literary desolved enamel in regular coca cola drinkers.

That is one of the reasons, that I avoid eating american diet :) and mostly cola and hamburgers. I also never go to McDonalds and KFC. Also I try to avoid at some extent artifitail substances, but it is practically impossible.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#6 Diamondz

• 42 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:22 AM

Umm, I remember that Splenda and the other forms promoted cancer.

I'd recommend cane sugar. Apparently there are 1000's of compounds banned in cosmetics, food, and healthcare which are not effective or safe in Europe. Antibiotic use tends to be drastically reduced compared to American standards. It's interesting that most things aren't safe. Never understood why government and industry simply won't or don't use agents with better health profiles.

A friend of mind said that largest pieces of meat  were the smallest in America because they are not permitted to use growth hormone in animals.

• Needs references x 3

#7 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

The largest pieces of meat in America may be the smallest, but this is not because of absence of hormones. In the villages here there are grown chickens completely naturally and even though they were not pushed with hormones and others, their meat is more and tastier than the chickens they sell you out there.

• Off-Topic x 1

#8 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:41 AM

I mean, Alzheimers is Diabetes of the brain (Type 3) and the final stages involve dementia, so it all makes sense to me especially if some artificial sweeteners trigger 'sweet receptors' in the stomach. 

Certain artificial sweeteners also cause oxidative stress. And that's definitely bad, neurologically. 

Edited by TheFountain, 08 May 2017 - 04:41 AM.

• Needs references x 2

#9 mike_nyc

• 46 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

Everyone is pointing to sugar or sweeteners.  How about the fact that these fizzy acidic fluids are stored in an aluminum can where the aluminum could possible leach into the drink.  Same as cooking with aluminum cookware.  

https://www.hippocra...ium-alzheimers/

#10 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

Everyone is pointing to sugar or sweeteners.  How about the fact that these fizzy acidic fluids are stored in an aluminum can where the aluminum could possible leach into the drink.  Same as cooking with aluminum cookware.  

https://www.hippocra...ium-alzheimers/

Don't forget the BPA or indeed any other estrogenic substances released from the inner coating of cans.

#11 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:40 AM

I mean, Alzheimers is Diabetes of the brain (Type 3) and the final stages involve dementia, so it all makes sense to me especially if some artificial sweeteners trigger 'sweet receptors' in the stomach. 

Certain artificial sweeteners also cause oxidative stress. And that's definitely bad, neurologically. 

Interesting idea about the Alzheimers as a diabetes of the brain.

Here is something, that I noticed - in the research the sugar component hasn't been asociated with a higher dementia and Alzheimers risk. If it is the diabetes to be bamed, why sugar is not causing a diabetes Alzheimers, since it is one of the causes of diabetes as general?

I think, that direct toxic effect of the sweeteners on the brain cells has to be researched further.

#12 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:48 PM

why sugar is not causing a diabetes Alzheimers, since it is one of the causes of diabetes as general?

You're assuming that sugar causes diabetes. Can you provide some evidence for that?

#13 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

Yes :) the official medicine :)

Diabetes in the most cases is firstly linked with the poor diet. By poor diet in terms of diabetes is considered a diet leading to high levels of glucose in the blood.

The sugar is rising the glucose levels the most, compared with the sweeteners.

I can cite you my internal medicine book, but I can't show it to you online. But if you find a pdf medical book for diabetes, there you should find the same information about the food and diabetes.

• Agree x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users