sinclair

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bluemoon

• 389 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:54 PM

I pointed this out on the NR thread...

Sinclair told The Washington Post that he was taking 1000 mg of resveratrol a day when he was 45 in 2015 and still had a biological age of 58 according to what he recently revealed in an interview.  Before he began taking 500 mg of NMN, he said his blood work showed that his biological age was that of a 58 year old but after the NMN, it had reversed to 32. 

This looks like the final nail in resveratrol's coffin.

the interview:

http://www.dailymail...ixir-youth.html

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2 Florian E.

• 70 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:53 PM

Mechanisms of Mild Cellular Stress Response

http://www.diss.fu-b...is_000000103466

Maybe Dr. Sinclair has overdone it with the "mild stress" ROS production  :|?

But i think nicotinamide riboside is enough for sirt1 activation (without mild stress).

And also fisetin could be a better sirt1 activator.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 maxwatt

• Member, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

The daily mail is sort of like the National Inquirer.  Still there might sometimes be a grain of truth in some of their articles.  Whatever virtues NMN may have in regards to resveratrol, I have my doubts about this article.

I believe the blood test mentioned in the daily mail was this one reported in Naturehttps://www.nature.c...icles/srep17282

Quoting from the paper: "We found smoking, high BMI and consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages to increase the predicted chronological age by 2–6 years, while consumption of fatty fish, drinking moderate amounts of coffee and exercising reduced the predicted age by approximately the same amount."

So it looks like the test can give a result +/- 2 to 6 years from ones chronological age.  The Mail gave a range for Sinclair of +/-13 years.   I do note that Sinclair's measures are self-reported, perhaps inaccurately.

The Daily Mail article quotes Sinclair as mentioning two substances - both drugs - that may fight aging:  metformin and rapamycin.  Both of which are discussed extensively elsewhere in Longecity's forums.

Edited by maxwatt, 28 April 2017 - 08:11 PM.

• Agree x 1

#4 PAMPAGUY

• 35 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:45 PM

How much NR to equal the 500 mg NAD Sinclair was taking daily?  Sinclair is paying appx $1000 month for the NAD.

Anyone know.

Thanks

#5 bluemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 389 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:09 PM

The daily mail is sort of like the National Inquirer.  Still there might sometimes be a grain of truth in some of their articles.  Whatever virtues NMN may have in regards to resveratrol, I have my doubts about this article.

I believe the blood test mentioned in the daily mail was this one reported in Naturehttps://www.nature.c...icles/srep17282

Quoting from the paper: "We found smoking, high BMI and consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages to increase the predicted chronological age by 2–6 years, while consumption of fatty fish, drinking moderate amounts of coffee and exercising reduced the predicted age by approximately the same amount."

So it looks like the test can give a result +/- 2 to 6 years from ones chronological age.  The Mail gave a range for Sinclair of +/-13 years.   I do note that Sinclair's measures are self-reported, perhaps inaccurately.

The Daily Mail article quotes Sinclair as mentioning two substances - both drugs - that may fight aging:  metformin and rapamycin.  Both of which are discussed extensively elsewhere in Longecity's forums.

There is much more than just a "grain of truth" in that Daily Mail article, which includes several quotes and explanations by Sinclair. We don't know which aging test Sinclair used but "soulprogrammer" posted on the NR Curated thread that it may have been the free site Aging AI 2.0 where one inputs 30 to 40 blood test results to get a "biological age."

After taking NR for quite a while (dose not mentioned), a 62 year old entered his data and got 28 years while a 59 year old got 39 years - but pre NR results not used. The test claims an error of +/- 5 years, and that can depend on how much data you enter.

Maxwatt, I don't see any mention in the Daily Mail article of +/- 13 years for Sinclair's age as you wrote. Sinclair, 47, said his pre NMN biological age was estimated to be 58 and after taking NMN for 3 months had an estimate of 32 years old.  Is Sinclair lying about his estimated biological age as you suggest? It is possible, but I doubt it.

@PAMPAGUY: Notice Sinclair never mentions NR but last I read was taking 1000 mg of resveratrol a day. I don't think anyone knows what effects 500 mg of NR would give compared to 500 mg of NMN.

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Agree x 1

#6 bluemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 389 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

I forgot to add that it is possible Sinclair stopped taking his 1000 mg of resveratrol and any other supplements for a while in order to get an NMN only "before" reading. If so, he should have said that in the interview. 

• Agree x 1

#7 PAMPAGUY

• 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:14 PM

BLUEMOON - I purchase 250 mg NR for $130.00 for 180 capsules.  Even taking 2 capsules a day that is so much cheaper than $1000 month.  I believe Sinclair said he is going to do clinical trials on NMN.  Can't make very much money on NR, so expect to see a drug similar to the rapalogs for rapamycin where you need a RX and they can charge plenty.

Take a look a study 1 at this site and see if you can make sense of the chart of increase in NMN by different dosages of NR.

http://alivebynature.com/about-niagen/

another david sinclair video a month ago about NMN

Edited by PAMPAGUY, 29 April 2017 - 09:23 PM.

#8 bluemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 389 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:34 PM

BLUEMOON - I purchase 250 mg NR for $130.00 for 180 capsules.  Even taking 2 capsules a day that is so much cheaper than $1000 month.  I believe Sinclair said he is going to do clinical trials on NMN.  Can't make very much money on NR, so expect to see a drug similar to the rapalogs for rapamycin where you need a RX and they can charge plenty.

Take a look a study 1 at this site and see if you can make sense of the chart of increase in NMN by different dosages of NR.

http://alivebynature.com/about-niagen/

another david sinclair video a month ago about NMN

Thanks for linking the video. My understanding is that NMN first converts to NR and Sinclair doesn't mention that. Maybe my impression was wrong. Yet if NR proves to be helpful based on the results of the 140 person Chromadex study coming out in a few weeks, why would people take NMN that costs maybe twice as much by the time it goes to market in 2020 to 2023? 

NR researcher Charles Brenner has said resveartrol is worthless and is skeptical that pterostilbine does much, but I doubt he is right about either.

Edited by bluemoon, 29 April 2017 - 09:35 PM.

#9 PAMPAGUY

• 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

NR is a precursor to NAD which converts to NMN.  That is the mechanism as I understand it.

NMN + NR trial in Japan    https://www.nature.c...es/npjamd201621

Also, Basis has NR and pterostilbene.  They believe the two together are synergistic.  So it would be interesting if Sinclair continued on his Resveratrol when he started the NMN.  I'm not aware of anyone who has got the results that his father got from taking the NMN. (76 yo feeling like a 20-30 yo.)

#10 bluemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 389 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:31 PM

So it would be interesting if Sinclair continued on his Resveratrol when he started the NMN.  

We don't know but Sinclair saw the results of his NMN mouse trial in 2013 and told the Washington Post in August 2015 that he was taking 1000 mg of resveratrol a day. 

His recent quote doesn't say one way or another if he stopped the resveratrol for a while to take the "before NMN" test. Sinclair has a way of being unclear and leaving out details about things like this. 

#11 PeaceAndProsperity

• 972 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

I am wondering from a purely scientific perspective, is it possible that David Sinclair told a lie to bolster his financial gains?

#12 maxwatt

• 4,850 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:26 AM

Maxwatt, I don't see any mention in the Daily Mail article of +/- 13 years for Sinclair's age as you wrote. Sinclair, 47, said his pre NMN biological age was estimated to be 58 and after taking NMN for 3 months had an estimate of 32 years old.  Is Sinclair lying about his estimated biological age as you suggest? It is possible, but I doubt it.

You quoted the daily mail as: with resveratrol at age "45 in 2015 and [he] still had a biological age of 58 according to what he recently revealed in an interview.  Before he began taking 500 mg of NMN, he said his blood work showed that his biological age was that of a 58 year old but after the NMN, it had reversed to 32. 

"

I subtracted 45 from 58 to get 13, and 32 from 45 to get 13.  Hence +/- 13.

I know one of Sinclair's former postdoc students.  He might ask for us what Sinclair was using for a test.

In the meantime Rapamycin looks more promising, but I am not ruling out NMN or dasatinib and quercetin, or a host of other molecules as being potentially beneficial. We need more data.

FWIW, for what its worth, I took one of those "age tests" and scored 14 years younger than my birth year.  I'd been taking resveratrol for years.  Tried NR with no noticeable effect.  And this proves nothing. 

Edited by maxwatt, 01 May 2017 - 03:28 AM.

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#13 soulprogrammer

• 129 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

You quoted the daily mail as: with resveratrol at age "45 in 2015 and [he] still had a biological age of 58 according to what he recently revealed in an interview.  Before he began taking 500 mg of NMN, he said his blood work showed that his biological age was that of a 58 year old but after the NMN, it had reversed to 32. 

"

I know one of Sinclair's former postdoc students.  He might ask for us what Sinclair was using for a test.

In the meantime Rapamycin looks more promising, but I am not ruling out NMN or dasatinib and quercetin, or a host of other molecules as being potentially beneficial. We need more data.

FWIW, for what its worth, I took one of those "age tests" and scored 14 years younger than my birth year.  I'd been taking resveratrol for years.  Tried NR with no noticeable effect.  And this proves nothing. 

which "age tests" you took? Can you give the link?

#14 maxwatt

• 4,850 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

Try http://www.aging.ai/

#15 Mind

• Lifetime Member, Moderator, Secretary
  • 15,008 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:40 PM

I apologize for hijackng this thread for a bit. Since people are talking about aging tests, here is a very cheap test for DNA methylation (which is considered a bio-marker of aging): http://www.longecity...ation-analysis/ LongeCity members get a 30% discount, but even without the discount, the cost is cheap. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this measured. It would be neat to see comparisons between the LongeCity crowd.

• Informative x 3

#16 bluemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 389 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

Oh, OK. This sentence confused me: "So it looks like the test can give a result +/- 2 to 6 years from ones chronological age.  The Mail gave a range for Sinclair of +/-13 years." since the first is an error bar.

By the way, did you know that my Uncle Bill just put out an email that Longevinex is announcing a breakthrough study on the effects of resveratrol on the eye early this month? He strongly recommends that we stock up on Longevinex now since he expects it to soon sell out. Don't delay!   

• Enjoying the show x 3

#17 Forever21

• 1,740 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:31 AM

Is my Nad+ good enough?

http://www.lifeexten...ell-Regenerator

What should I buy to join in the game?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 maxwatt

• 4,850 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:57 PM

By the way, did you know that my Uncle Bill just put out an email that Longevinex is announcing a breakthrough study on the effects of resveratrol on the eye early this month? He strongly recommends that we stock up on Longevinex now since he expects it to soon sell out. Don't delay!   

Ha Ha.

Eye am still waiting to see the study.

I would recommend also taking pterostilbene (30 mg) or resveratrol (300mg) if you are taking NR.  and NAD doesn't work, doesn't get into the blood.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sinclair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users