Lowering Acetylcholine

acetylcholine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cal18

• 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:39 AM

I have scoured over many threads about this and yet to have found a definitive answer. Some say piracetams lowers it, other say it makes it higher. Does anyone have any recommendations other than mainstream pharma like cogentin? 

#2 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

Diet.

By cutting out foods containing choline, you of course end up lowering acetylcholine as well. Several of the threads regarding drug-induced "malignant acetylcholine excess syndrom" (or whatever one wants to call it), mention that this seems to be an at least reasonably effective way of lowering it.

However... WHY do you want to lower aCh? aCh is an essential chemical for brain-function - you don't want to lower this unless you actually have reasons to. Have you also been struck with "MAES", or do you simply assume you have excessive choline?

Don't go doing anything rash - make sure you actually have all the data and facts about yourself, that you need in order to make a decision like this.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:19 PM

I assume you're a woman. In case you are it would be dumb to do so, like trying to lower estrogen. Because many of the personality traits caused by estrogen and progesterone are mediated via the acetylcholine neurotransmitter.

I too am sensitive to acetylcholine and I too want to lower it but it seems that lowering it has too detrimental effects to be worth it.

#4 Cal18

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:01 PM

Diet.

By cutting out foods containing choline, you of course end up lowering acetylcholine as well. Several of the threads regarding drug-induced "malignant acetylcholine excess syndrom" (or whatever one wants to call it), mention that this seems to be an at least reasonably effective way of lowering it.

However... WHY do you want to lower aCh? aCh is an essential chemical for brain-function - you don't want to lower this unless you actually have reasons to. Have you also been struck with "MAES", or do you simply assume you have excessive choline?

Don't go doing anything rash - make sure you actually have all the data and facts about yourself, that you need in order to make a decision like this.

You asked why so here goes :)

I have very bad tinnitus due to trying to reinstate a very small dose of celexa after being off it for 9 months (I was not in withdrawal, my my just rejected it). I got akathisia for 3 months from 3 doses. It was horrible and left me with severe tinnitus which I have had for 5 months now. Acetylcholine is thought to be involved in akathisia. I also fit ALL the characteristics of having high acetylcholine which I think has been the case my whole life. I also responded much better to Paxil which is an anticholinergic when I took it several years ago (until it pooped out and I CTd and horrible withdrawals for years). I also react terribly to fish oil (I get very nervous and jittery). I believe I had a few additional theories but everything keeps pointing back to it. 

I think in my case, my overactive acetylcholine levels may be fueling my tinnitus.

#5 Cal18

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:01 PM

Diet.

You asked why so here goes :)

I have very bad tinnitus due to trying to reinstate a very small dose of celexa after being off it for 9 months (I was not in withdrawal, my my just rejected it). I got akathisia for 3 months from 3 doses. It was horrible and left me with severe tinnitus which I have had for 5 months now. Acetylcholine is thought to be involved in akathisia. I also fit ALL the characteristics of having high acetylcholine which I think has been the case my whole life. I also responded much better to Paxil which is an anticholinergic when I took it several years ago (until it pooped out and I CTd and horrible withdrawals for years). I also react terribly to fish oil (I get very nervous and jittery). I believe I had a few additional theories but everything keeps pointing back to it. 

I think in my case, my overactive acetylcholine levels may be fueling my tinnitus.

#6 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:22 PM

Maybe Bupropion (wellbutrin). It has antagonism of some nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, and also is a dopamine-noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor.

I have had some experience in the past where I have used nicotine and got stiff neck, headaches, and whatnot. What did work short-term was Tyrosine, but I can't recommend that because it probably doesn't work for very long, your system will adjust to it. I also have some more minor indication from experience that methylphenidate and d-amphetamine does the same thing, reduces neck stiffness and headaches caused by nicotine, but these stimulants will work in the long term.

Maybe selegiline, it certainly should increase dopamine activity in your brain, and there is some relationship  between dopamine and acetylcholine. If you do that I would suggest low sublingual doses, that way you would avoid some of the stimulating effects of amphetamine metabolites that would be created in your digestive system (which I imagine might possibly cause tinnitus and things like that).

#7 Cal18

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

Maybe Bupropion (wellbutrin). It has antagonism of some nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, and also is a dopamine-noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor.

I have had some experience in the past where I have used nicotine and got stiff neck, headaches, and whatnot. What did work short-term was Tyrosine, but I can't recommend that because it probably doesn't work for very long, your system will adjust to it. I also have some more minor indication from experience that methylphenidate and d-amphetamine does the same thing, reduces neck stiffness and headaches caused by nicotine, but these stimulants will work in the long term.

Maybe selegiline, it certainly should increase dopamine activity in your brain, and there is some relationship  between dopamine and acetylcholine. If you do that I would suggest low sublingual doses, that way you would avoid some of the stimulating effects of amphetamine metabolites that would be created in your digestive system (which I imagine might possibly cause tinnitus and things like that).

Thanks, I can't do any serotogenic antidepressants as the risk of akathisia is too high for me. I also know that my dopamine is on the higher side because I've always been very motivated/hard working and have a rather high sex drive. 

You also mentioned tight shoulders and neck which has been a huge problem for me after going off the paxil several years ago. I believe this also may have to do with acetylcholine 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#8 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:57 PM

Antihistamines like benadryl or cyproheptadine should have some anticholinergic effects.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: acetylcholine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users