Photo

free microbiome testing

microbiome gut microbiota

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

I saw a company offering free microbiome testing and thought I would pass it along.

www.ubiome.com - $89.99 kit is free with code : radiolab3

I do not work for this company.  I am not affiliated with them in anyway.  Nor do I recommend or endorse their products.

Edited by prophets, 06 May 2017 - 06:11 PM.

• like x 3
  • Informative x 1

#2 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

Shipping for Europe is $19.99.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 orion602

• 83 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

Shipping for Europe is $19.99.

shipping of what?

#4 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

Sh.. I meant to say, the test-kit.

• Cheerful x 1

#5 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

Funny results came in:

Body weight bacteria match: Low

Probiotics match: Low

Diversity percentile: 93rd

Wellness match: 96,4%

Basically my bacteria aren't those of a skinny person I've been my whole life; despite eating Sauerkraut, yogurt and raw chess every day my sample contained zero probiotics; and despite having numerous serious health conditions my results greatly overlap with those from individuals who report no ailments and high levels of wellness. smiley-laughing.gif

Nevertheless, once this new testing technology get more accurate in a couple of years, it for sure will become very helpful. Thought would share my results, so others thinking about getting it too, can get an accurate idea of what one actually gets.

The results themselves are terribly scattered under numerous tabs in one's online ubiome account, and nothing comprehensive to print out to discuss with a health professional. For example the whole taxonomy tree is a mind-map, where one has to click each node to read further. Therefore I painfully copy and pasted each bit of info combined into a spreadsheet, which now could also easily be printed out.

Omitted are short pop-up descriptions of all prebiotic and some other bacteria, were I only added those for the 2 main - firmicutes and bacteroides - to the intro tab in my spreadsheet. And a in my case useless time-line function for multiple ubiome results.

Added last year results of a cultured stuhl test, short descriptions for my rare and too abundant bacteria, lists of possibly opportunistic or beneficial bacteria by the gut institute and american gut, and marked those bacteria and predicted metabolic functions most close to mine.

https://docs.google....t#gid=368328141

Any others here willing to share their results?

Edited by pamojja, 22 August 2017 - 08:32 PM.

• Informative x 4
  • like x 1

#6 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:26 PM

Interesting. once i read an article in which a reporter sent 3 samples to 3 different labs and got 3 different results. I'll pass.

#7 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

Interesting. once i read an article in which a reporter sent 3 samples to 3 different labs and got 3 different results. I'll pass.

There are many interesting articles about microbiomes to better understand how it works. One very interesting is this case-studies of 2 guys who tested their microbiome every day for 1 year, with surprising results:

Or that even in a hunter/gatherer community like the Hadza in Tansania seem to have very strong variation between the dry season and the rest of the year. With a more omnivorous diet like in the west, their microbiome seems to become very similar to those of industrialized nations. With the end of the dry season their particular microbiota just reappears: http://science.scien...t/357/6353/802

Or this anecdote of a short 20% increase in diversity: https://theconversation.com/i-spent-three-days-as-a-hunter-gatherer-to-see-if-it-would-improve-my-gut-health-78773

I'll pass.

Of course, for 89,- it might not give the information worth it. Especially considering this:

http://ucsdnews.ucsd...ats-in-your-gut

Big data dump from the world’s largest citizen science microbiome project reveals how factors such as diet, antibiotics and mental health status can influence the microbial and molecular makeup of your gut

Emerging trends
All of the data collected by the American Gut Project are publicly available, without participants’ identifying information. This open access approach allows researchers around the world to mine the data for meaningful associations between factors such as diet, exercise, lifestyle, microbial makeup and health. Here are a few observations that have emerged so far:

Diet. The number of plant types in a person’s diet plays a role in the diversity of his or her gut microbiome—the number of different types of bacteria living there. No matter the diet they prescribed to (vegetarian, vegan, etc.), participants who ate more than 30 different plant types per week (41 people) had gut microbiomes that were more diverse than those who ate 10 or fewer types of plants per week (44 people). The gut samples of these two groups also differed in the types of molecules present.

Antibiotics. The gut microbiomes of American Gut Project participants who reported that they took antibiotics in the past month (139 people) were, as predicted, less diverse than people who reported that they had not taken antibiotics in the last year (117 people). But, paradoxically, people who had taken antibiotics recently had significantly greater diversity in the types of chemicals in their gut samples than those who had not taken antibiotics in the past year.

The participants who ate more than 30 plants per week also had fewer antibiotic resistance genes in their gut microbiomes than people who ate 10 or fewer plants. In other words, the bacteria living in the guts of the plant-lovers had fewer genes that encode the molecular pumps that help the bacteria avoid antibiotics. This study didn’t address why this might be the case, but the researchers think it could be because people who eat fewer plants may instead be eating more meat from antibiotic-treated animals or processed foods with antibiotics added as a preservative, which may favor the survival of antibiotic-resistant bacteria...

One could as well just count every variety of plant foot eaten the last weeks, and could predict one's microbiome diversity.

• Informative x 1

#8 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:14 PM

Body weight bacteria match: Low

Probiotics match: Low

Diversity percentile: 93rd

Wellness match: 96,4%

this test was taken on the 7. July 2017, by now about 11 month later their tested sample numbers have increased, and therefore now the same results give different values:

Diversity percentile: 89th

Wellness match: 96,5%

Though the microbiome diversity sore remained the same at 8.60.

(The Microbiome Diversity Score is calculated by normalizing the inverse form of Simpson's Diversity Index [3] to 10. Scores range from 0 to 10, with 10 being the most diverse – actually representing a theoretical maximum of infinite diversity. Although the distribution of Microbiome Diversity Scores varies depending on the type of sample, gut samples tend to generate a score of between 6 and 9.)

Edited by pamojja, 26 May 2018 - 05:33 PM.

#9 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:12 PM

https://docs.google....t#gid=368328141

Any others here willing to share their results?

Anyone?

Only know of Joe Cohen's on selfhacked.com some time ago said:

As a whole, I was pretty happy with the results. According to Ubiome, my gut sample is more diverse than 74 percent of the population, which is accordance with being fit. But there’s always room for improvement.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:09 PM

They added a few more dit-bids to their intro page of their gut-explorer online interface:

Intro updated (2019):        

Overview:        

95.8 Wellness Match Score (This score represents the overlap between the microbes in your sample and the average microbiome of individuals in our group of Selected Samples. These are samples from individuals who report no ailments and high levels of wellness.) - down from 96.4 from 2 years ago (due to much greater samples size)        

Healthy Weight Microbes:        
0.33x than Selected Samples (Akkermansia muciniphila, Bifidobacterium, Coprococcus, and Roseburia..)        

Unique Microbes:        
10 bacteria in your sample that are found least frequently in our results (Seldom seen bacteria are less likely to have been studied in depth, but the rarity of these specimens does not indicate they are beneficial or harmful.)        
0.9% of Samples: Elusimicrobia - Elusimicrobia - Elusimicrobiales - Elusimicrobiaceae - Elusimicrobium        
1.8% of Samples: Spirochaetes - Spirochaetia        
1.3% of Samples: Fretibacterium        
2.1% of Samples: Sedimentibacter        
2.6% of Samples: Syntrophococcus        

Gluten-Digesting Microbes        
<0.05x than Selected Samples (Enterococcus faecalis, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, and Bacillus licheniformis..)        

Anti-Inflammatory Microbes:        
- Butyrate-producing microbes:        
>2x than Selected Samples (Anaerostipes, Faecalibacterium prausnitzii, Eubacterium, and Roseburia..)        
- Propionate-producing microbes:        
0.28x than Selected Samples (Akkermansia muciniphila, Eubacterium, Roseburia, and Ruminococcus..)        
- Polyamine-producing microbes:        
1.23x than Selected Samples (Bifidobacterium..)        

Lactose-Digesting Microbes:        
0.29x than Lactose Intolerant People (Your sample has a lower abundance of bacteria that may help reduce the symptoms of lactose intolerance than people who identify as lactose intolerant. Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus, Faecalibacterium, and Roseburia..)        

Artificial Sweeteners and Your Microbes        
0.19x  than Artificial Sweeteners Consumers        

Probiotic Microbes:        
0x than Selected Samples (Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium)        
0.24x than Selected Samples (Akkermansia)        

Probiotic Foods Microbes        
0x than yogurt, pickles and sauerkraut consumers        

Microbial Diversity:        
8.60 out of 10 diversity score (Microbial diversity scores can range from 0 to 10, with 10 being the most diverse. Most people have a score between 6 and 9. A score of 10 — maximum diversity — is not common.) 89th precentile - down from 93rd        

Alcohol and Your Microbes (microbes often reduced in people whose alcohol use is damaging their gut barrier):        
0.87x than Selected Samples (0.85x in Alcohol Consumers)        

Alcohol Metabolism (compared your abundance of two groups of bacteria):        
1x of Accumulators (those that turn alcohol into toxic acetaldehyde)        
10x of Decomposers (and those that then break it down: Lactobacillus, Streptococcus, and Bacteroides)        

Sleep Microbes:        
- Serotonin-producing microbes (Streptococcus and Enterococcus):        
0.14x than Selected Samples        
- GABA-producing microbes (Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium):        
<0.05x than Selected Samples        

Vitamin-Producing Microbes:        
- Vitamin K (bacteria which use vitamin K1 to produce vitamin K2):        
3.30% compared to Selected Samples        
Vitamin B9 (folate) producing bacteria:        
31.33% compared to Selected Samples        

Nutrient Metabolism:        
- Complex Carbohydrates metabolizing bacteria (Bacteroides, Roseburia, Butyrivibrio, Ruminococcus, Bifidobacterium, and Prevotella..):     
82% compared to Selected Samples        
- Lipid metabolizing bacteria:        
61% compared to Selected Samples        
- Amino acid metabolizing bacteria:        
38% compared to Selected Samples        

TMA-Producing Microbes (gut microbes that produce trimethylamine (TMA), a chemical that is later converted within the body to trimethylamine N-oxide (TMAO):        
0.53x than Selected Samples        

Your Gut Barrier: PLUS (Buy an Explorer Plus kit to access this story)

Especially interesting they mention the extent of TMAO-producing bacteria now. Though as almost life-long vegetarian me result isn't surprising.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: microbiome, gut, microbiota

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users