Minerals and neurodegeneration (Good/Bad) research thread

magnesium copper

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:13 AM

actually, general japanese population doesnt live that long as people think, its all based on stats on a specific island in japan which has the highest longevity in the world and that is Okinawa. read about it more if you are interested. but to sum it up, in an article it states in bold "okinawins outlive all of the rest of japan" but somehow it fell through the cracks and people assume ALL japanese live long which is false.

• Needs references x 1

#32 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

Declining longevity advantage and low birthweight in Okinawa.

Hokama T1, Binns C.
Author information
Abstract
The prefecture of Okinawa is known for the longevity of its population, for 30 years it had the longest life expectancy of all prefectures in Japan. However this advantage was lost in 2000 and male longevity is now ranked 26th among the 47 prefectures of Japan. The aim of this study was to explore whether the recent decline in Okinawan life expectancy advantage is due to the cohort effect of low birthweight infants becoming middle- and older- aged Okinawans. This is an observational study using existing demographic and health statistics. Data on life expectancy, mortality and low birthweight rates were obtained from the Okinawan Prefectural Department of Health and Welfare and the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. In the year 2000 the longevity advantage of Okinawan males over the Japanese mainland was lost and the relative life expectancy of females declines. The mortality ratio for heart disease has reversed showing a cohort effect, with younger Okinawans having higher death rates than those living in the rest of Japan. The low birthweight rate for Okinawa is 20% greater than mainland Japan. As the post World War cohort of low birthweight infants reaches middle age, the longevity advantage of Okinawans has been lost. The loss of the longevity advantage of Okinawa over the rest of Japan may be due to the increase in non-communicable disease in the post war cohort that has experienced a higher low birthweight rate.
Longevity and diet in Okinawa, Japan: the past, present and future.

Miyagi S1, Iwama N, Kawabata T, Hasegawa K.
Author information
Abstract
Japan has the longest life expectancy at birth (LEB) in the world. Okinawa, Japan's poorest prefecture, previously had the highest longevity indices in the country. However, the latest LEB for men in Okinawa is no higher than the national average. The purpose of this study is to examine why the longevity indices in Okinawa were once the highest in Japan, and to examine the reasons for their recent decline. In 1990, in Okinawa, the age-adjusted death rates (ADR) of the three leading causes of death were lower than their national averages. By 2000, the standard mortality ratios (SMR, Japan=100) of heart disease and cerebrovascular disease for both sexes in Okinawa had increased, compared to their 1990 levels. Both of the ADR of ischemic heart disease and the ADR of cerebrovascular disease for men increased to 45.5 and 63.5 in 2000, up from 42.9 and 59.1 in 1990, respectively, and the SMR of ischemic heart disease for men in Okinawa reached 101 in 2000. Consequently, the national ranking of Okinawa prefecture for LEB of men has dropped. As of 1988, in Okinawa, daily intake of meat and daily intake of pulses were both approximately 90 grams, which is about 20% and 30% higher than the national average, respectively. Also, as of 1988, daily intake of green and yellow vegetables in Okinawa was about 50% higher than the national average. However, by 1998, daily meat intake and fat energy ratio had surpassed 100 grams and 30%, respectively, and daily intake of pulses and green and yellow vegetables had declined to the level of the national average. Recently, young Japanese, particularly young men in Okinawa, have shown a tendency to avoid the traditional dishes of stewed meat and champuru.
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Skyguy2005

• Topic Starter
  • 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:58 PM

Well, the Japanese love chlorella, & they outlive most other modern industrial cultures, so I expect it can't be all bad.  

Anything that contains a boat-load of iron is off my list though, particularly when there are other well established detox/chelation options like curcumin, quercetin & IP6.  

If I was going to try this, I'd check my ferritin before, and every few months after starting this, to see if it destabilized iron stores.  

I think it contains almost 100% of the RDA in iron in a 10g serving (this is a large serving). So it's similar to dark chocolate.

Chlorella 100G: 130mg iron 71mg zinc 4mg manganese, copper appears negligible

Dark Chocolate 100G: 12mg iron 3mg zinc 2mg manganese 2mg copper

Effectively Chlorella has about the same iron, 2x the zinc, <manganese and <<copper if you had 10G chlorella 100G dark chocolate.

Curiously the spirulina has relatively low of all minerals to chlorella, except higher copper (6mg per 100g).

Edited by Skyguy2005, 17 May 2017 - 03:10 PM.

#34 Skyguy2005

• Topic Starter
  • 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

I tried molybdenum on its own today and it actually felt really nice.

I was trying molybdenum on its own because I took Doctor's Best 600mg NAC + molybdenum + selenium for ages and it's great for "pre-tox" against alcohol, quite a nice supplement so I decided to investigate whether the good feeling came from NAC or the minerals. It seems molybdenum is at least partly responsible for its positive effects.

The feeling of molybdenum actually reminded me of tasting freshly filtered water from a charcoal filter. It would be good if molybdenum was doing a similar effect, as water filters are expensive.

#35 Skyguy2005

• Topic Starter
  • 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

actually, general japanese population doesnt live that long as people think, its all based on stats on a specific island in japan which has the highest longevity in the world and that is Okinawa. read about it more if you are interested. but to sum it up, in an article it states in bold "okinawins outlive all of the rest of japan" but somehow it fell through the cracks and people assume ALL japanese live long which is false.

Japan is no.2 if municipalities are included and no.1 if not: https://www.infoplea...cy-countries-0

84 is pretty good. My Grandads both died at 81, grandmas mothers side 90 and unfortunately fathers side 35 (blood clot, although her sister lived to 94 (non smoker) and cousin to 98 (non-driver)). Japan has a high smoking rate among men otherwise it would be higher smoking is so bad.

Edited by Skyguy2005, 19 May 2017 - 07:02 PM.

#36 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:27 AM

well the topic of this thread is neurodegeneration  and specifically minerals role in it, and i dunno how it came to be about longevity but i have to say regarding smoking, not sure how negative it can be on each individual (most data is general assumption its bad for all people involved which is false) but nicotine has so much research in preventing neurodegeneration that you will be shocked. i suggest look into it

#37 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

i have to say regarding smoking, not sure how negative it can be on each individual (most data is general assumption its bad for all people involved which is false) but nicotine has so much research in preventing neurodegeneration that you will be shocked. i suggest look into it

Just came across the risk bubble-chart for the whole EU by ANH, in their aim to educate the public of the incredible small risks of taking supplements:

http://anhinternatio...bs-or-vitamins/

Almost unbelievable.

• like x 1

#38 Omega 3 Snake Oil

• 257 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:17 PM

Wondering if all chlorella is safe? It's been linked to BMAA/cyanobacteria, which is linked to neurodeg. disease. 

Also, I suspect copper toxicity is part of the cause of my neurological problems. I used to drink out of a copper vessel and a few times I carelessly added lemon water to it. Noticed some tarnishing inside after I drank out of it. That was in 2014. Have had neuro problems since 2012 but they got a lot worse starting in 2014-15. 

I've had provoked urine, blood, and hair metals testing. Copper always shows on the low side, same with ceruloplasmin. My hair metals test showed I was low in EVERY trace mineral EXCEPT zinc. This makes me think I may be toxic for inorganic copper, since it can cause deranged mineral transport, thus my being low all around except in zinc. 

EDIT: I've also reacted badly to ionic zinc, and to alpha lipoic acid (taken only once, 50mg). Caused worsening of my neuro/ALS-type symptoms. 

Edited by Omega 3 Snake Oil, 15 October 2017 - 05:19 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Informative x 1

#39 Skyguy2005

• Topic Starter
  • 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:05 PM

Wondering if all chlorella is safe? It's been linked to BMAA/cyanobacteria, which is linked to neurodeg. disease. 

You've got it confused with spirulina, which is a blue green algae - completely different thing. Chlorella don't got no BMAA. Spirulina don't got no mitochondria.

Edited by Skyguy2005, 18 October 2017 - 11:08 PM.

#40 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:54 AM

Old thread but looking in LC for Nickel (having huge amount in last blood works!). Comments on Ni - neuro specifically? Might start a fresh new post on this...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#41 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:32 AM

Did you come across this detox programme already? I don't know if this is useful and if it works for you, but I have heard some positive comments in the past.

https://www.drmyhill...ty_and_detoxing

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnesium, copper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users