Alcohol - my new effective treatment for schizophrenia and depression

schizophrenia alcohol

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#121 mateusbrasil

• 31 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:52 PM

Infelizmente, esta não é uma solução a longo prazo, e o pior de tudo, com a passagem do tempo você terá abstinência, mesmo se você ainda estiver consumindo sua dose habitual, a tendência é que você tenha que aumentar sua dose cada vez mais para para não ter retirada.

O álcool realmente tem esses efeitos que você mencionou principalmente em nós, sendo esquizofrênico, mas a maioria desses sintomas que você experimenta antes do álcool é devido à abstinência,
então os benefícios que você recebe de consumir álcool
são devidos à reversão da retirada.

e NMDA hiperativa, que então alivia os sintomas esquizofrênicos, mas essa é uma má idéia a longo prazo.
Eu não estou pedindo que você pare de beber álcool, estou apenas dando o meu ponto de vista / informação

Me desculpe, perdi essa resposta ... Duvido que a reversão e a abstinência sejam a melhor explicação para os meus hábitos de consumo de álcool porque muitas pessoas não esquizofrênicas e não deprimidas também parecem fazer bem ficando embriagadas diariamente como eu.
No entanto, reconheço que não sou mentalmente saudável, como eles, para manter isso acontecendo no longo prazo ... Mas isso me fez pensar ... onde nós (saudáveis ​​e / ou deprimidos / esquizofrênicos) temos algo em comum? Qual / onde no cérebro (neurotransmissores) o álcool desencadeia / afeta que nos tornamos mais tolerantes / sociais / agradáveis ​​ou quaisquer efeitos positivos que o álcool tenha em nós quais medicamentos (atuais) não conseguem abordar para tratar? Isso é o que eu estou pensando.

(Para mim, pessoalmente, há um "gatilho" após 6-8 cervejas que me faz aproveitar a vida em geral, qualquer empresa e / ou qualquer interação social e estou ansioso para saber por que)

yes m8 believe, besides improving your schizophrenia, alcohol (due to tolerance) is also adding "problems" in you, you confess this when you wrote:"""The reason I'm asking is is because before intoxication I bother myself with the slightest stimulus and I pretty much get depressed/annoyed over the slightest smallest things and this affects my mood/behavior in a big way."""

I also got all those "benefits" of consuming alcohol,
but after I became tolerant to alcohol at the same time my schizophrenia was getting worse, and not only that!
after I created tolerance for alcohol (only 6g per day!) began to emerge mental "problems" in min that I never had before: "have a short fuse" - anything irritated me, anxiety, a depression difficult to alleviate, it was very difficult to catch in sleep, migraine, panic attack ...

you're probably having the same harm from drinking alcohol chronically, but you're not managing to attribute it to alcohol, and maybe you're just adding a "drug aid" to each of those "problems" caused by alcohol.

#122 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:30 PM

the pharmacological effect of alcohol on the brain is extensive, would require a lot of motivation and focus to summarize the most relevant to our condition (schizophrenia).
and m8, with ADHD and schizophrenia in the same brain
I do not think I give account of "a question for the brightest minds".

but since you're a nice person, I'll try to answer you
in a way that does not wear me out too much.

at first the theory that more comprehensively explains the symptoms of schizophrenia is the "glutamatergic theory" - hypofunction of the NMDA receptor (hypo activity), knowing this we can discard all other neurotransmitters that alcohol interacts with, and focus on glutamate !.

the alcohol blocks / antagonizes the NMDA receptor directly and indirectly example: it inhibits the ion chain, by decreasing the excitatory amino acids ... (?)

but NMDA receptor creates an acute and chronic tolerance to this block, even before the alcohol gets out of the blood NMDA receptor activity returns to baseline, and when the alcohol is no longer in your blood, the NMDA receptor now be active as never before, this explains PARTIALLY the benefits you observe from using alcohol since it relieves the hypoactivity of the NMDA receptor caused by schizophrenia.

other effects:

reward effects: alcohol releases dopamine in the nucleus acubens - release of dopamine in the NAc will make you "happy"
regardless of whether you are sick (schizophrenia, depression ...) or not !, that's the main reason everyone feels good about using alcohol, whether it's healthy people or not.

reinforcing effect: include relieving muscle tension / stress, anxiety / restlessness ... any effects of alcohol that are perceived as "positive" by the user is a reinforcing effect.

Thanks for the explanation. So with the consumption of alcohol I'm actually "forcing" my hypo-active NMDA receptors and other dysfunctional receptors to function properly which in turn gives me a feeling of well-being, feeling normal and feeling happy for a few hours a day. You know, I had more issues before I started drinking rather than after all these months of drinking so what I'm doing can be considered self-medicating. You said in an earlier post yourself that even you did not find something as beneficial and/or a substitute for the "rewarding" mechanism/effects of alcohol. It eventually back-fired for you. When I am weighing the pro's and cons of my alcoholism, the pro's, you know, and I'm just being honest, that couple hours of feeling normal, that couple hours each day that I'm able to enjoy life makes my life worth living. The cons, I've gained weight and neglect exercise, that are the only negative things that alcoholism has caused so far. Before that, it is back to this: "I bother myself with the slightest stimulus and I pretty much get depressed/annoyed over the slightest smallest things and this affects my mood/behavior in a big way." and this has been going on for years, day in, day out. If I have to choose between feeling mentally incapacitated for the rest of my life and die at the age of 90 or live and able to enjoy life as an alcoholic and die at the age of 60, I would choose alcoholism.

Anyway, I'm on Parnate now (just 10mg) and will slowly work up my dosage to a therapeutic dose, I hope this will change some things for me mentally, maybe this drug is also able to make me enjoy life without grabbing a bottle.

Randy Marsh mentions gluten free beers as a healthier option. Maybe you want to try that? x)

Haha Randy Marsh and Peter Griffin are my (alcoholic) role-models  :-D

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#123 mateusbrasil

• 31 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:32 PM

the pharmacological effect of alcohol on the brain is extensive, would require a lot of motivation and focus to summarize the most relevant to our condition (schizophrenia).

at first the theory that more comprehensively explains the symptoms of schizophrenia is the "glutamatergic theory" - hypofunction of the NMDA receptor (hypo activity), knowing this we can discard all other neurotransmitters that alcohol interacts with, and focus on glutamate !.

the alcohol blocks / antagonizes the NMDA receptor directly and indirectly example: it inhibits the ion chain, by decreasing the excitatory amino acids ... (?)

but NMDA receptor creates an acute and chronic tolerance to this block, even before the alcohol gets out of the blood NMDA receptor activity returns to baseline, and when the alcohol is no longer in your blood, the NMDA receptor now be active as never before, this explains PARTIALLY the benefits you observe from using alcohol since it relieves the hypoactivity of the NMDA receptor caused by schizophrenia.

other effects:

reward effects: alcohol releases dopamine in the nucleus acubens - release of dopamine in the NAc will make you "happy"
regardless of whether you are sick (schizophrenia, depression ...) or not !, that's the main reason everyone feels good about using alcohol, whether it's healthy people or not.

reinforcing effect: include relieving muscle tension / stress, anxiety / restlessness ... any effects of alcohol that are perceived as "positive" by the user is a reinforcing effect.

Thanks for the explanation. So with the consumption of alcohol I'm actually "forcing" my hypo-active NMDA receptors and other dysfunctional receptors to function properly which in turn gives me a feeling of well-being, feeling normal and feeling happy for a few hours a day. You know, I had more issues before I started drinking rather than after all these months of drinking so what I'm doing can be considered self-medicating. You said in an earlier post yourself that even you did not find something as beneficial and/or a substitute for the "rewarding" mechanism/effects of alcohol. It eventually back-fired for you. When I am weighing the pro's and cons of my alcoholism, the pro's, you know, and I'm just being honest, that couple hours of feeling normal, that couple hours each day that I'm able to enjoy life makes my life worth living. The cons, I've gained weight and neglect exercise, that are the only negative things that alcoholism has caused so far. Before that, it is back to this: "I bother myself with the slightest stimulus and I pretty much get depressed/annoyed over the slightest smallest things and this affects my mood/behavior in a big way." and this has been going on for years, day in, day out. If I have to choose between feeling mentally incapacitated for the rest of my life and die at the age of 90 or live and able to enjoy life as an alcoholic and die at the age of 60, I would choose alcoholism.

Anyway, I'm on Parnate now (just 10mg) and will slowly work up my dosage to a therapeutic dose, I hope this will change some things for me mentally, maybe this drug is also able to make me enjoy life without grabbing a bottle.

Randy Marsh mentions gluten free beers as a healthier option. Maybe you want to try that? x)

there is no way you weigh the "pro's" and "cons", if you have not yet seen the cons (if you can not see it), the pro's and cons are not in parallel with each other.

it makes no difference whether your problems came after or before the use of alcohol if in the long run you will be in a subjective state of "misery": emotional stability, cognition ...

yes I said and I say again the use of alcohol in order to improve my schizophrenia had the best result of everything I've ever used, but I also told you that in the long run
all the improvements I've had have been replaced by a "depressed" feeling, irritability ..., in other words, alcohol is not effective in the long run, it still causes us more problems such as: depression, irritability, cognitive deficit ...
then you will be consuming the alcohol no more to improve your schizophrenia, but yes to not suffer abstinence!.

you are trapped in a vicious circle of illusion, but one day you will realize how "plague" is alcohol for your state of mind / well being, at that time be very careful to avoid harm in the hour of abstinence.

good luck with Parnate treatment :) , and please, be sure to share the positive / negative effects.

#124 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

other effects:

there is no way you weigh the "pro's" and "cons", if you have not yet seen the cons (if you can not see it), the pro's and cons are not in parallel with each other.

it makes no difference whether your problems came after or before the use of alcohol if in the long run you will be in a subjective state of "misery": emotional stability, cognition ...

yes I said and I say again the use of alcohol in order to improve my schizophrenia had the best result of everything I've ever used, but I also told you that in the long run
all the improvements I've had have been replaced by a "depressed" feeling, irritability ..., in other words, alcohol is not effective in the long run, it still causes us more problems such as: depression, irritability, cognitive deficit ...
then you will be consuming the alcohol no more to improve your schizophrenia, but yes to not suffer abstinence!.

you are trapped in a vicious circle of illusion, but one day you will realize how "plague" is alcohol for your state of mind / well being, at that time be very careful to avoid harm in the hour of abstinence.

good luck with Parnate treatment :) , and please, be sure to share the positive / negative effects.

I don't know man.. You and others that are trying to warn me for the long-term effects of alcoholism might be right and on track.. Or, you might be mistaken.. For instance, I am not that "schizophrenic" anymore as I used to be, like I tried to tell earlier in my schizophrenic "life-story": with the current antipsychotic regimen and as long as I am able to outsmart hallucinations I do not and probably will not suffer from positive symptoms like hallucinations. I do however worry about the long-term effects of alcohol has on my depressive symptoms and that's the main reason I want to look for other solutions and break this (possible) vicious/addictive cycle I might have rolled myself into. There's a fine line between depressive and negative symptoms, if I'm able to find a "cure" for that I will probably automatically will cease my drinking.

On a side-note, there was a time where alcohol back-fired on me also and I hated drinking (because of how depressive the withdrawal made me feel), just like it did to you, it did not only caused me to go full-blown psychotic and be committed to the hospital but even in my most stable periods of my illness it caused an increase in especially depressive symptoms, but those were times where I was binge-drinking (only) in the weekend and/or not even weekends, on occasions, when I would go out. The big difference between the past and now is that I (most of the time and aside from my schizophrenia) limit my alcohol intake and do not binge-drink. Most of the time/days that I drink, I "sober" up, go to bed and wake-up refreshed. (The days I do binge-drink, I wake-up with a worsening of my depressive symptoms.)

Thanks m8, I will definitely update on my (guinea pig :dry: ) experience with Parnate!

p.s. I have Asian/Russian roots, doesn't this genetically mean I'm suppose to handle alcohol?!  :unsure:

#125 jaiho

• 521 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:16 AM

It takes awhile for alcohol to have its grip on you. The first couple years i used it to treat depression, way back about 7 years ago, i felt normal and happy. Only a couple drinks for that.

Then eventually i needed a few more drinks, to maintain the same effect. Eventually i switched to wine, and i gradually realised i was drinking almost a bottle a night. then it became 2 bottles.

This process took about 2-3 years. Eventually the Alcohol no longer gave me an afterglow that it always had, instead it made me feel like death upon waking up.

It's a slippery slope. You may think it's helping you now, but i promise you, it isn't a long term solution you want to stay in.

#126 mateusbrasil

• 31 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

"guinea pig" if you prefer to see it that way ... anyway you will be a very useful guinea pig hahaha, just like me in a few days.

"I have Asian / Russian roots, does not this genetically mean I'm suppose to handle alcohol ?!"
this seems more like the "last breath" hahaha

• Cheerful x 1

#127 Deaden

• 232 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:53 PM

My two guinea pigs died when I was 6, Rip will never forget you :'(
  • Cheerful x 1

#128 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:32 PM

It takes awhile for alcohol to have its grip on you. The first couple years i used it to treat depression, way back about 7 years ago, i felt normal and happy. Only a couple drinks for that.

Then eventually i needed a few more drinks, to maintain the same effect. Eventually i switched to wine, and i gradually realised i was drinking almost a bottle a night. then it became 2 bottles.

This process took about 2-3 years. Eventually the Alcohol no longer gave me an afterglow that it always had, instead it made me feel like death upon waking up.

It's a slippery slope. You may think it's helping you now, but i promise you, it isn't a long term solution you want to stay in.

Doesn't chronic alcohol abuse like you did cause permanent damage to neurotransmitters, which is impossible to reverse..? Or is that exaggerated? How did you recover from that period? And the same question I asked Mateusbrasil, did you find something as powerful/effective as alcohol to treat your depression?

Like I said before, I think if I'm able to "cure" the depression I've been in for way too long, I might be able to cease alcohol and use it again like I was used to do, just in the weekends and/or occasions.

"guinea pig" if you prefer to see it that way ... anyway you will be a very useful guinea pig hahaha, just like me in a few days.

"I have Asian / Russian roots, does not this genetically mean I'm suppose to handle alcohol ?!"

Which substance will you be testing?

It's way too soon to draw a conclusion but I already (seem to) feel a really tiny shift in my mood on just the second day of Parnate.. But as I am saying it's too soon to give Parnate all the credit, but how I feel today compared to other days, it made me optimistic (could be coincidence though, might as well just having a good day). Tomorrow I will bump up the dosage to 20mg just to see how I react to it and to test if it affects my (sleep maintenance) insomnia.

#129 mateusbrasil

• 31 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

Doesn't chronic alcohol abuse like you did cause permanent damage to neurotransmitters, which is impossible to reverse..? Or is that exaggerated? How did you recover from that period? And the same question I asked Mateusbrasil, did you find something as powerful/effective as alcohol to treat your depression?

Like I said before, I think if I'm able to "cure" the depression I've been in for way too long, I might be able to cease alcohol and use it again like I was used to do, just in the weekends and/or occasions.

Which substance will you be testing?

It's way too soon to draw a conclusion but I already (seem to) feel a really tiny shift in my mood on just the second day of Parnate.. But as I am saying it's too soon to give Parnate all the credit, but how I feel today compared to other days, it made me optimistic (could be coincidence though, might as well just having a good day). Tomorrow I will bump up the dosage to 20mg just to see how I react to it and to test if it affects my (sleep maintenance) insomnia.

Selegiline, today I went to the neurologist / psychiatrist, but I thought it better not to ask to prescribe two substances that have the exaggerated suspicion of interaction, so I only asked ritalin for my ADHD, the next time I consult I'll get selegiline, or maybe before - a friend told me that he can get selegiline without a prescription.

#130 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

Selegiline, today I went to the neurologist / psychiatrist, but I thought it better not to ask to prescribe two substances that have the exaggerated suspicion of interaction, so I only asked ritalin for my ADHD, the next time I consult I'll get selegiline, or maybe before - a friend told me that he can get selegiline without a prescription.

Ritalin made my mind hyper-active, made me paranoid and amped-up when sober and caused positive symptoms in me, only after one beer (10 years ago or something), never touched it again after. Tried Modafinil also, it made my mind over-active, but I don't have ADHD, was testing it for negative symptoms, it felt like I had 10 cups of coffee without the side-effects of caffeine (anxiety), it didn't help with negative symptoms when sober but it also did not cause paranoia when sober and/or positive symptoms when drinking, it was actually keeping me sober no matter how much I drank. Good luck with Ritalin though, I don't mean to discourage you with my experience on Ritalin, over at schizophrenia.com there are tons of people whom can tolerate and find benefit from it's strong dopaminergic effect.

Selegiline is a quite interesting drug, though, I probably never would be able to get a prescription for it since it is not a registered drug for depression in the Netherlands. But that doesn't make it a unattractive drug, please share your experience with Selegiline with me/us.

#131 mateusbrasil

• 31 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:15 PM

Ritalin made my mind hyper-active, made me paranoid and amped-up when sober and caused positive symptoms in me, only after one beer (10 years ago or something), never touched it again after. Tried Modafinil also, it made my mind over-active, but I don't have ADHD, was testing it for negative symptoms, it felt like I had 10 cups of coffee without the side-effects of caffeine (anxiety), it didn't help with negative symptoms when sober but it also did not cause paranoia when sober and/or positive symptoms when drinking, it was actually keeping me sober no matter how much I drank. Good luck with Ritalin though, I don't mean to discourage you with my experience on Ritalin, over at schizophrenia.com there are tons of people whom can tolerate and find benefit from it's strong dopaminergic effect.

Selegiline is a quite interesting drug, though, I probably never would be able to get a prescription for it since it is not a registered drug for depression in the Netherlands. But that doesn't make it a unattractive drug, please share your experience with Selegiline with me/us.

thanks for the alert / experience.

Yes, ritalin is a highly psychogenic drug, but because of ADHD I have low dopamine levels in the striatum, so I tolerate increased dopamine in this area (striatum) more than someone with "pure" schizophrenia, and also the psychogenic effect of ritalin is dose dependent, in addition ritalin has a higher affinity for NET vs. DAT (2 to 4 times) then if necessary I will use a low dose - which is 99.99% risk free, I also have one more letter "up my sleeve" that is to cut caffeine (highly psychotogenic) and this will soften the "jolt "of ritalin.

I also do not have much choice, the treatments for the negative symptoms of schizophrenia generally have a "modest" efficacy, if ADHD gets me "pulling" down, the chances of me finding a treatment that is significant to min, will be very low.

yes, when I try on selegiline I will share my experience.

#132 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:12 PM

My order of Gabapentin came in yesterday. Tried it immediately yesterday and today.. It's the real deal.

Anyway, wanted to ask your guys opinion about Topiramate? What do you guys think, will I benefit it from it in any way? I've only tried 25mg's a couple of times on days that I didn't drink and was quite positive about it. Sometimes, before I ever used Topiramate, it felt like I was about to have a seizure (rebound effect of alcohol). And once, when I was 3 days straight on it and drank alcohol I couldn't get drunk (it's in trials as a potent anti-alcohol med).

However, I don't need this drug to quit alcohol (my alcoholism adventure was a fun ride but I'm ceasing my alcohol intake to only the weekends or maybe quit, haven't decided yet). I was wondering if Topi can have positive effects on some of my symptoms? Or, is taking Gabapentin and Topiramate (since they both are actually anti-seizure meds) to much?

My med regimen:
40mg Latuda
2.5mg Zyprexa
20mg Parnate
15mg Mirtazapine
1/1.5mg Clonazepam
...mg Gabapentin (need to find the correct dose yet)

#133 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:48 PM

Ashwagandha and sipping wine, now that's a nice synergistic combination. I'm trying to switch more towards using Kava for similar purposes as alcohol, and occasional Phenibut.

#134 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:57 PM

Ashwagandha and sipping wine, now that's a nice synergistic combination. I'm trying to switch more towards using Kava for similar purposes as alcohol, and occasional Phenibut.

Would that combination have a similar effect as alcohol?

It's just my second week being off alcohol mid-weeks and my second week on Gabapentin. The first week Gabapentin was working, giving me a smooth "euphoria", made me talkative and increased my motivation a little. This week it just makes me tired and besides from taking Gabapentin, my negatives are back! The "empty" feeling is back, and I don't want to socialize anymore (better said am unable to socialize), I'm very quickly irritable, can't tolerate any incentives, can't enjoy the things I'm doing and my mood is rather depressed again (without the suicide ideation though).

This sucks, I'm 100% sure this is not alcohol-withdrawal, I'm just back to the "old" me.

#135 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:05 PM

See if you can ge the same effect with less alcohol. Certain kind of alcohol helps me too, but i keep it moderate. keep to less than 4 drinks or beer.

#136 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

See if you can ge the same effect with less alcohol. Certain kind of alcohol helps me too, but i keep it moderate. keep to less than 4 drinks or beer.

I cut back from 7 to 3 days of drinking. I haven't found anything as effective and useful against negative symptoms and against my sleeping disorder as alcohol.

I'm still waiting for Cariprazine to hit the EU market (it should be anytime soon). Maybe that'll make a difference.

#137 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:15 PM

Hey! What'sup? I just looked a little bit into how kappa antagonists can be used to treat ALCOHOLISM - and what you're describing certainly sounds like that... It turns out that Alcohol modulates the activity out of the kappa receptor network! : O

Role of the Dynorphin/Kappa Opioid Receptor System in the *Motivational* Effects of Ethanol.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4233910/

And since I myself have used a kappa receptor antagonist, which I found increased motivation to an extent, then perhaps you could do so to? OR... perhaps the usage of a kappa agonist could be beneficial as well...?

If I recall correctly, there's a naturally occurring compound, the opposite of capsaicin, causes the feeling of cold, which is both a kappa receptor agonist and a nAch-7-antagonist! :D Could this be something good??

Now, just gotta' dig this stuff up from the recesses of my foggy mind...

EDIT:

Another reason I feel there's reason to look into this, is of course the fact that Kappa-agonists have been known to cause PSYCHOSIS! Which is a natural state for you, so there's definitively something going on there...

EDIT2:

AH-HAAAH!!

I KNEW it!

MENTHOL is the name of the game! Check it out, man:

Menthol Binding and Inhibition of α7-Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors

http://journals.plos...al.pone.0067674

EDIT3:

My head was completely in the clouds. I now recall how nAch-7-AGONISM is believed to be beneficial to Schizophrenics. Damn. Menthol could be really dangerous for you, man! Probably best you stay away from it... even though there are signs indicating that it causes kappa-downregulation when used in small dosages - in essence causing antagonism instead of agonism - but the nach-7-effects cannot be good for schizophrenics.

Still, there are interesting signs pointing towards the involvement of kappa receptors in Schizophrenia - here's actually a proof-of-concept in rodents where schizophrenic symptoms were induced chemically through an NMDA-antagonist, and how kappa antagonism helped to lessen the effects from that nmda-antagonist.

Effect of GNTI, a kappa opioid receptor antagonist, on MK-801-induced hyperlocomotion and stereotypy in mice.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/17049114

So, if your current trial fails, then perhaps this could be your NEXT step in search of treatment? CERC-501 trial, anyone?! :D

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 21 April 2018 - 08:44 PM.

#138 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:23 PM

keep it moderate. keep to less than 4 drinks

lmfaooo, no doubt owing in full to our handy-dandy measuring spoon

but to be real ive got some $10 bottles of red wine over here collecting dust, maybe i just need to open them up a bit more often, maybe thats my problem. Low doses of alcohol definitely has interesting effects where it matters, everything from sugar metabolism in the frontal lobes, to androstanediol formation in the pituitary.  A good example,

The First Alcohol Drink Triggers mTORC1-Dependent Synaptic Plasticity in Nucleus Accumbens Dopamine D1 Receptor Neurons

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4719011/

#139 YOLF

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:34 AM

I'm not sure if this was the topic that lead me to this connection and I don't have time to read it, but here's something I learned that might help for those who find alcohol to be beneficial for cognitive function:

Tartaric Acid it's $15 for 5 pounds, used in the manufacture of wine and other alcohols, and also good for weight loss. TA is also an alpha hydroxy acid that is capable of ECM remodelling, which can improve the function of failing cells. If taken with something that can enhance stem cell proliferation or proliferation and differentiation, you could see some nice synergistic benefits, especially if you can upregulate your neurosteroid cascade at the same time. You could also take supplements to upregulate FGFs and/or klotho to further improve or delimit the benefits of the AHAs. AHAs all share some common characteristics and their benefits on skin are fairly well characterized, but experimenting with a combination or looking at how levels of the other AHAs in your diet affect your condition could indicate which ones are most important for your condition as each is likely to have a different spectrum of affinity when taken orally.

Please share links to this post in other topics where you think it could help others. No time at present to do it myself.

The topic this is intended for involved someone who saw temporary health improvements after drinking alcohol.

#140 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:41 AM

I'm not sure if this was the topic that lead me to this connection and I don't have time to read it, but here's something I learned that might help for those who find alcohol to be beneficial for cognitive function:

Tartaric Acid it's $15 for 5 pounds, used in the manufacture of wine and other alcohols, and also good for weight loss. TA is also an alpha hydroxy acid that is capable of ECM remodelling, which can improve the function of failing cells. If taken with something that can enhance stem cell proliferation or proliferation and differentiation, you could see some nice synergistic benefits, especially if you can upregulate your neurosteroid cascade at the same time. You could also take supplements to upregulate FGFs and/or klotho to further improve or delimit the benefits of the AHAs. AHAs all share some common characteristics and their benefits on skin are fairly well characterized, but experimenting with a combination or looking at how levels of the other AHAs in your diet affect your condition could indicate which ones are most important for your condition as each is likely to have a different spectrum of affinity when taken orally.

Please share links to this post in other topics where you think it could help others. No time at present to do it myself.

The topic this is intended for involved someone who saw temporary health improvements after drinking alcohol.

No, this is the topic where I ramble that alcohol helps against my symptoms. But I know which thread you meant to post this, I will pass this message on to the right place. :)

Edited by YoungSchizo, 28 June 2018 - 10:42 AM.

#141 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:42 AM

I think I will keep it by alcohol in the weekends. My monday's are my depression day's and I'm okay with it.

#142 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 03:30 AM

If I look back on some of my old posts in this thread, I stay wholeheartedly behind my experiences/findings. 

The thing that scratches my mind however, beside that I lost 18KG with cardio and diet in 12 weeks is that I'm starting to seek rewarding behaviors again with alcohol even though I'm happy in general. 

For example, I'm in a long distance relationship and even though it's healthy when I'm talking or without my girl my reward system starts to work and I benefit from it fully but as soon as emotional stress without her hits it almost completely shuts off and I start to seek other rewarding (alcohol) behaviors. Even sports isn't enough anymore, to be honest, it's rather depressing than relieving this past period.

Is it love or alcoholism that causes this fluctuation in my emotional behavior, or both? (I remember a study pointing out that addiction and love affects the same behavioral system) 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#143 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:41 PM

Is it love or alcoholism that causes this fluctuation in my emotional behavior, or both? (I remember a study pointing out that addiction and love affects the same behavioral system) 

Probably a bit of both. Alcohol can make boring life more interesting with its fluctuations.

Alcohol as a treatment? Yeah, the rabbit hole of "therapeutic" use of recreational drugs. I'd say using alcohol as a tool to get you out of comfort zone to do socializing in your early adulthood is something I wouldn't frown upon. I definitely had some fun times during a time period, no regrets there. Drinking heavily and alone back in 2016, now that wasn't such a good decision. But it's in the past now.

Would definitely like to enjoy a beer with many LongeCity members!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: schizophrenia, alcohol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users