halflife adderall doses

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheBatman

• 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

I've been prescribed adderall IR.

I'm a bit confused on how to dose it without causing insomnia or feeling like an emotional roller coaster during the day.

I had an idea that starting with a regular dose (10mg) and then adding 2 smaller doses (4mg) spaced 3 hours apart would have a more consistent effect than taking 10 mg twice a day. With a 10-15 hour half life on adderall, the amount of adderall in my system would have to be greater than 10 mg after the second dose, making the therapeutic effect feel inconsistent.

The question is whether or not a single dose of adderall has its own separate half life from later doses of adderall, or if the doses combine and share the same half life. If the half life's are separate then I should be able to maintain a constant dose most of the day without having too much in my body by night time.

My goal is to have as little adderall possible in my system at the end of the day, why still getting enough therapeutic benefit to remain productive.

Edited by TheBatman, 28 May 2017 - 11:38 AM.

#2 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

what are you, a math professor?  if you take a dose every half life, the amount in your system at any given point will always been between half and double that dose.  it will steady state between 1x and 2x.

first half life:

A -> A/2 (where A = 10mg)

add one dose, decay half

3A/2 -> 3A/4

etc

7A/4 -> 7A/8

15A/8 -> 15A/16

31A/16 -> 31A/32...

if you take just a continuous iv drip, whatever many micrograms per second, you get the "convolution".. it's a bit like asking how does a nuclear waste site decay, when you add fresh waste to site at regular intervals

let the dose D= A e^-k + A e^-2k + A e^-3k + ... = A * Sum [e ^-(n*k), {n, 1, infinity}]

plugged it into mathematica, and we have D = A /(-1+e^k)

just replace e with 2, and k with 3/10 (interval over half life)

what you find is what nuclear waste disposal experts found, a steadier, lower dose.  instead of bouncing between A and 2A [10 and 20mg], you're now centered around A * root(2) [14.4mg].

10*Sum[2^-n, {n, 1, \[Infinity]}] = 10
5*Sum [2^(-.5*n), {n, 1, \[Infinity]}] = 12.0711
2.5*Sum[2^(-.25*n), {n, 1, \[Infinity]}] = 13.213
0.01*Sum[2^(-0.001*n), {n, 1, \[Infinity]}] =  14.433   ~ 10*Sqrt[2]

might cause more tolerance issues to have that much adderall always in your system as opposed to taking it when you really need it, and getting that boost up to 20mg

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:33 AM

what are you, a math professor?  if you take a dose every half life, the amount in your system at any given point will always been between half and double that dose.  it will steady state between 1x and 2x.

first half life:

A -> A/2 (where A = 10mg)

add one dose, decay half

3A/2 -> 3A/4

etc

7A/4 -> 7A/8

15A/8 -> 15A/16

31A/16 -> 31A/32...

if you take just a continuous iv drip, whatever many micrograms per second, you get the "convolution".. it's a bit like asking how does a nuclear waste site decay, when you add fresh waste to site at regular intervals

let the dose D= A e^-k + A e^-2k + A e^-3k + ... = A * Sum [e ^-(n*k), {n, 1, infinity}]

plugged it into mathematica, and we have D = A /(-1+e^k)

just replace e with 2, and k with 3/10 (interval over half life)

what you find is what nuclear waste disposal experts found, a steadier, lower dose.  instead of bouncing between A and 2A [10 and 20mg], you're now centered around A * root(2) [14.4mg].

10*Sum[2^-n, {n, 1, \[Infinity]}] = 10
5*Sum [2^(-.5*n), {n, 1, \[Infinity]}] = 12.0711
2.5*Sum[2^(-.25*n), {n, 1, \[Infinity]}] = 13.213
0.01*Sum[2^(-0.001*n), {n, 1, \[Infinity]}] =  14.433   ~ 10*Sqrt[2]

might cause more tolerance issues to have that much adderall always in your system as opposed to taking it when you really need it, and getting that boost up to 20mg

Huh? I didn't say I wanted to redose when the initial dose goes through a half life, I simply just wanted to take smaller doses than the initial dose (every 3 or so hours) to keep the total amount of adderall in my system around 10mg total.

I am aware that taking another 10 mg at the end of 1 half life would be about 15 mg in my system, that's not what I intended

Edited by TheBatman, 29 May 2017 - 03:37 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: halflife, adderall, doses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users