• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Astaxanthin As A Viable Sunscreen Replacement (Or One Man's Journey Into The Sun)

astaxanthin uv protection singlet oxygen quenching photoprotection sunscreen experiment erythema sunburn antioxidant supplement

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan Collins

• 21 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

Introduction

It must have been around 2012 that Mehmet and Mercola conspired to sell vast quantities of Astaxanthin, a carotenoid whose potency had been touted as vastly superior to other antioxidants. Six-thousand times the strength of this, and 1000 times more effective than that, this certainly wasn’t your father’s supplement. Though research had been performed on algal extract containing Astaxanthin for years prior, Oz and his cohort wanted something new to promote, so, using the former’s show as a platform, these entrepreneurial minds birthed the Astaxanthin craze…one of the most successful campaigns since, well, milk.

Alright, maybe I got a little carried away, but no one can deny the skyrocketing prices of Astaxanthin following Oz’s episode, or the supplement industry’s renewed support for the carotenoid (and its seemingly endless benefits). I’ll admit, I fell victim to this beautiful marketing scheme. It was hard not to when most accessible resources (except studies – which I did not read at the time) were basically regurgitating the claims of the Wizard and his Merc (I really don’t hate them). In spite of the other benefits Astaxanthin was hailed for, there was one that truly inspired me to give it a try: UV protection.

The Claims

No matter which recess of the internet I visited, there was always tell of AX’s wondrous ability to ‘offer protection from the sun’ or ‘prevent UV damage’. These vagaries varied from site to site, and were downplayed among AX’s other benefits without much explanation. I wondered what the copywriter-salesmen meant, and if there was any hard evidence to support their claims.

This, of course, took place many Google algorithms ago, and once semantic search really kicked in I came to discover many communities that paved the way for further investigation. While I don’t believe there is a lack of discussion surrounding this specific topic today (Astaxanthin as an effective sunscreen), there does not seem to be any official consensus, outside of anecdotal claims, that UV protection occurs to a substantial degree. And just to clarify, ‘substantial degree’ to my Scotch-Irish skin means at least 30 SPF.

Inspiration

Despite the lack of conclusive evidence surrounding AX’s ability to thwart sun damage, there have been a number of studies that serve as inspiration for what I plan to attempt (more on that in a minute). Most of these are abstracts, though I hope to find an affordable solution for obtaining full texts in the future. I’m certain there are many more studies indicating favorable results, and would be grateful to any kind soul willing to point me in the right direction. I’ve taken what I found to be the most hope-filled quotes from each:

Astaxanthin, canthaxanthin and β-carotene differently affect UVA-induced oxidative damage and expression of oxidative stress-responsive enzymes

“The data indicate that the oxo-carotenoid AX has a superior preventive effect towards photo-oxidative changes in cell culture.”

Nishida Y et al. 2007. Quenching activities of common hydrophilic and lipophilic antioxidants against singlet oxygen using chemiluminescence detection systemCarotenoid Science11(6), pp.16-20.

“Overall, astaxanthin exhibited the most potent singlet oxygen quenching activity among the compounds tested in this study because it showed a stable superior property under the three different conditions.”

Astaxanthin attenuates the UVA-induced up-regulation of matrix-metalloproteinase-1 and skin fibroblast elastase in human dermal fibroblasts

“We hypothesize that AX would have a significant benefit on protecting against UVA-induced skin photo-aging such as sagging and wrinkles.”

Modulatory effects of an algal extract containing astaxanthin on UVA-irradiated cells in culture.

“In 1BR-3 cells, synthetic astaxanthin prevented UVA-induced DNA damage at all concentrations (10 nM, 100 nM, 10 microM) tested.”

Lingering Questions

Even in the midst of these findings, I still felt somewhat underwhelmed. I mean, if it is possible to use AX as a sunscreen replacement, some specifics need to be addressed, such as:

What should the dosage be?

How long do you need to supplement with AX to see protective benefits?

What SPF level will this provide?

Will it block UVB, UVA, or both?

How long will the protective benefits last?

What form is most absorbable (root powder, pill, etc.)?

Is one particular brand superior to all others?

Will it prevent vitamin D synthesis?

Will it provide protection to the eyes (since it crosses the blood-retinal barrier)?

Does it actually prevent photodamage, or just fix photodamage after the fact?

Potential Benefits

If all (or even most) of the above are satisfied, the benefits relevant to me (and perhaps you), would be:

A lack of need for oily, synthetic chemicals from sunscreen

Protection from UVA/UVB photodamage, and resultant lack of erythema, wrinkles, etc.

Vitamin D synthesis

Eye protection

The Experiment, And Intent

After living in my skin for a number of years, I’ve observed that it enjoys being pale, translucent, away from the sun, and supplemented with copious amounts of vitamin D. It has a tendency to burn more than tan, which has resulted in some freckling and mole development over the years. If the above benefits are in fact real, there should be no question as to why I would be in favor of using AX to protect my fragile exo-organ.

Based on the aforementioned studies and sheer anecdotal accounts from numerous communities, I have decided to test whether AX can provide broad spectrum protection from photodamage while exposed to a Texas UV index during an appreciable part of the day in June. To lessen the blow of a potentially destructive experience, my sister - who works in a director capacity at a waterpark - has offered free admission for a few days…so at least there’s that.

Background and Conditions

As previously stated, I am white. At this time, I am also 31 years old. For the past few months I have been supplementing with Radiant Life’s Astaxanthin (non-Krill) formula, which also includes a small amount of vitamin E, and is derived from Haematococcus Pluvialis algae. In the past I have also supplemented with Radiant Life’s Krill Plus 12 product, as well as Captain’s Krill Oil. It has been argued that AX is absorbed wonderfully with fats containing a phospholipid backbone. While I’m sure there is truth to that claim, I switched from the previous products due to uncertainties about the long-term inflammatory effects of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, and more specifically polyunsaturated fats in general. I currently take Radiant Life’s 12mg capsule with a glass of whole milk.

Additionally, I am currently taking the following supplements once daily:

Vitamin D – Central Market (cholecalciferol from wool oil), 5000 IU

Vitamin E – LEF Gamma E Mixed Tocopherols

Vitamin C NutriGold Organic Whole-Food Vitamin C Gold

OptiZinc – Source Naturals OptiZinc (30mg zinc monomethionine)

I’m not aware of substantial photoprotective benefits from  any of these, mainly because I take each for reasons other than UV protection. If anyone knows that they do, I’d appreciate your input so I may pull them from the repertoire when testing.

No need to pretend my diet is anything to write home about, so bluntly:

Raisen Bran

Whole Milk

Chicken

Steak

Pickled Okra

Various Fruit

Fiji water (1 L/day)

Ice Cream (1-2 days/week)

Dark Chocolate (70% +) (1-2 days/week)

A1 Sauce (for the steak/chicken)

Pizza (Domino’s and Central Market frozen) (0-1 days/week)

Fast food burgers (1-2 days/week)

Dr. Pepper (1-3 glasses/week)

Izze Drinks

Cheese (Kraft String Cheese)

All servings are 1/day unless otherwise specified. Come to think of it, my distrust of the nutrition obtained from my regular diet probably informs my supplementation quite a bit. I may be pulling the pizza prior to testing, because whatever you say about Domino’s, there may be photoprotective benefits coming from the canned tomato paste (lycopene).

I do enjoy exercise, though:

Resistance training 3x/week, (3x5: squats, standing calf raises, bench press, weighted pull ups, dumbbell curls, weighted dips, 3x8: shrugs, lateral/front raises, 3x30: abdominal crunches, 1x30: weighted oblique raises)

Cardiovascular (5 days/week) – Attempting HIIT on a treadmill, so 10 sprints at 10 speed, 2% incline maximum

Walking (4-5 days week) – As in of dogs. A few miles.

Sleeping is a large requirement, and I may have my thyroid checked in the future:

9+ hours required to feel fully rested

I live in Austin, but will perform the experiment in Corpus Christi, TX. I will need to update on the predicted UV index, as I’m not yet sure what day this will occur.

Though I now feel as if you know more about my daily routine than most people, I realize I may have left out some bit of pertinent information. If so, please let me know and I will do my best to fill in the blanks. My hope here is to provide a comprehensive accounting for what happens next, with the intent of shedding some light (sorry) on the extent to which AX is effective. Speaking of, I should mention the other supplements purported to prevent photodamage that I will not be testing this time around:

Polypodium Leucotomos

Lycopene

Tiron

Pycnogenol

IP6 (Inositol Hexaphosphate)

Para-Aminobenzoic Acid

If this garners even a speck of interest, I will follow up with any visible effects on the skin (burn, tan, peel, etc.) and provide before and after photos. These are pretty much the only anecdotal results I can offer up, unless anyone knows of a more sophisticated way to test the before and after state of the skin. Also, if there are any other conditions that should be modified for a more accurate result, I’m all ears. Thanks for reading!

• like x 2
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#2 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

Only have my anecdotal experience.

8 years ago was diagnosed a PAD due to a 80% blockage at my abdominal aorta, which resulted in a 60% walking disability. After seeing that conventional had almost nothing against, or only risky surgery, I changed my diet and started with Linus Pauling's therapy. From only 3-400 meter pain-free walking-distance I improved to 1 hr in 1 year, 2 the 2nd, in the 3rd regressing 1/2 hour again due to a chronic bronchitis that whole year. My supplement regime by that time had already quite extended and contained all vitamins, most minerals, amino-acids, plant extracts, carotenes and xanthophylls, like astaxanthin. To get rid of the bronchitis I went for 3 months to the sea-air on a South-Indian beach. Worked so well, along with including many Ayurvedic remedies since then, I went to the same beach each January for 6 weeks all the following years. 2 years ago my walking disability ceased completely and had been revoked since.

But what you probably are most interested in: 3 years after starting supplementing always in the middle of winter with the whitest possible skin I always went to the beach for 2x 2 hours each day for sunbathing and swimming (before 12 AM and after 3 PM, the sun just too hot in the middle of the day in South-India) and never had a sunburn. Without any suncream. While before supplementing I did get sunburns too.

However, I don't believe astaxanthin alone did this in my case, but comprehensive supplementation.

Edited by pamojja, 08 June 2017 - 01:55 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ryan Collins

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:27 AM

Thanks for the info, and congrats on your recovery!

Of everything you took, which supplements do you suspect contributed most to your burn resistance?

Also, do you recall the AX brand you took during that period? I might be looking at more affordable alternatives in the future.

#4 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:18 AM

There is a supplement: heliocare that it is sort of based on this idea. It is an extract of the fern polypodium leucotomos. At least one study shows real UV protection https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15583582:

BACKGROUND:

UV radiation induces damage to human skin. Protection of skin by an oral photoprotective agent would have substantial benefits. Objective We investigated the photoprotective effect of oral administration of an extract of the natural antioxidant Polypodium leucotomos (PL).

METHODS:

A total of 9 healthy participants of skin types II to III were exposed to varying doses of artificial UV radiation without and after oral administration of PL (7.5 mg/kg). At 24 hours after exposure the erythema reaction was assessed and paired biopsy specimens were obtained from PL-treated and untreated skin.

RESULTS:

A significant decrease in erythema was found in PL-treated skin (P < .01). Histologically, PL-treated biopsy specimens showed less sunburn cells (P < .05), cyclobutane pyrimidine dimers (P < .001), proliferating epidermal cells (P < .001), and dermal mast cell infiltration (P < .05). A trend toward Langerhans cell preservation was seen.

CONCLUSION:

Oral administration of PL is an effective systemic chemophotoprotective agent leading to significant protection of skin against UV radiation.

https://en.wikipedia...yrimidine_dimer

Edited by Ben, 09 June 2017 - 04:23 AM.

#5 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:33 AM

Of everything you took, which supplements do you suspect contributed most to your burn resistance?
Also, do you recall the AX brand you took during that period? I might be looking at more affordable alternatives in the future.

Don't remember which brand I took 8 years ago. Recent years I've been taking a mix of LEF's and Healthy Origins astaxanthin. At the time of my first South-Indian trip 3 years after starting supplementing I've been for example on 5 mg of astaxanthin, 11 mg of lycopene and 60 mg of generic pine-bark extract in average every day (from those you mentioned having this effect). Too difficult to guess the most contributing, since I took everything :|?, therefore rather suggest synergies of that whole as most contributing.

#6 Ryan Collins

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:37 AM

There is a supplement: heliocare that it is sort of based on this idea. It is an extract of the fern polypodium leucotomos. At least one study shows real UV protection https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15583582

Thanks for this; keeping it handy for when I start on PL.

Too difficult to guess the most contributing, since I took everything :|?, therefore rather suggest synergies of that whole as most contributing.

I hope to build an arsenal, but am trying to determine the heavy hitters for now. Lycopene for sure...the first I've heard of pine-bark extract!

#7 Ryan Collins

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:02 AM

A few updates:

I'll be going to the waterpark this weekend. According to weather.com, the UV index will be 'extreme' on Saturday. The UV Index Scale description (epa.gov) for this level (11 or higher) practically says to stay inside, so if there were ever a day to push it with 12mg AX, this would be it.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've been off AX for about 3 days while waiting for the next bottle to arrive (expected tomorrow). Not sure if I should double up for a day to compensate...

#8 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:39 AM

You might be interested in this thread:

http://www.longecity...idative-stress/

There's some evidence UV releases iron from ferritin in skin, and this can contribute to oxidative stress.

https://link.springe...1164-010-0155-0

Your natural iron chelators are: IP6 (inisitol hexaphosphate), Curcumin, and Quercetin.  

As I mention in the first link, I used to dose IP6 at night, but when I started dosing in the morning I noticed I no longer burned (or tanned significantly) from my Vitamin-D sun baths.  Most of the above mentioned chelators are short lived, so load up on them with breakfast/brunch just before the sun gets high in the sky.  

I'm interested in hearing how this turns out for you.  

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#9 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

Too difficult to guess the most contributing, since I took everything :|?, therefore rather suggest synergies of that whole as most contributing.

http://lpi.oregonsta...ease-prevention

Skin Cancer

Niacin deficiency can lead to severe sunlight sensitivity in exposed skin. Given the implication of NAD-dependent enzymes in DNA repair, there has been some interest in the effect of niacin on skin health. In vitro and animal experiments have helped gather information, but human data on niacin/NAD status and skin cancer are severely limited. One study reported that niacin supplementation decreased the risk of ultraviolet light (UV)-induced skin cancers in mice, despite the fact that mice convert tryptophan to NAD more efficiently than rats and humans and thus do not get severely deficient (43). Hyper-proliferation and impaired differentiation of skin cells can alter the integrity of the skin barrier and increase the occurrence of pre-malignant and malignant skin conditions. A protective effect of niacin was suggested by topical application of myristyl nicotinate, a niacin derivative, which successfully increased the expression of epidermal differentiation markers in subjects with photodamaged skin (44). The activation of the "niacin receptors," GPR109A and GPR109B, by pharmacologic doses of niacin could be involved in improving skin barrier function. Conversely, differentiation defects in skin cancer cells were linked to the abnormal cellular localization of defective "niacin receptors" (45). Nicotinamide restriction with subsequent depletion of cellular NAD was shown to increase oxidative stress-induced DNA damage in a precancerous skin cell model, implying a protective role of NAD-dependent pathways in cancer (46). Altered NAD availability also affects sirtuin expression and activity in UV-exposed human skin cells. Along with PARPs, NAD-consuming sirtuins could play an important role in the cellular response to photodamage and skin homeostasis (47).

#10 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:49 AM

this about iron playing role in sunburn is the most interesting thing i have heard of as of yet. so in theory if you lower your iron content within your blood, perhaps sunburns wont be as severe or problematic long term even if they do occur naturally? this is interesting thing to keep in mind

whats the take on astaxanthin and iron?

does coffee bind to iron? i noticed i never get sunburns when on the coffee. then i read this; http://www.standard....s-a3506671.html so it might just be the caffeine? but does it work against iron??

Edited by hazy, 15 June 2017 - 12:54 AM.

#11 Ryan Collins

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:31 AM

You might be interested in this thread:

http://www.longecity...idative-stress/

IP6 to the rescue, indeed! Your story was one of the first to start me down this path. I take it you're still using the Jarrow formula? Might have to bump this to the top of the list for the next trial. Wish I could say I would miss my bronze tan, but it's so rare for me that there's nothing to lose on that front. Curcumin was on my list for different reasons, so time will tell.

Admittedly, this is also where I plucked the Nishida study from...specifically from user Darryl. I believe he favors Lycopene (could be wrong), but the number of studies he provided on carotenoids leaves me some hope I won't turn out a lobster.

#12 Ryan Collins

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:05 AM

http://lpi.oregonsta...ease-prevention

Skin Cancer

Niacin deficiency can lead to severe sunlight sensitivity in exposed skin. Given the implication of NAD-dependent enzymes in DNA repair, there has been some interest in the effect of niacin on skin health. In vitro and animal experiments have helped gather information, but human data on niacin/NAD status and skin cancer are severely limited. One study reported that niacin supplementation decreased the risk of ultraviolet light (UV)-induced skin cancers in mice, despite the fact that mice convert tryptophan to NAD more efficiently than rats and humans and thus do not get severely deficient (43). Hyper-proliferation and impaired differentiation of skin cells can alter the integrity of the skin barrier and increase the occurrence of pre-malignant and malignant skin conditions. A protective effect of niacin was suggested by topical application of myristyl nicotinate, a niacin derivative, which successfully increased the expression of epidermal differentiation markers in subjects with photodamaged skin (44). The activation of the "niacin receptors," GPR109A and GPR109B, by pharmacologic doses of niacin could be involved in improving skin barrier function. Conversely, differentiation defects in skin cancer cells were linked to the abnormal cellular localization of defective "niacin receptors" (45). Nicotinamide restriction with subsequent depletion of cellular NAD was shown to increase oxidative stress-induced DNA damage in a precancerous skin cell model, implying a protective role of NAD-dependent pathways in cancer (46). Altered NAD availability also affects sirtuin expression and activity in UV-exposed human skin cells. Along with PARPs, NAD-consuming sirtuins could play an important role in the cellular response to photodamage and skin homeostasis (47).

It's been a while since I've taken any B vitamins, but will be looking into it after establishing my fat soluble base. As an aside I had a Spectracell test a few years back, and it appeared most of the Bs were on the low side, though not deficient. Do you suppose a B complex could supply these benefits, or just a B3?

#13 Ryan Collins

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:31 AM

Just to stay consistent:

The AX came in yesterday afternoon, and I took one around 6:00 pm, then one this morning. I was off it for a total of 3 days. This should conclude any lapses before testing. I will also be mowing the lawn tomorrow in the late afternoon-evening sun. I've not used sunscreen since supplementing with AX while mowing (always near the evening) without sunburn, but this will be the first real "hot" day (in the low 90s around 6:00pm).

For the anecdotal aspect, I'm thinking about taking pictures of various parts of the skin every 30 minutes to track any visible changes. Prior to this, I'll take pictures of the same areas in my hotel room to maintain a consistent lighting for accuracy.

#14 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:51 AM

Here's a couple of rants on dermal iron and UV damage.  They are not well referenced, but there are some in there (links in the text) if you look for them. 

http://roguehealthan...diated-by-iron/

http://roguehealthan...-wrinkled-skin/

I've got this guy (Mangan)'s book "Dumping Iron", & it's a very concise and well written introduction into ferrotoxic disease.  You can read some of it here free (click on "Look Inside")

https://www.amazon.c...k/dp/B01CIZMFXO

An interesting paper here (from one of the links) indicating topical chelators may be helpful?  

http://onlinelibrary....tb02009.x/full

Edited by Dorian Grey, 15 June 2017 - 03:03 AM.

#15 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

It's been a while since I've taken any B vitamins, but will be looking into it after establishing my fat soluble base. As an aside I had a Spectracell test a few years back, and it appeared most of the Bs were on the low side, though not deficient. Do you suppose a B complex could supply these benefits, or just a B3?

I supplement 3 g/d of B3. Since all Bs are intricately interwoven in their metabolism, I wouldn't do that without adequate amounts of all B vitamins. Honestly, my long experience with Orthomolecular supplementation makes me believe, that no nutrient works better than in synergy with all others.

Just came a toxocology study in mice (can't find it now), which reported UV protection with high dose ascorbic acid too.

Edited by pamojja, 15 June 2017 - 12:46 PM.

#16 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

this is all interesting information thanks for this, but i cant help and complain about this thread being started as astaxanthin being tried as sunscreen replacement and so far so many posts in the thread, there is not a single try to show it might be good for this indication. maybe the thread starter can finally do something and stop going off topic :)

#17 Ryan Collins

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

this is all interesting information thanks for this, but i cant help and complain about this thread being started as astaxanthin being tried as sunscreen replacement and so far so many posts in the thread, there is not a single try to show it might be good for this indication. maybe the thread starter can finally do something and stop going off topic :)

I apologize if the title seems misleading.

My intent for this thread is to share my anecdotal experience with AX as a sunscreen (to be tested this coming weekend), based on the aforementioned studies - which (to me anyway) indicate there are possible UV protective benefits:

Astaxanthin, canthaxanthin and β-carotene differently affect UVA-induced oxidative damage and expression of oxidative stress-responsive enzymes

“The data indicate that the oxo-carotenoid AX has a superior preventive effect towards photo-oxidative changes in cell culture.”

Nishida Y et al. 2007. Quenching activities of common hydrophilic and lipophilic antioxidants against singlet oxygen using chemiluminescence detection systemCarotenoid Science11(6), pp.16-20.

“Overall, astaxanthin exhibited the most potent singlet oxygen quenching activity among the compounds tested in this study because it showed a stable superior property under the three different conditions.”

Astaxanthin attenuates the UVA-induced up-regulation of matrix-metalloproteinase-1 and skin fibroblast elastase in human dermal fibroblasts

“We hypothesize that AX would have a significant benefit on protecting against UVA-induced skin photo-aging such as sagging and wrinkles.”

Modulatory effects of an algal extract containing astaxanthin on UVA-irradiated cells in culture.

“In 1BR-3 cells, synthetic astaxanthin prevented UVA-induced DNA damage at all concentrations (10 nM, 100 nM, 10 microM) tested.”

The degree to which AX protects the skin (SPF #, sunburn/tan prevention, etc.), however, is the question I'm attempting to answer. Hopefully the results will be more informative than the conjecture thus far, though I would argue that pamojja's experience is one account where AX may have contributed. I do agree that the information I've gleaned thus far from everyone else has already made posting here a worthwhile endeavor!

#18 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

Synergy again:

Protective effect against sunburn of combined systemic ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and d-alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E).

#19 Ryan Collins

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:16 AM

Here's a couple of rants on dermal iron and UV damage.  They are not well referenced, but there are some in there (links in the text) if you look for them. 

http://roguehealthan...diated-by-iron/

http://roguehealthan...-wrinkled-skin/

I've got this guy (Mangan)'s book "Dumping Iron", & it's a very concise and well written introduction into ferrotoxic disease.  You can read some of it here free (click on "Look Inside")

https://www.amazon.c...k/dp/B01CIZMFXO

An interesting paper here (from one of the links) indicating topical chelators may be helpful?  

http://onlinelibrary....tb02009.x/full

Good read! I'll have to check out the whole book. A few years back I was convinced I was iron deficient and foolishly supplemented without having my stored ferritin checked. I had so much energy the first day, but only the first day (out of one month). Glad I didn't return to it, and hope the effects have worn off with regard to potential damage.

#20 Ryan Collins

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:23 AM

Hmm...by this token I probably should have taken AX in complete isolation. Tomorrow's results, if positive, will be somewhat of an unknown...either synergy, AX alone, or any of the other vitamins (whether alone or in synergy). Tricky to pin things down in this business.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#21 Ryan Collins

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:02 AM

I apologize for the latency. The notes I took on June 18th (the day after testing) were deleted from my machine, and I had to re-scour the internet for historical weather data in order to present my findings with the same accuracy. On top of this hiccup, a recent consulting stint has been taking up unusually large portions of time. Again, sorry, and I hope this information will benefit anyone looking for a sunscreen supplement in the future.

Conditions

The mean temperature on June 17th lingered around 91°, and the UV Index remained a constant 10 at the time of UV exposure. In total, I spent 2.5 hours in the sun without sunscreen. After this point, I put on a shirt and applied copious amounts of 100 spf every 30 minutes. Thirty minutes prior to exposure (10:30 am), I took 1x12mg of Astaxanthin.

Summary

In addition to AX, I also took the same regimen of vitamins specified in my original post, along with a Whataburger breakfast platter. At around 10:30 am, I took "before" photos of my skin, and headed into the park. Subsequent to this, I took photos of the same areas every 30 minutes. Around 1:00 pm, while taking a break for lunch, some of my family members began to comment on my developing shade of red. Upon returning to the bathroom for what seemed the 10th time (but more like the 5th), I could see that the top of my shoulders seemed to have taken the brunt of the damage. Further, I was quite disappointed that sunburn had occurred at all, due to the rampant claims of AX's "protective UV properties". 'Maybe for rats,' I thought to myself. It was at this point I threw on a shirt and doused my epidermis in sunscreen to limit further destruction. As the day progressed my burn became more apparent (see attached images), and eventually peaked around dinnertime.

Conclusions

For me, consuming 12mg of Radiant Life brand AX, along with the aforementioned regimen of vitamins, prior to 2.5 hours of UV exposure (in a UV Index of 10) resulted in sunburn, and therefore UV photodamage. 

Peeling also occurred, which tells me that my body did not consider the affected skin cells salvageable (and potentially cancerous), and therefore rid itself of them. Prior to this I wasn't sure if AX perhaps performed substantial repair to cells post-damage, to a degree where peeling might not be necessary. Again, maybe in rodents. Please correct me if I'm wrong about peeling as a protective mechanism of the body.

As an added bonus, the following week I experienced random bouts of severe itching sensations - a condition known to a small portion of sunburn victims as "Hell's Itch". I'll never forget running around the grocery store aisles like an addict, applying any and all brands of anti-itch creams, or the horror I felt as they only fueled the condition. It was only after reading some blessed blogger's advice about the combination of A&D ointment and Peppermint oil extract that I was able to smite the torture in a Walgreens parking lot. I must have looked like a convulsive lunatic, standing there rubbing myself as the cars passed by.

Continued Research

Call me crazy, but I don't feel testing in this way is conducive to good skin health. As I've never peeled this much since childhood, or ever experienced Hell's Itch, I can't say I'd be prone to retest in this exact fashion. Perhaps limiting exposure in combination with different supplements (iron chelators, for instance) would be safer...I will just have to consider the costs/benefits. In the meantime, I'll be on the lookout for a sunscreen with the fewest unnatural chemicals, and strongest protective offering.

Remaining Questions

Taking a pill once per day still resulted in sunburn, and therefore photodamage. There is a false precept surrounding AX - namely that it can act as an internal sunscreen - with sensational claims failing to answer any of the questions listed in my first post. For me, this test answered the following to my satisfaction:

What SPF level will this provide?

Not sure exactly, but not enough for protective benefits under the specified conditions.

Will it block UVB, UVA, or both?

In my case, neither. I tanned somewhat after the burn, but I like to think of this as a scar.

How long will the protective benefits last?

Possibly for a period of time under 2.5 hours.

Does it actually prevent photodamage, or just fix photodamage after the fact?

Sunburn and peeling both occurred in my case, so neither under these conditions.

It is unknown whether AX contributed to the healing process at all, as I have continued to finish out the bottle post-burn. I did not notice a particular speed in recovery, and am still peeling today. Though the rest of the questions remain a mystery, I'm not entirely distraught since my original goal of photodamage protection did not occur anyway. Perhaps this will provide others enough information to attempt further testing (shorter exposure times, higher dosage, etc) if they desire, though I wouldn't encourage repeating under the same conditions.

If there is anything I haven't addressed here, please let me know and I'll attempt to fill in the blanks. Until my next supplement experiment, thanks for all of the advice and encouragement so far, and the best of luck in your longevital endeavors!

Attached Files

#22 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:20 AM

so you took all these just prior to one day exposure to severe sun and expected good results? wouldnt have been wise to take this regularly for a month before doing this? if anything, getting sunburn and peeling might be bad, but dont you think that maybe the things you took protected you from DNA damage long term, not just prevent the sudden noticeable damage which occurred on that day?  i mean maybe if you never took these things and you got this sun damage, long term you wont recover unlike now perhaps which it will probably prevent further deterioration down the road, quite speculatively speaking.

anyway, all i know is this, i got sunburn with various vitamins and herbs before, maybe they saved me long term damage down the road, not sure, but the one thing that always kept me sunburn free is coffee and green tea. i would suggest strongly to try this with them if you ever try this again in the future

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#23 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

Conclusions

For me, consuming 12mg of Radiant Life brand AX, along with the aforementioned regimen of vitamins, prior to 2.5 hours of UV exposure (in a UV Index of 10) resulted in sunburn, and therefore UV photodamage.

Excuse me for being that blunt, but what a stupid experiment. :|o

What I accomplished with years of supplementing every vitamin under the sun, most minerals and phytonutrients, you wanted to accomplish with 1 magic pill? :wacko:

Only have my anecdotal experience..

But what you probably are most interested in: 3 years after starting supplementing always in the middle of winter with the whitest possible skin I always went to the beach for 2x 2 hours each day for sunbathing and swimming (before 12 AM and after 3 PM, the sun just too hot in the middle of the day in South-India) and never had a sunburn. Without any suncream. While before supplementing I did get sunburns too.

However, I don't believe astaxanthin alone did this in my case, but comprehensive supplementation.

Edited by pamojja, 03 July 2017 - 01:09 PM.

• Agree x 2

#24 Ryan Collins

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:40 PM

What I accomplished with years of supplementing every vitamin under the sun, most minerals and phytonutrients, you wanted to accomplish with 1 magic pill? :wacko:

I'll admit, you weren't the model I was using when crafting this test, though I have been supplementing with AX for over 1 year. Given the claims behind AX in isolation, this is the supplement I intended to test.

As mentioned in my first post, the inspiration for this test was derived from the studies I posted. And no, I did not have "magic pill" syndrome; to the contrary, I proceeded with skepticism. Had this been the case, I would have continued on without sunscreen after the earliest signs of burn.

Excuse me for being that blunt, but what a stupid experiment. :|o

Thanks, sweetheart. It's easy to forget how sarcasm doesn't quite translate online. When I said I was 'quite disappointed', it was tongue in cheek.

I'm curious though, and I mean this in earnest, how you would have attempted an experiment of this sort, including data presentation to the community. Though I don't intend to approach any future tests in the same manner, any constructive advice you can provide is helpful to craft something more effective and useful.

#25 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

I'm curious though, and I mean this in earnest, how you would have attempted an experiment of this sort, including data presentation to the community. Though I don't intend to approach any future tests in the same manner, any constructive advice you can provide is helpful to craft something more effective and useful.

In my opinion you made the mistake in almost replicating what big pharma does and most often fails in: place all bets in one isolated natural compound (and once effects get confirmed, try to make a synthetic variation which could be patented and monetized).

While in nature everything works in concert and one isolated 'active' ingredient never counts for truly healing effects. Just think microbiome, a multitude which governs much.

To you want to prove there is one magic ingredient? Or do you personally want to find a way to avoid sunburn, without suncream?

By 'accident' I found the second. Don't think you easily can have it both, including data presentation of isolated compounds to the community. Like in my case, there are just too many confounding variables to ever sort this out.

You could, however, slowly add and increase all nutrients known to give UV protection, without ever allowing yourself to get sunburned again. And then present it when you have found dosage ranges of all ingredients in synergy, once it does give you complete protection from sunburns.

Too much efforts, and no magic pill, I know..

#26 Ryan Collins

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:42 PM

so you took all these just prior to one day exposure to severe sun and expected good results? wouldnt have been wise to take this regularly for a month before doing this?

Prior to exposure, I had supplemented with AX for a little over 1 year.

if anything, getting sunburn and peeling might be bad, but dont you think that maybe the things you took protected you from DNA damage long term, not just prevent the sudden noticeable damage which occurred on that day?  i mean maybe if you never took these things and you got this sun damage, long term you wont recover unlike now perhaps which it will probably prevent further deterioration down the road, quite speculatively speaking.

anyway, all i know is this, i got sunburn with various vitamins and herbs before, maybe they saved me long term damage down the road, not sure, but the one thing that always kept me sunburn free is coffee and green tea. i would suggest strongly to try this with them if you ever try this again in the future

It's quite possible, and I'm hoping this is the case.

I've heard of both of these with regard to UV protection. How long would you say your exposure time is, on average?

#27 Ryan Collins

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:39 PM

To you want to prove there is one magic ingredient? Or do you personally want to find a way to avoid sunburn, without suncream?

By 'accident' I found the second. Don't think you easily can have it both, including data presentation of isolated compounds to the community. Like in my case, there are just too many confounding variables to ever sort this out.

You could, however, slowly add and increase all nutrients known to give UV protection, without ever allowing yourself to get sunburned again. And then present it when you have found dosage ranges of all ingredients in synergy, once it does give you complete protection from sunburns.

Too much efforts, and no magic pill, I know..

Overall the latter, but I'm also curious about the degree to which each provides protection. In the case of AX (and the hype surrounding it), there is a lack of information about the UV benefits (they literally say 'UV benefits' on many sites and bottles), which was another motivator for this test. I'm satisfied in knowing AX's ability under these (somewhat extreme) conditions, and, as hazy points out, perhaps it is doing something on the back end.
Thanks for the suggestion...this seems a reasonable course moving forward.

There is another question, of course, about the markers for skin damage. Are burning and tanning the only indicators, or is there something more accurate for measurement?

#28 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:34 PM

I think a major sun protection has been overlooked in the talk about ax and other supplements. Sure they are good and will help but I noticed Polypodium leucotomos was mentioned so I looked it up. The literature on this is very encouraging as well as anecdotal reports from the public. Safety and effectiveness was found in this study https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4345929/ as well as others. Do a search for yourself. The nice thing is you can take a cap or two a day and get the protection without having to put it on all exposed skin and reapply often. Sunscreen is still recommended, ax, vit e, and other things too are good but this seems to have been overlooked so far in the discussion. I plan to order some. It also is said to have immune support and anti cancer effects. I saw a bunch of reviews on amazon which were positive.

#29 spacetime

• 191 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:21 PM

I've ran AX as high 16mg ED for 6 months and it acts as a spf 4-6 sunscreen would. Fairly useless but it's main benefit seems to be reduction on inflammation. I've since cut back to 4mg ED and it seems to offer very little protection. Again it help reduce the inflammation/redness but does seemingly little to prevent a sunburn.  The UV index here will be as high as 11-12 but I'd only exercise outdoors in the morning or afternoon when the index was 5-6. IME I wouldn't recommend it in lieu of a sunscreen but rather to augment one or to help mitigate damage from sun exposure. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:38 AM

emitecaps, i read its main benefits are related to inflammation and exercise boost, but also eye health. do you notice anything relation to eye health??

Edited by hazy, 15 July 2017 - 02:38 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astaxanthin, uv protection, singlet oxygen quenching, photoprotection, sunscreen, experiment, erythema, sunburn, antioxidant, supplement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users