vitamin c brain nootropic adrenal

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#31 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:14 PM

@Galaxyshock - I recommend you just take regular ascorbic acid vitamin c. It works wonders and makes it so much easier to to get the benefits of vitamin C. I will however note I did try drinking a lot of lemon water i.e. freshly squeezed lemons + water over several days, and got the noticeable nitric oxide boosting effect which I usually get from Vitamin C supplementation; but I wasn't observing my brain health then, and got pretty sick of lemon water after awhile, but I'm sure you can get a lot of Vitamin C this way if you don't want to take supplements.

Vitamin C Appetite Suppressant?

It's funny. I recently created a thread on nicotine and it's appetite suppressing effects. It worked, however nicotine was too much of a stimulant, and would cause undesirable effects such as insomnia, vasoconstriction, emotional stress, nausea and tolerance.

With Vitamin C, as you can see in this thread in post #19 (on June 2017) I wrote:

6. Vitamin C has reduced my appetite (but not cravings). I believe it does this by making me a lot more bloated and gassy.

Then I found my old log of my lemon water drinking experiment (posted 2 years 3 months ago), which is posted on a different private forum on the Internet, here are some relevant quotes from it:

Now it hasn't done much for my allergies. But amazingly it has really helped suppress my appetite. And when I say suppress my appetite, it has literally made me have no desire for eating food, I literally don't feel hungry at all throughout the day. Note though, I have completely replaced drinking water with lemon water. It's weird because it kind of makes you feel full in a bloated way, but you don't feel overly bloated. I thought the bloating and appetite suppression might be fructose malabsorption (which I slightly suffer with), but lemon has hardly any fructose in it.

Apparently it has appetite suppressing effects. But I never pay attention to those things anymore, as there are so many foods with "appetite suppressing effects" which really don't make much of a difference at all.

I've tried peppermint tea before in the past too. But I can't drink much of that without feeling nauseous.

On a related note. I told my mother about it, and she said she watched a show on the telly about this obese guy testing all different appetite suppressants foods to help him lose weight, and the conclusion at the end, was he found peppermint and lemon teas worked the best to suppress his appetite regularly.

It seems I was originally trying lemon water for my crippling allergies at the time (which I finally solved with zinc supplementation). But what's interesting is I experienced a strong appetite suppressant effect with lemon water, which made me "full in a bloated way"! This was in Oct 2015!

So I experienced an appetite suppressing effect with my lemon water experiment (Oct 2015), & with my megadosing Vitamin C experiment (June 2017), and attribute a bloated feeling to the appetite suppressing effect both times! 

Hmm we might be onto a winner here folks, we can only hope...

Also according to this guys site: http://fatburningman...n-c-diy-health/

He claims:

There’s a study published regarding smokers that quit smoking using Vitamin C spray—the amazing thing was that they didn’t turn to food to replace their craving and didn’t gain weight!

Unfortunately he links to his own youtube video (which I cba to watch) and not the actual study, but I assume there is a study on this somewhere. 

Also on the Vitamin C foundation forum here: http://vitaminc.foun...pic.php?p=28122

Someone claims their appetite is less since taking vitamin c, and a responder to the post claims they lost 20lbs using vitamin c. Also there is a study on that thread about delayed insulin response due to vitamin c ingestion.

Also another person claiming Vitamin C suppressed their appetite: https://forum.bodybu...php?t=134634251

So there's a lot of anecdotal reports (including my own, twice), and I know I haven't provided much research for this angle. But me just finding out last year the importance of Vitamin C in the brain (let alone it's importance in the rest of the body); there are probably many mechanisms in which it could work to lower/suppress one's appetite.

If liposomal Vitamin C can in fact allow me to absorb megadoses of vitamin C without the diarrhea side effect, and I experience many of the effects I've previously observed with megadosing vitamin C. Well it will just be damn awesome wouldn't it?

I.e. 

High Energy levels but can still fall asleep at night quickly (post #20)

Mental/Visual Clarity & Brain Energy

Appetite Suppressing Effect

A Healthiness akin to taking up regular exercise like jogging (post #18)

Well lets just say I'm very excited to start this experiment, I really hope liposomal is all it's cracked up to be.

Anyway enough written, time to go to bed now. 

Edited by manny, 04 February 2018 - 10:20 PM.

#32 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:29 AM

I think I should give Vitamin C a try since I suffer from afternoon fatigue and brain fog despite taking bunch of adaptogens etc. Don't flavonoids like Quercetin work very synergistically with vitamin C? Maybe adding a food with naturally high vitamin C concentrations along with the phytonutrients like Camu Camu is better than synthetic pills?

I used to take quercetin and vitamin c together, it will knock your socks off. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Galaxyshock

• 1,467 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

Alright I'll buy a bottle of cheap ascorbic acid pills to see if it helps. Vitamin C is also good for collagen and synergistic with joint supplements such as Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM which I take. Supposably it also increases efficacy of medicinal mushrooms like Reishi and Cordyceps. So yeah, plenty of reasons to supplement with vitamin C for me.

#34 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

Alright I'll buy a bottle of cheap ascorbic acid pills to see if it helps. Vitamin C is also good for collagen and synergistic with joint supplements such as Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM which I take. Supposably it also increases efficacy of medicinal mushrooms like Reishi and Cordyceps. So yeah, plenty of reasons to supplement with vitamin C for me.

Why don't you just buy from bulk supplements and get the powder? Most likely your pills will have magnesium stearate in them anyway. 

#35 Galaxyshock

• 1,467 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:15 PM

Why don't you just buy from bulk supplements and get the powder? Most likely your pills will have magnesium stearate in them anyway. 

It costs like 15$ shipping. I'll try a small bottle of 500mg pills from grocery store or something to see if I find it beneficial and then order bulk probably along with other stuff.

#36 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:45 PM

OK so a quick update on my Liposomal Vitamin C megadosing experiment.

I got my liposomal vitamin c from Amazon today mid evening, and I took my first dose at 4pm. I used the cap it came with instead of a teaspoon dose (5ml) it recommends, and ingested 15ml instead. Since then I've been dosing randomly, and I've basically drunk half the bottle it looks like (75ml); these 150ml bottle are so small! Note I can taste the ascorbic acid while dosing (I drink it straight, no mixing in water).

It's 8pm now (4 hours later).

My effects so far:

Bowel Tolerance

I just went to the toilet. No bowel intolerance, no diarrhea, no rushing to go to the toilet before this time! Absolutely amazing! I honestly hope this stuff is real and I'm absorbing lots of vitamin c.

One interesting note is this brand (from Amazon) contains stevia, which I usually avoid because of bloating/diarrhea. I did get very small bloating, but nothing majorly notable, and remember I drank half the bottle (75ml)! But this small bloating could also be from the stevia, so note that, because the other brand I ordered (which hasn't come yet) has no extra ingedients to flavour it (which I don't care about anyway).

And once more I want to emphasize the bloating is minuscule, it just feels like I have trapped gas or something, like I need to fart but can't and it's causing slight discomfort in my gut. That's all.

So very impressed with the bowel aspect so far, that's for sure. Nothing compared to taking normal vitamin c, but like I said, I really hope this stuff is actually doing what it claims (better absorption).

Positive Effects

Ok, so it feels like my visual clarity is the only positive improvement I've noticed so far.

Neutral/Negative Effects

Hearing -

My hearing seems to be hearing weird "putting your ear to a sea shell" high pitches every now and then, and lasting a max of 10 seconds. But it's something that usually doesn't happen.

Tiredness/Sleepiness -

I'm really quite tired/sleepy right now. It feels like a good tiredness, like I could go to bed now and have a good nights sleep. Like my brain has the right nutrient to help me fall asleep quicker and more deeply. So I'll say this tiredness/sleepiness is more neutral at the moment (since it's 8:20pm and I do have sleep debt to catch up on). However once I experiment further on this in the coming days, I'll be able to tell if this tiredness is just the sleep debt (and initial vitamin C megadosing), or negative repeated effect.

I'm pretty sure when previously megadosing normal vitamin c, I experienced tiredness in the early days of the experiment, before I got the massive amounts of energy later on. But like I said further observation is required.

Lack of Mental Clarity -

I'm finding it quite a bit hard to read or type coherently right now (I'm doing a lot of correcting). It seems like the sleepiness is going hand in hand with this it feels like.

Let's not forget the Lectithin!

Usually when taking choline type substances, I get tired, more robot, and depressive symptoms. I haven't felt more robot or depressed, but like I've already written, I'm feeling quite tired atm and think this could be to do with the increased lectithin (choline type substance) intake. Another thing I get when taking choline type substances, is a fishy smelling dick (yeah gross I know), and it was something I observed around 8pm today. Please note my dick is normally neutral smelling, and shouldn't smell of anything at all today as I thoroughly washed myself in the shower at 1pm (including my appendage); the smell I observed is distinct and only happens when I take a  choline like supplement (acetlycholine, DMAE). So this must have come from the increased lectithin.

So it should definitely be noted that my choline intake is increasing also, and may be the result of the some of the observations I post throughout my megadosing experiment with liposomal vitamin c.

That's all. Wanted to update now before I forget, as I'm so tired right now and will be hitting the bed soon.

#37 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:39 PM

Quick Update:

Day 1 (5/02) - 75ml of liposomal vitamin c, also got high

Day 2 (6/02) - 50ml of liposomal vitamin c, got high again

Day 3 (7/02) - 15ml of liposomal vitamin c

Ok, so my £30 150ml bottle lasted 3 days; and I now have to wait for the other brand to arrive. The other brand is cheaper, and you get 100ml more per bottle with no stevia or flavourings.

Now because I got high the last 2 nights, I ended up overeating crap, which then caused my sleeping to be disturbed badly because I kept waking up with bad indigestion throughout the night. So this really has interfered with this experiment, and now I've also run out of the liposomal vitamin c. So it will be best if I continue this experiment once the other brand of liposomal vitamin c comes.

The only major observations I can give you from drinking 150ml of vitamin c in 3 days are:

1. My visual clarity increased.

2. My brain is so so very calm atm. It feels like a much lower cortisol output because the vitamin c is working on my adrenal glands. It's not the high energy I got from last time I experimented with megadosing vitamin c, but that high energy only occurred on the 9th day. And I messed around with dlpa a couple of times to combat the calmness. So the experiment needs to carry on for a longer period before I can pinpoint the high energy to only vitamin c, or a combination of vitamin c + dlpa. 

3. Both times I smoked weed, I got really really high. Like it brought my tolerance back down to when I did it for the first time. Something which stopping for weeks at a time didn't do. Very interesting.

I don't want to throw out any conclusions yet, as I want to get my other liposomal vitamin c first (without the stevia), and recommence the experiment for the duration it takes to drink those 5 bottles. I plan on making each bottle last a week, so that's around 30-35ml a day (I'll try and split this for 15ml in the morning and 15ml in the evening). If I do this, I should drink a total of 1.25 litres of liposomal vitamin c in 35 days; however this is subject to change if I feel there is no benefit to higher doses and I'm wasting it. 

The one theory I'll sum up using my experiences of vitamin c so far, including getting high. It feels as though vitamin c's main thing is keeping the brain healthy, clear and calm, as well as helping the production of neurotransmitters. So for example when I get high again, I get super high, I've got a lot more building blocks and balance in my brain. Same with taking it with caffeine in the past. It feels as though my brain is more flexible, relaxed, and can tolerate more stress. I don't really know how to explain it, and I'm only theorizing here. But I think vitamin c is the counter balance that helps your brain tolerate and enhance other nootropics/stimulants without feeling burned out or brain fogged. 

Anyway I only wanted to update you guys, I really need more time to test, and have to wait for my liposomal vitamin c from Germany now.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#38 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

OK a quick update (hopefully).

So my other liposomal vitamin c came yesterday. I have to consume it within 3 weeks of opening anyway. 250ml / 21 days = 11.9ml/day minimum. 10ml = 1000mg vitamin c, but is apparently equivalent to 8g of vitamin c due to it's high absorption.

Now I can't really say this test is fair, because I take a myriad of other supplements, including Gingko (which I've decided to increase since yesterday for the hell of it). As well as me screwing up my sleeping quality by smoking before bed last night (nicotine is very stimulating for me), and the previous nights smoking weed, getting high, over eating junk, and then disturbing my sleeping pattern by waking up due to too much food in my stomach.

Also I've been practicing my amygdala clicking visualization, and have been getting the benefits of reduced negative emotions and increased positive emotions. Combine this with the very powerful calming effect of vitamin c, and I honestly feel like a Zen Buddha.

My brain & my mood feels oh so calm and tranquil at the moment. When talking to people, I talk to them logically with calmness and control over my emotions; note this isn't a robot logical like feeling of no emotions which you might get when raising your acetylcholine, but rather it's just a very calm normal feeling like a Zen Buddha.

For example yesterday someone got upset at work over a question I asked them, when it was asked in the most calm & neutral way and it wasn't a criticism (it was a work related question that affected my work), and so I wanted to know the reasoning behind her decision. Her decision was totally valid btw, however she took it as a criticism of her work and made a huge thing of it. But because I was so calm and tranquil, my replies were neutral and I didn't get caught into the drama. We're totally fine today and I think she felt a bit foolish for her reactions yesterday. But I emphasize with her though, because if she was on high doses of vitamin c and clicking her amygdalas forward too, she'd be in a similar state of mind and see it was no big deal. I will admit an angry thought of calling her out on the ridiculousness of this argument arose in my mind a couple of times, but getting angry was just really way too hard, and I ended up making the right decision in the end by keeping it neutral and not falling into the drama.

Also last night around 9-10.30pm, I worked on an article on my website, and felt very clear headed. Now this might not seem like a big deal, but it is if you woke up at 6am yesterday with a bad quality sleep, because you smoked weed the night before and overate like a pig (which ended up disturbing my sleep and waking me up early). I must have got around 4-5 hours of disturbed sleep.

It should also be noted I decided to take 5 of my gingko pills in the morning yesterday (for the hell of it), and ended up taking around 30ml of the lipsomal vitamin c throughout the day.

It should also be noted that usually when I lack a good quality sleep, it will put me in a more agitated/grumpy mood. This didn't happen yesterday at all.

Here are my rounding thoughts:

• Though I woke up at 6am from a bad quality sleep yesterday (overeating), my mood was so calm and tranquil throughout the entire day, the opposite of what would usually happen when I lack a good sleep.

• But even with my bad quality of sleep and waking at 6am, I was still able to write an article with a clear head at 10pm, with only a very slight performance decrease due to being tired.

• My conclusion: Vitamin C + Amygdala Clicking + Gingko helps combat mental fatigue from a lack of sleep, to a level where your mind can function quite clearly and also makes you feel like a Zen Buddha with little to no stress or anxiety.

Edited by manny, 10 February 2018 - 11:36 AM.

#39 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:12 PM

My only concern is what that much vitamin c which is an acid does to the stomach lining and the lining of other body parts. 

#40 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:22 PM

Jimmy stop being such a Glick and get some vitamin c down you gullet. You can thank me later!

As for this experiment. Well I think it's run it's course. I take my liposomal at least once a day, but twice a day quite often. But the main thing is I take it, and it works. Yes my mental energy and clarity is through the roof. No brain fog, no mild ocd that makes me spend half an hour rewriting sentences again and again and again until I think it sounds correct. Lots and lots and lots of mental/brain benefits, I can't be bothered to write anymore about it to be honest. All I care is I keep taking it, and keep practicing my amygdala tickling.

Vitamin C = Best Brain Food Vitamin period! IN MY HONEST OPINION 

Anyone who doesn't supplement this simple vitamin 2-6g a day while trying every other nootropic is a fool!

Feed your brain, don't be a fool, take Vitamin C! Take as much as your bowels can handle, or as much as you need to feel the benefit to your brain. Just do it, 2g with every meal (breakfast, lunch, & dinner) it's not hard, it's totally worth it duuude!

#41 Galaxyshock

• 1,467 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

I seem to get a bit edgy feeling from Vitamin C. I think it induces dopamine betahydroxylase too much for me which results in increased noradrenaline/adrenaline. I remember it doing this before. I've been taking 500-1000 mg 3-4 times a day with my other supplements. I'm probably going to reduce the dosage.

• Informative x 1

#42 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

Yes, do whatever makes you feel best. Each individual is different and may require higher or lower doses.

I also wanted to reply to this thread on my own progress. I'm not too sure how well liposomal vitamin c is benefiting me. It feels like I may have gotten more benefits with regular ascorbic acid than the liposomal type. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I don't think I'll be spending anymore money on liposomal vitamin c after my bottles run out. The only big benefit I really noticed was no diarrhea, but that's it really. So I'll probably go back regular vitamin c pills in the future, 2-6g a day.

Oh. One thing I will note, which I would attribute a large part to my vitamin c intake, is cardio exercise seems easier, I have so much more energy.

Edited by manny, 19 February 2018 - 01:31 PM.

#43 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

I seem to get a bit edgy feeling from Vitamin C. I think it induces dopamine betahydroxylase too much for me which results in increased noradrenaline/adrenaline. I remember it doing this before. I've been taking 500-1000 mg 3-4 times a day with my other supplements. I'm probably going to reduce the dosage.

Actually you might be on to something. Since my nicotine experiment, I've had sleep debt I just couldn't catch up on. I'm wondering now if the vitamin c I'm taking is doing what you mentioned, and making it hard to get a good nights sleep. I'm not even mega dosing it now per se, but I'm taking liposomal vitamin c where 1g is apparently equivalent to 8g. So I think I'll experiment with lower maintenance doses of regular vitamin c (ascorbic acid) once I finish all the liposomal bottles I bought.

Thanks for adding this information.

#44 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 March 2020 - 06:30 PM

I’m back with experimenting with higher doses of vitamin c. As per my last post I believe I dropped it down to 1g a day because I thought it was messing with my sleep quality.

However with my recent success with DMAE for emotional stability and preventing emotional flashbacks, but with side effects of not being able to fall asleep and dulling my concentration, I’ve decided to look into higher doses of vitamin c and vitamin d as a possible alternative for my emotional well being.

The other thing is I’ve joined the gym this week and have already been twice doing cardio. One of the previous benefits I noted with vitamin c in this thread is the lessening of the inner voice and resistance to doing things. My first day of cardio was much more of an effort mentally compared to yesterday when I took 2g vitamin c before and had increased my vitamin d dosage to 5000 I.U. In the morning.

Another noticeable effect yesterday 45 minutes after taking 2g of vitamin c, was my visual clarity went up, an effect I’ve previously noted in this thread.

I’m hoping with my stack changes since last time I did this, I can get the amazing brain energy I was experiencing with megadosing vitamin c, without effecting my sleep quality or causes too much diarrhoea. While lipsomol didn’t give me any diarrhoea, I have plenty of regular 1g ascorbic acid pills I bulk bought years ago.

Goal is 6g a day, but hopefully reaching higher if possible, such as 9g a day.

2-3g morning
2-3g evening
2-3g before bed

I will say I do remember my peak brain energy I got when I initially did this experiment (written in this thread), and it was honestly awesome having that mental energy, it was like I didn’t know how mentally low energy I was until I experienced that explosive brain energy with megadosing vitamin c (taking 1g a day doesn’t compare). I can’t remember the energy being as explosive when I tried it with the lipsomol later on. But I’m hoping I can recreate my initial brain energy experience but make it long term this time around.

#45 recon

• 192 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 03:28 AM

So, after reading up articles on that serum DHA regardless of the amount, is unlikely to cross the blood-brain barrier, and that a specific form is necessary for that (Lyso-DHA), I am curious to see if it is the case for Vitamin C as well.

Earlier I read that Vitamin C crosses the blood-brain barrier via its oxidised form. If that is true then any Vitamin C form would do. Otherwise, I wonder which is most effective for increasing neural levels. Currently I am looking at Lyposomal Vitamin C and PureWay-C.

#46 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:07 AM

doubling post

Edited by pamojja, 12 March 2020 - 11:13 AM.

#47 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:12 AM

Earlier I read that Vitamin C crosses the blood-brain barrier via its oxidised form. If that is true then any Vitamin C form would do.

Exactly, I wouldn't worry about brain levels too much, since it anyway seems up to 15 times of serum (https://med.libretex...ue_Accumulation)

Table 9.312 Human tissue & fluid ascorbic acid concentrations1

Organ/Tissue Vitamin C Concentration* Organ/Tissue Vitamin C Concentration*

Pituitary Gland 	40-50 	        Lungs 	                 7
Adrenal Gland 	        30-40 	        Skeletal Muscle 	3-4
Eye Lens 	        25-31 	        Testes 	                 3
Liver 	                10-16 	        Thyroid 	         2
Brain 	                13-15 	        Cerebrospinal Fluid 	3.8
Pancreas 	        10-15 	        Plasma 	              0.4-1
Spleen 	                10-15 	        Saliva         	      0.1-9.1
Kidneys 	         5-15 	

* mg/100 g wet tissue, mg/100 mL fluids

One study found that 20g of ascorbic acid taken throughout the day can raise serum-levels to about 9 mg/dl. And presumable therefore could raise brain tissue 13-15 times of that.

A recent study by Dr. Levy found, that equal amounts of oral liposomal and regular sodium ascorbate raise serum level equally. Only the area under the curve was 150% for liposomal compared to sodium ascorbate. Despite that, he still promotes liposomal as 10 times clinically more effective... ..he still is a paid consultant of LivOnLabs liposomal vit C.

Edited by pamojja, 12 March 2020 - 11:23 AM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#48 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 11:47 AM

A recent study by Dr. Levy found, that equal amounts of oral liposomal and regular sodium ascorbate raise serum level equally. Only the area under the curve was 150% for liposomal compared to sodium ascorbate.

My mistake! The crucial point of that study was:

https://isom.ca/arti...hydrocortisone/

The concentrations of ascorbate in white blood cells were changed after intake of ascorbate in the form of non-encapsulated and encapsulated liposomal ascorbate supplementations. The average maximum increase in the concentrations of ascorbate in cells was the same for both formulations (in range 40%÷50%).  The data show that liposomal ascorbate resulted in faster intake by cells. The comparison of the areas under the curve for concentrations that were higher than initial levels showed that AUC was on 50% larger for liposomal formulation in comparison with non-encapsulated ascorbate.

Therefore not serum - but intracellular levels!

#49 blackkzeus1

• 1 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 March 2020 - 04:55 PM

I’m back with experimenting with higher doses of vitamin c. As per my last post I believe I dropped it down to 1g a day because I thought it was messing with my sleep quality.

However with my recent success with DMAE for emotional stability and preventing emotional flashbacks, but with side effects of not being able to fall asleep and dulling my concentration, I’ve decided to look into higher doses of vitamin c and vitamin d as a possible alternative for my emotional well being.

The other thing is I’ve joined the gym this week and have already been twice doing cardio. One of the previous benefits I noted with vitamin c in this thread is the lessening of the inner voice and resistance to doing things. My first day of cardio was much more of an effort mentally compared to yesterday when I took 2g vitamin c before and had increased my vitamin d dosage to 5000 I.U. In the morning.

Another noticeable effect yesterday 45 minutes after taking 2g of vitamin c, was my visual clarity went up, an effect I’ve previously noted in this thread.

I’m hoping with my stack changes since last time I did this, I can get the amazing brain energy I was experiencing with megadosing vitamin c, without effecting my sleep quality or causes too much diarrhoea. While lipsomol didn’t give me any diarrhoea, I have plenty of regular 1g ascorbic acid pills I bulk bought years ago.

Goal is 6g a day, but hopefully reaching higher if possible, such as 9g a day.

2-3g morning
2-3g evening
2-3g before bed

I will say I do remember my peak brain energy I got when I initially did this experiment (written in this thread), and it was honestly awesome having that mental energy, it was like I didn’t know how mentally low energy I was until I experienced that explosive brain energy with megadosing vitamin c (taking 1g a day doesn’t compare). I can’t remember the energy being as explosive when I tried it with the lipsomol later on. But I’m hoping I can recreate my initial brain energy experience but make it long term this time around.

You never actually explained how vitamin C helps with your brain fog. Does it improve short term and working memory? Do you find it easier to think abstractly?

#50 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:44 AM

Just having a look back on this thread.

Post 20, 18/6/2017. I still remember that day/moment, as it says it was 9 days after megadosing vitamin c. I felt so full of energy, mental energy, mental clarify, and slight euphoria. But the mental energy was the thing that really left an impression for me. I never knew I could feel so much mental energy. Since then when I experimented with mega-dosing vitamin C, I was never able to feel that same type of mental energy again. In fact I discontinued Vitamin C high doses in later experiments because my sleep quality would suffer, something I can't remember experiencing when I first did this experiment in 2017.

So looking back, I actually think it was the combination of the DLPA supplement and Vitamin C that gave me that strong mental energy that day. The only reason I never went back to experimenting with it was because I remember how awake that DLPA supplement made me when I was trying to sleep. However it should also be noted the supplement contained Bromelain and Astaxanthin. And I'm pretty sure I avoid Krill Oil because it causes me insomnia, so Astaxanthin could be another reason along with the DLPA which kept me awake. I'm going to look into a DLPA supplement alone, but a low dose.

But one connection I want to make to Vitamin C is NAC. As I noted in previous posts Vitamin C reduced my OCD. Since this thread, I've experimented with NAC, and NAC reduced my OCD to being non existent. NAC also helps me with anhedonia. I recently took NAC out of my well rounded stack for the last couple of months, and my anhedonia and OCD has returned, my anhedonia being the worst of the two to return. So the connection between Vitamin C and my OCD, might be because Vitamin C alone is something that is known to help increase the available glutathione in the body, which is what NAC does a lot.

While not related to the thread entirely, I will go over other supplements and their observed effects on me mentally.

DMAE. I have a supplement that gives 175mg of DMAE. DMAE will obliterate my anxiety, literally obliterate it. I think this supplement makes me very calm and collected. However I took 2 once (350mg), and I experienced hypomania and euphoria. DMAE also contributes to insomnia.

Turmeric/Curcumin Extract. Curcumin extract is another supplement I've discovered recently which also pretty much gets rid of my anxiety. However the main reason I take it is because of it's serotonin balancing effects. OCD is associated with low serotonin. The frequent insomnia I would get from many supplements could be linked to low serotonin. And I think the biggest link to me having low serotonin, was when I first started experimenting with an NAC & Sarcosine combo, and I would become hypomanic and would get brain zaps. Brain zaps being associated with low serotonin.

Vitamin D. While I still don't know the correct dose for me on this. I remember 5000 I.U. of it would make me very apathetic, and Vitamin D is meant to increase serotonin. However I can't remember the exact reason I settled for the RDA of 400 I.U. except high doses can make me very apathetic and constipate me. But I remember high doses wasn't helping me with emotional issues at the time. I also remember when I had the coronavirus, I was upping my vitamin D, and did feel a brilliant burst of energy one day. So it's something I need to experiment with more.

5-htp & tryptophan. A quick mention of these. While I was trying to correct my low serotonin problems, I experimented with these individually. Each gave me serious brain fog throughout the day and insomnia at night. Though a small dose of 5-htp before bed would give me some of the most refreshing sleep ever, it was too inconsistent. After this I discovered turmeric/curcumin extract, which I think is much better for correcting serotonin imbalance issues without any side effects. Combine this with vitamin D and I think I'm mostly okay on the serotonin side of things.

Benfotiamine & Sulbutiamine. Both of these will cause insomnia when taking too high of a dose individually. But both of these helps cure so many problems, especially when it comes to indigestion and nausea normally, or nausea after drinking alcohol or smoking weed. I also think they may cure sleep apnea along with vitamin D. Once a long time ago I experienced euphoria and social interaction when taking sulbutiamine, but not really again.

The main reason I'm posting my finding is I want to reinvent my stack so I can feel the bursts of energy I have a few times before on various supplements, as well reduce my OCD and anhedonia, without becoming hypomanic. The physical side of my health is less, but still requires attention to somewhat. So I want to drop things 

So my stack will go something like this:

Morning:

DLPA (maybe, I haven't got any at the moment, and I want to see if I can reproduce that burst of energy without this first)
Vitamin D (need to test doses)
Vitamin C (need to test doses)
1 x DMAE (175mg)
1 x NAC (500-700mg)
1 x Benfotiamine (150mg)
1 x pycnogenol (30mg)

Night:

2 x ZMA 
1 x Vitamin E-400
1 x Turmeric/Curcumin Extract
1 x Lavender
1 x Melatonin (300mcg)

I took 800 I.U. Vitamin D, scoop of NAC (apparently 700mg), half a teaspoon of Vitamin C, and 175mg of DMAE this morning, forgot to take benfotiamine. I'm not exactly feeling full of energy right now, though I feel calm as a cucumber (I had slight confrontation by someone else in a shop today for not wearing a mask, but it didn't bother me at all, anxiety obliterated). I've noticed in subsequent experiments with Vitamin C I would feel tiredness rather than energy, and wonder if I'm feeling tired now because of taking half a teaspoon of it (which is the main reason I started this post on this thread). So I'm leaning toward maybe limiting Vitamin C to 2g and experimenting with Vitamin D in higher doses. So the experiment begins anew, but I'm very interested in getting that full of energy feeling back again, without hypomania, and ridding myself of OCD and anhedonia as well.

Edit: Just took another 3 x 400 I.U. Vitamin D, making a total of 2000 I.U. lets see if my energy levels go up. If they do, I'm thinking 2000 I.U. Vitamin D, 2-4g Vitamin C, and the rest of the stack to see if I can recreate the high mental energy & clarity like I've experienced before.

Edited by Jesus is King, 04 August 2020 - 12:14 PM.

#51 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:11 PM

My experience with DLPA in the past has been that there is a mood lift after a few days. It could cause somebody prone to mania to flip into it. Perhaps low dose would work for you. I personally would only take it for a short time.

As far as Vitamin C, large doses in a powder form disolved in water give me an energy boost. I currently take about 1.2 grams in capsule form. I do not notice anything acute from it.

Good luck

#52 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:05 PM

Well yesterday I experienced major insomnia. I attribute this mainly to the DMAE, but I have noted before high doses of vitamin c can do this to me as well, and I believe was one of the reasons I dropped it to 1-2g in my stack. I think someone said vitamin c can increase the dopamine enzyme or something. Anyway I’m dropping the DMAE and the megadose vitamin c experiment. I think I’ll just up the dose of vitamin d to 1000 iu from 400 iu in my stack and see if I can increase my energy levels.

Since I’ve started taking NAC again, my stuck in the rut/anhedonia feeling is lifting again. But one thing I’ve discovered by chance from a reddit comment, was selenium is needed for the conversion to glutathione, and that taking NAC overtime can deplete selenium. Also the fact I can’t take iodine, carnitine, or coq10 anymore, which I attribute to thyroid and metabolic disorder. It makes me wonder if selenium can help in these areas. It would be great if I could keep my stack the same, but just increase my NAC dosage wIth the help of selenium, as getting a stronger effect from what I already get from NAC is something I want.

Another thing I read is selenium dislodges heavy metals like mercury in the brain, and NAC is a very good chelating agent. So that would be the added bonus to increasing my glutathione levels.

I think the last thing that struck me was new research that says selenium deficiency plays a role in the severity of covid-19. And compared to my wife and father who also got it, it hit me so much harder and for longer. I always thought it was because I had beta Thalassaemia minor, but now i think because I was taking NAC so long previously I depleted my selenium which made it quite severe, along with the fact I can’t take iodine, coq10, or carnitine anymore and selenium plays a role in the thyroid and metabolic disorders, I think I may have been low on it for a while.

But I’m just musing here. I’ve ordered some life extension selenium complex and plan to introduce it into my stack at 200 or 400mcg a day, along with the vitamin d bump, and see if there are any positive results.

#53 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:02 PM

Just a quick update on this. I got my selenium yesterday evening (life extension selenium complex). I took 2, so 400mcg. Definitely a boost in alertness and thyroid activity, I had to take nytol last night because I couldn’t sleep. Even though i went to bed late and woke up ealier than usual, I took my usual stack this morning but with the now added selenium (only 1 200mcg capsule). And all day I’ve felt awake, a little wired/stimulated, but nothing over the top. Basically selenium has got rid of any daytime tiredness, it’s a nice steady energy. Not sure how I’ll sleep tonight in 5 hours because I don’t feel tired right now, but hopefully it won’t be too bad. But selenium is definitely a mainstay for me right now, feels like the missing peice to my stack, and am looking forward to experimenting with it further. However I should also mention I upped my vitamin D from 400 to 1000 I.U. 

Anyway I’ll continue to use my stack as it is (with the new added selenium), and then some days I’ll try upping the vitamin c and see what happens. Hopefully I won’t have to invest in dlpa, i really don’t feel like I need anymore stimulation.

Morning Stack

[] = Dosage of pill, not total dosage

2 x ZMA [Zinc 10mg, Vitamin B6 3.5mg, Magnesium 150mg] (Supplemented/Amazon)

1 x Benfotiamine [150mg] (Doctors Best)

1 x B-Complex (Higher Nature - B-Vital)

1 x Vitamin C [1g] (Any brand is fine as long as it’s ascorbic acid)

1 x Vitamin D [1000 I.U.] (Natures Aid)

1 x Vitamin E (Healthy Origins - E400)

1 x Cod Live Oil [1g] (Natures Aid)

1 x Borage Oil [1g] (Supplemented/Amazon) 

1 x NAC [500mg] (Prowise/Amazon)

1 x Selenium Complex [200mcg] (Life Extension)

1 x Pycnogenol [30mg] (Natures Aid)

1 x Ginger (Natures Aid or Higher Nature)

1 x Turmeric (Nature’s Aid)

Edited by Jesus is King, 07 August 2020 - 06:03 PM.

#54 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:23 AM

Just an update on this. My mental energy and clarity are through the roof right now since taking selenium. I should also note I'm taking a teaspoon of glycine in the evenings since my last post.

But since taking selenium, the difference is night and day. I feel better, my energy is way up, my mental energy is way up, my sleep is better, I easily get out of bed with energy, my libido is way up, no daytime tiredness.

I'm not really sure I need to experiment with high doses of Vitamin C anymore. However in the coming months I will be doing some tweaking and experimenting with my stack. What I want to do is introduce coq10 and ALCAR first (and maybe sea kelp), and as long as I can tolerate them without side effects, the only other thing I can think of experimenting with is Vitamin C doses, but other than that I really can't think of anything else I need or want.

In other words if nothing else was added to my stack and I continue to feel the great effects I'm getting from adding selenium and glycine, I'd be fine with that.

Let's see what happens!

#55 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:45 PM

While taking selenium has been great, no daytime tiredness, steady energy, skin healing, emotional stability. I am exhibiting some negative symptoms which I would guess is slight hyperthyroidism. Mainly difficulty falling asleep, low libido, and a slightly wired attention. The crazy thing is after a few days of taking it my libido was the highest it's ever been in a long while, but I haven't been able to recreate that effect since.

I'm not going to get rid of selenium as it has made a world of difference. But I wish I had bought a lower dose to play with, mine is the RDA 200mcg Super Selenium Complex by Life Extension.

I think instead of buying another supplement with a lower dose, I might try and supplement it every 2 or 3 days instead, or twice a week. Hopefully I can still get the many benefits selenium has given me, while spreading out the dose. I'm not sure how well this will work though, because the days I do take it still might cause the negative symptoms again, such as difficulty falling asleep. In which case I might have to get a lower dose supplement of 50 or 100mcg.

The other thing I was thinking about trying before hand, but have to wait for my pulled neck muscle to fully heal. Is supplementing ALCAR in the mornings, as carnitine is known to inhibit the thyroid hormones somewhat.

But selenium seems to make everything more tolerable, whether it's caffeine, theobromine, or supplements. In fact the difficulty falling asleep yesterday was because I consumed cocoa in the morning and then caffeine later. But I haven't consumed any today or the day before yesterday and still have those negative symptoms aforementioned.

#56 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2020 - 10:32 AM

Ok yesterday I didn’t take any supplements, and the day before I only took glycine in high doses (causing nausea), the days before that I was taking my usual stack. Yesterday I got my 50mcg selenium tablets. So today without taking anything else, I took 2 tablets (100mcg) and 1 teaspoon of glycine an hour after waking. It should be noted I will not take glycine later or before bed, as I have recently rediscovered, it actually gives me significant insomnia.

So I’m only going to experiment with selenium and glycine together (in the morning) the new few days, keeping the glycine as 1 teaspoon, but the selenium as 100mcg at first, but if I experience the negatives, experiment with 50mcg doses. Once I get the right dose, I’ll start taking my usual stack again.

The 200mcg of selenium is a funny one. There’s no doubt the difference it made was night and day. My libido went sky high some days, and then normal/low other days. I felt great on it, no day time tiredness, emotional stability, steady energy; but at the same time I felt a little too stimulated, had trouble falling alseep, felt my thyroid was slightly too high. So I don’t want to ever get rid of this supplement, it’s probably in my top 3 at the moment, maybe even number 1. But I need to find the right dose first before continuing with my stack.

#57 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2022 - 08:16 PM

humanoids we make vitamin C just in very low amounts in brain only but can be passed to rest of the body from there. Our diet must have been high in vitamin C at one point hence we de-evolved to not produce it as much why IK  and how im not as  sure. Which is odd since it is the most important vitamin so our diet must have been plentiful of it for a long period of time and peaceful life so not to require a lot of it.

Edited by kurdishfella, 17 April 2022 - 08:27 PM.

#58 mbdrinker

• 137 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2022 - 11:06 PM

That vit c megadose guy is crazy and funny. I personally never felt any improvement in taking dose higher than 500 mg and as books claim excess of vitamin c will make your body try to deactivate excessive amount. So useless to overdose

#59 mbdrinker

• 137 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2022 - 08:40 AM

I Have found correlation with his data on C interaction with dopa related stuff. I.e. vit c alleviates negative manifestations from selegiline such as heart pain, insomnia, overexcitation
  • Needs references x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 November 2022 - 08:23 AM

So I’ve been taking 1g of vitamin c for ages now. Some reason I found 2g+ a bit too strong in the past, something to do with the dopamine increase. However for awhile my wound healing ability has been slow against skin fungal infections, I’ve had a problem with the back of my right ear for a year now, though I only started applying fungal cream the last month. It’s healing but slow. And my stack covers literally everything.

So I decided to start 4g+ vitamin c again the past few days and here is what I experienced:

1. Sleep. I’ve had a lot of issues with my sleep forever. But last night I had so much REM, and I could remember all of my dreams. Looked up online and says a lot of REM is catching up on sleep deprivation, which I can imagine being the cause. I think I’ve been able to fall asleep much faster also.

2. Mood. I seem to be happier. I still remember that day from the original experiment that started this thread, like the 9th day of megadosing, I felt super good. It was concluded it was probably because of the Dlpa, however for the last 6 months I’ve been taking Dlpa in my stack without this type of effect. And previously in this thread I megadosed vitamin c in lipsomal without any effect. I think it might be a combo of the two, but also I think lipsomal vitamin c might have given me too much lecithin in the past dulling any effect due to increased acetylcholine, as lip Somalis are usually made with soy lecithin.

3. Hypomania/Bipolar. My stack has been refined over the years to combat increasing amounts of bipolar symptoms. It seems I’ve got to a point where depression isn’t much of an issue, which I assume is down to including concentrated omega 3 in my stack. However hypomania, while less, still comes about. I feel just these past few days with high dose vitamin c, it feels less. However comparing to past experiences with high vitamin c where I was obviously still hypomanic, I would say it’s due to high vitamin c and the rest of my refined stack rather than vitamin c alone.

One interesting study I came across was 3g of vitamin c helped bipolar mania by reducing vanadium in the body, which apparently bipolar sufferers accumulate higher amounts of for some reason. So maybe one reason why higher doses of vitamin c does effect my mood slightly positively.

Anyway time will tell, it’s very early. But I’m happy with the results so far, and I’m hoping if I stick to it long term now with my current stack, at 5g or more a day, it should hopefully help me in many ways. But currently I don’t think 1g is enough for my needs at least.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vitamin c, brain, nootropic, adrenal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users