• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is it cheaper buying Lion's Mane or growing it?

lions mane

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

As we all know Lion's Mane can be quite expensive. I am willing to grow it but people seem to be implying that there's a problem to doing that, because you need to grow vast amounts to get a little out of it or?

Is growing it at home feasible?

#2 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:57 PM

If you are after its alleged proneurotrophic abilities, Lion's Mane is probably just not worth it, in my humble opinion, that's it. 

Here is why. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

If you are after its alleged proneurotrophic abilities, Lion's Mane is probably just not worth it, in my humble opinion, that's it. 

Here is why. 

I bought Swanson's Lion's Mane and it gave me very vivid senses but stopped working after a few days and was otherwise mild. Swanson is known to be a very cheap brand but I didn't want to invest in expensive extracts. I thought growing it would be easier and perhaps even enjoyable.

All I am after is the sharper senses effect I noticed (which came together with itching skin).

#4 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:02 PM

Here is why.

I bought Swanson's Lion's Mane and it gave me very vivid senses but stopped working after a few days and was otherwise mild. Swanson is known to be a very cheap brand but I didn't want to invest in expensive extracts. I thought growing it would be easier and perhaps even enjoyable.
All I am after is the sharper senses effect I noticed (which came together with itching skin).

All that you felt was placebo. Seriously. In the one from Swanson it is stated: Mycelium biomass

Lion's Mane is weak enough doing its work, you will see this if you click in the link from my previous comment, but it is impossible that a non-extracted mycelium biomass (so starch) could do something perceptible, impossible. You will need a good fruiting body supplement tested for starch and measured in beta-glucans. What you took it wasn't even the mushroom. Do your research, here in this very same forum you will find a lot of information about this, and you will see that I'm saying the truth.

#5 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:30 AM

All that you felt was placebo. Seriously. In the one from Swanson it is stated: Mycelium biomass

Lion's Mane is weak enough doing its work, you will see this if you click in the link from my previous comment, but it is impossible that a non-extracted mycelium biomass (so starch) could do something perceptible, impossible. You will need a good fruiting body supplement tested for starch and measured in beta-glucans. What you took it wasn't even the mushroom. Do your research, here in this very same forum you will find a lot of information about this, and you will see that I'm saying the truth.

People need to stop with calling everything on God's green earth a placebo. Although sharpened senses is the most common placebo effect it certainly wasn't a placebo in my case.

This is the product I ordered, full spectrum Lion's Mane https://www.amazon.c...uct/B001QC05CO/

#6 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:10 AM

People need to stop with calling everything on God's green earth a placebo. Although sharpened senses is the most common placebo effect it certainly wasn't a placebo in my case.

This is the product I ordered, full spectrum Lion's Mane https://www.amazon.c...uct/B001QC05CO/

Even if it worked, and it is impossible giving its composition, pro-NGF compounds need a lot of time to be felt. You said that the effects fade away after few days, the most plausible explanation, in my opinion, is placebo, I may be wrong, it may be confounding factors that I ignore, but I really believe that this is a case of placebo, even if it is irritating to hear sometimes. 

• Agree x 2

#7 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

Everything is placebo or psychosomatic. It's become a spiritual, new-age thing. Somehow you can make your body feel anything if you just believe strongly enough in the effect. Why do we even need girlfriends then? Couldn't we just imagine the sensations of sexual intercourse. What about food, why can't starving people just imagine that they've eaten a large meal? At least that would keep them from constantly thinking about food?

As I've explained before, I know how placebo experiences are, they're easy to detect simply because they involve you searching for an effect in you which naturally sharpens your senses, so you become more aware of certain things or feel that you are senses are... sharper.

Other than that, if you believe that people can make themselves feel all the effects I mentioned in the first paragraph then you live in la-la-land of make-belief.

Doctors who are incompetent and unwilling to help patients often describe the patients experiences as psychosomatic or placebo. This way they ignore having to account for the person's troubles.

The Swason product I posted is NOT just starch. What are you saying? It contains Lion's Mane. Maybe it contains poor concentrations of it but it does contain Lion's Mane.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#8 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

Growing mushrooms is a difficult procedure. There are short cuts, like for instance people grow shitakii using plugs put into logs. Even that can be tricky. Normally you have to have a sterile work space, and sterile substrate. If it grows on grain you can pressure cook the grain with the right amount of water, inoculate the jars and grow it that way. I don't recall what LM grows on, might be a wood lover. Once you have viable colonies growing in a jar you can use them to inoculate wood or other bulk substrates.

The reason you want to do it that way rather than scrape some spores of directly on the bulk substrate is that every mold in the world will be competing with your stuff and will tend to out compete it. If you put large amounts of mycellium on it then your stuff has a big head start and can suppress the other. Its even less easy than I make it sound but its definitely doable. If you have any experience in this area go for it or if you are willing to learn and accept a few set backs.

#9 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

Growing mushrooms is a difficult procedure. There are short cuts, like for instance people grow shitakii using plugs put into logs. Even that can be tricky. Normally you have to have a sterile work space, and sterile substrate. If it grows on grain you can pressure cook the grain with the right amount of water, inoculate the jars and grow it that way. I don't recall what LM grows on, might be a wood lover. Once you have viable colonies growing in a jar you can use them to inoculate wood or other bulk substrates.

The reason you want to do it that way rather than scrape some spores of directly on the bulk substrate is that every mold in the world will be competing with your stuff and will tend to out compete it. If you put large amounts of mycellium on it then your stuff has a big head start and can suppress the other. Its even less easy than I make it sound but its definitely doable. If you have any experience in this area go for it or if you are willing to learn and accept a few set backs.

I appreciate the feedback. Do you think boiling/roasting + freezing is better than boiling/roasting alone? I know freezing kills some yeast and bacteria but others survive the freezing.

My plan is to use oatmeal, buckwheat flour, normal white wheat flour and rice.

Do you think lion's mane can grow on rice?

#10 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:08 PM

You can get all that info via a search. Freezing does not help, use a pressure cooker and all contaminants are killed. I would use whole rye berries, not flour though if you use some vermiculite with flour it may work. Flour tends to form a solid sticky mass hard for the good mold to colonize. Rye berries separate easily after autoclaving. 

#11 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:51 AM

heh i grew mushrooms, it takes space and time to grow just few. and after you saute them, the few that are huge become midgets and then you eat them and thats it. it takes weeks to harvest, but just 10 minutes to eat them. i didnt grow lions mane but i brought them several times to eat. i brought HUGE amount and after cooking them, i felt like i ate maybe about few of the dozen i brought. they shrink tremendously in size! like all mushrooms, they are like sponge, absorbing the elements, water air etc. you dont get much for your time and buck, believe me!

now, maybe you dont wanna eat them (bad idea, they taste AWESOME), but just powder and use as supplement, you will need TONS! good luck!!!

#12 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

maybe you dont wanna eat them (bad idea, they taste AWESOME), but just powder and use as supplement, you will need TONS! good luck!!!

No, I wish to extract the active chemicals, obviously consume the lion's mane if I have to. I'm assuming there's more than just a little of the active chemicals in a lion's mane harvest.

#13 Alpharius

• 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:02 AM

I found the effect of a concentrated Lionmane extract to be everything but for sure not a placebo, but I did not liked the way it stimulated me, felt a little bit boisterous, edgy, not really anxious but something like that.

#14 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:57 PM

strange. maybe you did an extract with a mix of other herbs or stimulants? in general like most mushrooms lions mane lowers blood sugar a noticeable effect which has to do with anti-anxiety , not stimulation.

#15 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:24 PM

strange. maybe you did an extract with a mix of other herbs or stimulants? in general like most mushrooms lions mane lowers blood sugar a noticeable effect which has to do with anti-anxiety , not stimulation.

Do you mean blood sugar or blood pressure? I don't see how anxiety is related to blood sugar.

#16 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:59 PM

Some oriental markets carry it. They may call it monkey's head or some name in their language. Find one, look up the word they use, learn how to pronounce it and go down and ask. Have it written too in case they can't understand you. They may have a whole bin full of it but they call it something else. If they have it it will be cheap.

#17 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:34 AM

Do you mean blood sugar or blood pressure? I don't see how anxiety is related to blood sugar.

no no i mean from studies and personal experience lions mane does lower blood sugar. i just said it might be related to its anti-anxiety effect only for those with high blood sugar. not sure if you have such experience, but high blood sugar can cause nasty brain deficits and various anxiety problems, especially for people sensitive to sugar like me, so it has been much more noticeable in my case.

is the high sugar problem definitely related to anxiety and brain issues? not really, considering people are different and are not mostly diabetics so thats no problem. but people sensitive to stimulants as i see sugar being to me, i can feel anxious on it and lions mane lowers that anxiety.

but it might be one of its benefits relating brain health in general, lowering blood glucose. if you research the subject, lots of herbs, medicinal compounds lowering blood glucose are brain boosting and life extending. so who knows!

#18 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

no no i mean from studies and personal experience lions mane does lower blood sugar. i just said it might be related to its anti-anxiety effect only for those with high blood sugar. not sure if you have such experience, but high blood sugar can cause nasty brain deficits and various anxiety problems, especially for people sensitive to sugar like me, so it has been much more noticeable in my case.

is the high sugar problem definitely related to anxiety and brain issues? not really, considering people are different and are not mostly diabetics so thats no problem. but people sensitive to stimulants as i see sugar being to me, i can feel anxious on it and lions mane lowers that anxiety.

but it might be one of its benefits relating brain health in general, lowering blood glucose. if you research the subject, lots of herbs, medicinal compounds lowering blood glucose are brain boosting and life extending. so who knows!

Both high and low blood sugar causes me to become seriously clumsy and irritable.

Don't think I ever experience anxiety from it though. As for Lion's Mane, I was hoping it wouldn't do anything to blood sugar levels.

#19 Real Mushrooms

• 101 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:12 PM

From a substance standpoint it will certainly be cheaper growing your own mushrooms. They are a great food and are fairly easy to grow. There are lots of good book out there on the subject and you should be able to buy cultures online.

From an efficacy standpoint however, it will be hard to beat a high quality mushroom extract. You can certainly make your own extracts but you will have no where near the same level of precision compared to a commercial extraction facility, not to mention the qualification of active ingredients.

But by all means, make your own extracts. It will be a fun experience and you get to eat fresh mushrooms all the time.

As William Sterog indicated, the Swansons product is mycelium biomass, meaning a large percentage of the product is the substrate (ie. grain) which the mycelium grows on. And while the front panel says "mushroom" and the supplements panel says "mushroom", mycelium biomass contains no mushrooms. The "full spectrum" term commonly used by mycelium biomass products is largely marketing hype with no real backing.

Edited by Real Mushrooms, 06 July 2017 - 07:13 PM.

• Agree x 1

#20 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:31 PM

I have grown lion's mane, following online guides and forums and buying the spores online. It wasn't that easy, especially the humidity iirc which needs to be high and constant. It might take a while to make it work well and in meaningful quantities. In the end I got a measly amount of mushroom and dropped the experiment, it was too much work.
Also I find the extracts from alibaba to be cheap and quite powerful (memory improvements, sharper mind) and take small amounts from time to time. I am not sure the effects are all positive though (I get more anxiety) and don't like the fact that lion's manes' modus operandi is unknown.
  • Good Point x 1

#21 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:31 PM

fntms, that is why I caution people about growing shrooms, it certainly can be done but its not dead simple. Sterility is a major factor especially in the early stages. Humidity as you mentioned, also temperature, light and so on. LM may be easy compared to some of the more difficult shrooms but there is a learning curve. It can be a fascinating hobby.

#22 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:11 PM

If my package arrives at all. I bought from UK mushrooms on Ebay but it's been around 3 weeks now. Packages usually take at most a week.

#23 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:53 AM

im more interested in growing magical mushrooms. are they any difficult to cultivate compared to the edible ones??

#24 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

^Well no from what I've read but they're highly illegal so good luck. If you get caught you're in deep shit.

#25 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:21 PM

The Lion's Mane spores finally arrived. I've taken wood from outside and boiled it and bagged it with lion's mane to get plugs out of that. I've also added spores to trees outside. I've taken brown and white rice and cooked it mildly (to kill organisms) and then bagged it with Lion's Mane. I also did a bag of oatmeal and flour but I think the water content is too high for it to be successful. Right now I am testing what works best for growth.

Interestingly, I noticed my senses were a bit sharper and I thought to myself what have I done differently.. then it dawned on me that it could be the lion's mane I am growing (in my apartment). It doesn't seem likely but anyone who's been closed to any mold or mushrooms know how potent they can be.

The individual who sent the package also added White Enoki to it although I did not pay for it (to my knowledge). Never heard about it before but I did a bag with that as well. It seems to be growing very quickly and has already grown a bit after just 2 days (supposed to be weeks but maybe it's individual for each mushroom).

• unsure x 1

#26 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:08 AM

wait what, you feel different by sniffing the spores in your apartment? uhm i think you believe your senses are sharper perhaps because you are doing something different, a different activity that your brain is not used to, which stimulates thought and brain neurogenesis. perhaps you should just start doing various different hobbies, including this one, and see how much better you get instead of hoping that by eating something you will grow new cells :0

edit: btw where did you buy the spores from? i think the seller is a nice guy sending you extra free spores :D

Edited by hazy, 29 July 2017 - 02:10 AM.

#27 PeaceAndProsperity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:51 PM

We're back to placebo everything. Everybody knows that being close to fungus of any kind can affect you.

There are symptoms for having even tiny amounts of toxic black mold growing in one's apartment, even if inside wood walls.

As for the seller, it was an Ebay based on. I won't recommend him or them because they're insanely slow to reply to messages and send the delivery. It was sent a month later even after contacting him.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#28 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:11 AM

While I appreciate the green thumbs out there, I wouldn't try growing it unless you really know what you're doing.

I used Lost Empire Herb's 8:1 Dual Extract Lion's Mane for about a month. It adds a pleasant earthy taste to my morning cup of steaming coffee.
It has a subtle Nootropic effect, although as far as Adaptogens go I find Chaga or Rhodiola more stimulating. After taking it I found myself in a productive, focused headspace...

1*zw8_U-NAP21VzyOyTFEE5Q.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lions mane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users