• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Using valproic acid to induce neuroplasticity?

neuroplasticity perfect pitch valproic acid brain babies learning

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:11 AM

According to one study, valproic acid was shown to increase the brain’s neuroplasticity, allowing people to learn things in adulthood that would otherwise only be possible for babies.

It’s easy to find in Google, but here’s a link to one webpage discussing the study: https://www.livescie...lute-pitch.html

Has anybody heard of any other similar studies? I wasn’t able to find anything, which I thought was really strange considering how significant the finding was. Has anybody experimented with this personally? I know using the drug carries some risk, but it is approved for the treatment of epilepsy. 

Anyway, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by N.T.M., 22 June 2017 - 05:12 AM.

• Informative x 1

#2 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:18 PM

I did a cursory search and found only this one study. It has to be confirmed by other studies to be believed. Also, what if it only works for musical pitch?

Regardless, it's a very interesting and cheap drug that is underutilized. It even has anti cancer effects.

Thanks for posting.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:54 PM

valproate is shaping up to be the berberine of the pharmaceutical world.  supposedly good for musicians, old people and a long list of other things, but in practice all it does is give you a ripe stomach ache.  it's just not the right look either taking a potent pharm for something off-label, like how DOI is a potent anti-inflammatory but if you started taking it for arthritis you'd literally be out of your mind

• Enjoying the show x 1

#4 Bukujutsu

• 92 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:22 PM

I never experience a stomach ache from it. I've had the exact same idea for some time, using it to modulate neuroplasticity for certain situations, ones where increased adaption would have a positive effect, such as when learning a new skill, or in positive social situations if you have issues with anxiety or isolation, any other psychological issues where you'd like to recondition your brain.

I'm planning on using it when I go back to school.

Edited by Bukujutsu, 25 June 2017 - 08:22 PM.

#5 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:24 PM

I did more searching and came up with this study and review: http://journal.front...2014.00113/full
Based on that, I'm taking it out of my to try list.
  • Informative x 1

#6 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:48 AM

There are other ways e.g. aerobic exercise to increase neuroplasticity.  

#7 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:20 AM

propanolol and bupropion also belong in the set of things which tech n9ne can rap about.  you can find a full list of interactions here.  never was much of a fan of this kind of thing tho, too many side effects (as mentioned).  would rather swash back a cup of tea and hit the gym

• Enjoying the show x 1

#8 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

propanolol and bupropion also belong in the set of things

are you saying they are known to affect neuroplasticity?

#9 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

well they do, you can find for wellbutrin in particular very good cognitive outcomes for the long-term.  but no i meant they're things people on the street couldn't live without, depokate is mood stablizing and anti-epileptic, propanolol is great for situation anxiety (and a lot of physical stuff) and wellbutrin is a watered down version of citalopram and a smoking cessation aid to boot

Edited by gamesguru, 27 June 2017 - 09:45 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#10 N.T.M.

• Topic Starter
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:03 PM

I did more searching and came up with this study and review: http://journal.front...2014.00113/full
Based on that, I'm taking it out of my to try list.

That's really informative (and disappointing).

There are other ways e.g. aerobic exercise to increase neuroplasticity.  

But I assume the effects aren't strong enough as to allow an adult to acquire perfect pitch. While it may seem trivial, prior to this study, I've never heard of this happening. As far as I know, there are no other documented cases of adults acquiring perfect pitch.

I never experience a stomach ache from it. I've had the exact same idea for some time, using it to modulate neuroplasticity for certain situations, ones where increased adaption would have a positive effect, such as when learning a new skill, or in positive social situations if you have issues with anxiety or isolation, any other psychological issues where you'd like to recondition your brain.

I'm planning on using it when I go back to school.

You may want to reconsider taking it. According to the study that Jack Black posted, valproic acid inhibits cell proliferation in the hippocampus, which obviously wouldn't be great if you're in school.

Edited by N.T.M., 27 June 2017 - 09:13 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Bukujutsu

• 92 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:27 PM

Well, I was planning to take a prolonged cycle of NSI-189 as well. I have quite a lot of it. I'll read that paper first to be sure there aren't other issues.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: neuroplasticity, perfect pitch, valproic acid, brain, babies, learning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users