* - - - - 1 votes

Hormone Replacement Therapy and testing

hormones

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 VesperLynd

• 180 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:39 PM

I would like to have tested my levels of Estrogen, Progesterone, DHEA and possibly other hormones.

I am a recently postmenopausal woman, considering HRT. 

I expect my insurer would fight any testing beyond estrogen and progesterone, so I plan to do this outside of insurance if I have to.

I think I can order my own through LEF. 

Is there any consensus on testing through saliva vs. blood vs. urine for these?

In terms of accuracy, etc. -  actually I am probably leaning toward a full hormonal panel and I am interested in knowing what's worthwhile and what may be a waste of time.

Any reliable resources for researching this or based on your own knowledge/experience? thank you

#2 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:09 PM

You really don't need any testing. postmenopausal Women need more hormones. Slow release DHEA is probably the best choice. Don't use estrogen or progesterone.

Also take Niagen to delay aging and prevent cancer.
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:44 PM

I am curious as to why women don't want to take their hormones? If testosterone was easily available then every man on planet Earth would be pumping himself full of it, but women most often prefer to avoid their own hormones... hmmm.

No reason to test, just take estrogen and avoid synthetic progesterone. Take a non-pharmaceutical blood thinner like vitamin B3 or fish oil, and vitamin K2 to prevent calcification. Add dhea and pregnenolone on top of that.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#4 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:45 AM

It is not a good thing to take testosterone for men even if it is free.
It shuts down your own production and could shrink your balls. Other intervention methods are preferred if you really need to increase it.

DHEA is the safer way to go for women because it gets converted to both androgen and estrogen according to what your body needs.
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • Ill informed x 2
  • Agree x 1

#5 VesperLynd

• Topic Starter
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:19 AM

I would like to know baseline so I can compare levels down the line after beginning to supplement.

I've been researching DHEA, lots of confusing data out there about sources - human body can't convert extracts from soy or yams - genosein or something like that (sorry spelling may be off).

So when purchasing, I'd like to ask the manufacturer what is their source. Anyone know what we should be looking for? thanks

#6 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

You are talking about DHEA precursors probably. There is no issue with DHEA.

https://www.amazon.c...CHWL&ref=plSrch

#7 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:57 PM

DHEA can be tricky, can lead to palpitations and acne, pregnenolone might be easier but can lead to acne too, estrogens are usually a bad idea.

What seems to work nicely is sublingual bio identical pregnenolone with topical bio identical progesterone and maybe just a very little sublingual DHEA.

Care is a must in choosing quality pregnenolone and progesterone, DHEA quality seems of less concern.

Possibly topical bio identical progesterone is all you need and likely the main component anyway..

#8 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:02 PM

Pregnenolone is not enough to substitute supplementing actual dhea, estrogen, testosterone and progesterone. Studies show that pregnenolone only converts in extremely small quantities to the main sex hormones, but pregnenolone itself can be lacking in those with hormone deficiencies.

#9 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:13 PM

I would like to know baseline so I can compare levels down the line after beginning to supplement.

If you can, definitely try to get tests. Supplementing without knowing you levels as most here recommend could do more harm.

• Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#10 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:40 PM

Sure...but hormone tests aren't very reliable in the first place for a number of reasons, than one should test hormones when in its twenties and possibly compare that to later in life in order to aim at getting back to those younger values...otherwise it is kind of flawed to start with since we aren't all the same and when it comes to delicate systems as hormones averages do have limits.

All very nice in theory, not so straightforward in practice where usually a try and error approach is more pragmatic.

That's one reason why estrogens aren't a smart choice, too far down the cascade, not flexible enough, no much room for errors.

Better off with precursors up in the hormonal cascade which allows the organism for more flexibility and less chances of gross errors.

With a grain of salt finding the sweet spot isn't usually as difficult as it seems.

Anyway yes, a test here and there would give an idea about what is going on, just don't rely too much on numbers alone.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

#11 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:52 PM

The reason I said tests are really not needed is because after menopause women's estrogen levels drop by 80%. So you need to supplement no matter what the result is.

I want to repeat again that supplementing NAD+ precursor like Niagen is much more important for health in the long haul.
  • Ill informed x 1

#12 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:18 PM

I hate to say it but MikeDC is sadly correct. You don't need a hormone test if you are going to take the hormones, neither as a woman nor as a man. There is the feedback loop and you can read up on what the dosage of estrogen you are taking will give you in terms of ng/dl.

• dislike x 1

#13 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:27 PM

Everybody ill informed but someone...as usual! :)

#14 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:37 PM

If I find out who this.. crook.. is who keeps tagging us ill informed, I'll let him know that it dodn't make no difference.

• Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1

#15 DareDevil

• 283 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:43 PM

You really don't need any testing. postmenopausal Women need more hormones. Slow release DHEA is probably the best choice. Don't use estrogen or progesterone.

For once, exceptional as it may be, I agree with MikeDC.

I was recently under treatment with a doctor in Vienna, Austria who does hormonal replacement therapy. He told me that postmenopausal women should never try to get their estrogen and progesterone levels up to where they were prior to menopause, because it isn't natural and can cause health problems. He gives them HGH and other hormones, but it costs a lot (12,000 euros for 6 months). His results however are reportedly quite good. So it is worth pursuing but keep an eye on costs that can escalate quickly. 

DareDevil

#16 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:15 PM

Actually the health problems seems to arise when those levels aren't where they used to be anymore...anyway for 12000 euro every 6 months I am ready to change my mind.:)

#17 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:00 AM

I disagree. Get your estrogen as high as you can. The higher the better, as with male bodybuilders who want to achieve performance enhancement. The issue is side-effects. With estrogen it's however very easy to control side-effects. For mood swings/irritability simply take a 5ht2a antagonist. For blood clots simply take a natural blood thinner.

It's so simple even you kids could do it!

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#18 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:04 AM

For once, exceptional as it may be, I agree with MikeDC.

I was recently under treatment with a doctor in Vienna, Austria who does hormonal replacement therapy. He told me that postmenopausal women should never try to get their estrogen and progesterone levels up to where they were prior to menopause, because it isn't natural and can cause health problems. He gives them HGH and other hormones, but it costs a lot (12,000 euros for 6 months). His results however are reportedly quite good. So it is worth pursuing but keep an eye on costs that can escalate quickly.

DareDevil

The Doctor just wants to make money. HGH is bad for you long term. It might make you look young for 5-10 year. But you will definitely die sooner. High Growth hormone accelerates aging.

On the other hand, moderate increase with DHEA will enable women to have sex, look younger, and live longer.
  • Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#19 VesperLynd

• Topic Starter
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:31 AM

Would be really great if some of those here with the feedback could point me to references so i can learn more about all of this - the precursors, the "feedback loop", etc.

website link? books?   I feel as if I am flying somewhat blind here and more information would be helpful - thanks

thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hormones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users