Sulforaphane?

sulforaphane

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:52 AM

What's the cheapest and simplest way to get sulforaphane? Any supplement? Or through sprouts?

#2 William Sterog

• 275 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

I'm personally supplementing BroccoMax, the 120 capsule version doesn't seem so expensive and I think that its composition is the optimal for supplementing Sulforaphane:

BroccoMax® has been demonstrated in vitro to yield approximately 8 mg of sulforaphane per DR capsule containing 30 mg of SGS.

BroccoMax®  broccoli seed extract is manufactured using a patented process that preserves  myrosinase, the enzyme in broccoli that metabolizes SGS (Sulforaphane Glucosinolate, a.k.a. glucoraphanin) in the small intestine into sulforaphane.

I'm not affiliated with this brand in any way. If I'm wrong, please, correct me. I'm the first one interested in not throwing away my money. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 joelcairo

• 460 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

The only thing I don't understand about BroccoMax is that two other sulforaphane supplements have doses of 1 mg and 0.4 mg per pill, whereas BroccoMax has 30 mg of sulforaphane glucosinolate. Usually differences in herbal extracts aren't this great. Does the glucosinolate form only have a small amount of actual sulforaphane in it or what?

#4 tintinet

• 1,922 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:55 PM

Sprouts!

Edited by tintinet, 06 July 2017 - 10:59 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#5 Benko

• 115 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:55 AM

Good info on sulforaphane supps including ones used by Johns Hopkins, so they have been tested and actual contents are known.  There is info on sprouts as well.  

http://eatmovehack.c...nin-myrosinase/

• Informative x 1

#6 ChristineH

• 39 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:34 AM

Why use seed extracts when 100% whole broccoli sprout supplements with active myrosinase are available?  Before proceeding, I must disclose a potential conflict of interest.  Not only is my doctoral thesis on sulforaphane but I am also the CSO of an Australian science-based company that manufactures the highest sulforaphane-yielding broccoli sprout raw material .(and capsules) available.  Cell-Logic is a science-based Australian company and we have been working on and perfecting our EnduraCell raw material for over a decade.  We add nothing in the process and remove nothing but water in the drying.  The sprouts' endogenous myrosinase is retained.  The bottom line is that this is a whole food broccoli sprout - it is not manipulated in a lab in any way - no extraction from seeds and then manipulating the extract to yield sulforaphane.   Our whole sprout material contains a number of other bioactives and nutrients which are essential for optimal activity.   

• Informative x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#7 ChristineH

• 39 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:03 AM

The only thing I don't understand about BroccoMax is that two other sulforaphane supplements have doses of 1 mg and 0.4 mg per pill, whereas BroccoMax has 30 mg of sulforaphane glucosinolate. Usually differences in herbal extracts aren't this great. Does the glucosinolate form only have a small amount of actual sulforaphane in it or what?

That is because 30 mg of sulforaphane glucosinolate refers to glucoraphanin, the precursor compound.  It's confusing I know but this does not refer to sulforaphane at all; it is simply the precursor without the myrosinase enzyme.  This cannot be compared with products that actually produce sulforaphane when you swallow them.  Pills with1 mg and 0.4 mg per pill are incredibly low.  Most of the clinical trials for sulforaphane shows that doses around 18-20 mg are about the daily quantity that is producing a clinical response.  Best to look for a capsule that contains around 10 mg or more to match these responses.

• Ill informed x 1
  • dislike x 1

#8 Mind

• Lifetime Member, Moderator, Secretary
  • 15,163 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

This is one of those subjects that tends toward the discussion of commercial products, which is not banned at LongeCity, but we do have a specific sub forum for such discussions: http://www.longecity...uct-discussion/

Just wondering if the discussion-starter or other contributors think it should be moved? If more sulforaphane products/companies are mentioned, then I think it should be moved.

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#9 PWAIN

• 1,278 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:34 PM

Mind, I've seen this poster before, only ever comments on this product without contributing to any other topics. I see this as opportunistic advertising. Perhaps check post history to verify.
  • Agree x 1

#10 Harkijn

• 315 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:19 PM

I would not blame ChristineH, after all she revealed her conflict of interest straightaway and her product may be worthwhile, or interesting. The main sulphorafane thread btw also mentions at least one supplement brand:

http://www.longecity...-the-sirtulins/

Yet I concur that the present thread is better placed in the vendor vetting department.

OP's question is amply discussed in the thread I linked, and the preliminary answer is: take sulphorafane supps(if you can get a really good one) to fight a medical condition and eat a variety of cruciferous vegetables if you want to slow aging.

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#11 Benko

• 115 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

REPLY TO MIND: The way the board is organized the vendor vetting area is where IMHO no one will ever notice or likely read those threads (I'm sure placement of that forum was not an accident). You could have placed it under the supplement area for example.

In fact (for what my opinion is worth) the organization of this whole area of the forum is not optimal.  I realize that figuring out how to organize the section can't be easy, but as it is where to look for things is not obvious or consistent.  I can't help thinking there must be a better way. 

• like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#12 ChristineH

• 39 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:27 AM

REPLY TO MIND: The way the board is organized the vendor vetting area is where IMHO no one will ever notice or likely read those threads (I'm sure placement of that forum was not an accident). You could have placed it under the supplement area for example.

In fact (for what my opinion is worth) the organization of this whole area of the forum is not optimal.  I realize that figuring out how to organize the section can't be easy, but as it is where to look for things is not obvious or consistent.  I can't help thinking there must be a better way. 

I can see I've raised the ire of certain members.  I disclosed my commercial interest - and then addressed some valid questions raised by some members.  Because I disclosed my interest, it seems I am not permitted to answer questions with perfectly correct answers.  Why am I being sent off to the advt area?  My research area is in sulforaphane - I've lived and breathed its science for over 10 years.  I am sure I can answer most if not all of the related questions in a completely unbiased manner.  Here is an educational resource members could use and yet I'm made to feel unwelcome.  Where is the logic in that?  No need for me to mention product - even though someone has referred to a product in the post in this thread.  Because it is my product, my comments seem to be regarded as invalid.  I mentioned my company background for 2 reasons - to be completely transparent - and to indicate that I may have an opinion worth considering.  Now, how is that unreasonable?

• Agree x 3
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 Junk Master

• 1,016 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

Why not just add broccoli seeds to a smoothie?  I do.  Far cheaper than a supplement.  None of the trouble of sprouting or vetting sources (well, a little vetting for the seeds). They're bitter but palatable in a shake.

I found they added a nice crunch and the bitterness was pleasant in certain types of salads, in the same way the bitterness of chicory can be pleasant with sweet tomatoes and oil and vinegar.

Just wanted to add that the seeds have a higher sulforaphane content than sprouts.

Edited by Junk Master, 22 August 2017 - 03:54 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sulforaphane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users