• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What prescription only nootropics/health enhancing meds are there?

medication nootropics elderly care cardiovascular health healing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FrogWarrior

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

I'm helping my granny whos 86, and my friends dad whos around the same age. My friend thinks she can persuade him to go for it. I got the list of the meds hes on, I saved it somewhere and can't find it unfortunately, but the major one that caught my attention is a statin. Anyway, the first step, is hes gonna visit the GP, and while the majority of this is not gonna be done through the GP (I think on this forum we're all in agreement that supplements and nutrition and REAL healing of what they consider terminal/incurable illnesses aren't their domain). So I just want to get the doc to do anything that would be difficult or impossible to do without going through a GP. I wrote a letter for her to bring to the GP when she visits him tomorrow. I'm not finished, but heres what I wrote so far:

Memantine: There is significant evidence to suggest that memantine prevents thte onset of dementia, enhances cognitive functionining in the elderly and protects the brain. Additionally it protects the brain against alcohol associated neurotoxicity due to preventing glutamate excitotoxicity that occurs during the troughs of blood alcohol concentrations.

Gingko biloba: There is ample evidence to suggest that gingko biloba extract (GBE) enhances cardiovascular health. Its vasodilator properties enhance overall blood flow. Its antioxidant properties help protect the blood vessels from oxidation of lipids and LDL cholesterol which reduces risk of artheriosclerosis, thrombosis, heart attack and related problems. It i believed among many people who use it to enhance congitive functioning and prevent the onset of dementia. This is possibly due to its ability to enhance cerebral blood flow. It appears to have a far greater ability to enhance cognitive functioning than aspirin.

In addition to preventing oxidation of LDL cholesterol, GBE lowers levels of LDL cholesterol via other mechanisms. There are a number of bioactive compounds in gingko biloba extract, and the combination of these active constituents result in a relatively novel mechanism of action in terms of lowering LDL cholesterol levels. In contrast to statins, GBE actually inhibits the activity of HMG-CoA reductase, and enhances the expression of certain HDL producing genes and genes involved in cholesterol metabolism such as SREBF2.

The following article has a concise summary of the mechanism behind how GBE reduces HDL cholesterol:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19701231

By using a gene expression profiling approach, we were able to broaden the understanding of the molecular mechanisms by which GBE lowers cellular cholesterol levels. Specifically, we demonstrated that GBE exhibited dual effects on the cellular cholesterol pool by modulating both HMG-CoA reductase activity and inhibiting cholesterol influx.

That study quoted was performed in vitro so it may have significant variation in its mechanisms in vivo, but there is enough evidence to prove that it does indeed tip the balance between HDL and HDH cholesterol towards HDH. Additionally, its ability to prevent lipid and LDL cholesterol oxidation has been researched for many years, so its ability to protect the cardiovascular system in that way has been relatively well established.

Low dose naltrexone: There is ample evidence to suggest that a daily regiment of low dose (3-6 mg) of naltrexone, taking over a long term period reduces inflammation in both the peripheral nervous system and central nervous system significantly. LDN boosts the immune system and has been correlated to a number of beneficial effects including prevention of the onset of some forms of dementia, as well as the alleviation of the symptoms of many chronic and age related symptoms such as fatigue, cognitive impairment and cardiovascular problems. In the case of autoimmune disorders which can lead to dementia, it is a viable route to preventing the onset of this form of dementia. While there isn’t a great amount of evidence to suggest it can help prevent Alzheimers, there have been numerous studies hinting that it may prevent the onset of Parkinsons disease.

Circadin (melatonin): Its been long known that melatonin supplementation enhances sleep quality, and has powerful antioxidant properties, as well as having a relatively good ability to cross the blood brain barrier. In more recent years, its connection to cardiovascular health has been studied more extensively, and there is evidence to suggest it improves cardiovascular health in a number of ways:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4947538/

Racetams: Racetams, the most well known of which is piracetam are well known to protect the brain against hypoxia induced oxidative stress by increasing oxygen bioavailability to the neurons. Its well documented that if piracetam is administered to a stroke victim quickly enough, there is a hugely significant reduction in the likelihood of the patient suffering long lasting brain damaged induced by ischemia. In terms of bioavailability, phenylpiracetam is a better alternative.

IV Vitamin Intervention: There are a significant number of B vitamins that tend to be deficient in elderly people, and there is plenty of evidence suggesting that raising Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12 to optimal levles significantly improves the quality of life among elderly patients. Since there is alcohol involved, Vitamin B1 (thiamine) is obviously an important one. Additionally IV magnesium can protect the brain, prevent cognitive decline and improve cognitive functioning. Additionally, since there is alcohol involved, it is an important micronutrient for protecting the glutamate neurons and excitotoxicity. IV acetyl-L-cysteine is used for treating liver damage such as paracetamol overdose induced liver damage. More effective is IV glutathione. Having optimal levels of glutathione in the liver is another important factor to consider in maitaning healthy cholesterol levels (among a large number of other things). In terms of bioavailability, acetylglutathione would be optimal.

While it has not been extensively researched, and it is quite uncommon, IV NAD administration is becoming more common, and judging from a physiological perspective, it is not at all surprising that there is a vast number of anecdotal reports of people recovering from a vast array of chronic illnesses after taking on a daily IV NAD administration protocol.

Gabapentin: In terms of protecting the brain from excitotoxicity, gabapentin can help due to its calcium channel blocking properties.

Memantine is what I'm really pushing for. Gingko biloba is prescription only in my country believe it or not. It would be easy to get it over the internet though, and I bring it back when I visit another country. Melatonin is prescription only too, and thats also easy to get. The LDN, that can only be got through a GP, but it is very easy to get a prescription for that. Memantine on the other hand, I've asked 5 times for it for myself, and they said the usual "memantine is used for dementia", It bothers me a bit that the people in charge of deciding what medication you can be prescribed don't think in pharmacological terms. If I asked for acamprosate, it would be a different story.  What I wrote there, thats only about 3% of what I have planned to get him into a healthy regimen, this is just a letter for the GP. If theres anything they can help with, I should request it. The only two good prescription only substances I can think of off the top of my head are memantine and LDN. He drinks from morning until night, hes on crestor. The other medications I didn't recognise, so they are probably not very significant ones, but I'm gonna have to find that list before finishing this letter to be sure. 

I might omit the paragraph about racetams because no GP would prescribe them here, and I don't think you need a prescription for them anyway. SO the 3 things I'm focusing on are cardiovascular health, cognitive/brain health and liver health. Its all interconnected, I know that, so a holistic approach is the only way, but one step at a time. Removing lipofuscin deposits, stimulating axon/dendrite regeneration, repairing GABA receptors, protecting neurons, liver, DNA, mitochondria from oxidative stress, I know all kinds of supplements and nutrients to do that but am not aware of any prescription meds other than the two I mentioned.

Well I do know of more prescription meds that have beneficial effects, but I have to keep it within reason, if I suggest tianeptine for promoting neuroplasticity, that would backfire horribly because it has its fair share of side effects, only a really open minded doc would consider that, but its rare you find a doc that open minded unfortunately. 

I'm not asking for medical advice or anything along those lines, I just started the thread out of curiosity to find out what other prescription only meds there are out there. And also what GPs can do for you that you couldn't do yourself too easily, like the vitamin B shots etc. 

#2 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:24 PM

I'd love to know more about the long-term risks of memantine, given that it has an 80 hr half-life.  Seems like a lot of unknown risks, but maybe not an issue for someone at 86 yrs of age.  I'd still be wary of memantine as a first line of defense against dementia.  I think I'd pull out all the stops on MCT oil, Ginkgo and other areas related to energy/vascular health before directly intervening in NMDA-R.

Why do you need IV vitamins, as opposed to oral vitamins?  Does your grandmother have digestive problems?  

I've no idea how medicine is practiced in your country, but if you handed this letter to any GP in the US, they would see big red flag and signs of "legal/medical malpractice risk".  Maybe testing her blood for vitamin deficiency first (erythrocyte magnesium, etc.), before demanding IV interventions would be more useful.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 FrogWarrior

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:28 AM

Yeah MCT oil is of course on my list of supplements to help him. Better yet, high MCT concentration oil melted, with tumeric, piperine, wheat grass powder and a few other good things in there. Theres all kinds of things you can dissolve in MCT or coconut oil to vastly increase their bioavailability, but you have to just be mindful not to go overboard because it can end up tasting horrific and become hard to ingest. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to fix that though. Honey seems to fix just about everything when it comes to making it taste good but I've never tried mixing honey with fatty/oily substances.

We all have digestive problems to some degree. My granny does get diarrhea from time to time. I get IBS so I definitely have to go the extra mile and get the most bioavailable supplements possible. Theres one thing that 5 years I spent studying chemistry comes in useful for, the amount of useless crap I learned got me down, but times like this makes me feel it was worth it.

I see your point entirely about the red flag, I've been thinking carefully about this. If its an open minded, compassionate doc, then it will be okay. But a closed minded doc who only watches out for himself will reject every bit of it because it does bring a bit of risk to him. I read a thread by a GP who uses nootropics extensively himself, but he is really cautious about prescribing anything to hi s patients because stepping outside of the mainstream conventions when you're a doc, you enter dangerous territory (in terms of losing your license). Especially since there are so many people who won't take responsibility for their own health, and blame the doctor if something goes wrong rather than accept that they should be researching these things for themselves. Not everyone has the time to research, and its not everyones cup of tea either understanding supplements, health, metabolism etc.

Right now I'm writing this letter for my friends dad. My granny is a trickier one to help because she refuses blood tests, she never takes any supplements unless they are really easy to ingest and taste good. Theres much overlap, but inflammatory pain and obesity are her main problems right now, so I won't get into her situation in this thread. The only thing there is to lose here is that he'll refuse to prescribe the memantine. Everything else can be done without the aid of a GP. A functional medicine doc, this is more their territory and they do actually have the ability to write prescriptions in this country. I saw one once, and I got 3 rounds of IV myers influsion (I don't remember exactly whats in there, but its a number of water soluble vitamins and nutrients including magnesium, vitamin C and a number of B vitamins). It was expensive, but I had the option of having glutathione added to the mix. I paid the 60 for it that one time because I haven't been kind to my liver over the years. I was shocked to see how much the bottles of acetylglutathione cost 100 per bottle. So I stick to NAC and various other cheap ways to boost my glutathione levels. Theres a reason that you never see cysteine on the shelves, its always N-acetylcysteine. I'm speculating, but I can take a reasonable guess and say its because cysteine has terrible bioavailability. I'm sure there are for more bioavailable forms of cysteine out there. This is one area my chemistry knowledge really comes in useful. But anyhow, IV administration has the benefit that you feel immediate effects. The magnesium literally makes your face and your ass get really hot because your blood vessels dilate so fast. People suffering from B12 or B6 deficiency will feel that immediately.

Maybe I'll cut out most of the letter and just request the memantine and an extensive blood test (often times you have to specifically request them to test things that other GPs would test for by default, what would be useful is a webpage that with a big list of all of the things you can add to a standard blood test so that you can request all of it when you see the GP. If you assume the doc will cover it, you can end up disappointed. When I had a blood test done for chronic fatigue, the doc left out testosterone. I wonder if theres a thread on this forum that covers standard blood tests?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

These posts are really long.  If you are looking for constructive input, I suggest you make them shorter and to the point.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: medication, nootropics, elderly care, cardiovascular health, healing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users