• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

ALA vs Tocotrienols vs oils (red plam, rice bran) vs resveratrol vs ???

diabetes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:01 AM

I'm diabetic, with high blood pressure, high blood sugar, neuropathy, digestive issues, tingling and pain around eyebrow, ear pain as well - rosacea, utarrica (if i dont take black seed) and have an diagonal ear crease.

I would like to know what is the best picks for my conditions price/performance

I feel that the ALA (Na-RALA) is less powerful compared to tocotrienol (personally i think is the single most potent ingredient for diabetics) but i have never treid resveratrol, is it even better? how about some synergies? should i try leaving out ALA, since it get quite expensive with everything else i take.

What can i add for cholesterol/atherosclerosis ? im missing something? any studies comparing rice bran vs red plam oil, and vs toco sorb - caps?

Edited by dazed1, 09 July 2017 - 02:02 AM.

#2 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:21 AM

"I feel that the ALA (Na-RALA) is less powerful compared to tocotrienol'

What is this based on?  What effects are you stating tocotrienol has?

Diet and regular testing your blood sugar are vital.  What is your A1c?

What is your full regimen?

Edited by Benko, 09 July 2017 - 02:45 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 dazed1

• Topic Starter
  • 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

"I feel that the ALA (Na-RALA) is less powerful compared to tocotrienol'

What is this based on?  What effects are you stating tocotrienol has?

Diet and regular testing your blood sugar are vital.  What is your A1c?

What is your full regimen?

Its based on my feeling, i have pain and pressure in my hands, same as in my legs - neuropathy, after just 2-3 doses of tocotrienol, the pain is gone or reduced like 70% or more. ALA alone cant do this, and when it does it last only 1-2h max, then im back almost to the level like before.

I used all of my test strips, in general my bs is around 9 when i eat bad, or high sugar meals (even fruits) i got some blue veins on my legs as well, PAD i think.

Tocotrienols also makes my skin and hair amazing, and i sleep much better - (they kill inflamation, im a kind of guy who cant stand any issues during sleep or i will wake non stop) with toco's i can sleep very deeply. From everything i used till know they are most powerful, but i havent used resveratrol yet.

I take selenium 200mcg 1x per 2-3 days, iodine 220 mcg per day, zinv 1x per 2 days 30 mg, magnesium and taurine around 200-400mg mag, and 1500 mg taurine per day, and active b complex 1x per 2 days generally. I also take kyolic garlic.

Edited by dazed1, 09 July 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#4 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

I helped someone completely get rid of neuropathy and that was a decade or more ago, so it is likely you'll be able to get rid of your neuropathy.

Looks like tocotrienols activate PPAR (Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors):

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/19866471

Certainly a good find, and if it works for you, great.  What product and brand and what dose are you taking?

"From everything i used till know they are most powerful"

I'd be careful thinking this way.  Different items for different purposes.  

Lipoic acid is a mitochondrial antioxidant and everyone should be taking it (at least everyone over 40 and certainly all diabetics).  I'm not sure why it matters if one item is able to totally get rid of your neuropathy, as long as you get rid of it.  

If the lipoic acid + tocotrienols doesn't get rid of the neuropathy, I'll add benfotiamine and or GLA (gamma lineolic acid found in evening primorose oil/borage oil/black currant seed oil).

The more important thing about blood sugar is what it is after an overnight fast.  Even better is a blood test called Hb A1C hemoglobin A1C which is an indicator of your blood sugar over time.  hB A1C is used in the US where I am.  I don't know if it or some other indicator is used where you are.

Diet is obviously super important and more than I can really go into in detail, but I would try and get healthy fats e.g. avocado/good olive oil and cut way down on simple carbs/sugars.

Edited by Benko, 09 July 2017 - 06:23 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#5 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

PS don't forget exercise:  regular aerobic exercise with intervals e.g. 5 times per week and 1-2 x per week weightlifting if your physical condition permits e.g. squats, deadlifts, etc (again if you can physically and know the technique or can find someone to teach you the technique).

• Good Point x 1

#6 dazed1

• Topic Starter
  • 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:10 AM

Thanks. Yes i know that everything works differently, but my current issue is mostly blood pressure/blood sugar, my diet was very bad last 2 months, now im getting on right track.

I take b6/b12/folate in sublingual form as well, jarrows - the methyl version. I also exercises almost every day medium intensity, and i feel my leg pain is improving.

What would be the additional top supplements for me, ALA  + Toco and 2 more antioxidants, should it be resveratrol or coq10, and in what forms?

#7 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:17 AM

In addition to ALA + tocotrienols:

of the 3 choices below, I'm most certain choice B (Amla) will benefit you.  I don't have any personal experience either taking or recommending resveratrol (but see below).  Practitioners I know recommend coenzyme Q-10 for diabetics and I take it (noticed significant difference in endurance) but I can't defend it and it is not cheap.  Your call.

I really would appreciate knowing which brand and product of tocotrienols you are taking so i can recommend it to diabetics I know.  

A. RESVERATROL: I don't have any personal experience either taking or recommending resveratrol   

examine.com notes:   The lower end of supplementation tends to be for cardiovascular health, insulin sensitivity, and longevity for somebody who is otherwise unhealthy is 5-10mg daily. 

so perhaps you can get a low dose of this cheap. 

B. AMLA You likely have not heard of it, but I'd suggest a teaspoon of an ayurvedic herb called amla aka Indian gooseberry AKA Emblica officinalis/Phyllanica emblica

Very little taste and no side effects.  Indian products are often contaminated so buy from a place that has good quality control and tests for e.g. heavy metals.  See research here:

https://examine.com/...ca-officinalis/

In a study of 32 people in only a coupla weeks it improved both blood glucose and lipid profile (study linked at examine.com)

c.  Co-Q-10 Selections above are what I have research to back up.  This is more what I know practitioners use and have used myself and hunch.  If I were in your situation I'd take 200 mg coenzyme q-10.  Must be in a capsule with fat i.e. do not buy supp as dry powder in a capsule.  I personally take ubiquinol but I'm not sure it makes that much difference just just get uinol.  

Edited by Benko, 10 July 2017 - 01:17 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#8 dazed1

• Topic Starter
  • 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:25 AM

Thanks for your great answer!

I use this 2 products,

https://www.iherb.co...60-Softgels/137

https://www.iherb.co...-Softgels/56807

Both equally effective, especially for blood sugar/blood pressure/carpal tunnel, skin also gets fantastic during on them. I was using coq10, but sadly i got issues with black pepper, it raises my BP and makes me feel sweaty - heat, same goes for the ginger sadly.

I will look into AMLA, thanks my friend

I also take clove powder, rosemary (very little since it raises BP as well) cumin, cinnamon black seed and turmeric, all of them are amazing, but i ruined my diet latley so i want to come back strong at the level i was before. Any idea for affordable Coq10?

#9 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:33 AM

Thanks for the info.  Jarrow is an excellent company and prefer it when I can..  I do take a doctor's best product (Fisetin) as there are not many alternative brands.  I vaguely remember hearing that there were some doctor's best issues and consumer's lab found that Doctor's best coenzyme Q-10 100 mg only contained 78 mg.

"I was using coq10, but sadly i got issues with black pepper"

No idea why co q-10 supp would contain black pepper.  It is not needed. Also it mucks with P450 enzymes and affects lots and lots of things. I'd avoid piperine/black pepper if you can.  It is helpful with curcumin, but there are now other ways to fix curcumin absorption (see examine.com).

I do need to correct one thing:  Per consumerlab.com  200mg of ubiquinol raised blood levels 72% more than  200mg of ubiquinone

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/27128225

I can't find much difference in price for the product you want, so I'd just get the jarrow:

https://www.iherb.co...-Softgels/36529

$20 (US) per month for 200mg.Just take 100 mg if that is what you can afford.  Oh and Co Q-10 may actually lower your BP.

"same goes for the ginger sadly."

You may want to evaluate whether these cause similar problems:  garlic, cumin, cinnamon, clove.  Also, tumeric

• Good Point x 1

#10 dazed1

• Topic Starter
  • 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the info.  Jarrow is an excellent company and prefer it when I can..  I do take a doctor's best product (Fisetin) as there are not many alternative brands.  I vaguely remember hearing that there were some doctor's best issues and consumer's lab found that Doctor's best coenzyme Q-10 100 mg only contained 78 mg.

"I was using coq10, but sadly i got issues with black pepper"

No idea why co q-10 supp would contain black pepper.  It is not needed. Also it mucks with P450 enzymes and affects lots and lots of things. I'd avoid piperine/black pepper if you can.  It is helpful with curcumin, but there are now other ways to fix curcumin absorption (see examine.com).

I do need to correct one thing:  Per consumerlab.com  200mg of ubiquinol raised blood levels 72% more than  200mg of ubiquinone

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/27128225

I can't find much difference in price for the product you want, so I'd just get the jarrow:

https://www.iherb.co...-Softgels/36529

$20 (US) per month for 200mg.Just take 100 mg if that is what you can afford.  Oh and Co Q-10 may actually lower your BP.

"same goes for the ginger sadly."

You may want to evaluate whether these cause similar problems:  garlic, cumin, cinnamon, clove.  Also, tumeric

Clove is less of an issues regarding BP, rosemary, ginger, are the main culprit. Cinnamon, turmeric and garlic decrease it for sure.

Will take a look in ubq for sure, thanks so much!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diabetes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users