Best way to make kale powder

kale oxalic acid anti-nutrients goitrogens powdered kale

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FrogWarrior

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:31 PM

I've started getting fresh kale and other super vegetables straight from the farmer, and in order to store them while keeping their nutrients intact, I'm thinking dehydrating and powdering them is the way to go. I've been reading about kale, and read about a few potential issues.

1.) Kale has lots of oxalic acid which is a bit of an anti-nutrient since it binds to minerals like magnesium and calcium and forms an oxalate complex which has pretty bad bioavailability. So I'm thinking the best way to solve this is to neutralise the oxalic acid. To do this, I'd put the raw kale in a blender, then add milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide), so the oxalic acid will react with the magnesium hydroxide and be neutralised.

2.) Raw kale supposedly contains "goitrogens". Compounds which inhibit thyroid function. I don't know what these goitrogens are but I read that with cruciferous vegetables, they are isothiocyanates which are easily destroyed by heat. Cooking kale would also destroy the enzymes, so I'd prefer to neutralise the goitrogens in another way if possible. I know isothiocyanates are pretty unstable, so maybe it would only require really low temperatures to break them down. Also, isothiocyanates, being unstable as they are, are pretty reactive, so there are likely plenty of things you can add which will react with them and convert them into safe, non toxic compounds. I haven't researched this much yet.

Does this sound like a good approach to making powdered kale?

Blending the raw hydrated kale with milk of magnesia in a nutribullet, then adding the blended kale to a baking dish and leaving it in the over at a really low temperature with the fan on for a few hours. Is there anything wrong with this approach that I am not taking into consideration?

• Informative x 1

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:40 PM

Interesting reasoning on improving your home-made powdered kale, however, I wonder if there is any research that suggests a certain level of oxylates or goitrogens produces negative health outcomes.

I just dry my raw kale in a food dehydrator. The Amercian Nesco brand is my favorite because you can set different temperatures. The lowest is 95 F. That is the temperature I dry my kale at.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kale, oxalic acid, anti-nutrients, goitrogens, powdered kale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users