- - - - -

Lifelong mental inactivity

inactivity sct

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hscnln

• 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:45 AM

For as long as I can remember, I have suffered with mental blankness, mental fatigue, brain fog, concentration inability, sluggish cognitive tempo, whatever you want to call it. I know others have posted about similar problems, but I haven't seen any that correspond to my case. Most of them posted about their symptoms occurring after a certain point, usually after drug usage. My symptoms have lasted for as long as I can remember (most of my life). They might have gotten gradually worse over time, but I can't really tell.

If it's significant, I also have:
  • Asthma
  • Visual snow
  • Cold hands and feet
  • Ear pressure
  • Reduction of symptoms at night (circadian rhythm issues?)
  • Lack of emotional capacity and lack of capacity for internal experience in general
  • I rarely know when I am hungry/thirsty (for hunger this improves after exercise)

I have never been exposed to alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, or any other potentially problematic drugs (as far as I know).

Something else that may be significant, during exposure to sensory stimulation (music, looking outside the window of a moving vehicle), my concentration ability doesn't increase, but my mental blankness and creativity improve. After the exposure though, I become more fatigued than before.

I tested positive on the Deamidated Gliadin Peptide IgA and Tissue Transglutaminase Antibodies for celiac disease, but negative for the EMA (anti-endomysial antibody) test. I tried a gluten-free diet for a few weeks, but didn't notice any improvement.

I am heterozygous for the MTHFR mutation (might be significant), and while my TSH and free T4 are in normal range, I have elevated thyroid antibodies (whatever that means).

I doubt depression could be the issue, because I always try to remain positive.

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers advice.

#2 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:21 PM

You sound a lot like me - I have SCT as well.

There's a few difference though - the flat emotional affect you describe is not a feature I, or many other SCT-ers have - that could imply a few other things:

Schizophrenia

Autism

Depersonalisation/Derealisation

My money is on DP/DR myself - there are people mentioned to have DP/DR which also display more attentive issues than the majority of DP/DR -people - these might be people whom have DP/DR as well as SCT. These Inattentive DP/DR-ers have been noted to be helped by MODAFINIL, which is somewhat different from the regular DP/DR-ers. Modafinil also happens to be one of the drugs which are very helpful for many with just SCT

Tell me, do you have any unconventional beliefs? Do you believe the Earth is flat, or in the paranormal, or that there are conspiracies by the government - that sort of thing? Reason I'm asking, is because I'm trying to rule out a possible diagnosis of Schizophrenia Simplex - the least affected form of Schizo on the Schizo-spectrum (yes, schizophrenia is in fact many diseases, closely related - a spectrum, much like autism). People with low-yield Schizo can be nearly normal, mostly having cognitive symptoms, which are very similar to SCT.

Otherwise, it sounds like you definitively have a form of Neuro-developmental disorder - contact your nearest Private Doctor or Psychiatric Health Center and ask for an evaluation - describe your symptoms, and that you think you may have some form of "ADHD".

BTW, as for which drugs might be worth a look, I recommend the following, based on what little we know about SCT:

Reboxetine (NRI, antidepressant, which increases the activity of Norepinephrine, the neurotransmitter believed to be the prime culprit in SCT)

Modafinil (wakefulness-enhancer - complex mechanism, increases the activity of histamine, dopamine, norepinephrine and glutamate)

And... if you actually get an ADHD-PI diagnosis... otherwise I would stay away, since it's kind of dangerous...

LevoDextroAmphetamine (stimulant, the classic drug of abuse - available in the brand Evekeo in the USA - it's important that it's LEVOamphetamine, because Levo-Amp has greater affinity for Norepinephrine)

And possibly, but not as clearly:

Intuniv (Guanfacine XR) (an Alpha-2a-agonist - blood-pressure medication, it directly affects a specific type of Norepinephrinergic receptor, will most likely be sedating at first, possibly later activating)

I would stress that you DON'T use any medication before you have a diagnosis - there's no telling what could go wrong if it turns out you have Autism, Schizophrenia or DP/DR instead of SCT - your response to these meds' will be greatly different, if that's the case - some of the responses could be... lethal.

But yeah, try and get a diagnosis asap!

Oh and btw, I'd go with Modafinil as your first drug - and if your Dr. wants you to try Ritalin or Vyvanse, then tell him to shove it up his @$$ - those drugs are ineffective against SCT, because they mostly affect DOPAMINE - and SCT is related to Norepinephrine.

EDIT:

PS: SCT makes it impossible for me to provide the necessary sources... : [ I'll try and provide them later, but I just CAN'T at the moment! All I can say is this: trust me on this, you will easily find verification of my claims if you google for a bit.

Check out Russell Barkley on Youtube and elsewhere, his lectures are great on this subject. Google my screen-name, SCT and Longecity, and you should find some of my previous, sourced posts on the subject.

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 16 July 2017 - 12:23 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 MichaelTheAnhedonic

• 179 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:45 PM

There's a few difference though - the flat emotional affect you describe is not a feature I, or many other SCT-ers have - that could imply a few other things:

Schizophrenia

Autism

My money is on DP/DR myself - there are people mentioned to have DP/DR which also display more attentive issues than the majority of DP/DR -people - these might be people whom have DP/DR as well as SCT. These Inattentive DP/DR-ers have been noted to be helped by MODAFINIL, which is somewhat different from the regular DP/DR-ers. Modafinil also happens to be one of the drugs which are very helpful for many with just SCT

Tell me, do you have any unconventional beliefs? Do you believe the Earth is flat, or in the paranormal, or that there are conspiracies by the government - that sort of thing? Reason I'm asking, is because I'm trying to rule out a possible diagnosis of Schizophrenia Simplex - the least affected form of Schizo on the Schizo-spectrum (yes, schizophrenia is in fact many diseases, closely related - a spectrum, much like autism). People with low-yield Schizo can be nearly normal, mostly having cognitive symptoms, which are very similar to SCT.

Otherwise, it sounds like you definitively have a form of Neuro-developmental disorder - contact your nearest Private Doctor or Psychiatric Health Center and ask for an evaluation - describe your symptoms, and that you think you may have some form of "ADHD".

BTW, as for which drugs might be worth a look, I recommend the following, based on what little we know about SCT:

Reboxetine (NRI, antidepressant, which increases the activity of Norepinephrine, the neurotransmitter believed to be the prime culprit in SCT)

Modafinil (wakefulness-enhancer - complex mechanism, increases the activity of histamine, dopamine, norepinephrine and glutamate)

And... if you actually get an ADHD-PI diagnosis... otherwise I would stay away, since it's kind of dangerous...

LevoDextroAmphetamine (stimulant, the classic drug of abuse - available in the brand Evekeo in the USA - it's important that it's LEVOamphetamine, because Levo-Amp has greater affinity for Norepinephrine)

Intuniv (Guanfacine XR) (an Alpha-2a-agonist - blood-pressure medication, it directly affects a specific type of Norepinephrinergic receptor, will most likely be sedating at first, possibly later activating)

I would stress that you DON'T use any medication before you have a diagnosis - there's no telling what could go wrong if it turns out you have Autism, Schizophrenia or DP/DR instead of SCT - your response to these meds' will be greatly different, if that's the case - some of the responses could be... lethal.

Oh and btw, I'd go with Modafinil as your first drug - and if your Dr. wants you to try Ritalin or Vyvanse, then tell him to shove it up his @$$ - those drugs are ineffective against SCT, because they mostly affect DOPAMINE - and SCT is related to Norepinephrine.

EDIT:

PS: SCT makes it impossible for me to provide the necessary sources... : [ I'll try and provide them later, but I just CAN'T at the moment! All I can say is this: trust me on this, you will easily find verification of my claims if you google for a bit.

Check out Russell Barkley on Youtube and elsewhere, his lectures are great on this subject. Google my screen-name, SCT and Longecity, and you should find some of my previous, sourced posts on the subject.

I probably have Simple Schizo but I don't have any weird beliefs... I know that these weird beliefs are in schizoid personality disorder.

#4 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:11 PM

Schizophrenia

Autism

EDIT:

I probably have Simple Schizo but I don't have any weird beliefs... I know that these weird beliefs are in schizoid personality disorder.

Actually, you're right - that was an egregious error of mine.

Schizophrenia Simplex is supposed to be MERELY the cognitive aspects of Schizo - not the "magic thinking" part.

But apparently Schizoid isn't necessarily the weird beliefs type either, but rather, the flat affect, sort of antisocial parts of Schizo. Although there does appear to be the "living in a dream-world" type thing going, most Schizoidals can apparently more or less discern what is real and what is not.

I apologize to everyone for my misinformation - I shall try to be double-check my facts more before I post about such things in the future.

Interesting note question btw... are there people whom do not qualify for a diagnosis of Schizophrenia, but whom display features of all three of the "lesser schizophrenic" diagnoses? I know Schizophreniform Disorder is a real thing, but that pertains to a state wherein the symptoms comes and goes, but I'm thinking more of a permanent state - but with all of the symptoms, just not enough to qualify for real Schizo'.

I imagine this MUST be the case, since Schizophrenia is being classified more and more like a spectrum-disorder.

Anybody know someone, who knows someone, who has all three diagnoses? Simplex, Schizotypal and Schizoidal? I wonder what such a person is like...

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 16 July 2017 - 08:12 PM.

#5 hscnln

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:26 PM

the flat emotional affect you describe is not a feature I, or many other SCT-ers have

Well, I assumed it was because SCTers have less mental activity and emotions are mental activity. Also this post: https://www.reddit.c...ional_capacity/

And something that I forgot to mention: I know the emotions exist because they influence my behavior, but I don't feel them on the inside. In situations where it is plausible for me to have a certain emotion, other people sometimes comment that I appear happy/upset, but I don't feel the actual emotion. Sometimes, I do have recognizable emotions, but they are vague and hard to notice. Could it be that my level of awareness is so low that I don't notice my own emotions?

My money is on DP/DR myself - there are people mentioned to have DP/DR which also display more attentive issues than the majority of DP/DR -people - these might be people whom have DP/DR as well as SCT.

I do have a "feeling of unreality", but that is probably just caused by lack of awareness. I'm probably wrong, but my understanding is you can only get DP/DR through drug use or extreme anxiety, neither of which apply to me.

Do you believe the Earth is flat?

I'm not sure if I actually believed flat earth theory or if I just "enjoyed" thinking about it as if it were true. I don't think low-yield Schizo can be ruled out.

Is is possible to have a developmental disorder that reduces mental activity to an abnormal level without lowering intelligence below average? I was evaluated before and was high above average in everything except for processing speed, which was average.

Also, why are there so many SCT "geniuses"? https://www.reddit.c...t_intelligence/

About medication: Could it be possible that there is an underlying health problem causing the SCT symptoms? https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23269197. In that case, medication would only be a temporary solution.

Thanks for replying!

#6 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

1. Well, I assumed it was because SCTers have less mental activity and emotions are mental activity. Also this post: https://www.reddit.c...ional_capacity/

And something that I forgot to mention: I know the emotions exist because they influence my behavior, but I don't feel them on the inside. In situations where it is plausible for me to have a certain emotion, other people sometimes comment that I appear happy/upset, but I don't feel the actual emotion. Sometimes, I do have recognizable emotions, but they are vague and hard to notice. Could it be that my level of awareness is so low that I don't notice my own emotions?

2. I do have a "feeling of unreality", but that is probably just caused by lack of awareness. I'm probably wrong, but my understanding is you can only get DP/DR through drug use or extreme anxiety, neither of which apply to me.

3. I'm not sure if I actually believed flat earth theory or if I just "enjoyed" thinking about it as if it were true. I don't think low-yield Schizo can be ruled out.

4. Is it possible to have a developmental disorder that reduces mental activity to an abnormal level without lowering intelligence below average? I was evaluated before and was high above average in everything except for processing speed, which was average.

Also, why are there so many SCT "geniuses"? https://www.reddit.c...t_intelligence/

About medication: Could it be possible that there is an underlying health problem causing the SCT symptoms? https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23269197. In that case, medication would only be a temporary solution.

Thanks for replying!

1. What you're describing here is very much so something similar to DP/DR - a form of disconnect between various aspects of your personality, emotions and perception.

What the people in the reddit-post seems to describe is not as clear... it seems to me as if they are describing being somewhat emotionally subdued, and slightly depressed - Dysthymia, as it's called. I have period of this as well, when things aren't looking so good, when my SCT-symptoms become a bit too much - but I always come back from it.

It should be mentioned, that Prof. Barkley has statistical data showing that depression and depressive symptoms are a far more common comorbid diagnosis in SCT than among neurotypicals - possibly somewhat higher than among the ADHD-ers as well.

No, your awareness would not be so low - it's more likely you have something else as well, interfering with your emotions.

2. It is not clear what causes DP/DR - although anxious depression and drug-abuse are the two known states to seemingly trigger it, the etiology, the cause, is not clear. There are cases wherein none of the above seems to precipitate it, they are simply rarer.

3. Indeed. There are multiple neurodevelopmental diseases which could give similar traits.

If it turns out that you have something like Schiz, then, I would suggest you try BREXpiprazole! : ) It's the first SDAM - Serotonin Dopamine Activity Modulator (well, possibly the second, after aripiprazole) a compound used for treating Schiz, but which may have several other uses.

It's also the first officially approved antipsychotic for the treatment of Major Depression - it was also, because of its semi-stimulating properties, trialled for the treatment of ADHD, but ultimately it did not show as high of an efficacy as the other treatments available, so it was scrapped for that patient-group.

There is a fellow whom was in the trial-group for Brex, and he had similar ADHD-PI symptoms, but was possibly in reality some kind of Schiz, and hence, had such GREAT results from it, that it made him cry with joy.

4. Yes.

SCT, Idiopathic Hypersomnia, Narcolepsy and possibly something called "Low Processing Speed" - a concept, much like SCT, but wherein the patients don't have attentive problems, but are merely slow - fairly debated at the moment, as to what it is and if it's even a thing.

And yes, it's possible that there is an underlying physical condition which causes similar symptoms - the most common and easy to test for are these:

Hypothyroid

Lyme disease

Lack of minerals, most commonly:
Iron Deficiency

I've been tested for all of them, and everything came up just roses - it should be noted, these were only tested for, because I demanded and nagged my Dr's about it.

There is one more, which should be fairly easy to test for, but which often have a complex and difficult to understand reason:

Hypocortisolism

Wherein your body produces too little of the stress-hormone Cortisol. However, since I got occupational burnout, which is caused by hyper-exposure of the brain to cortisol, I didn't figure there was a need to test this... Maybe I should, just to see if my cortisol is normal these days.

BTW... when it comes to intelligence, my mind is similar to yours, I place fairly high up, among the clever ones too, but have issues with processing speed, as well as with basic arithmetic. (comorbid Dyscalculia - statistically more common among SCT-ers according to Barkley -interesting note is that DysLEXia, a related disease, is more common among ADHD-ers, but NOT dyscalculia)

If I was to guess why there are some people online with seemingly above average intelligence and SCT-symptoms, then my best guess is that it's nothing but coincidence - the ones with SCT whom would be intelligent enough to deduce that there is a problem, and what the symptoms correlate to, and then start researching cognition and neurology, to find an answer, just so happen to be intelligent.

Still, get yourself signed up for an evaluation, and then get yourself tested for Iron Deficiency, Hypothyroidism, and Lyme's Disease - then you can at least cross off a couple of things.

And you're welcome! =) I wish someone had told me more about these issues when I first started looking into it.

#7 hscnln

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

Can I have a source on inattentive DP/DR and how Modafinil helps for it? Searching didn't yield anything for me.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#8 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:08 PM

Can I have a source on inattentive DP/DR and how Modafinil helps for it? Searching didn't yield anything for me.

Well, there's not much... all there is, is a Dr. which apparently specializes in DP/DR which claims that it helps some of his patients. : O There is... SOME logic to it - since Modafinil apparently also affects the glutamatergic systems.

Feeling Unreal: Depersonalization Disorder and the Loss of the Self - pg. 161

http://bit.ly/2veIOdL

High Resolution Mapping of Modafinil Induced Changes in Glutamate Level in Rat Brain

http://journals.plos...al.pone.0103154

Thinking about it closer though... this may not be a good thing - because isn't GLUTAMATE-STORMING, as an over-zealous response-mechanism from the brain, when exposed to high amounts of NMDA-antagonism, one of the proposed mechanisms behind getting DP/DR?? : O

So yeah, gotta' admit... that one is pretty thin, but, that's what some of the Doc's seem to think.

BUT...! Since there's so little research on DP/DR and treatments, I figured I might as well mention it, throw something other than SSRI's or Lamotrigine out there. Another compound that I myself theorize could have some effect is Tianeptine, since it, similar to Lamotrigine, modulates glutamate activity - and lo and behold, I just went and checked, and apparently DP/DR IS NOT A SIDE-EFFECT OF TIANEPTINE!! :D

This is really good, since that makes it less likely to make the condition worse, at least. : )

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inactivity, sct

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users