• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sodraguy

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:25 PM

Hi guys,

I did a blood test and got the following results:

• Red blood cells : 4.35 T/L (ref interval: 4.5 to 5.5 T/L)
  • Hematocrit : 39,6% (ref interval: 40 to 54%)
  • Thrombocyte : 145 G/L (ref interval : 150 to 350 G/L)

I got these below normal results since the last 5 years. Even so it is a not a big deficiency, I would like to correct it. What do you advise me to do or take ?

Thanks,

Sodraguy

#2 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:42 PM

The "normal range" listed for any lab test is just a bell curve with 2 standard deviations (if I recall correctly) listed as the high and low limits of normal. Meaning a small percentage of normal people will test outside those limits.

While anything is possible, given the stability over 5 years, it is likely that is normal for you and nothing to worry about.

Edited by Benko, 21 July 2017 - 12:43 PM.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:50 PM

Check for b12, folate and iron deficiencies.

• Disagree x 1

#4 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:05 AM

Look at the labwork.  There should be a value MCV*--mean corpuscular volume i.e size of red cells.  If MCV is low that could be iron deficiency anemia (most commonly, there are other less common possibilities). If it is high that would raise the possibility of B12 or folic acid deficiency (again, there are other less common possibilities).

If the MCV is normal i.e. normochromic/normocytic anemia, the most common causes are liver disease and alcohol excess--not things I would expect to encounter in (assuming that pic is you) a young male on a board such as this.  Don't believe me, google normochromic normocytic anemia.

Young men basically don't get iron deficiency anemia, and unless you are vegetarian and not taking B12, that is unlikely as well.

Bottom line: most practitioners looking at those labs values in a young male would tell you not to worry (if a doctor ordered those what did they tell you?) but by all means, get tested (certainly get tested if your MCV is abnormally high or low).

Let me know what you discover.

*standard blood tests in the US that report hemoglobin  include RBC, hematocrit, platelet, MCV, and a few other ones.  I can't imagine MCV not being included, but I don't know for sure what blood tests in your country include.

Edited by Benko, 24 July 2017 - 01:09 AM.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: red blood cells, hematocrit, thrombocyte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users