How to recover clumpy/wet alpha GPC choline

alpha gpc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TehGymReaper

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:27 AM

I live in a very humid climate. I bought some alpha GPC but was concerned about clumping, so I asked the vendor to package it in small 15g plastic tubs, each with an individual silica gel satchet.

The powder arrived in perfect, free-flowing condition, but two weeks on and one of the tubs is nothing more than a gooey mess and the rest are showing lumps.

Capsuling is now nearly impossible and the weight/volume ratio will be off due to the absorbed moisture. I have added more silica gel satchets but I don't think this is going to be enough to save it.

Does anyone have any hints or tips to recover this rather expensive choline? 

I was thinking to try putting it in a non-stick pan over a low heat. Obviously I have concerns about this but am not sure what else to do.

#2 Oakman

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

Whenever I mix dry ingredients, I use a small blender (Magic Bullet) with its smallest bowl (about a cup) to mix ingredients. Some ingredients clump badly, but this process turns all into a fine mixed powder. You might try putting the wet mass in an oven at a low temperature (~40/50 deg C say, as melting point is ~90 deg C) for a considerable time to remove as much water as possible before breaking it up into smaller pieces and using the blender. Then seal it in a jar with desiccant. 

I just bought some powder, but haven't opened it yet. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be careful using it and try keeping it dry.

From Wikipedia...

"Many users report degradation of alpha-GPC when stored openly or for long periods of time. Alpha-GPC is hygroscopic and will pull moisture in from the surrounding air. This will cause the powder to turn into what appears to be a gel. Alpha-GPC with >99% purity will undergo this process at a visible rate (seconds to minutes) and thus requires minimized exposure to the air. This hygroscopic quality can cause gel capsules not fully packed with alpha-GPC to dissolve. Proper storage methods need to be used with alpha-GPC and include removing all air from the container, double bagging with plastic bags rated for chemicals (less likely to leak air), and storing bulk/excess inside the freezer. Vacuum sealed bags are highly recommended. For people accessing alpha-GPC daily it is advisable to separate a month's supply from excess and storing the excess as best as possible. Vacuum sealing a large supply into many 1 month dividends is a method positively reported by many users. It is important to note that hygroscopy is not degradation and leaves the substance still usable, however, the ability to accurately weigh a dose is no longer possible as the substance being weighed will be a mixture of powder and water. Liquefied or gelled alpha-GPC may also be indicative of poor storage and thus have an increased likelihood of actual degradation."

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TehGymReaper

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

Thanks man - I was curious so I tried both using a lot of desiccant sachets and then also put a bit in a Teflon pan to see what would happen. Neither method worked and the results were unexpected to say the least. I used this bit of very clumpy stuff here - [Clumpy alpha GPC](http://i.imgur.com/r4DU6NA.jpg)

After a couple of hours in a sealed tub the silica sachets were sopping wet where they were touching the powder. See here - [Wet sticky sachets](http://i.imgur.com/fyLl45A.jpg). The sachets seemed to make it worse if anything.

I took the remainder of that tub and shoved it into a clean dry non-stick pan, where it appeared to *melt* into a sticky white liquid, a bit like icing - [Alpha GPC in pan](http://i.imgur.com/O8c65MW.jpg).

It was odd because the melting temperature is around 143°C - it was almost as though heating it **increased** its hydroscopic properties.

The other tubs weren't so bad, I was able to mix them up with piracetam and filler using a pestle and mortar and capsulate the resulting powder. I will keep all future batches in the fridge as apparently that is where you get the lowest humidity.

#4 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

disperse it into a container of rice during a dry summer week... shake it to the bottom, collect, and freeze in a mason jar. 

note: not suggested in case of rice allergy

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

That's why I buy the 50% powder with Silicon dioxide.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alpha gpc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users