• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How to cure Anhedonia/Emotional Numbness guide

anhedonia no emotions treatments cure emotional numbness how to cure anhedonia emotionally numb

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

Jesus OP.. it would be sufficient to only mention the receptors or neurotransmitters known to blunt emotions or be necessary for emotions. Of them are dopamine, noradrenaline, serotonin, opioid, gaba, and possibly more.

The prime causes of blunted affect or flat affect are excessive opioid or gaba activation. A deficiency of glutamate activity can cause flat and blunted affect (creatine does this via depleting glutamate). Also serotonin is known to cause blunted and flat affect via the 5ht2a receptor and potentially more mechanisms.

Drugs that increase noradrenaline like male hormones also induce a degree of flatness.

Flat affect is the most severe of the affective dysfunctions, blunted precedes it I think, and so on. You can read on Wikipedia about this.

• Ill informed x 1

#32 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

5HT2A receptor actually is highly effective for anhedonia as it increases da release and does other things, that's why psychedelics in threshold doses work for anhedonia, depression or anxiety, but activation of other neurotransmitters is involved too, that one they all act on tough.

5ht2a blockade can actually cause anhedonia(look at mirtazapine, trazodone, atypical aps) sure theres that book written by that pdoc that has spread that myth that 5ht2a is a bad anti dopaminergic receptor, sure aps increase da in the pfc, but that's caused by activation of 5ht2a and 5ht2c blockade if I remember correctly.

Offcourse it also depends on the type of depression,melancholic depression is alleviated by 5ht2a antagonism, and in that sense depression relief can cause anhedonia relief, that doesn't make 5ht2a a "evil" receptor, the brain is far more complicated then that, bloody hell that receptor does opposite things with dopamine in 1000 differened brainareas, the brain isn't just a simple straightforward organ>

5HT2A receptor actually is highly effective for anhedonia as it increases da release and does other things, that's why psychedelics in threshold doses work for anhedonia, depression or anxiety, but activation of other neurotransmitters is involved too, that one they all act on tough.

5ht2a blockade can actually cause anhedonia(look at mirtazapine, trazodone, atypical aps) sure theres that book written by that pdoc that has spread that myth that 5ht2a is a bad anti dopaminergic receptor, sure aps increase da in the pfc, but that's caused by activation of 5ht2a and 5ht2c blockade if I remember correctly.

Offcourse it also depends on the type of depression,melancholic depression is alleviated by 5ht2a antagonism, and in that sense depression relief can cause anhedonia relief, that doesn't make 5ht2a a "evil" receptor, the brain is far more complicated then that, bloody hell that receptor does opposite things with dopamine in 1000 differened brainareas, the brain isn't just a simple straightforward organ>

Jesus OP.. it would be sufficient to only mention the receptors or neurotransmitters known to blunt emotions or be necessary for emotions. Of them are dopamine, noradrenaline, serotonin, opioid, gaba, and possibly more.

The prime causes of blunted affect or flat affect are excessive opioid or gaba activation. A deficiency of glutamate activity can cause flat and blunted affect (creatine does this via depleting glutamate). Also serotonin is known to cause blunted and flat affect via the 5ht2a receptor and potentially more mechanisms.

Drugs that increase noradrenaline like male hormones also induce a degree of flatness.

Flat affect is the most severe of the affective dysfunctions, blunted precedes it I think, and so on. You can read on Wikipedia about this.

Ginseng is slightly effective for flat effect in shizo, and tada its a 5ht2a agonist.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#33 MichaelTheAnhedonic

• 179 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:16 PM

Just a little update: I'll be diagnosed with simple schizophrenia soon... And to all of that I've developed Hashimoto's thyroiditis. FML

• Enjoying the show x 1

#34 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:20 PM

Just a little update: I'll be diagnosed with simple schizophrenia soon... And to all of that I've developed Hashimoto's thyroiditis. FML

I was going to give you a thumbs up for getting Simple Schiz diagnose - I mean, you FIT the bill! Having it paper helps your Dr. in finding the right treatment for you, and gives you rights to disability-assistance and so forth - but alas, I'm saddened to hear that you've got Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. : (

Hmm... might want to start a thread regarding Hashimoto's, yes? In another part of the forum - so you can get to the bottom of that - really sink your teeth into it, and start figuring some stuff out - there MUST be SOMEthing that can be done about that!

(below is written a rather bad attempt at comedy:)

As for Simple Schiz: if it was up to me, I would, as always, hunt you down, cloroform you, and bathe your SKULL in Dihexa - I'd like to see that synaptic pruning hold up to a MILLION times stronger Synaptic Growth! Come at me, Synaptic pruning! I'm a million man strong!

#35 MichaelTheAnhedonic

• 179 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

I was going to give you a thumbs up for getting Simple Schiz diagnose - I mean, you FIT the bill! Having it paper helps your Dr. in finding the right treatment for you, and gives you rights to disability-assistance and so forth - but alas, I'm saddened to hear that you've got Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. : (

Hmm... might want to start a thread regarding Hashimoto's, yes? In another part of the forum - so you can get to the bottom of that - really sink your teeth into it, and start figuring some stuff out - there MUST be SOMEthing that can be done about that!

(below is written a rather bad attempt at comedy:)

As for Simple Schiz: if it was up to me, I would, as always, hunt you down, cloroform you, and bathe your SKULL in Dihexa - I'd like to see that synaptic pruning hold up to a MILLION times stronger Synaptic Growth! Come at me, Synaptic pruning! I'm a million man strong!

Why you're saddened about Hashimoto's?

Anyway, I spoke with my doc about Dihexa and he said that if it's that good then companies would invest any money in it to hit the market. So I dunno what to think.

#36 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

>https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5613125/

>http://schizophrenia.com/?p=401

>https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5290293/ "Here we demonstrate that interneuron transplants into the vHipp alleviate not only positive, but also negative and cognitive symptoms in the MAM rodent model"

>http://www.gulfcoast...-cfs-sufferers/

They're still trying it in rodent models of schizophrenia. This is still far far away from being a treatment option for humans.

• Agree x 1

#37 Hip

• 2,357 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:34 PM

Just discovered that glucuronolactone (a natural ingredient in some energy drinks) noticeably improves my anhedonia. See this thread

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#38 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:43 AM

This is very interesting. Flat/blunted affect can also be related to mild traumatic brain injury. I have read that the opioid system in the brain helps dull the pain of social rejection. One theory is that people who experience a lot of social isolation have an overworked opioid system and their facial expression system shuts down. Do we have any more research on this topic?

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anhedonia, no emotions, treatments, cure, emotional numbness, how to cure anhedonia, emotionally numb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users