Short term memory

working memory vyvanse

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 utmostbest

• 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

Hi!

I have decided to proceed and drop a post at Your site since it look as a vivid community that is happy to help.

Im a mildly depressed person smoking pot almost every night. I am looking to offset the effect of weed has on my memory with some med. I would need working memory improving substances. I am considering Modafinil, But am afraid of it because of the risk of sjs.
Im considering vyvanse because it would up my mood and motivation, not sure How would it affect my learning and working memory.

Any input appriciated,
Thanks!

#2 nickthird

• 249 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:24 AM

The only thing I ever found to increase digit span in clinical trials is Xanomeline, I made a thread on that. I don't know how to get it though.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:00 PM

simple, stop smoking pot and treat depression. depression is also known as pseudo-dementia.

#4 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

The only thing I ever found to increase digit span in clinical trials is Xanomeline, I made a thread on that. I don't know how to get it though.

The supplementation of PM (Polygonum minus) showed significant intervention effect on Digit Span test (P<0.05) social functioning domain of 36-Item Short Form Health Survey (P<0.05) among subjects with mood disturbance. While, among subjects with good mood, PM supplementation improved Wechsler Abbreviated Scale of Intelligence (WASI) for IQ verbal (P=0.016) and Full Scale IQ of WASI (P=0.004). There were no adverse effects reported for the supplementation as indicated using biomarkers, including liver function and clinical symptoms.

One such cognitive domain that GBE has shown to improve across a number of studies is Working Memory (WM) [10152324]. A previous study from our laboratory [15] revealed that 30-day administration of 120x2009.gifmg/day GBE in young volunteers resulted in significant improvements in both digit span backwards and working memory speed. In a review of 29 randomized clinical trials examining the cognitive effects of GBE, Kaschel [22] concluded that as many as 20.7% of WM tests in chronic GBE trials had yielded significant results

for a similar study see Shader et al Ginkgo Wechsler digit symbol substitution

• similar results turn up en masse for bacopa and ginseng if you plug this into google: "digit span" ncbi saponin
  • a general study on galantamine and cognitive function (which mentions digit span, at least in passing) reports a generally positive result [!]
  • a study found a positive result for epa, dha, and vitamin d, suggesting a superiority of natural fish (sardines, salmon, tuna) which happen to also be rich sources of natural vitamin d.  it is likely these benefits even outweigh the precautionary efforts taken to distill mercury out of refined fish oils.  fish supplies iodine, selenium, as well as a unique balance of amino acids

i'm sure similar results could be obtained from more synthetic stuff, it's just we haven't done the experiments yet, e.g. amphetamine, armodafinil, methylene blue, desmopressin, C16, cerebrolysin, faso-, colu-, nefi-, or phenyl-piracetam, NA-Semax, tianeptine, and anything along those lines

in the end the test isn't a great predictor anyways.  a 90 year old may have at best a 6 digit span compared someone younger with 9, however it also matters what you're thinking about.. what are your logical atoms, are you laying casing stones or mere bricks?  for all we know the 90 year old could be some badass british philosopher who's owning your existence in every possible way

as for the marihuana, i don't know why but i have this image stuck in my mind of Mr. carl sagan breaking the corner off a brick of hashish before sitting down to put the finishing touches on his Cosmos finale

Edited by gamesguru, 28 September 2017 - 04:00 PM.

#5 nickthird

• 249 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

The study with Polygonum minus is of very poor quality. I don't trust the results, and here is why: the initial digit span in the placebo group is 7 while that in the intervention is 9, meaning the sample was not randomized correctly. I believe the average digit span in the population is 7 and 9 should be rather rare. Also, the placebo group improved to a digit span of 11, and that should just not be possible if the digit span was measured correctly, which it clearly wasn't. Finally, the digit span going down from week 3 to week 6 in the placebo group indicates the measurement was not done correctly.

Do you have that ginko study they mention in the refs because the only link to full text that I found is dead?

The becopa study reported an increase of about 0.6 in digit span.

I don't know anything about the rest.

I agree that digit span may not really indicate useful memory function. I can get a digit span of 9 or 10 but I have worse than average short term memory and I find it hard to follow in class because I forget where formulas come from.

• Good Point x 1

#6 utmostbest

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

Hey peeps Thanks for the input!!

#7 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:08 PM

Do you have that ginko study they mention in the refs because the only link to full text that I found is dead?

The becopa study reported an increase of about 0.6 in digit span.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/19551805

https://www.ncbi.nlm...cles/PMC3166615

and if bacopa can boost it by 0.6, which is clearly well within the 'statistically significant' boundary, and many of these herbs aren't too effective except in the right combination (when it can really sneak up on you) then i don't see where all your skepticism is coming from.  you take bacopa and gingko that gives you maybe 0.9 together, and with changing diet and getting 5 hrs active exercise a week you can get up to 1.2 or 1.5 even.  at that point every little thing adds up in a piecemeal fashion... meditation, counseling and partaking in an ongoing education might give you a 10% boost in working memory, a proper balance of magnesium and zinc alone might give a 5% boost, while addressing any lingering dehydration concerns could yield a modest 30% boost.  the first instinct should not be turning for some little known pharmaceutical, but only when the naturals have let us down does that then become acceptable

#8 displayname

• 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

"Knowledge is obligatory, forgetting is a luxury."

• Needs references x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:23 AM

oh really?  so what did you have for breakfast on may 3rd?

• unsure x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: working memory, vyvanse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users