i'm fast learner, but also fast forgetter

learning forgetting memory

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

as far as I remembered, so it's not aging.

i did very well in schools, but not so much in the real life. I mean, I'm a reasonably successful professional, but below my real potential.

i'm also attracted to novelty and bored by things easily. easy to start new projects and incredibly hard to complete them (I know, this part sounds like ADHD a lot).

Does it ring a bell to anyone? Anyone with a similar story? Especially the easy learning/easy forgetting part? The parts that are the hardest for me to remember are names and faces (really bad in my professional life and limits my social life too).

Thanks for reading!

#2 msbost

• 18 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:37 PM

Can you provide me with more information about your physical constitution. Are you thin? do you feel cold in your extremities? Is your skin dry? do you have a good steady stamina, or are you more of a "burst" kind of guy?

As for memory, I remember a part of an important neuroscience book where it was mentioned that memories are stored very well, but other neuronal activities may overlap and thus suppress your ability to recall.  In my limited view you can go with memories in two ways; either reinforce more connections so that the chance of recall is higher, or you suppress memories that deplete/disrupt your ability to recall. If I were you then I would stay away from memory enhancers unless you can create an environment that will allow you to focus on a particular subject alone. You are likely to be a creative person, so perhaps you can find a unique way that works for you.

PS: My above opinions include facts along with personal speculations.  

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

Can you provide me with more information about your physical constitution. Are you thin? do you feel cold in your extremities? Is your skin dry? do you have a good steady stamina, or are you more of a "burst" kind of guy?

As for memory, I remember a part of an important neuroscience book where it was mentioned that memories are stored very well, but other neuronal activities may overlap and thus suppress your ability to recall.  In my limited view you can go with memories in two ways; either reinforce more connections so that the chance of recall is higher, or you suppress memories that deplete/disrupt your ability to recall. If I were you then I would stay away from memory enhancers unless you can create an environment that will allow you to focus on a particular subject alone. You are likely to be a creative person, so perhaps you can find a unique way that works for you.

PS: My above opinions include facts along with personal speculations.  

thanks for reading and replying.

i've been obese most of my adulthood (genetic, runs in my family), but only mildly overweight as child and adolescent. now, i actually lost a lot of weight and i do not see correlation between weight and memory. at least i'm not malnourished for sure.

no cold in extremities, but sometimes i feel parasthesia in my hands, especially on a long car trip (maybe i'm holding the wheel too hard?). no dry skin. actually i used to sweat a lot, it's less bad with aging and weight loss.

no stamina, i get very tired and sleepy while exercising, it was even true when young and fit. i've been near comatose a few times after running at a school competition a few times.

i'm known to have low testosterone as adult (and probably adolescent too, but no proof) and currently (self) treated for that. it helped me to function better overall, not nowhere near the top of my capabilities.

you are right, it could be a recall issue, and i did find a few times my memories got corrupted and i remembered it wrong. it's almost like a hard drive that starts to malfunction and still works but creates lost files and errors from time to time. like i said, it's a life long thing. i'm not necessarily looking for solutions at this point (i'm reasonably adjusted) and there may be none, but i'm curious nevertheless if anyone else has that and what's causing it.

it would be cool if i could participate in some kind of memory study. i may need to search for that.

Edited by jack black, 04 October 2017 - 02:57 PM.

#4 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

one more thing. i googled on the association of low testosterone and memory deficits as i realized i had a knowledge gap here.

the initial search results show faster forgetting indeed: http://www.foxnews.c...emory-loss.html

but it was from foxnews, so it could not be trusted. indeed, literature review reveals inconclusive results on that: https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4333639/

so, i don't think it's that.

while i did experience lifting of depression and tiredness with treatment (and some weight loss), there were no memory changes whatsoever.

Edited by jack black, 04 October 2017 - 06:55 PM.

#5 msbost

• 18 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:44 PM

yeah, I don't feel that hormone therapy is the right thing for you. Generally when you are deficient in testosterone then one would consider levels of zinc in the body.  For now, can you  answer the following questions:

1) Do you have any digestion issues?

2) Did your past blood test results reflect an anomaly?

3) Were there any issues with liver, kidneys, or lungs?

I will add in one more question in pms. 

• like x 1

#6 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:45 PM

yeah, I don't feel that hormone therapy is the right thing for you. Generally when you are deficient in testosterone then one would consider levels of zinc in the body.  For now, can you  answer the following questions:

1) Do you have any digestion issues?

2) Did your past blood test results reflect an anomaly?

3) Were there any issues with liver, kidneys, or lungs?

I will add in one more question in pms. 

the answer is no x3. the only other medical issue is prediabetes, but well controlled by diet and metformin.

i used zink supplements in the past and zero effects (including no bump in testosterone numbers).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 msbost

• 18 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:31 AM

Based on what you said then your constitution should be fine. Perhaps there is a psychological cause. Maybe you need to sustain your motivation better, and exercise your willpower more so that you can better recall the information that you seek. It is easier to resolve physical problems, but the psychological issues tend to be tricky and may require quite a bit of patience.  Drugs may help you but they are not sustainable, and their impact is not specific enough. You may utilize dopaminergics (medications for ADHD) to get more motivation, but these stimulants do not work well for high-level thinking activities.  

This might be tough, and you may experience some psychological pain at the start, but if you are financially stable then get music lessons to play instrumental music (Violin, Piano, etc) or find a way where you can engage in new activities and sustain your engagement for long periods of time. If you can sustain your will power for longer periods of time then completing projects will be easier. Likewise, willpower is related to attention and single-mindedness. You only focus on your task. Therefore, if you can only focus on recalling the information then I believe that your ability to recall facts will be heightened.  This development could take few months or few years. Another option is to seek guidance from meditation experts (Buddhist monks, Yogis, Sufi mystics, etc) as they have been tackling mind issues for thousands for years.  

This post I made reflects my humble opinion. Use your judgement to decide on what to accept or reject.

• Well Written x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: learning, forgetting, memory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users