Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Blueberries vs. Aronia (Extracts)

anthocyanins

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 YOLF

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:13 PM

What do you guys know about Aronia? The benefit spectrum of anthocyanins seems to be distinct between sources. Grape seed extract, bilberry extract, and blueberry extract definitely provide different benefits/effects and the list goes on. So why supplement with or eat aronia? What distinguishes it from other anthocyanin sources?

I've also noted that anthocyanin densities can differ greatly and may affect price. Are aronias significantly higher per weight in anthos than say blueberries?

• Ill informed x 1

#2 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

Phenol explorer can clarify the content in different foods, for example for Black chokeberry:

http://phenol-explor...ntents/food/106

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:26 PM

Phenol explorer can clarify the content in different foods, for example for Black chokeberry:

http://phenol-explor...ntents/food/106

Looks promising.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#4 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

I've read several sources claiming that aronia has the highest concentration of anthocyanins of any food (~1500mg per 100g), whereas blueberries only contain around 100-200mg / 100g. In terms of cost efficiency for anthocyanins, it can't be beat. I've been buying dried organic aronia (grown in Vermont) on ebay http://www.ebay.com/...ry/182846247643 and not only is it much cheaper than unsweetened dried blueberries/bilberries, but the taste is much better. Tart, sweet, and just slightly astringent. This has been my regular post-meal "dessert" for a while now.

They do leave your tongue purple for hours after eating them, but that's a small price to pay for the high anthocyanin and polyphenol content.

• Informative x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#5 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:56 AM

I've read several sources claiming that aronia has the highest concentration of anthocyanins of any food (~1500mg per 100g), whereas blueberries only contain around 100-200mg / 100g. In terms of cost efficiency for anthocyanins, it can't be beat. I've been buying dried organic aronia (grown in Vermont) on ebay http://www.ebay.com/...ry/182846247643 and not only is it much cheaper than unsweetened dried blueberries/bilberries, but the taste is much better. Tart, sweet, and just slightly astringent. This has been my regular post-meal "dessert" for a while now.

They do leave your tongue purple for hours after eating them, but that's a small price to pay for the high anthocyanin and polyphenol content.

Well, the standard dose of blueberry anthocyanins (25%) at 500mg contains 125mg, so it takes 8.4g of aronia to get a similar dose... so the question is, is the 100g wet or dried? Dried is generally 1/10th the weight, so that could mean only having to eat an 840mg capsule of aronia to get a pro cosmetic dose of aronia. I imagine there is a desugared/decarbed 5:1 or so extract available somewhere, though ronia raisins might be good.

It certainly helps to have alternatives to blueberries... so far everything I've bulk ordered so far has been counterfeit and I'm down to my last bag of powder city stock :( But the 36:1 and 40:1 extracts of aronia look every bit as black as blueberry anthos that would cost 5x as much.

The only question that remains is how comparable aronia berries are to blueberries. Would you say they provide cosmetic benefits? Cognitive benefits?

Bilberry anthos will make your eyes hurt from excessive blood flow to them if you eat them more than very sparingly of for two many days in a row. I guess aronia doesn't do that?

#6 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:43 AM

That is 1500 mg / 100g fresh weight (see: http://pubs.acs.org/....1021/jf0486850). Aronia is pretty low sugar on it's own, much less than raisins or even blueberries. Considering the high polyphenol content, I can't imagine sugar content really matters anyway, unless you're trying to remain in ketosis, and even then you might could get by with eating just a small handful.  Assuming fresh to dry berry ratio is 10:1, then you are looking at 1500 mg anthocyanins in just 10 grams dried fruit. Conservatively, it would be maybe more like 1000mg / 10 grams dry weight. A ridiculous value compared to how expensive anthocyanin extracts are.

FWIW, i've eaten 1/2 lb quantities of wild blueberries at a time, and easily 30+ gram quantities of aronia and never noticed any eye discomfort.

As for cognitive benefits, I see no reason why they would not be equivalent or greater than blueberries https://scholar.goog...ia memory&btnG=

Edited by Adaptogen, 01 November 2017 - 04:03 AM.

• Agree x 1

#7 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

Just to be clear, I only get eye pain from bilberry anthocyanins or doses exceeding 100mg of bilberry 5:1 extract.

I'll have to give these a try. I'm thinking it must be the black aronia that has the 1500mg/100g of fruit. Their are extracts of 10% available, and a dry decarbed extract would be expected to contain more than 15%. So they'd either have to be watered down or nor all berries reach that kind of antho density. The purple chokeberries/purple aronia definitely don't have the 1500mg/100g anthocyanin content as their powder doesn't look that dark. Still, for the difference in cost, I'm probably getting alot more actives from aronia. 

#8 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:59 PM

...so far everything I've bulk ordered so far has been counterfeit

How did you determine it was counterfeit?

#9 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

...so far everything I've bulk ordered so far has been counterfeit

How did you determine it was counterfeit?

It was underweight and the color and other metrics were way off. 

#10 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:41 PM

I'll have to give these a try. I'm thinking it must be the black aronia that has the 1500mg/100g of fruit. Their are extracts of 10% available, and a dry decarbed extract would be expected to contain more than 15%. So they'd either have to be watered down or nor all berries reach that kind of antho density. The purple chokeberries/purple aronia definitely don't have the 1500mg/100g anthocyanin content as their powder doesn't look that dark. Still, for the difference in cost, I'm probably getting alot more actives from aronia. 

Aronia melanocarpa is the black, highest anthocyanin variety and is the only variety i've seen being sold as whole dried fruit.

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anthocyanins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users